PDA

View Full Version : What team next year could Iverson put over the top as a starter?

JordansBulls
03-24-2009, 11:47 PM
What team next year could Iverson put over the top as a starter?

ARMIN12NBA
03-25-2009, 12:00 AM
None. He is a detriment to teams. Not a help and especially not a guy that would put any team over the top.

nickster16301
03-25-2009, 12:01 AM
the flint tropics....he can play for jackie moon

Lakers4ItAll
03-25-2009, 12:06 AM
IF Iverson actually came off the bench and was ok with it he would be a great addition to any team.

The Blue Baller
03-25-2009, 12:07 AM
Houston?

SeoulBeatz
03-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Sixers

~Troy
03-25-2009, 12:09 AM
He won't put a team over the top, but I can see the NYK going after him, that fast paced tempo will be great for him.

still1ballin
03-25-2009, 12:15 AM
Iverson > Kobe, he actually dropped 50 in the playoffs more than once.

You have no knowledge of basketball. You my friend is a FAIL

Young2Kinsler
03-25-2009, 12:24 AM
Iverson could take some pressure off Dirk to always be the number one, and give us the consistant scorer we need. That being said, we probably won't do **** in the offseason once again b/c the front office thinks making the 8 seed and gettin *** pounded is successful.

nyy27
03-25-2009, 12:25 AM
Iverson > Kobe, he actually dropped 50 in the playoffs more than once.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ok, seriously now, quit your Kobe hating.

SteveNash
03-25-2009, 02:24 AM
None.

Most good teams aren't going to have cap space and if they do they're not going to waste it on an aging AI.

If he wants to win a ring he's going to have to come off the bench, not start.

Hotone1401
03-25-2009, 02:27 AM
Iverson could put any team and every team OVER the hill. The guy's age is starting to show and who would want a guy on their team who only plays offense? Sorry AI lovers but your boy is way OVERrated.

sp1derm00
03-25-2009, 02:32 AM
Miami is a possibility if he were willing to use his PG abilities more and his scoring abilities less. Great ball handler and when he wants to be, a pretty good passer.

Hotone1401
03-25-2009, 03:08 AM
Miami is a possibility if he were willing to use his PG abilities more and his scoring abilities less. Great ball handler and when he wants to be, a pretty good passer.

No way that works. Miami plays defense despite their lack of size and AI would not fit into that group. He would be liability on defense and there is no way he plays well along side D-Wade. AI needs the ball way too much to be effective. He is a cancer to any team that has any type of system in place.

GoatMilk
03-25-2009, 03:17 AM
Bakersfield Jam?

he wont put any NBA team over the top. the dude will not win ever

JLynn943
03-25-2009, 03:40 AM
I don't think there are any championship-caliber teams that are only missing a guard to put them over the top. However, I do think he could make any team a whole lot better by coming off the bench. Many good teams need a scorer to come off the bench. He's not a cancer, he just needs to be used the right way.

Obviously he's going to be taking a pay cut next year, but at this point in his career, he seems to be willing to do whatever it takes to win a championship. Whoever signs him is going to get a player devoted to doing whatever it takes to win.

hotdogbun
03-25-2009, 03:42 AM
any offensive minded team and any team where he would be the main scorer.

i think he really fits the warriors. maybe a sign and trade for jamal crawford+

biedrins-PF-jackson-ellis-ai

ai will average around 25 ppg w/ the warriors and make the warriors a playoff team

hotdogbun
03-25-2009, 03:45 AM
Bakersfield Jam?

he wont put any NBA team over the top. the dude will not win ever

more than 60% of the nba players wont win a championship too

Becks2307
03-25-2009, 03:58 AM
With the unbelievable progression of the Charlotte Bobcats in the past couple months under Larry Brown, i can definitely see Iverson helping the Bobcats tremendously. They have enough defensive players to compensate for Iverson's defensive deficiencies and he could be the go-to scorer they need in the clutch. Not to mention his reuniting with Larry Brown.

I could see them as a 5/6 seed next year.

MickeyMgl
03-25-2009, 04:43 AM
What team next year could Iverson put over the top as a starter?

"Over the top"? As in "the lottery"?

hotdogbun
03-25-2009, 05:03 AM
stop hatin. ai is better than most of the guys including paul pierce. YES paul pierce. kg+ai = championship. and ai have made the playoffs and finals w/o a legit teamate unlike pierce

JayW_1023
03-25-2009, 05:08 AM
None. Iverson should strictly be used as 6th man for the remainder of his career.

HiphopRelated
03-25-2009, 07:56 AM
none

ink
03-25-2009, 10:24 AM
None. Iverson should strictly be used as 6th man for the remainder of his career.

I agree. He could contribute some scoring but should be kept away from the starting unit.

DrDEADalready
03-25-2009, 10:26 AM
I'd like to see him back in a sixers jersey and retire with them.

nashty13
03-25-2009, 10:32 AM
none...he can't play the point guard and his is too terrible of a defender to play the 2

JordansBulls
03-25-2009, 10:34 AM
With the unbelievable progression of the Charlotte Bobcats in the past couple months under Larry Brown, i can definitely see Iverson helping the Bobcats tremendously. They have enough defensive players to compensate for Iverson's defensive deficiencies and he could be the go-to scorer they need in the clutch. Not to mention his reuniting with Larry Brown.

I could see them as a 5/6 seed next year.

Actually you are correct. If the Bobcats can get Iverson they will be in great shape.

A lineup of:

PG Iverson
SG Bell
SF Wallace
PF Diaw
C Okafor

Would be great for them.

prash
03-25-2009, 10:36 AM
He's undersized as a 2 guard, but Toronto could use him. I dunno if Toronto would turn into a serious playoff contender with him, but we could definitely use his scoring.

The Ooh Child
03-25-2009, 10:56 AM
He could start for the Hawks. I also wouldn't mind seeing him play next to Kobe.

JayW_1023
03-25-2009, 11:06 AM
Actually you are correct. If the Bobcats can get Iverson they will be in great shape.

A lineup of:

PG Iverson
SG Bell
SF Wallace
PF Diaw
C Okafor

Would be great for them.

I don't think Brown will allow Iverson to play point...Brown has always preferred pass-first guys at the point.

Heck even Felton plays the 2 most of the time under Brown. I don't think a 35 year old Iverson will fit in while they have a younger player suited as combo guard.

Lo Porto
03-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Iverson needs to go to a team with a bigger PG who can guard SG's. OR, Iverson could help a team that is just trying to outscore the other team. Here are teams that could use Iverson, but I doubt most will even entertain the idea:

Utah - Deron can guard the 2 and Brewer could move to starting SF (Iverson to Utah would never happen though)

G.S. - Monta at PG, Maggette at SF and Iverson at SG - try and guard that team

N.Y. - If N.Y. could sign Iverson for cheap so not to affect the 2010 cap, he could work in that system. Won't happen though because an elite FA in 2010 won't want to go to an Iverson team.

Clippers - What does L.A. have to lose? If they could get Iverson to the full midlevel on a 3-4 year deal, the would put people in the stands.

THE MTL
03-25-2009, 11:31 AM
I say Houston or New York.

Golden State would work if there werent so MANY ball hogs on the team already. Seriously, between Jackson, Magette, Crawford, Ellis, you need multiple basketballs. And Iverson would make it worst!

Houston CAN REALLY use AI. I think he is enough of a point guard for Houston. He has go-to-scoring ability. A defender in Artest and a big man in Yao Ming! Tracy McGrady would def. be GONE!

AI would put New York into the playoffs. Alot of the games we lost is because we dont have a go-to-guy. We dont have a scorer and AI can still average clsoe to 25ppg (its just that the Detriot system doesnt allow for that). Now, iono this late into AI's career he wants to repeat Philly again where he carries a team however.

Lo Porto
03-25-2009, 11:34 AM
He would be perfect for NY, but I don't think that he would get more than a one year deal since NY has been unable to trade Jeffries and Curry. If Iverson gets even just the full midlevel, NY would only be able to sign one premiere free agent in 2010. Why would LeBron want to come to NY to join Iverson, Curry, Jeffries and Danilo? He'd be better suited staying with Mo Williams. Now if NY can team him with Wade, Bosh, Dirk or someone similar, that might entice him.

Houston could be a fit, but he's not a PG. He just doesn't lead like that any more. He'd be perfect if he could run the offense, but that's just not his style.

Actually, Sacramento might be a good fit. Pair him with Kevin Martin interchanging, and they'd be exciting.

GodsSon
03-25-2009, 12:15 PM
i'll say the Spurs could properly implement him into their system...of course he would be a bench player there, but i think he would adapt knowing they are threats to win the title each year.

charlsdq7
03-25-2009, 12:25 PM
Philly fo sure

pd7631
03-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Iverson could put any team and every team OVER the hill. The guy's age is starting to show and who would want a guy on their team who only plays offense? Sorry AI lovers but your boy is way OVERrated.

That's real easy for you to say considering the guy is 33.

If AI came back to Philly we would leapfrog Atlanta to be at least the 4th seed. But with the amount of talent we would have on our team and a healthy Elton Brand and another year under Thaddeus Young, Lou Williams, and Mareese Speights we could be a contender. Then if we were able to draft an outside shooter and, if we could re-sign Andre Miller then AI would be the icing on the cake.

Replace 2nd round pick Willie Green in the starting lineup with Allen Iverson:clap:

PG-Andre Miller
SG-Allen Iverson
SF-Andre Iguodala
PF-Elton Brand
C-Samuel Dalembert
--------------------
BN-Thaddeus Young
BN-Lou Williams
BN-Mareese Speights
BN-Stephen Curry? or another guard(ideally it would be Curry)
BN-Reggie Evans
BN-Jason Smith
BN-Willie Green
BN-Royal Ivey

As you can see, our current starting 2 guard would become the 7th guy off the bench.....

But we all know that nothing productive will come out of this thread. It'll just be another AI thread that ends up being 50 pages of hating on the guy because he's had the first bad year of his career.

Anybody who says that the guy makes all his teams worse is just ignorant and can't look beyond this season as an indicator to how GREAT the guy has been throughout his career.

sguglie2
03-25-2009, 12:46 PM
I like the idea of Iverson running the floor in the SSOL offense. Granted I haven't been watching him really with Detroit so I don't know if hes the same spark plug he's always been

scarletknight12
03-25-2009, 12:49 PM
76ers :)

LTS
03-25-2009, 12:53 PM
I'd like to see him back in a sixers jersey and retire with them.

I Agree

what54!?
03-25-2009, 12:57 PM
He should go back to the sixers. He could make them better. I don't think he can put a team over the hump anymore by himself

jgonboricua
03-25-2009, 12:59 PM
I think he could prolly help dallas the most....he could put up monstor numbers in new york...maybe he would sign a 1 yr. deal with them? orlando could use his shooting if he played like a team player
Jameer
AI
Turkoglu
Rashard
Dwight

what54!?
03-25-2009, 01:01 PM
I think he could prolly help dallas the most....he could put up monstor numbers in new york...maybe he would sign a 1 yr. deal with them? orlando could use his shooting if he played like a team player
Jameer
AI
Turkoglu
Rashard
Dwightknowing mark cuban he would probably get him too

tkshy
03-25-2009, 01:01 PM
Think about it:

Toronto Raptors.

Here is why:

They have no one who demands the ball.
They have no one to take over in the 4th.
They have no one you can drive.
AI does all those things.
Yes he getting old, and only has a year or two, but he would be happy to go somewhere and be the man.
Plus his supporting cast is better then what he had in Philly when he took then to the Finals.

PG- Jose is a pass first point
SG- AI likes that
SF- Marion is there for D and fast breaks
PF- Plays soft and loves the 15 foot jumper and is better as the #2 guy
C-Bargs has range and his shooting will open up the lane for AI

Wilson
03-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I think he can still be a great offensive player...he needs to be somewhere where he can just attack though. He didn't work in Detroit or Denver because both of those teams didn't need him to do that. I don't know if there are any contenders who desperately need an offensive threat in the backcourt, but if there was one, he'd be a perfect short term solution, in my opinion.

BooCain
03-25-2009, 02:42 PM
Dallas, Charlotte,Kings, or the Raptors.

thebigtime313
03-25-2009, 02:45 PM
iverson starting anywhere would be hard to imagine. no team mentioned would be a good fit. just go back to denver and come off the bench and have j.r. smith start finally. take the pay cut iverson!!

D-Leethal
03-25-2009, 02:46 PM
I think Houston might be a good fit.......AI, Yao, Artest could be solid or could be a disaster

Wilson
03-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Iverson needs to go to a team with a bigger PG who can guard SG's. OR, Iverson could help a team that is just trying to outscore the other team. Here are teams that could use Iverson, but I doubt most will even entertain the idea:

Utah - Deron can guard the 2 and Brewer could move to starting SF (Iverson to Utah would never happen though)

G.S. - Monta at PG, Maggette at SF and Iverson at SG - try and guard that team

N.Y. - If N.Y. could sign Iverson for cheap so not to affect the 2010 cap, he could work in that system. Won't happen though because an elite FA in 2010 won't want to go to an Iverson team.

Clippers - What does L.A. have to lose? If they could get Iverson to the full midlevel on a 3-4 year deal, the would put people in the stands.

I don't know how well him and Deron would work offensively...Iverson isn't a great spot up shooter, so he isn't really a good mix in the backcourt with Deron in my opinion...

SeoulBeatz
03-25-2009, 03:02 PM
none...he can't play the point guard and his is too terrible of a defender to play the 2

quick question: if iversons defense is "terrible"

what does that makes Nash's?

superkegger
03-25-2009, 03:12 PM
He can't put any team over the top, he could be a good addition to Dallas or Charlotte though.

KeithLBC
03-25-2009, 03:40 PM
I think he would fit best with the Sixers, coming off the bench.

JordansBulls
03-25-2009, 03:53 PM
I don't think Brown will allow Iverson to play point...Brown has always preferred pass-first guys at the point.

Heck even Felton plays the 2 most of the time under Brown. I don't think a 35 year old Iverson will fit in while they have a younger player suited as combo guard.

Well they may take a chance on him for a 2 year deal to put the Cats on the map.

VCaintdead17
03-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Hmm, he might be a good fit on the Mavs if he is willing to take the MLE and if they resign Kidd.

A backcourt of Kidd and A.I would be tremendous. Not to mention the starting five of:

Kidd
AI
Howard
Dirk
Dampier

It would also take some pressure off of Howard

JayW_1023
03-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Well they may take a chance on him for a 2 year deal to put the Cats on the map.

They should take a chance on Bosh or Amare the coming offseasons. They already have enough good role players.

Iverson won't add much to an already rising NBA team. They are set at the guard position with Felton, Augustin and Raja Bell.

BigDaddyKaine
03-25-2009, 04:34 PM
None. He is a detriment to teams. Not a help and especially not a guy that would put any team over the top.

couldn't have said it any better myself:clap:

superkegger
03-25-2009, 05:04 PM
They should take a chance on Bosh or Amare the coming offseasons. They already have enough good role players.

Iverson won't add much to an already rising NBA team. They are set at the guard position with Felton, Augustin and Raja Bell.

I don't know that the Cats have any kind of cap space in the near future...and if it gets them into the playoffs, I think it would be worth it...

jrilla1210
03-25-2009, 06:06 PM
The Harlem Globetrotters

DeeJay
03-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Think about it:

Toronto Raptors.

Here is why:

They have no one who demands the ball.
They have no one to take over in the 4th.
They have no one you can drive.
AI does all those things.
Yes he getting old, and only has a year or two, but he would be happy to go somewhere and be the man.
Plus his supporting cast is better then what he had in Philly when he took then to the Finals.

PG- Jose is a pass first point
SG- AI likes that
SF- Marion is there for D and fast breaks
PF- Plays soft and loves the 15 foot jumper and is better as the #2 guy
C-Bargs has range and his shooting will open up the lane for AI

Who is going to play D on that team?
And don't say Marion, him with his overrated D wont be enough.

IversonIsKrazy
03-25-2009, 06:42 PM
^^^
agreed, not 2 mention he aint gunna wanna come 2 TO

IversonIsKrazy
03-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Rockets or Mavs would be good additions from the West.

Bobcats or Sixers would be good additions from the East.

Rockets: It would only be a good addition if T-Mac leaves. All rockets need rite now is t-mac to go, and the GO-2-GUY.

Mavs: Need anything to get that spark back. And if they re-sign Kidd as well somehow, really deadly.

Bobcats: There missing that superstar 2 lead the team. And we all remember the year 2001, AI + Brown were just amazing.

Sixers: I would wanna c him retire here, but i also wanna c him win. Plus there going thru a fast-break game, so AI would flourish, and they can still be deadly with AI+Brand.

baller1532
03-25-2009, 10:27 PM
if chauncey could teach him discipline stuff, the nuggs. too bad cheap FO probably won't even think of it

IversonIsKrazy
03-26-2009, 12:14 AM
if this was last year, ppl would be listing sooo many teams rite now. Iverson's first bad season, and he sure gets a whole lot of h8.

stevec6
03-26-2009, 12:21 AM
You have no knowledge of basketball. You my friend is a FAIL

are not is.. even though i disagree with what your saying

BkOriginalOne
03-26-2009, 12:25 AM
I actually don't think Iverson would do bad on a teams like:
The hornets and Jazz would need offensive upgrades at the 2.
The hawks if he played point (assuming he could run the offensive decently and Bibby didn't resign.
I can't seem him doing too bad playing alongside Jkidd in Dallas.

Houston is not a bad option with the level of defense they have.

~ALpHa M LyTe~
03-26-2009, 12:28 AM
If hes Willing to Come Off the bench there are plenty of teams who could use his ability to score and energy off the bench. But at this point hes just not the same player he once was and even in his prime he was never a great on the ball defender. Im a Sixers Fan Though and Grew up Idolizing him so im all for him coming back to Philly and ending where he should have always Been.

Hotone1401
03-26-2009, 12:44 AM
stop hatin. ai is better than most of the guys including paul pierce. YES paul pierce. kg+ai = championship. and ai have made the playoffs and finals w/o a legit teamate unlike pierce

No way!!! AI is not better than Paul Pierce at this stage in his career. I don't even like PP and I can see that. Pierce is actually kinda clutch and can play some form of defense. AI can't even stay in front of his man. If he played alongside KG, KG would probably go crazy on his *** for always needing help on defense lol.

Hotone1401
03-26-2009, 12:48 AM
if this was last year, ppl would be listing sooo many teams rite now. Iverson's first bad season, and he sure gets a whole lot of h8.

Last year, I actually thought he could have really helped the Pistons but we all saw how that turned out. I also thought Billups or J-Kidd could have done wonders for a team like Denver. I have really never respected AI's game even before he started to decline because the guy doesn't play both ends. Is that hating for saying that???

Duncan = Donkey
03-26-2009, 04:01 AM
quick question: if iversons defense is "terrible"

what does that makes Nash's?

that has nothing do with the question. but ill answer anyway.

everyone knows nash's d is horrible but so is iversons. but i guarentee you every team in the league would rather have nash than iverson on there team.

The Ooh Child
03-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Bibby
AI
Joe Johnson
J Smoove
Horford

Can you say championship? I know I can't, but Iverson probably would make them better.

RodmansBulls
03-26-2009, 12:02 PM
AI, Jason Kidd and Dirk would be good.

JJ81
03-26-2009, 05:24 PM
None

MickeyMgl
04-01-2009, 05:56 PM

???

A 7-time All-Star, 4-time Defensive Player of the Year (including '01) center isn't a "legit teammate"? WTF???

In addition to Mutombo...

McKie (6th Man of the Year in '01)
Kukoc (6th Man of the Year)
Ratliff (All-Star in '01)
Hill (All-Star)

... and the Coach of the Year.

Dayum! What's your definition of a "legit teammate"?

RealistRocket34
04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
He should go to the Clippers and finish up the all-thug team

PG: Baron Davis
SG: Allen Iverson
SF: Al Thornton
PF: Zach Randolph
C: Marcus Camby

pd7631
04-01-2009, 06:03 PM
He should go to the Clippers and finish up the all-thug team

PG: Baron Davis
SG: Allen Iverson
SF: Al Thornton
PF: Zach Randolph
C: Marcus Camby

Ok...now it's clear why you don't like AI. You just base all your hate on the guy because of his outside appearance and nothing to do with the way he's played or the things he said.

Way to not judge a book by it's cover....

JayW_1023
04-01-2009, 06:05 PM
It's sad that an MVP and veteran like Iverson still has yet to have a clue of how to play winning team basketball.

I still like the toughness he has displayed over the years...but he never stood open to adjusting his mentality towards the game.

IversonIsKrazy
04-01-2009, 07:11 PM
^^^^^^
He's tried to adjust this year. He's playing off the bench for the first time in his career, hes bin playing less than 20mpg since hes bin coming off the bench, and no disagreement has happened. I honestly would like 2 c him in the Mavs or Rockets organization.

Rockets w/o T-Mac are amazing defensively, and already a championship-contender, but need a closure, maybe the Answer can be the perfect fit, but only if T-mac is gone w/ season-ending injury or traded.

Mavs w/ Kidd would be amazing. AI with a pg who can guard sg's, and r one of the great pgs. With a shooting PF who can dominate, the lane would be open 4 AI. This would be really dangerous.
PG: J-Kidd/Barea
SG: AI/Jet
SF: Jo-ho/Stackhouse
PF: Dirk/Singleton
C: Dampier/?

JayW_1023
04-01-2009, 07:20 PM
IversonisKrazy.

His game is well suited off the bench...but only if he accepts that role. If he doesn't accept it...his motivation could take a hit.

In my opinion, in this stage of his career, Iverson is perfect as that sixth man who is the go to guy in te second unit.

Good points about AI playing with a bigger PG who can guard both guard alots...kinda like Eric Snow in Philly.

IBleedPurple
04-01-2009, 07:32 PM
^Agreed. He won't be happy coming off the bench though. He just complained about playing 18 minutes against Cleveland. "18 minutes. I can play 18 minutes with my eyes closed"

If he were to go to...let's say Cleveland next year. He could be a great role player much like Horry and Finley learned to do. They were more of the shooting type, but AI can still play, at least offense. But we are talking about Iverson.

MickeyMgl
04-02-2009, 06:02 PM
It's sad that an MVP and veteran like Iverson still has yet to have a clue of how to play winning team basketball.

Flip it around. It's sad that somebody who has no clue of how to play winning team basketball ever won an MVP.

JordansBulls
04-03-2009, 12:06 AM

I still like the toughness he has displayed over the years...but he never stood open to adjusting his mentality towards the game.

I still don't get why that hasn't been the case either.