PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Owner Lays Into Al Thornton

JJ81
03-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Four years of college couldn't prepare Clippers forward Al Thornton for this. Exhausted and humiliated after a 28-point home loss to the perennially powerful San Antonio Spurs, on a night when the Clippers used their 26th different starting lineup of the season, Thornton was chewed out in the locker room.

Not by a teammate.

Not by a coach.

But by the owner of his team, Donald Sterling.

Sterling reportedly called Thornton the most selfish player he has ever seen. He lit into the whole team, threatening to trade every player on the roster.

You can't blame the guy for being selfish when his talents are being wasted on the Clippers. He's probably the most positive thing associated with that team.

"Where I want to see myself, I want to be one of the all-time best players in this league when it's all said and done," Thornton said. "Point blank."

I love his desire to be the best and he's open about it. I hope he gets traded to a contender.

More at the Link: http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/dave_mcmenamin/03/23/thornton.kaplan.20090323/index.html

what54!?
03-24-2009, 01:16 PM
The clippers :pity:

Thornton and Gordon are the only good thing for them. Wouldn't be suprised they both leave, I would

superkegger
03-24-2009, 01:17 PM
Donald Sterling is a tool. He picks now to chew out his team? Why not take it out on a horrible coach/gm mike dunleavy, or on yourself for being a ****** owner. Get this guy outta the NBA.

Wilson
03-24-2009, 01:19 PM
Donald Sterling is a tool. He picks now to chew out his team? Why not take it out on a horrible coach/gm mike dunleavy, or on yourself for being a ****** owner. Get this guy outta the NBA.

Exactly, Sterling doesn't have a clue what he's doing...

DerekRE_3
03-24-2009, 01:24 PM
He should lay into Baron Davis as well, he's shooting a cool 37% from the field this year.

cwilson21
03-24-2009, 01:28 PM
To show he's not selfish, how about sitting out Thornton? I mean he would never touch the ball and the worries of his 'selfishness' would be a thing of the past.

oldenpolynice
03-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Al Thornton's the most selfish?!!! Has Sterling seen Rudy Gay?

NaccAttack11
03-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Corey Maggette anyone?

bartlett2266
03-24-2009, 01:39 PM
I would call his bluff and say fine trade me

Steely McBeam
03-24-2009, 01:39 PM
if gordon's available the raptors are interested

Wilson
03-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I have heard before now that Thornton is a bit of a chucker. But at such a young age, the way to stop that is to coach it out of him. Obviously for an owner, the first step in doing that is to hire a coach.

There's some free advice for you Donald Sterling ;)

JIDsanity
03-24-2009, 01:52 PM
It's probably true, he watches Al every day, how many Clipper games have you watched? Poor Al it must be so hard for him to take all of those losses, and it's all because of... Him

futureman
03-24-2009, 01:55 PM
Trade sterling. He is the most terrible owner I haver ever seen. Nobody will trade with the clippers unless it involves gordon or thorton. Nobody will want Baron or Zach's horrible contracts unless it involves one of those 2 players.

Ni55anpat
03-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Wow - Maybe the owner should rape himself.

Maybe he should fire the worst coach in the league............plain and simple

Until then, Clippers r terrible.

THE_FLASH_21
03-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Sucks for Al.... The Sorry *** Clippers don't deserve him or Eric G...

abe_froman
03-24-2009, 02:28 PM

because he's committed to losing,i'm convinced of it

Chronz
03-24-2009, 02:41 PM
Everytime someone mentions Thornton I always wait for those to say hes young and that hes a great player. None of which are true, hes the dumbest offensively gifted player in the league. People say hes talented but hes not, hes just athletic with a decent skill set, I consider having a brain to be part of the entire equation, hes not talented, hes NOT YOUNG and hes most definitely selfish. I dont think hes doing it on purpose, he just really has no clue how to create for others or take advantage of mismatches on the floor. As a Clippers fan Im glad they ripped into him, at this point Id trade him away for some chips. Cant believe some of you guys thought he was better than Ariza.

1goldenrican1
03-24-2009, 02:44 PM
I always feel so sorry for the draft picks that always go to the clippers. If AL or Gordon was on a different team they would be so much better. Hell, even Jordan! He had a few good games when zach and kaman were out. If i was a GM I would higher Ewing then get Jordan.

Chronz
03-24-2009, 02:45 PM
because he's committed to losing,i'm convinced of it
Yes he signed Baron Davis to 5 years because he wanted to lose, gave up all his 2010 expirings for a guy who would be on the team for much longer financially in order to lose. Sterling has changed his way since 2000 hes just hired the wrong people to run the team.

abe_froman
03-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Yes he signed Baron Davis to 5 years because he wanted to lose, gave up all his 2010 expirings for a guy who would be on the team for much longer financially in order to lose. Sterling has changed his way since 2000 hes just hired the wrong people to run the team.

youy just made my argument for me,when you were trying to defend him

Wilson
03-24-2009, 02:54 PM
Everytime someone mentions Thornton I always wait for those to say hes young and that hes a great player. None of which are true, hes the dumbest offensively gifted player in the league. People say hes talented but hes not, hes just athletic with a decent skill set, I consider having a brain to be part of the entire equation, hes not talented, hes NOT YOUNG and hes most definitely selfish. I dont think hes doing it on purpose, he just really has no clue how to create for others or take advantage of mismatches on the floor. As a Clippers fan Im glad they ripped into him, at this point Id trade him away for some chips. Cant believe some of you guys thought he was better than Ariza.

I don't watch the Clippers as often as you do, but don't you think that a better coach would be able to help Al Thornton's decision making?

dee279
03-24-2009, 02:59 PM

Thorton is better than Ariza! Shidd thornton was better his rookie year then Ariza is now. He has talent, alot of talent. and what hes 24 or 25? So yes he is young. He only been in the league 2 years. He could be a 20 point player with the right coaching.

JakeDelbreezy
03-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Sterling calling someone selfish? This is the same guy that ran off every remotely decent player the Clips ever had and refused to sign any decent players for years and years (not withstanding the bust signing of Baron Davis). The guy is easily one of the worst owners in all of sports history.

Chronz
03-24-2009, 04:11 PM
youy just made my argument for me,when you were trying to defend him
Nice attempt at being clever, luckily I knew you would counter with such an argument, I was just hoping you would be better than that, if he really wanted to lose on purpose why would he waste millions when he could be doing what hes always done in the past, which is keep the salary down and make money in the process of losing. There is no point in all this spending if he was trying to lose.

So no your argument is still very much invalid.

Chronz
03-24-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't watch the Clippers as often as you do, but don't you think that a better coach would be able to help Al Thornton's decision making?
Dunleavy is a control freak, but the one guy who should benefit from all his direction should be Thornton. Its one thing to not know how to create for others but not knowing how to create for yourself when you have the ability is completely moronic.

Let me explain, Thornton will have games where hes in transition has a smaller defender on him and wait for Baron to take over the offense, when he should be punishing the midget in the post forcing a double team then kicking it out, everyone on the team sees the mismatch, everyone wants him to be aggressive but he just doesnt get it.

Likewise he'll have a guy like Ariza on him, he'll use his insanely quick step and drain a mid range j right in his eye, the very next possession with Walton on him he'll jab fake get Walton out of position only to step back and shoot a contested jumper that Walton can now contest.

His moves are predetermined, he has very little creativity and shys away from contact. He does this on a regular basis, guys he should be beating off the dribble he'll try to shoot over, guys he should shoot over he acts like they are Scottie Pippen and play passively, hes just an incredibly dumb offensive player with a high skill set. Such a waste of talent. But yes he could do better in an environment where he doesnt have to think, just run and jump.

abe_froman
03-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Nice attempt at being clever, luckily I knew you would counter with such an argument, I was just hoping you would be better than that, if he really wanted to lose on purpose why would he waste millions when he could be doing what hes always done in the past, which is keep the salary down and make money in the process of losing. There is no point in all this spending if he was trying to lose.

So no your argument is still very much invalid.
you still have to put a product on the floor to make money off of,it doesnt mean your trying to win...just watchable/tolerable enough to keep you going/watching

Chronz
03-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Thorton is better than Ariza! Shidd thornton was better his rookie year then Ariza is now. He has talent, alot of talent. and what hes 24 or 25? So yes he is young. He only been in the league 2 years. He could be a 20 point player with the right coaching.
Thornton isnt better than Ariza, his potential is but his actual on court contributions are lacking. People always use the hes young excuse, he had the experience and the athletic advantage in college and still couldnt dominate, usually guys who stay in college as long as he did tend to really outplay the kids they play with because they are so much more mature, forgive me if I dont believe he will all of sudden learn the game of basketball. Talent includes the brain, so no he doesnt have alot of talent, hes just athletic. There is a difference.

If the kid needs the right coaching at this stage in his career hes already too far behind to ever be a great player. He can be a decent player and I dont know what your trying to say by saying he can be a 20pt scorer, the context of those numbers can vary depending on minutes, pace and efficiency so your basically not saying anything.

Chronz
03-24-2009, 04:25 PM
you still have to put a product on the floor to make money off of,it doesnt mean your trying to win...just watchable/tolerable enough to keep you going/watching

You obviously have no idea of how Sterling used to operate, who says he needs to put a decent product on the floor? In fact he made more money when the salary was down and the team sucked. So again how is it to his advantage to pay for these guys when he could be making more money by paying for lesser players? It isnt, the man is clearly trying to win, hes just doing a piss poor job of it.

Again your point is invalid, just man up to your mistake, you tried to be clever and it didnt work, its not a big deal but you gotta understand to Clipper fans your coming off as insulting and ignorant.

shizzle09
03-24-2009, 04:33 PM
It's probably true, he watches Al every day, how many Clipper games have you watched? Poor Al it must be so hard for him to take all of those losses, and it's all because of... Him

I watch plenty of Clippers games on league pass. I dont watch much of them but Thornton is on my fantasy team so i tune in from time to time to watch. How can he say he's selfish when there games where he doesnt even shoot the ball 10 times. Sounds to me like the owner is taking it out on the team and Thornton got the brunt of it.

Wilson
03-24-2009, 04:35 PM
I watch plenty of Clippers games on league pass. I dont watch much of them but Thornton is on my fantasy team so i tune in from time to time to watch. How can he say he's selfish when there games where he doesnt even shoot the ball 10 times. Sounds to me like the owner is taking it out on the team and Thornton got the brunt of it.

:confused:

shizzle09
03-24-2009, 04:37 PM
Thornton isnt better than Ariza, his potential is but his actual on court contributions are lacking. People always use the hes young excuse, he had the experience and the athletic advantage in college and still couldnt dominate, usually guys who stay in college as long as he did tend to really outplay the kids they play with because they are so much more mature, forgive me if I dont believe he will all of sudden learn the game of basketball. Talent includes the brain, so no he doesnt have alot of talent, hes just athletic. There is a difference.

If the kid needs the right coaching at this stage in his career hes already too far behind to ever be a great player. He can be a decent player and I dont know what your trying to say by saying he can be a 20pt scorer, the context of those numbers can vary depending on minutes, pace and efficiency so your basically not saying anything.

You are silly. Thornton is WAY better than Ariza. You put Thornton on the Lakers and let him play with that team and you wouldnt be saying that.

29$JerZ
03-24-2009, 04:51 PM
Thorton is a talented player but the FO of the Clippers is really bad. Amazing because when you see the team on paper your surprised their not a top team in their conference.

Health and bad management is the culprit I assume.

Ethix11
03-24-2009, 04:56 PM
Clips have a good squad. But i hope their front office faulters as usual so they can run Al out of town so he can come to my team.

Chronz
03-24-2009, 05:02 PM
You are silly. Thornton is WAY better than Ariza. You put Thornton on the Lakers and let him play with that team and you wouldnt be saying that.
I wish I could put Ariza on the Clippers so I could say it with 100% conviction. Right now its only at 98.8%

Chronz
03-24-2009, 05:04 PM

Not shooting isnt a sign of unselfishness, its about not passing when you should pass and shooting when you shouldnt. Hes one of the worst at his position in assist ratio's/efficiency. There is a reason hes a blackhole, and we got 2 of them in him and Randolph, who by the way is also overrated.

Wilson
03-24-2009, 05:05 PM
I think Ariza is a great role player (he's been terrific for us), and if Chronz is right, then he's a much smarter player than Thornton.

The right coach may help Thornton out a lot, but again if Chronz is right, then Al may be limited to being a good player on a bad team, or a tweener on an average/good team.

I've really not seen enough Clipper games to have a full opinion on Al Thornton though...

Chronz
03-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Clips have a good squad. But i hope their front office faulters as usual so they can run Al out of town so he can come to my team.
Dorrel Wright for Thornton?

_Sn1P3r_
03-24-2009, 05:16 PM
I like Al Thornton. I wouldn't mind having him come to TO and fill in that SF for us.

THE MTL
03-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Al Thorton! Every time I hear his name, I'm yea he's a second year player who already averages GREAT STATS, but then I realize that he's played FOUR FREAKING YEARS in college. Who does that?

I was so souped over his rookie year, but then I realized that his body is already mostly developed and his ceiling isnt that high.

AND HE'S OLDER THAN LEBRON JAMES! lmao!

But seriously, I wanna see a healthy CLippers team next year. And if a team of: Davis-Gordon-Thorton-Randolph-Camby-Kaman can't make the playoffs, then the Clippers TRULY SUCK and WILL ALWAYS SUCK!

Chronz
03-24-2009, 05:23 PM
MTL I agree with most of what you said its just the Thornton ISNT averaging great stats. His stats are repulsive, one of the least efficient players in the league, its one of the reasons why our offense sucks. If hes going to be a 3rd option we'd be much better off with a guy like Ariza who can actually play efficiently. We already have ZBo playing the role of inefficient chucker combining him with Thornton is overkill. One of them needs to go

Ansy
03-24-2009, 05:44 PM
I haven't seen him play since he was in college and I don't watch the Clips, but this thread made me want to check out his stats and based on the numbers alone he looks pretty bad.

I haven't seen someone take this many shots at this low an efficiency since Antoine Walker.

hotpotato1092
03-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Here's a thought: contract the clippers and grizzlies and move the kings down south to LA. We get rid of the two worst run teams in the sport while also eliminating three small television markets, we can infuse several teams with some young talent (gordon, thornton, gay, mayo, gasol etc...), and it gives the league the option to not only give Seattle a new team but also give a new city with a new arena (KC?) a team. I think it's perfect.

Kakaroach
03-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Al is a good player on a HORRIFIC team. Yeah, he's not very efficient, but he can get the job done. He will be a good bench player in the NBA. A guy who can come in and score when your starters are sitting. But he won't be some superstar or even a all-star.

JIDsanity
03-24-2009, 07:01 PM

LOLThat doesn't make him unselfish

JIDsanity
03-24-2009, 07:03 PM
I haven't seen him play since he was in college and I don't watch the Clips, but this thread made me want to check out his stats and based on the numbers alone he looks pretty bad.

I haven't seen someone take this many shots at this low an efficiency since Antoine Walker.

Exactly

shizzle09
03-24-2009, 09:20 PM
:confused:

It means I watch plenty of the games on league pass but dont watch the whole game. I only tune in while my player is on the floor. It's what you do when you have big money fantasy leagues.

shizzle09
03-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Dorrel Wright for Thornton?

In a heartbeat! Wright is weak. He's had no progress on the Heat at all.

Wilson
03-24-2009, 09:23 PM
It means I watch plenty of the games on league pass but dont watch the whole game. I only tune in while my player is on the floor. It's what you do when you have big money fantasy leagues.

Fair enough. Good luck in the fantasy league...

ElMarroAfamado
03-24-2009, 11:52 PM
anybody will suck with the CLippers
we need to get a name change or jersey change because these unis take the life out of everyone that comes here....

im surprised eric gordon has played as well as he has this long...

Chronz
03-25-2009, 12:25 AM
In a heartbeat! Wright is weak. He's had no progress on the Heat at all.

Same here, atleast in Wrights case hes much younger, knows how to rebound and defends like a maniac when healthy.

codes238
03-25-2009, 03:08 AM
Same here, atleast in Wrights case hes much younger, knows how to rebound and defends like a maniac when healthy.

is thornton really that bad? i watched some clips game last year and he was pretty decent, he's really plummeted that much?

Chronz
03-25-2009, 04:09 AM
is thornton really that bad? i watched some clips game last year and he was pretty decent, he's really plummeted that much?

Thats the thing about measuring players by the games you watch, unless you see every one of them you dont get the full picture especially in cases with inconsistent players. Depending on what day you watch him he can look decent or just plain ********.

JayW_1023
03-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Sterlings own fault...having a guy like Ricky Davis in the lockerroom in Thorntons rookie year seems to have paid it's dividends :rolleyes:

what54!?
03-25-2009, 01:16 PM
Sterlings own fault...having a guy like Ricky Davis in the lockerroom in Thorntons rookie year seems to have paid it's dividends :rolleyes:Second year. Ricky Davis was on the heat last year :pity:

JayW_1023
03-25-2009, 04:12 PM
My bad...no screw that...it's Ricky Davis fercritterssakes...not the best model...wether you're a rook or soph.

pete_one
03-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Donald Sterling is Selfish