PDA

View Full Version : Backup Mavs player questions Kobe's trust issues

JordansBulls
03-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Source: Fannation (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/96790-backup-mav-questions-kobes-trust-issues?eref=fromSI)

Mavericks backup center Ryan Hollins made an appearance on Michael Irvin's ESPN radio show yesterday. The 7-footer declined a request by ex-Cowboy offensive lineman/Irvin sidekick Nate Newton to publicly demand more playing time, but Hollins made it clear he believes he can help the Mavs win now and in the playoffs. Hollins went so far as to provide some insight on how the Mavs could succeed as an 8 seed against the Lakers, whom he acknowledged were the team to beat. The key: Take advantage of Kobe's selfishness. "Kobe Bryant is one of the greatest players in the game, and I think sometimes he has issues trusting his teammates," said Hollins, who probably saw a lot of Lakers games while playing college ball at UCLA. "Maybe we catch them off guard, kind of get Kobe into playing a little one-on-one or doing a little too much, I think we've got a shot at them definitely."

LTS
03-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Not a bad thought but you dont wanna get him to pissed off like artest did earlier this year

GodsSon
03-25-2009, 12:39 PM
while his assessment is pretty true, why would you publicly come out and say it? Keep your strategy quiet and come out and surprise them; instead, this guy probably just riled Bean up.

what54!?
03-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Better hope kobe doesn't hear this....

fresh prince
03-25-2009, 01:35 PM
This wont work for 3 reasons

1. The Mavs dont have any comparable wing player that Kobe would feel the need to show up. The only time these days that Kobe goes into one on one mode is against Lebron or Wade..Josh Howard doesn't meet the criteria

2. Kobe actually does trust his teammates now. Now that he has capable teammates He gives up the rock willingly even in crunch time. When the options were Smush Parker, Kwame Brown and Brian Cook he was selfish and rightfully so.

3. Kobe has matured. When he is going off and lighting teams up then he'll keep at it. Thats the Mamba instict. But if he is "doing too much" and not making shots he now will scale back where as in earlier years he would keep attacking no matter what. This is a direct result in his high fg % this year. He now scales back when his shot is falling and his shot selection has improved dramatically.

Basically Ryan Hollins is thinking about the Kobe that he saw when he was at UCLA when the 2 - 4 options were Lamar, Smush, Kwame Brown.

The Lakers are a different team now and Kobe is a different cat.

Brooke
03-25-2009, 01:40 PM
does he want to get him pissed off? Didnt work too well with Artest

1. The Mavs dont have any comparable wing player that Kobe would feel the need to show up. The only time these days that Kobe goes into one on one mode is against Lebron or Wade..Josh Howard doesn't meet the criteria

2. Kobe actually does trust his teammates now. Now that he has capable teammates He gives up the rock willingly even in crunch time. When the options were Smush Parker, Kwame Brown and Brian Cook he was selfish and rightfully so.

3. Kobe has matured if he is going off and lighting teams up then he'll keep at it. Thats the Mamba instict. But if he is "doing too much" and not making shots he now will scale back where as in earlier years he would keep attacking no matter what. This is a direct result in his high fg % this year. He now scales back when his shot is falling and his shot selection has improved dramatically.

Basically Ryan Hollins is thinking about the Kobe that he saw when he was at UCLA when the 2 - 4 options were Lamar, Smush, Kwame Brown.

Completely agree :clap:

superkegger
03-25-2009, 01:42 PM
To a point he's right. But, Kobe has matured, and while it might work in one game, Kobe is smart enough to realize it, and Phil knows how to work those kind of things out. Plus, he has Fish and Pau, and he totally and completely trusts those guys. He still has some tendencies to be overly aggressive offensively, as he sometimes should. But even if Hollins feels this is a tactic they can employ, why let Kobe know about it ahead of time? Dumb.

WSU Tony
03-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Has a single person without a Kobe sig or living outside of the bay area dissagreed with this article so far?

Lakers4ItAll
03-25-2009, 01:51 PM
DAL doesn't stand a chance

madiaz3
03-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Has a single person without a Kobe sig or living outside of the bay area dissagreed with this article so far?

Yeah, I do.

still1ballin
03-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Who the hell is "Ryan Hollins" to question Kobes trust issues?

Lost Art
03-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Kobe pretty much always DESTROYS the Mavs. This was a dumb comment to make for some backup on the Mavs bench, I'm sure that the Mavs aren't going to appreciate this. Good luck getting more playing time...........and good luck handling Kobe and the Lakers in the playoffs ;)

cjetswin71
03-25-2009, 02:12 PM
Dallas would have to get the series to a crucial game 7. Thats usually when Lamar Odom and company usually fold. With the addition of a recovering Bynum to the mix who knows what would happen, but if Kobi does decide to pull a "team player" act like he did in the finals, (Game 6) the results would be catastrophic.

KobeIs
03-25-2009, 02:17 PM
lol even if kobe decides to play one man basketball, he'd still be able to beat the mavs. sorry, im being serious too.

Wilson
03-25-2009, 02:26 PM

3. Kobe has matured. When he is going off and lighting teams up then he'll keep at it. Thats the Mamba instict. But if he is "doing too much" and not making shots he now will scale back where as in earlier years he would keep attacking no matter what. This is a direct result in his high fg % this year. He now scales back when his shot is falling and his shot selection has improved dramatically.

To a point he's right. But, Kobe has matured, and while it might work in one game, Kobe is smart enough to realize it, and Phil knows how to work those kind of things out. Plus, he has Fish and Pau, and he totally and completely trusts those guys. He still has some tendencies to be overly aggressive offensively, as he sometimes should. But even if Hollins feels this is a tactic they can employ, why let Kobe know about it ahead of time? Dumb.

Agreed. Kobe has matured a LOT since Shaq left, and he definately does trust his team-mates more. Like fresh prince said, one key reason is that his team-mates are much more competent now than they were from '05-'07.

Hollins may be on to something if he thinks the Mavs could shut down the Lakers' supporting cast, making Kobe try to do too much, but I don't think they're good enough to totally shut down Pau Gasol, or an aggresive Lamar Odom. Even if they were, like superkegger said, Kobe is a smart enough player to be able to figure it out for himself now.

Lastly, like a few people have said, why would you want to give this information away for free? If you want more playing time, surely you go to your coach and talk to him, and present this stretegy to him. That's going to get you a lot further than bringing all this stuff public...

When the Lakers were having some problems at the SF spot, it was Luke Walton who went to Phil Jackson and suggested he may fit better with the bench unit, allowing Trevor Ariza to start. That's a much better way to go about it than to start stirring things up in public...

24>23
03-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Ryan Hollins?? Shouldn't he be coming up with a way to earn a starting spot over Ericka Dampier and Diop? Who is he, anyway? He's the 2009 Kobe Stopper, I guess. PLEASE!!

MJ-BULLS
03-25-2009, 02:50 PM
ryan hollins?????:confused:

majmarcus
03-25-2009, 03:00 PM
He probably does question Kobe's trust in his teammates.But let's see if he'll question the *** whoopin' the Lakers put on them in the playoffs.You'd think fresh off of Kobe puttin Artest on blast for runnin his lips,the league would take notice.But I guess not.Lakers in 5 @ the most.

x_notorious
03-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Does this scrub also question the Lakers best record in the West?

Who wouldn't be selfish when your best players were guys like Cook, Kwame Brown, Smush Parker and Luke Walton? Now that he actually has some teammates that can produce and he can trust, Kobe has matured by quite a bit.

And if Kobe does get into that zone where he starts taking over, who on earth is going to stop him, specifically on the Mavs?

Just another scrub trying to get publicity. He better hope he doesn't get thrown in to guard Kobe in a possible first round match-up. I'm sure Kobe will read this and take it into account if they play.

snickers
03-25-2009, 03:14 PM
lol even if kobe decides to play one man basketball, he'd still be able to beat the mavs. sorry, im being serious too.

does 2006 ring a bell.

thapharcyd
03-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Mavs need to worry about making the playoffs before they start questioning the Lakers
:confused:

JordansBulls
03-25-2009, 03:29 PM
Dallas would have to get the series to a crucial game 7. Thats usually when Lamar Odom and company usually fold. With the addition of a recovering Bynum to the mix who knows what would happen, but if Kobi does decide to pull a "team player" act like he did in the finals, (Game 6) the results would be catastrophic.

Dallas doesn't have enough to take it 7 games. Had they had Devin Harris of now instead of Kidd then you may have a point.

lakerboy
03-25-2009, 03:40 PM
This guy probably won't even get a single minute of playing time in the playoffs. What the hell is a Ryan Hollins?

The Ooh Child
03-25-2009, 03:54 PM
Why was someone interviewing Ryan Hollins?

_Sn1P3r_
03-25-2009, 03:58 PM
Better hope kobe doesn't hear this....

Haha I know, Kobe will just go off.

ChitownbullsBG7
03-25-2009, 04:01 PM
aaaa........... Who is Ryan Hollins?

DerekRE_3
03-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Ryan Hollins?? Shouldn't he be coming up with a way to earn a starting spot over Ericka Dampier and Diop? Who is he, anyway? He's the 2009 Kobe Stopper, I guess. PLEASE!!

It would be pretty much impossible for Hollins to steal playing time away from Diop. For two reasons:

1) It's Gana freaking Diop
2) He's on the Bobcats

In fact, Hollins was apart of the trade that brought lil Diopy boy to Charlotte in the first place.

JayW_1023
03-25-2009, 04:08 PM
I was expecting Devean George to say that NOT Ryan Hollins...

still1ballin
03-25-2009, 04:13 PM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0806/nba.finals.celebrity.picks/images/ryan-hollins.jpg

LAKERS 24/7
03-25-2009, 04:14 PM
Why was someone interviewing Ryan Hollins?

:laugh:

All this Ryan Hollins hate is hilarious.

ChitownbullsBG7
03-25-2009, 04:21 PM
Who is ****ing Ryan Hollins? Can someone PLEASE fill me in.

Lakersfan2483
03-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Source: Fannation (http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/96790-backup-mav-questions-kobes-trust-issues?eref=fromSI)

There was absolutely no reason for this guy to pop off at the mouth like this, he should just shut up and be happy he's even on a team. You don't win 57 games, win an MVP, go the finals (last season) and have 3 titles if you can't lead and play team basketball. It's a non-issue for the Lakers especially coming from someone who most casual sports fans have never heard of.

Soxfan
03-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Ryan Hollins may be a no-name to a lot of people, but he is in the NBA. Which means he knows a lot more about defensive schemes, and has played games against and practiced with guys that no one in this forum could even dream of being on the same basketball floor with. I'll take his word against all these people up Kobe's ***, defending every statement made about him. He didn't "pop" his mouth off, he gave a way that he thinks the Lakers can be beat. Every time anyone speaks a bad word about the Lakers it's treated as blasphemy. Give me a break, obviously the Lakers are beatable. They get way too much respect for a team who hasn't won a championship since Shaq left. Bynum this Bynum that, excuses, excuses thats all I ever hear. If Kobe was as good as you say he is then he would've been able to beat the Celtics with the team he had last year, or at least made a series of it. Bring it on Laker girls defend your man!

stawka
03-25-2009, 07:40 PM
Ryan who?!

Watch Kobe average 8 points and 20 assists in the series :smoking:

Testaverde16
03-25-2009, 07:47 PM
hmmm..... still don't think the Mavs have a chance....

fresh prince
03-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Ryan Hollins may be a no-name to a lot of people, but he is in the NBA. Which means he knows a lot more about defensive schemes, and has played games against and practiced with guys that no one in this forum could even dream of being on the same basketball floor with. I'll take his word against all these people up Kobe's ***, defending every statement made about him. He didn't "pop" his mouth off, he gave a way that he thinks the Lakers can be beat. Every time anyone speaks a bad word about the Lakers it's treated as blasphemy. Give me a break, obviously the Lakers are beatable. They get way too much respect for a team who hasn't won a championship since Shaq left. Bynum this Bynum that, excuses, excuses thats all I ever hear. If Kobe was as good as you say he is then he would've been able to beat the Celtics with the team he had last year, or at least made a series of it. Bring it on Laker girls defend your man!

Speak for yourself, I've hooped with Ryan Hollins at UCLA during the summer. And In HS Played with and against Jason Kapono, Casey Jacobson, Jeff Trepainger and other dudes who have made the League..

Not that any of that matters but not all cats in the NBA or in pro sports for that matter are rocket scientist. And because Hollins has hooped with some great basketball minds doesn't automatically make Hollins a hoops braniac. I kicked it with Chad Johnson, Steven Jackson,Nick Barnett, TJ Houshmanzadeh at Oregon State so does that make me a NFL expert? No I'm an expert because I know my sh**

The Lakers are beatable just like every other team. But the answer to beating the Lakers does not involve making Kobe Bryant go one on one. He's smarter than that these days. The reason why the Lakers couldn't beat the C's last year is because the Celtics had a better TEAM..End of story