PDA

View Full Version : What is more important on Defense?

IDB Josh M
03-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Protect the paint? Protect the Perimeter?

I just watch the games I know nothing about playing or coaching. So which is it fellas?

Hawkeye15
03-25-2009, 06:06 PM
its both really, but I always thought that if you have good, active perimete defenders, it takes stress of the interior guys, cause the passes coming into the guys they are guarding are uncomfortable ones, the defense doesn't get broken down as much, shots are challenged, and posessions take longer. But in the NBA, not one man can stay in front of a lot of the great players, so there has to be something there to protect the rim.

madiaz3
03-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Depends on the opposing team's players?

You don't want a known lights-out three point shooting team beating you from the outside but you don't want to give a bunch of known cutters and slashers a free lane inside. You pick your poison and generally you go with the lesser of two evils. In my own opinion I'd say to protect the inside though, it's much harder for a team to beat you from the outside all night than own the inside.

DerekRE_3
03-25-2009, 06:10 PM
I've always thought perimeter defense was more important. Once a guy penetrates into the lane, it opens up everything for the offense. They can dish it inside to a big man for a dunk, and if the defense collapses into the pain, they can kick it out for an open jumper. Once you let a guy into the paint, the defense is playing catch up for the rest of the possession. Also, keeping guys from driving keeps your bigs out of foul trouble.

still1ballin
03-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Perimeter....I've seen it burn the Lakers many times.

Hawkeye15
03-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Depends on the opposing team's players?

You don't want a known lights-out three point shooting team beating you from the outside but you don't want to give a bunch of known cutters and slashers a free lane inside. You pick your poison and generally you go with the lesser of two evils. In my own opinion I'd say to protect the inside though, it's much harder for a team to beat you from the outside all night than own the inside.

but shooting isnt the only thing. Having poor perimeter defense allows guards to walk into the lane, and no big man can be a great defender if he is having to cover up mistakes from the outside.

JJ81
03-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Depends on who you're playing.

JayW_1023
03-25-2009, 06:41 PM
Getting a high percentage look is always failsafe when shots aren't falling...so my vote goes to protecting the rim.

You cannot be a dominant defensive team without a dominant weakside defender...preferably a big man. That second line of defense has to always be there.

Hawkeye15
03-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Depends on who you're playing.

what if you are playing the Lakers? Or San Antonio? They have both on offense. I think if you make it difficult for Kobe or Manu and Parker to get good looks, and don't just let the guards loft the ball into the post you have a better chance. If Duncan, Gasol, or Bynum catch it deep, too late now

Bucsfan
03-25-2009, 06:46 PM
depends on the team your facing, i would say protect the paint, the chance of a shot going in within 5-10 feet is alot better than 3's on a consistent basis

Lost Art
03-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Protecting the paint BY A MILE! I'd take my chances on a jump shot over a layup any day of the week ;)

LAKERS 24/7
03-25-2009, 07:11 PM
The paint no doubt. Every single player in the NBA can make a layup (Insert Kwame Brown Joke here). Make them beat you from the outside.

ChitownbullsBG7
03-25-2009, 07:48 PM
If you protect the perimeter you will get burned on the inside for over pursuing. If you protect the paint, you will get burned by the open man.

So basically you have to do both.

td0tsfinest
03-25-2009, 08:49 PM
you definitely need both. to be a great team.

but if i had to pick one, it would be interior defense; look how much a difference KG makes to the celtics D.
Another great defensive team: the Spurs and the Detroit Pistons of old with Ben and Rasheed Wallace was the best defensive team the nba had seen for years.

IDB Josh M
03-25-2009, 10:21 PM
For everyone who says both, you do realize its a cop-out response right? No duh you need both to be a great team. The question is, which do you prefer to focus on.

Protect the paint I say. Live by the three, die by the three.

Edit: I'll also add this. When I watch games, nothing is more annoying than interior passing and then hitting an open layup or God forbid, a slam dunk. When you get closer to the rim, good defense usually equates to low percentage circus shots. When it comes to defending the perimeter though, there are shooters than can make three pointers and long two's whether they have a hand in their face or not.

ggg
03-25-2009, 10:36 PM
both. you gotta force the ball to go to one side so when you double team a guy a force like duncan or howard, the only guy youll leave is on the other side and for the ball to get into that guy's hands you gotta cross pass and by that time the defense had already reset leaving a broken play and confusion. but you gotta save this when making a run late in the game. you do it too often the opponent will always find a way to counter it.

so yeah, make em work for their rhythm through contested jumpshots than easy lay ins

Chronz
03-25-2009, 11:33 PM
The best defensive teams have typically took away the 3pt shot, so I say eliminating the 3.