PDA

View Full Version : NBA Green Week April 2-10 (All teams doing "green actions")

DenButsu
03-22-2009, 09:33 PM
In the Nuggets forum I posted a pic of the Nuggets' new green jerseys (http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/b8/fullj.3954a400fbe79a657023a6b27289a976/3954a400fbe79a657023a6b27289a976-getty-82921738ge006_nuggets.jpg) that they will use for two games during NBA Green Week in early April. A poster asked what was up with that, I didn't really know, but I dug up this article, and so I thought I'd post it here, too, since some fans around the league I'm sure will also be wondering, "What's up with all this 'green' talk?"

Sports Business Journal (11/10/2008) (http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/article/60569):

NBA’s ‘progressive’ efforts start at the top

The NBA plans to hold its first Green Week in early April, highlighting what the league says is its increasing involvement in environmental initiatives.

From April 2-10, all 30 NBA teams will participate in the program, with efforts ranging from raising fan awareness to fundraising for local environmental agencies. Each team must have at least one green-themed action during the week, according to the league office.

In addition, players will wear eco-friendly shooting shirts designed by Adidas, and NBA.com will feature green coloring in its design for that week.

“This is an issue that we have been working on for some time,” said Kathy Behrens, NBA senior vice president of community and player programs, which oversees green programs for the league. “From a business matter and from a social perspective, it is something we feel very strongly about.”

Behrens said NBA Commissioner David Stern is a longtime environmentalist and so is Stern’s wife, Dianne, a board member of Earthjustice, a nonprofit environmental interest law firm.

The league works with the Natural Resources Defense Council, which in 2006 conducted an on-site audit of the NBA’s league offices in New York and New Jersey resulting in a multitude of changes. Among those steps were the use of more recyclable materials, installing light sensors in rooms and using more economically friendly paper towels in rest rooms.

“Greening is a process, but the NBA is very progressive on this issue,” said Allen Hershkowitz, NRDC senior scientist who advises the NBA along with other sports organizations that work with the group.

The NRDC this year completed an audit of the NBA Store on Fifth Avenue in New York, and team presidents were briefed on the league’s increased environmental push at their annual meeting this summer in New York.
Steve Nash announced the Suns’ plan for solar
panels at US Airways Center in September.

Green initiatives will also be part of this season’s All-Star Week in Phoenix, with a day of service program that will include tree plantings. The plans follow last season’s community service initiative in New Orleans during the 2008 All-Star Week.

Each NBA team, through the league’s work with NRDC, now has a Web site aimed at helping the clubs adopt more eco-friendly strategies. The template pages, available at greensports.org/nba, parallel what’s available for MLB and NHL clubs. Similar pages also exist for WNBA teams.

“It’s a road map for all teams to use, and all have used it,” Behrens said. “Some teams were already down the road, and a number of teams have begun the [Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)] certification process. Teams are making changes in supplies [and] procurement and using the [NRDC sites] to look at key areas.”

Some teams are more active than others.

The New Jersey Nets earlier this year were recognized by The CarbonNeutral Co. for their ongoing green efforts. The team hosted six Green Nights last season and plans to host six more during the 2008-09 season, drawing fan attention to environmental issues with in-arena signage and handouts promoting eco-friendly tips.

The Phoenix Suns are installing solar panels at US Airways Center.

In Orlando, the Magic is working toward its new home being the first LEED-certified big league arena. Among the elements planned for the facility, set to open in 2010, are a light-colored roof to decrease the building’s heat load along with increased energy-efficient systems ranging from air conditioning to lighting. The team also has a front office committee charged with developing energy-saving strategies, including a recent decision to substitute printed media guides with paper-saving flash drives.

Kakaroach
03-22-2009, 09:35 PM
Oooh sounds cool. Can't wait to see the Jazz in green uniforms. :)

DenButsu
03-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Oooh sounds cool. Can't wait to see the Jazz in green uniforms. :)

Actually, one of the Nugs' two games that they'll be wearing them is in Utah, if I'm not mistaken.

superkegger
03-22-2009, 09:37 PM
Good to know, nice find.

Kakaroach
03-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Actually, one of the Nugs' two games that they'll be wearing them is in Utah, if I'm not mistaken. Oh crap lol. Oh well maybe the Jazz will wear it another game. :D

KmB728
03-22-2009, 09:57 PM
i cant wait to see the Celtics in Gree... oh wait ;)

still1ballin
03-22-2009, 09:58 PM
I hope they can exclude Lakers from this...Lakers wearing green is a big NO NO

Young2Kinsler
03-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Dallas is going Green by giving Gerald Green back to the NBA free agent pool so TMAC 84 will leave our forum.

GoatMilk
03-22-2009, 10:01 PM
**** this
like still1ballin said, Lakers and green is a big NO NO

Kakaroach
03-22-2009, 10:05 PM
:laugh: Lol Lakers fans.

DenButsu
03-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Yeah, not all green is equal.

superkegger
03-22-2009, 10:49 PM
Yeah, not all green is equal.

Just ask Kermit the Frog.

GoatMilk
03-22-2009, 10:59 PM
:laugh: Lol Lakers fans.

haha
seriously though, can you imagine the Lakers wearing green?

DenButsu
03-22-2009, 11:00 PM
haha
seriously though, can you imagine the Lakers wearing green?

For a cause? Sure.

Wilson
03-22-2009, 11:03 PM
:speechless: You can't seriously expect the Lakers to wear green!!!

Can't they just give money to the cause instead? :p

hotdogbun
03-22-2009, 11:03 PM
wearing green just wont save the environment lol

superkegger
03-22-2009, 11:09 PM
wearing green just wont save the environment lol

No, but it's a good way to raise awareness. If the Lakers wore green uni's, people would be like why the hell did they wear green uni's, and it would then be an easy way to explain that they were being eco-conscious and trying to do their part to help the environment.

still1ballin
03-22-2009, 11:14 PM
For a cause? Sure.

pft, I don't care if its for a cause, charity, or make a wish foundation Lakers are prohibited of wearing green!!!!:mad:

DenButsu
03-23-2009, 12:24 AM
In fact, the Lakers are the one team that could probably do the most effective environmental awareness promo by wearing green, specifically because of the C's rivalry. Something along the lines of, "We think educating people about the environment is so important that we're even willing to wear green for a day just to prove it to you." Play up the rivalry as part of it.

DenButsu
04-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Nuggets wearing green right now:

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8144/nuggetsgreen.png

Wilson
04-02-2009, 11:25 PM
I kind of like how the Denver ones look. I'm still not looking forward to seeing the Lakers in green though...:p

KB24PG16
04-02-2009, 11:25 PM
we wont wear green

Kakaroach
04-02-2009, 11:27 PM
pft, I don't care if its for a cause, charity, or make a wish foundation Lakers are prohibited of wearing green!!!!:mad: :eyebrow: Really? That seems a little sad. And yea the Jazz are wearing home white right now at Denver.

DODGERS&LAKERS
04-02-2009, 11:35 PM
I hope we forfeit this weeks games and just make a huge donation to environmental awareness.

I only use my bank card cause I dont like to keep that green stuff in my wallet.

Boo on anything green! Even this smiley face :D

Pau for Geico
04-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Lmfao.Poor Sasha. He said he'll never wear green again. Haha.

BTownTeamsRKing
04-03-2009, 12:07 AM
hahaha wow the NBA is just too funny. id laugh so much if the Lakers wore green.

there are green lakers shirts out there from St patty's day.

Pau for Geico
04-03-2009, 12:38 AM
hahaha wow the NBA is just too funny. id laugh so much if the Lakers wore green.

there are green lakers shirts out there from St patty's day.

It'd be funny for one game if the C's and Lakers played each other, and the Lakers wore Green and the C's wore purple and gold.

EX-TREME
04-03-2009, 05:29 PM
It'd be funny for one game if the C's and Lakers played each other, and the Lakers wore Green and the C's wore purple and gold.

that would be something