PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Minnesota Timberwolves

JordansBulls
03-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Did anyone believe that team with Garnett, Sprewell and Cassell was good enough to win the title that year in 2004? Had they not met the Lakers would they have beaten the Spurs and/or Pistons or even the Pacers?

isuk
03-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Nope. That's why they didn't win it all.

madiaz3
03-25-2009, 10:56 AM
I thought the excuse that year was injuries.
I also don't think Sprewell and Cassell were as good as what actually was needed for KG to win a championship in Allen and Pierce.

kEviN21
03-25-2009, 11:13 AM
The team was deep but KG still had the load on him. They couldn't handle Shaq at his best.

op12
03-25-2009, 11:20 AM
they also had wally and troy hudson who actually both played well that year. i think their c was kandy man and there was no way they could contend with shaq. i think they could have won it that year if they didnt have to play the lakers. the pistons would have still been a tough match up.

WSU Tony
03-25-2009, 11:20 AM
If I remember right "the alien" had back problems or something like that. Look at where the franchise has gone since then, wow. This team has never moved up on draft day I think they are deserving this year. I bet Rubio will come out and then the Wolves will move up to the third spot. :laugh: Just our luck!

ryguy2k7
03-25-2009, 11:22 AM
2004 Wolves and 1998 Vikings (2002 twins were close) were the only two Minnesota sports teams in the past 15 years that ever had a chance to actually win a title.

Too bad they always choke.

Testaverde16
03-25-2009, 11:42 AM
They likely could've taken the Spurs, but I wouldn't say they could've won it all.

JordansBulls
03-25-2009, 04:01 PM
You think Detroit would have beaten San Antonio or Minny that year?

superkegger
03-25-2009, 04:04 PM

I think Detroit would have beaten everyone but San Antonio.

Hawkeye15
03-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Cassell's hip was useless by the Laker series. But LA was a bad matchup for the Wolves. The Wolves were a better matchup against the Pistons than the Lakers though. They beat them both times in the regular season easily. BUt excuses are for losers. They didn't beat the Lakers. I think they would have had a far better showing against Detroit though, they played that style of basketball. Great defense, and slow down ball.

Hawkeye15
03-25-2009, 04:49 PM
why even bring this up? Like WOlves fans don't suffer enough??

Hawkeye15
03-25-2009, 04:50 PM
We have never had higher than a #3 pick, our stupid owner and GM signed Joe freaking Smith to an illegal contract, costing us 4 first round picks and $3 million. The only great player we ever groomed we had to trade away because our GM gave stupid long term deals to average players, and we drafted Ray Allen, Brandon Roy, and traded them both away before they even put on a uniform. Why doesn't everyone on PSD line up and kick me in the balls. It would be less painful

superkegger
03-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Maybe JB just hates you?

thesparky33
03-25-2009, 06:06 PM
Did anyone believe that team with Garnett, Sprewell and Cassell was good enough to win the title that year in 2004? Had they not met the Lakers would they have beaten the Spurs and/or Pistons or even the Pacers?
I think it wasnt just because they played the Lakers. Cassell was out the entire series, and we had to start Derrick Martin at PG, because we didnt have one... that's pretty short handed if you ask me. And we still took it to 6 games. I know I'm a homer and biased, so take my opinion lightly, but I think we have a close series and winnable series against the Lakers if we have a healthy Cassell. We beat the Kings without Cassell for the last few games of that series too. People dont remember that. Garnett really carried that team.

they also had wally and troy hudson who actually both played well that year. i think their c was kandy man and there was no way they could contend with shaq. i think they could have won it that year if they didnt have to play the lakers. the pistons would have still been a tough match up.
Wally and Hudson were both injured for most if not all of the season. Wally came back at the end, and produced well in the playoffs, but was out for at least 85% or so of the season. I think Hudson was out the entire time. If we would have had Hudson, I dont really think we start Derrick Martin against the Lakers in the WCF...

It's hard to say. I think Minnesota healthy would have beat Detroit, probably Spurs as well.

Hawkeye15
03-25-2009, 06:12 PM

No, Hudson was already working on his rap career, and nursing a fake injury with his predator hair. And Wally missed most the year, Spree kind of pushed his playing time away. Their center was Ervin Johnson and Kandi. They had issues with Shaq, but so did most. Ben Wallace would have had zero effect on them, they would never match him up with 2004 KG. That is why I say we were a better matchup for Detroit. KG always ate up R Wallace, and a healthy Cassell vs Billups would have been fun. Spree vs Rip is a wash too.

Oh well, they didn't win. So who gives a ****

Lakers4ItAll
03-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Lol

why even bring this up? Like wolves fans don't suffer enough??

IversonIsKrazy
03-25-2009, 06:56 PM
i think they were championship-calibure, and would be able to beat the Pistons and Pacers. But not lakers or spurs. Man, back then Sprewell & Cassel were pretty good and underrated supporting cast. Cassell + Sprewell were better than Parker + Ginobili back in '04. But Duncan was just so GREAT!

Sam Cassell: 19.8ppg, 7.3apg
Latrell Sprewell: 16.8ppg

Tony Parker: 14.7ppg, 5.5apg
Manu Ginobili: 12.8ppg

Hawkeye15
03-25-2009, 07:01 PM
i think they were championship-calibure, and would be able to beat the Pistons and Pacers. But not lakers or spurs. Man, back then Sprewell & Cassel were pretty good and underrated supporting cast. Cassell + Sprewell were better than Parker + Ginobili back in '04. But Duncan was just so GREAT!

Sam Cassell: 19.8ppg, 7.3apg
Latrell Sprewell: 16.8ppg

Tony Parker: 14.7ppg, 5.5apg
Manu Ginobili: 12.8ppg

KG was better that year. So by you're logic, the Wolves were better. KG led the entire NBA in total points and rebounds, 24/14/5 with 2+ blocks.