PDA

View Full Version : Could OKC be a top 5 team in the West Next Year if........

ProdigyI
03-22-2009, 09:18 PM
They get the #1 pick and draft Griffin.

They pick up Ben Gordon in the offseason

Russel Westbrook
Ben Gordon
Kevin Durant
Jeff Green
Blake Griffin

Griffin will be an impact player next year IMO. Gordon is a very nice 20 PPG compliment to Durant. Westbrook is turning into a top PG. Jeff Green will contribute 16-17 a night.

That team would be a top 5 team in the West next season IMO.

Kakaroach
03-22-2009, 09:20 PM
They won't get the #1 pick though. Instead of going after Gordon, I heard they are most likely going after Paul Millsap or David Lee this off-season. And no, they would not be a top 5 team. Might make the playoffs if their lucky though.

jimbobjarree
03-22-2009, 09:21 PM
a stop 5 team?

..and no they dont need Gordon...if they wanna be a top 5 team next year they will have to desperately overpay for Boozer and some more

superkegger
03-22-2009, 09:21 PM
No. Griffin cannot play C in the NBA. He'd get demolished as a rookie playing C. You'd have absolutely horrid D on the wings with Durant and Gordon.

If they end up with Thabeet, and improve their bench and durant becomes a better defender, they could maybe be a playoff team next year, maybe, but I doubt it.

ProdigyI
03-22-2009, 09:22 PM
a stop 5 team?

..and no they dont need Gordon...if they wanna be a top 5 team next year they will have to desperately overpay for Boozer and some more

FML

if a mod would be nice enough to change it to top that would be great:)

VCaintdead17
03-22-2009, 09:22 PM
I really don't like the thought of Griffin starting at center, especially his rookie season.

I would go like this

Westbrook
Gordon
Durant
Griffin
Kristic

Sixth Man: Jeff Green

Now, could they be a top five team next season? It's tough to say because of how competitive the West is. But some consistent contenders year in and year out will be getting older and next year might be that transition period where they don't make the playoffs and take the first baby steps of rebuilding. (I.E. Mavs, Suns,) But, still but I would not bet money on OKC being a top five team. Although anything can happen.

Joshtd1
03-22-2009, 09:23 PM
No. They still wouldnt be better then any of the playoff teams right now IMO.

Lakers4ItAll
03-22-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm in Chicago and Gordon is all offense NO D which makes him a liability. I wouldn't want him on my team.

JJ81
03-22-2009, 09:31 PM
NBA 2K9 thinks so.

ProdigyI
03-22-2009, 10:35 PM
With many teams getting older....Spurs, Mavs, Phx...New Orleans probably not having Chandler next year...if OKC gets Gordon and Griffin they are for sure top 5 IMO.

They will also have a pretty decent bench....Nenad who is very underrated, Collison, Sefalosha who is a gem on defense...

Fans in Asia
03-22-2009, 10:35 PM
Top 5? Not yet. The West is too competitive.

ttam68
03-22-2009, 10:53 PM
Could a 6'8" rookie power forward playing at center and a shoot first 6'3" no defense guard for one of the worst teams in the league this year make them top 5 in a year?

Hell no. They'd be like Portland from last year, promising but nothing. Probably a 9-10 seed.

Wilson
03-22-2009, 10:54 PM
I was really interested to see how they would do with Chandler at center, that would have been a really strong core...

BullsNumber1Fan
03-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Could a 6'8" rookie power forward playing at center and a shoot first 6'3" no defense guard for one of the worst teams in the league this year make them top 5 in a year?

Hell no. They'd be like Portland from last year, promising but nothing. Probably a 9-10 seed.

First of all, Blake Griffin is 6'10" and not 6'8". Second, Ben Gordon has improved on defense and is around an average defender, or slightly below average, right now. He isn't as bad as people make him out too be, and that is from somebody who watches him every game.

superkegger
03-22-2009, 11:13 PM
First of all, Blake Griffin is 6'10" and not 6'8". Second, Ben Gordon has improved on defense and is around an average defender, or slightly below average, right now. He isn't as bad as people make him out too be, and that is from somebody who watches him every game.

Be that as it may, Griffin can't play C in the NBA. End of story.

BG, while he may not be the horrid defender he once was, is average at best. Put him and Durant at the wings, and you have a very poor defensive tandem at the wings. And I mean horrid.

Adding BG and Griffin to the Thunder in no way shape or form makes them a top 5 team. Which for all relative purposes would mean 50+ wins. There is no way in hell anyone can in their right mind tell me adding Ben Gordon and Blake Griffin would improve your win total by 28-30 games. That is an absurd statement.

Korman12
03-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Yes, Griffin is 6'10". This isn't a Beasley situation.

As for the Thunder, I doubt it'd be a top 5 situation by next season - but a strong, extremely strong possibility for the future.

mzgrizz
03-22-2009, 11:18 PM
Doubt it would make them top 5. Memphis is in a similar situation,only I think we are only a #4 position away from getting into Playoff contention.
Sounds like OKC has a few more gaps to fill.

IversonIsKrazy
03-22-2009, 11:21 PM
They have Jeff Green at PF spot, the guys averages 17 & 7. Hes gotta get that rebounding number to around 9. THey need a defensive minded C & SG. A guy like Thabeet would be good from the draft. Then sign a guy like Ron ARtest, but i highly hes gunna wanna go to Oaklahoma. Maybe Anthony Parker, give u 11ppg, solid 3-point shot, and defence.

Westbrooke/AP/"Baby Ice"/Jeff/Thabeet

Honestly, IMO i think u guys should just draft the best player available, hopefully get Thabeet, then wait next year to draft a star SG, or just sign sum1 from 2010. I dont think u guys r going to be a top 5 team until like 3 years from now.

ProdigyI
03-22-2009, 11:28 PM

BG, while he may not be the horrid defender he once was, is average at best. Put him and Durant at the wings, and you have a very poor defensive tandem at the wings. And I mean horrid.

Adding BG and Griffin to the Thunder in no way shape or form makes them a top 5 team. Which for all relative purposes would mean 50+ wins. There is no way in hell anyone can in their right mind tell me adding Ben Gordon and Blake Griffin would improve your win total by 28-30 games. That is an absurd statement.

If Ben Wallace, who is listed as 6-9 but is probably 6-7, can play the Center position and dominate it for a number of years, why do you think Blake Griffin, who is 6-10 and as strong as Wallace, not play the Center positiion? IMO you saying Blake Griffin can't play center is an absurd statement.

And I think you forget that Durant is averaging 26 this season as will only improve next year. Same goes for Westrbook and Green. Adding Gordon, who can pop the 3 anytime and score at will and has 3-4 years of playoff experience will only help them, not hurt them.

DoubleDragon
03-22-2009, 11:34 PM
They get the #1 pick and draft Griffin.

They pick up Ben Gordon in the offseason

Russel Westbrook
Ben Gordon
Kevin Durant
Jeff Green
Blake Griffin

Griffin will be an impact player next year IMO. Gordon is a very nice 20 PPG compliment to Durant. Westbrook is turning into a top PG. Jeff Green will contribute 16-17 a night.

That team would be a top 5 team in the West next season IMO.

In my humble opinion, this thread should change to "Could OKC make it into the playoffs next year if..." Top 5 just isn't realistic. I like the great young talent they have and the team's spirit and identity, but Top 5? Not with the top West teams and a rising young Portland squad.
Just my opinion. Nothing personal.

BullsNumber1Fan
03-22-2009, 11:40 PM

I agree with you on most of your statement. The Thunder are something like 17-20 since starting 3-29 though, and that isn't that bad. I think this would make them a 7-8 seed with anywhere from 40-45 wins though.

ProdigyI
03-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Here would be my projected stats for that starting 5 (points, assists, rebounds)

Russel Westrbook 15-7-5
Ben Gordon- 18
Kevin Durant- 27-4-6
Jeff Green 16-7
Blake Griffin- 15-10

If they put up those numbers, which they all should, this is a dangerous team

superkegger
03-22-2009, 11:44 PM
If Ben Wallace, who is listed as 6-9 but is probably 6-7, can play the Center position and dominate it for a number of years, why do you think Blake Griffin, who is 6-10 and as strong as Wallace, not play the Center positiion? IMO you saying Blake Griffin can't play center is an absurd statement.

And I think you forget that Durant is averaging 26 this season as will only improve next year. Same goes for Westrbook and Green. Adding Gordon, who can pop the 3 anytime and score at will and has 3-4 years of playoff experience will only help them, not hurt them.

Blake Griffin is not as strong as Ben Wallace, not the defender Ben Wallace is, and is still basically a kid. Blake would get eaten alive by NBA Centers. If that were their starting lineup, they'd have to play a SSOL type of offense. And while in the SSOL, Amare was a C, and even Diaw, who are both relatively the same size/strength and athleticism as Blake, they got eaten alive by NBA centers, even bad ones, like Kwame Brown.

Sure he could play C, but he'd be a defensive liability out there, and when you add in two other average at absolutely best defenders in BG and KD, you've got a very poor defensive team that would just continue to get rocked out there.

And adding Gordon probably wouldn't make much of a difference. It would be taking the ball out of Westbrook/Green and Durants hands, which is not exactly a great idea. Ben is somewhat of a chucker, and has been somewhat of a malcontent the past couple years. That is not what the Thunder need.

But if you really think adding griffin and gordon makes them a 50+ win team (which in all but 1 of the last 10 years, being a top 5 team in the west has meant wining 50+), then that's fine, I'll just use the handy ignore option because you're ignorant.

superkegger
03-22-2009, 11:49 PM
I agree with you on most of your statement. The Thunder are something like 17-20 since starting 3-29 though, and that isn't that bad. I think this would make them a 7-8 seed with anywhere from 40-45 wins though.

Maybe if they were in the east, 40-45 wins will likely still land you outside of the playoffs next year in the West. And you seriously think that adding griffing and gordon improves them by 20 wins? Especially with Griffin at C? I just fail to follow that train of thought. The west may be getting older, but it's not just going to completely fall off dead in the off season.

Baller1
03-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Maybe if they were in the east, 40-45 wins will likely still land you outside of the playoffs next year in the West. And you seriously think that adding griffing and gordon improves them by 20 wins? Especially with Griffin at C? I just fail to follow that train of thought. The west may be getting older, but it's not just going to completely fall off dead in the off season.

You do realize OKC has beaten multiple playoff teams, and been a .500 team since starting 3-27. The three best players on that team will have a combined 4 years of experience, only proving that they will be improving dramatically, relatively quickly. Durant is going to be a superstar by next season. Westbrook has been the best rookie since the all star break (arguably). Green is the perfect compliment to Durant. And you don't think that all of their games will be that much better by next season? Are they going to win 50? Who knows, it's definitely a stretch. But, you calling people ignorant for stating their opinions is only portraying your ignorance.

SteveNash
03-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Here would be my projected stats for that starting 5 (points, assists, rebounds)

Russel Westrbook 15-7-5
Ben Gordon- 18
Kevin Durant- 27-4-6
Jeff Green 16-7
Blake Griffin- 15-10

If they put up those numbers, which they all should, this is a dangerous team

Are the starters going to be playing 48 minutes a game? Not to mention they'd be horrible defensively. No way they're a top 5 team if all they add is Gordon and Griffin.

superkegger
03-23-2009, 12:29 AM
You do realize OKC has beaten multiple playoff teams, and been a .500 team since starting 3-27. The three best players on that team will have a combined 4 years of experience, only proving that they will be improving dramatically, relatively quickly. Durant is going to be a superstar by next season. Westbrook has been the best rookie since the all star break (arguably). Green is the perfect compliment to Durant. And you don't think that all of their games will be that much better by next season? Are they going to win 50? Who knows, it's definitely a stretch. But, you calling people ignorant for stating their opinions is only portraying your ignorance.

I do think their games will be better by next season. I just don't see it culminating in them winning 50 games. While they will improve, does the unlikely event of adding blake griffin at C, and a semi chucker in BG at the 2 make the whole team better? Maybe, just adding talent doesn't always make a team better though either. Look at the suns. Griffin at C simply doesn't work, and Gordon at the 2 doesn't really add a dimension they don't already have. KD and Green already provide ample outside shooting. What the OP proposed and further insisted is simply non sensical.

kjdills13
03-23-2009, 01:06 AM
i think that they will make a trade and not use there high draft pick.

green and there top 4 pick ( thats prob what they will get) to the suns

for

amare, Alando tucker and the suns 2nd round draft pic this year.

helps the thunder becasue now they have a top 3 power forward in the league to pair with kevin durrant and westbrook. That team is a top 5 team in the league next year. They dont need any more young players.

The suns then get a good young small forward in green and a high pick so they could draft beasly if lucky or get james harden or a point guard to be the air to nash.

what do you guys think

superkegger
03-23-2009, 01:19 AM
i think that they will make a trade and not use there high draft pick.

green and there top 4 pick ( thats prob what they will get) to the suns

for

amare, Alando tucker and the suns 2nd round draft pic this year.

helps the thunder becasue now they have a top 3 power forward in the league to pair with kevin durrant and westbrook. That team is a top 5 team in the league next year. They dont need any more young players.

The suns then get a good young small forward in green and a high pick so they could draft beasly if lucky or get james harden or a point guard to be the air to nash.

what do you guys think

Absolutely no way.

1. Why take on amare? He is likely to opt out in 2010, and then you just traded Green and a top 5 pick for Alando tucker and a 2nd.

2. Amare is not a top 3 PF in the NBA. Absolutely no way.

3. Draft Beasley? Do you mean Blake Griffin? If you do, there's no way he's not the #1 overall pick, if the Thunder get the #1 overall pick, why would you trade it and Green for Amare?

4. Lastly, Amare is way way overrated. He is not a hot commodity. Not only is he likely to opt out in 2010, but he's been shown to be less effective without Nash, and without the SSOL system. He's failed to improve defensively at all, and his offensive game also hasn't improved much since he came back from microfracture. Amare would be a nice steal for a contending team, but he's not what a team wants to ahve as one of the building blocks of their team.

CoKe WaVe
03-23-2009, 01:45 AM
in the west? no not yet maybe 4-5 years

KG#1
03-23-2009, 01:47 AM
as someone else said anthony parker would be a way better pickup than gordon... hes a slightly worse shooter but a way better defender and leader which is more what okc needs, also thabeet is a better pick for them because despite what some of u think griffin is not a center (not for any other reason than why be a half decent centre when u can be a great pf)

Nets fan 93
03-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Doubt it would make them top 5. Memphis is in a similar situation,only I think we are only a #4 position away from getting into Playoff contention.
Sounds like OKC has a few more gaps to fill.
Depends on how good the PF is because your PG position needs work too.

dgreat5000
03-23-2009, 08:47 PM
they would just turn into the 2008 Bulls

rose-westbrook
gordon
durant- salmons ( 18 pts a game)
green- dend ( 15-20 pts a game)
griffin- thomas.

obviousy griffin is better than tyrus, but deng is much better than green... so it makes up 4 it

dolfan720
03-23-2009, 09:09 PM
they wont get griffen trust me

Top 10 teams in west next season

Lakers
Rockets
Blazers
Hornets
Nuggets
thunder
warriors
spurs
jazz
suns

lakersrock
03-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Draft Thabeet and sign Lee.

Westbrook
Green
Durant
Lee
Thabeet

That's a heck of a defensive team. Durant is the worst and he isn't TERRIBLE. They would easily make the playoffs if healthy and could make a run at the Top 5.

Sportfan
03-23-2009, 09:33 PM
Top 5? No maybe they can sneak into the playoff picture tho

what54!?
03-23-2009, 09:35 PM
next year. Not even close no.

A couple years from now. Yeah if they learn how to win games and gel together