PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News: Uconn involved in recruiting violations

Wrigleyboy25
03-25-2009, 10:21 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4014188

Uh oh.

cubfan23
03-25-2009, 10:34 AM
they'll probably get a slap on the wrist like most of the other schools who have gotten into "trouble" before.

Padres Son
03-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Every big-time school violates recruiting rules. It's just UConn's turn to get caught. All they did was make too many phone calls.

Wrigleyboy25
03-25-2009, 11:17 AM
Every big-time school violates recruiting rules. It's just UConn's turn to get caught. All they did was make too many phone calls.
Isn't that what Sampson did?

Padres Son
03-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Isn't that what Sampson did?Yeah, but Sampson's violations were bad because he ditched Oklahoma when the hammer was about to come down. Then Oklahoma gets hit with sanctions and meanwhile he's doing the exact same thing at Indiana. He was just stupid and way too blatant about it.

Plus, he made the calls and texts himself rather than having assistants do it.

Wake's Fastball
03-25-2009, 12:21 PM
All for Nate Miles

JakeDelbreezy
03-25-2009, 12:51 PM
This certainly hasn't been a good past month or so for Calhoun. First the outburst with the reporter over his salary, now this incident. I'll be interested to see how this gets spun. I think the Kelvin Sampson precedent will weigh heavily on this. Maybe what Calhoun did wasn't as bad and/or blatant, but the NCAA will look weak if they don't do something about this.

Padres Son
03-25-2009, 01:29 PM
This certainly hasn't been a good past month or so for Calhoun. First the outburst with the reporter over his salary, now this incident. I'll be interested to see how this gets spun. I think the Kelvin Sampson precedent will weigh heavily on this. Maybe what Calhoun did wasn't as bad and/or blatant, but the NCAA will look weak if they don't do something about this.I'm sure there will be some sort of punishment, but I doubt it'll be anything too serious.

Sampson was already under sanctions from the NCAA because of violations at Oklahoma when he was caught at Indiana making hundreds of calls to recruits.

This is Calhoun's first violation and it looks like he made three calls in one month when he was only allowed one. His assistants made some calls, too. It appears that he did break some rules, but it's not like he was buying this kid hookers and a Porsche.

Hopefully this won't affect the team.

mkool65
03-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I just wonder how long it will be until Memphis is found out. There seems to be a lot more going on under the table there than anywhere else. I am not too surprised and I don't expect to much for punishments.

Devils05
03-25-2009, 01:58 PM
As if the Big East wasn't already getting enough attention :p

On a serious note, I'm curious to see what's going to happen with this especially after how a similar situation took out Indiana

Padres Son
03-25-2009, 02:03 PM
I just wonder how long it will be until Memphis is found out. There seems to be a lot more going on under the table there than anywhere else. I am not too surprised and I don't expect to much for punishments.John Calipari? Recruiting violations? Never!!

LivingThroughMe
03-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Is anyone surprised?

Sport
03-25-2009, 08:30 PM
I actually think Calhoun will step down if not after this season, than next.

sdweston757
03-26-2009, 01:09 AM
shocked? not me.

i dont mean to sound repetitive here by saying everyone does it (what patriots fans say about spygate) but the rules are so ridiculous. i head jay bilas talking about it on espn today and he hit it on the button. Agents dont have restrictions, AAU dont have restrictions, high school coaches dont have restrictions so why should college coaches? this means nothing to me.

sdweston757
03-26-2009, 01:13 AM
oh p.s. go uconn! i have u in the finals and i hope this doesnt distract you

Padres Son
03-26-2009, 06:12 PM
I just heard Dan Wetzel on the radio. I was expecting to hate him because he decided to expose my team the day before their Sweet 16 game, but I actually found it really interesting what he had to say.

He's been doing research on the NCAA recruiting process because he's doing a story on how the NBA age limit has affected recruiting. He basically sounded completely jaded and said that the info he's found has made him realize that the entire NCAA "amateur" athlete system is a complete and total farce.

Here's what he had to say:

Every player you see in the games tonight has been illegally compensated and recruited. It's impossible for a program to get a decent recruit without ignoring the rules. There is no incentive for teams to follow the NCAA recruiting rules because their is essentially no punishment for breaking them. The NCAA doesn't even bother checking phone records or looking into recruiting practices unless someone presents compelling evidence to them that rules have been broken. It's not in the NCAA's best interest to enforce the rules because they want the best players going to the big-time programs -- that's how they make the most money.

He said they broke the story on UConn because they were easily able to prove that they broke the rules by obtaining phone records. But any reporter with decent investigative skills can probably discover recruiting violations at any major university.

There was a lot he refused to discuss and I'd bet that it'll all come out at some point. I've got a feeling that something big might be in the works for college basketball over the next few years. The way he was talking made it sound like the world of college basketball recruiting is FAR, FAR dirtier than anyone imagined. And that it all might start to be exposed in the coming months and years.

This UConn scandal might just be the tip of the iceberg. This could be like when those reporters discovered andro in Mark McGuire's locker and had no idea how much more was to come.