PDA

View Full Version : Could LeBron James steal away with league's top defensive award?

JordansBulls
03-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Source: Cleveland (http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/03/nba_insider_could_lebron_james.html)

CLEVELAND -- There's a good chance LeBron James will claim his first Most Valuable Player award this season.
Winning that honor is no doubt an extreme accomplishment, but it may not be the only individual trophy James will be chasing during his career. As he has matured over the last two seasons, he's continued to become more of a force at the defensive end and now some are wondering whether he could ever get his hands on a Defensive Player of the Year Award.

codes238
03-22-2009, 07:01 PM
possibly in the future... dwights getting it this year although i think KG should really get it again, he is boston's defense!

LAKERS 24/7
03-22-2009, 07:02 PM
H's better defensively without a doubt, but DPOY is going way too far.

Raidaz4Life
03-22-2009, 07:03 PM
H's better defensively without a doubt, but DPOY is going way too far.

exactly... are you serious?? DPOY is a HUGE stretch

$KnicksAndKobe$
03-22-2009, 08:08 PM
It's Dwights this year

JJ81
03-22-2009, 08:08 PM
No.

superkegger
03-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Someday perhaps, but not this year. Not really even close this year.

Powerball
03-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Someday perhaps, but not this year. Not really even close this year.

true that lol this is dwight howard's award to steal.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Not this year.

what54!?
03-22-2009, 08:19 PM
Not this year.

oshea225
03-22-2009, 08:23 PM
has anyone ever won mvp and dpoy in the same season? or even both at some point in a career? just wondering

ARMIN12NBA
03-22-2009, 08:27 PM
has anyone ever won mvp and dpoy in the same season? or even both at some point in a career? just wondering

Michael Jordan.

oshea225
03-22-2009, 08:32 PM
Michael Jordan.

same season? or just in the career?

DreamShaker
03-22-2009, 08:34 PM

I think Hakeem might have done it.

Lakermania33
03-22-2009, 08:34 PM
I guess I'm confused. I don't listen and buy everything that the media sales so I'm always the odd man out. How do LBJ, Kobe and D-Wade get all this Defensive attention. Cav's were somewhere between 1 and 3 last year defensively and this year number 1. Lakers were about 17 or 18 defensively last year and this year they are 13, a moderate climb. The Heat have made a moderate improvement as well. How do these 3 get all this attention on D? Should we say that LBJ and D-Wade were defensive liabilities last year but we all turned our head because of their names. I know the NBA has made these two guys but this is ridiculous.

ARMIN12NBA
03-22-2009, 08:35 PM

Same season. 1988.

DreamShaker
03-22-2009, 08:36 PM
I think Hakeem might have done it.

Yeah in 94 he won DPOY, MVP, and Finals MVP.

andybauer91
03-22-2009, 08:48 PM
dwight howard

desertlakeshow
03-22-2009, 08:54 PM
A huge no.

prodigy
03-22-2009, 09:00 PM
possibly in the future... dwights getting it this year although i think KG should really get it again, he is boston's defense!

nope, He missed way to much time, he also can't cover PG's, SG's, SF's like bron can. Bron can also cover PF's and most centers.

I do agree dwight will most likely get it. although he is not that good of a defender, Just shot blocker. wade is a very good defender to, But his team is not nearly good enough.

Also, People who say lebron is not even near winning it, have not seen him play this season. He is a beast right now.

ARMIN12NBA
03-22-2009, 09:04 PM
nope, He missed way to much time, he also can't cover PG's, SG's, SF's like bron can. Bron can also cover PF's and most centers.

I do agree dwight will most likely get it. although he is not that good of a defender, Just shot blocker. wade is a very good defender to, But his team is not nearly good enough.

Also, People who say lebron is not even near winning it, have not seen him play this season. He is a beast right now.

Just because Lebron can guard more positions than KG, doesn't make him a better defender than KG. Lebron "can" guard positions 1-4, but not very well. KG can dominate a game defensively by shutting his man down and by clogging the paint and rotating to stop penetration.

Kakaroach
03-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Lol DPOY is simply ridiculous. Its going to Howard. Thats two awards in a row for Orlando - Hedo last year with Most Improved.

Lakersfan2483
03-22-2009, 09:30 PM
No, Lebron's not the defensive player of the year.

Wilson
03-22-2009, 10:08 PM
I really think Kobe could have put his name in that discussion if he'd shown more determination to play defense...

But yeah, LeBron's improved a lot. Like everyone else has said, I don't think he gets it this year, but he might at some point down the road.

GoatMilk
03-22-2009, 10:14 PM

1988 he won MVP and DPOY

GspLAL
03-22-2009, 10:21 PM
It's Dwights or Wades, Wade is 2nd in the league in blocks right? Damn as a SG that's impressive.

Wilson
03-22-2009, 10:37 PM
It's Dwights or Wades, Wade is 2nd in the league in blocks right? Damn as a SG that's impressive.

Where'd you get that? He's 19th, according to ESPN...

da wood
03-22-2009, 10:45 PM
the only person that should get dpoy consideration is kobe and these guys are getting better because of them spending the summer with kobe on the olympic team.

Wilson
03-22-2009, 10:50 PM
the only person that should get dpoy consideration is kobe and these guys are getting better because of them spending the summer with kobe on the olympic team.

He's slacked off way too much this season...

ntat
03-22-2009, 10:59 PM
he better not get it

Rocco007
03-22-2009, 11:17 PM
CP3 wins it this year...

Ni55anpat
03-22-2009, 11:22 PM
WOW:confused:

I think Dwade will get it.

No way Lebron will win.......Especially since Dwage leads Lebron in steals and blocks.

IversonIsKrazy
03-22-2009, 11:28 PM
R u guys kidding me, were talking about DPOY and Ben Gordons name isnt in this?? lol!

Lemme tell u whos going to win DPOY, and this is sooo tru: Whoever doesn't win the MVP between LeBron & Wade, is going to get DPOY OR Dwight Howard.

Most likely scenario: LeBron wins MVP, either Wade or D12 gets DPOY.

IversonIsKrazy
03-22-2009, 11:28 PM
Neither LeBron nor D-Wade are going to win MVP & DPOY.

IversonIsKrazy
03-22-2009, 11:29 PM
seriously guys, BG7 - Ben Gordon - DPOY from 2009-2012!

CaptainCool79
03-23-2009, 02:39 AM
Well look at the circumstance KG won it under. Best Defensive player on the Best Defensive team. The Cavs are statistically the best defensive team in the league, and lebron is easily their best defender so basically...if you agree with KG getting it last year, you should believe that lebron should get it this year.

LAKERS 24/7
03-23-2009, 02:49 AM
Well look at the circumstance KG won it under. Best Defensive player on the Best Defensive team. The Cavs are statistically the best defensive team in the league, and lebron is easily their best defender so basically...if you agree with KG getting it last year, you should believe that lebron should get it this year.

haha funny sig.

honestly, lebron is a great player, but if he wins the DPOY, it is a joke

CaptainCool79
03-23-2009, 02:54 AM
haha funny sig.

honestly, lebron is a great player, but if he wins the DPOY, it is a joke

haha yea, thanks for the sig props. I agree though, i wouldnt pick LeBron first this year either but you can understand the reasoning behind it, is all im saying.

GspLAL
03-23-2009, 02:54 AM
Where'd you get that? He's 19th, according to ESPN...

Really? I thought they said he's second in the league in blocks (not bpg) during the Pistons-Heat game, oh well I guess I heard wrong. Just checked, yea he's 19th, maybe they said steals, idk.

LAKERS 24/7
03-23-2009, 03:14 AM
haha yea, thanks for the sig props. I agree though, i wouldnt pick LeBron first this year either but you can understand the reasoning behind it, is all im saying.

I completely understand what your saying. The thing about awards by the media is that they're so inconsistent. By their definition of MVP (best player on the best team), Kobe shouldn't have won it last year. In accordance with that it doesn't necessarily mean Lebron has been the best defensive player all year.

CaptainCool79
03-23-2009, 04:12 AM
I completely understand what your saying. The thing about awards by the media is that they're so inconsistent. By their definition of MVP (best player on the best team), Kobe shouldn't have won it last year. In accordance with that it doesn't necessarily mean Lebron has been the best defensive player all year.

I couldn't agree more. I wish they would decide what the definition of an MVP or ROY or DPOY and stick to it.

SteveNash
03-23-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm sure he could, as proven in the past, some of the people voting don't have a clue.

Brother J
03-23-2009, 07:56 AM
I think Kobe deserves it

I'm not a Kobe's fan,I'm the biggest LeBron's fan

He isn't a lock down defender he just can block and steal but he improves so much this year!

But who knows? if LeBron win,I would be happy

Lebron23
03-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Dwight will win the NBA Defensive Player of the Year, but LeBron will be selected in the All NBA Defensive First Team.

J-Relo
03-24-2009, 11:35 AM
well he has very good defensive stats (not talking about steals and blocks)...

Teeboy1487
03-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Dwight Howard deserves DPOY this year. Lebron has been defending very well this year but not better than Howard.

prodigy
03-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Just because Lebron can guard more positions than KG, doesn't make him a better defender than KG. Lebron "can" guard positions 1-4, but not very well. KG can dominate a game defensively by shutting his man down and by clogging the paint and rotating to stop penetration.

Watch some games buddy. Lebron has been a very good defender. Like i said, howard will get it.

Kiss Ma Grits
03-24-2009, 09:33 PM
Lebron has 21 chase downs with 12 games to go. 21 chase downs and that's still not good enough to at LEAST be consider for the award??? Lebron is in the top 10 in steals, has 21 chase downs, and ranks in the top 25 in rebounding, still not convinced? Man this forum is full of too many haters and biased fans. Give credit where credit is due, geez

Sportfan
03-24-2009, 10:07 PM
I'll be surprised if LBJ wins DPOY

GatorKid117
03-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Lebron has 21 chase downs with 12 games to go. 21 chase downs and that's still not good enough to at LEAST be consider for the award??? Lebron is in the top 10 in steals, has 21 chase downs, and ranks in the top 25 in rebounding, still not convinced? Man this forum is full of too many haters and biased fans. Give credit where credit is due, geez

21 chase downs, wow!!!! That's a whole 21 possessions the whole year LeBron has affected. Obviously the other 6720 possessions (assuming the league average of 96 a game per team) that LeBron plays D for has no bearing on the award because he has a WHOLE 21 chase downs the whole year.

Now a case for Howard,
Howard currently leads the NBA in blocked shots and rebounding. Only four other players in NBA history have finished the season leading the league in both categories -- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in 1975-1976 (16.9 rpg and 4.12 blocks); Bill Walton in '76-'77 (14.4 rpg and 3.3. blocks); Hakeem Olajuwon '89-'90 (14.0 rpg and 4.6 blocks); Ben Wallace (13 rpg and 3.5 blocks). Not bad company to keep… Howard also has combined 262 blocks and steals (199 blocks, 63 steals), which also leads the NBA… Dwight has recorded 10 games with 15-or-more rebounds and five-or more blocked shots this season. No other player in the NBA has had more than one game with 15+ boards and 5+ rejections. Get the picture....

LOL at calling other people homers when you can't see LeBron winning the award would be an outright travesty. I agree LeBron has some nice highlight reel plays but get back to me when he can completely take over a game defensively and change the other team's game plan.

Zefflin
03-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Gatorkid is the ****.

Kiss Ma Grits
03-24-2009, 10:39 PM
21 chase downs, wow!!!! That's a whole 21 possessions the whole year LeBron has affected. Obviously the other 6720 possessions (assuming the league average of 96 a game per team) that LeBron plays D for has no bearing on the award because he has a WHOLE 21 chase downs the whole year.

Now a case for Howard,
Howard currently leads the NBA in blocked shots and rebounding. Only four other players in NBA history have finished the season leading the league in both categories -- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in 1975-1976 (16.9 rpg and 4.12 blocks); Bill Walton in '76-'77 (14.4 rpg and 3.3. blocks); Hakeem Olajuwon '89-'90 (14.0 rpg and 4.6 blocks); Ben Wallace (13 rpg and 3.5 blocks). Not bad company to keep… Howard also has combined 262 blocks and steals (199 blocks, 63 steals), which also leads the NBA… Dwight has recorded 10 games with 15-or-more rebounds and five-or more blocked shots this season. No other player in the NBA has had more than one game with 15+ boards and 5+ rejections. Get the picture....

LOL at calling other people homers when you can't see LeBron winning the award would be an outright travesty. I agree LeBron has some nice highlight reel plays but get back to me when he can completely take over a game defensively and change the other team's game plan.

Look at the Level of competition that Howard plays against on a night in night out basis. The position of the center isn't even in the same ballpark as it was when Bill Walton, Hakeen Olajuwon, and Kareem Abdul Jabbar play first of all so let's also mention THAT too. I never said that Lebron not winning it would be an outright travesty. I said that it's flat out hating and being biased when you say that he shouldn't even been mentioned. If 21 chase downs aren't impressive as you may think then could you tell me who is in second and how many they have? Cause I think it's real impressive to run down that many plays ESSPECIALLY with him running down mostly guards who are considered faster then fowards.

Not to take anything away from Howard but it's one thing to be blocking shots of players who you have a half of foot or a few feet on with that leaping ability. It's another thing to running down point guards who have a few steps on you. Hey maybe I'm just being bias though, lol. I think Wade and Kobe are just as deserving so let me ask you, am I still biased as you?

GatorKid117
03-24-2009, 11:15 PM
Look at the Level of competition that Howard plays against on a night in night out basis. The position of the center isn't even in the same ballpark as it was when Bill Walton, Hakeen Olajuwon, and Kareem Abdul Jabbar play first of all so let's also mention THAT too. I never said that Lebron not winning it would be an outright travesty. I said that it's flat out hating and being biased when you say that he shouldn't even been mentioned. If 21 chase downs aren't impressive as you may think then could you tell me who is in second and how many they have? Cause I think it's real impressive to run down that many plays ESSPECIALLY with him running down mostly guards who are considered faster then fowards.

Not to take anything away from Howard but it's one thing to be blocking shots of players who you have a half of foot or a few feet on with that leaping ability. It's another thing to running down point guards who have a few steps on you. Hey maybe I'm just being bias though, lol. I think Wade and Kobe are just as deserving so let me ask you, am I still biased as you?

I have no idea who has the 2nd most chase downs nor do I care. Do you know why? Because they are highlight reel plays that maybe happen once every 5 games. Are they impressive? Of course they are. They are like half court shots. Happen every once in awhile but don't really mean anything. But the thing is, your whole argument for LeBron being mentioned for DPOY was essentially because of those chase downs. The reality is, they do not mean anything to overall defense nor should they be used for an argument.

And your right, you did only say mention for DPOY and I read that wrong, I apologize. But I really don't see where LeBron isn't being mentioned for the award so I don't really see your point. Maybe this thread but the overall consensus is he is top 5 DPOY candidate.

Ok back to the subject, you are saying that because Howard does not play in an era dominated by centers that somehow diminishes his impact on defense. Hold on for a sec, LOL!!!!!!!!! What does this have to do with ANYTHING. The league is constantly changing with rules, athletes and coaching that affect how the game is played. The added rules of defensive 3 seconds, zone defenses and hand-checks have made this a predominantly perimeter-oriented league. This cannot be disputed. As a matter a fact, I would say it is MUCH harder for centers to dominate in today's league then back then making what Howard is doing that much more impressive. Furthermore, for all of these greats, how many Greg Fosters and Joel Anthonys were in the league as well? I'm sure the same number as there are now.

Howard is anchoring the #2 defensive efficient team in league with Hedo Turkoglu and Rashard "Sharmin" Lewis as the only other frontcourt help. The era has absolutely nothing to do with how impressive his numbers are. Other great centers don't block shots for you or anchor defenses for you. They may score on you but thats about it.

Howard=DPOY and yes I am a Magic fan and am biased slightly. But that has nothing to do with the fact that Howard is absolute beasting on defense this year and is a force to be reckoned with.

LAKERS 24/7
03-25-2009, 12:34 AM
I have no idea who has the 2nd most chase downs nor do I care. Do you know why? Because they are highlight reel plays that maybe happen once every 5 games. Are they impressive? Of course they are. They are like half court shots. Happen every once in awhile but don't really mean anything. But the thing is, your whole argument for LeBron being mentioned for DPOY was essentially because of those chase downs. The reality is, they do not mean anything to overall defense nor should they be used for an argument.

And your right, you did only say mention for DPOY and I read that wrong, I apologize. But I really don't see where LeBron isn't being mentioned for the award so I don't really see your point. Maybe this thread but the overall consensus is he is top 5 DPOY candidate.

Ok back to the subject, you are saying that because Howard does not play in an era dominated by centers that somehow diminishes his impact on defense. Hold on for a sec, LOL!!!!!!!!! What does this have to do with ANYTHING. The league is constantly changing with rules, athletes and coaching that affect how the game is played. The added rules of defensive 3 seconds, zone defenses and hand-checks have made this a predominantly perimeter-oriented league. This cannot be disputed. As a matter a fact, I would say it is MUCH harder for centers to dominate in today's league then back then making what Howard is doing that much more impressive. Furthermore, for all of these greats, how many Greg Fosters and Joel Anthonys were in the league as well? I'm sure the same number as there are now.

Howard is anchoring the #2 defensive efficient team in league with Hedo Turkoglu and Rashard "Sharmin" Lewis as the only other frontcourt help. The era has absolutely nothing to do with how impressive his numbers are. Other great centers don't block shots for you or anchor defenses for you. They may score on you but thats about it.

Howard=DPOY and yes I am a Magic fan and am biased slightly. But that has nothing to do with the fact that Howard is absolute beasting on defense this year and is a force to be reckoned with.

Damn. After reading this I have no choice but to believe you. Howard for DPOY.

Lebron23
03-25-2009, 12:42 AM
2009 NBA All Defensive Team

C- Dwight Howard
F- Tim Duncan
F- LeBron James
G- Dwayne Wade
G- Chris Paul

ragee
03-25-2009, 01:30 AM
NO... Dwight deserves it... Give him at least that coz people are forgetting him in the MVP race...

GatorKid117
03-25-2009, 01:32 AM
Damn. After reading this I have no choice but to believe you. Howard for DPOY.

Lol, its nice to know my reasoning changed at least 1 person's mind. My work is now complete haha :D

ARMIN12NBA
03-25-2009, 01:50 AM
Dwight will win the NBA Defensive Player of the Year, but LeBron will be selected in the All NBA Defensive First Team.

Why? He hasn't been a top forward in terms of defensive play. He probably doesn't even deserve a Second Team nod either...

ARMIN12NBA
03-25-2009, 01:51 AM
Watch some games buddy. Lebron has been a very good defender. Like i said, howard will get it.

I probably watch more games than you...buddy. ;)

ARMIN12NBA
03-25-2009, 01:51 AM
2009 NBA All Defensive Team

C- Dwight Howard
F- Tim Duncan
F- LeBron James
G- Dwayne Wade
G- Chris Paul

No Kevin Garnett? No Kobe Bryant? Wow...

Lebron23
03-25-2009, 03:16 AM
No Kevin Garnett? No Kobe Bryant? Wow...

Kobe Bryant is an overrated defender while Kevin Garnett missed plenty of games in the regular season.

And here are the top 5 Candidates for NBA Defensive Player of the Year according to the ESPN Awards Watch.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/awards?page=awards-090324

Defensive Player of the Year Watch

1. Dwight Howard, Magic: He has 10 games this season with at least 15 rebounds and five blocked shots -- which is double the amount the rest of the league has combined. (Last week: 1)

2. Dwyane Wade, Heat: In Miami's win against Detroit on Sunday, he blocked four shots, including two in the final 22 seconds, to help preserve the lead. (Last week: 2)

3. LeBron James, Cavaliers: Against the Kings, he came up with a key steal with less than 30 seconds to go in regulation and then blocked Kevin Martin's shot on the final play to force overtime. (Last week: 4)

4. Shane Battier/Ron Artest, Rockets: Battier is one of the league's smartest defenders and Artest is one of the most aggressive. It also helps the dynamic duo that they have Yao Ming behind them to erase any mistakes. (Last week: 3)

5. Chris Paul, Hornets: Any list involving the league's top defensive players has to include the Celtics' Kevin Garnett. But KG has missed too many games this season to take this spot away from CP3, as a lot of reader e-mails have suggested. (Last week: 5)

JLynn943
03-25-2009, 03:57 AM
I'm certainly not a Celtics fan, but I feel like Paul Pierce is being overlooked. If Dwight doesn't get it, I think Pierce should. His defense has improved greatly over how it was a few years ago, and I would trust him defending a team's top scorer more than I would LeBron, Wade, or (especially) Chris Paul.

LAKERS 24/7
03-25-2009, 04:07 PM
Kobe Bryant is an overrated defender while Kevin Garnett missed plenty of games in the regular season.

And here are the top 5 Candidates for NBA Defensive Player of the Year according to the ESPN Awards Watch.

Overrated? I don't think so. Not inspired sometimes (call it lack of respect for the opposing SG)? Perhaps

Watch at the 3:15 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItVUFEcw4BU

Now that's D.

prodigy
03-25-2009, 04:21 PM

Now a case for Howard,

Lebron james will not win it. But what the guy was trying to say is lebron should be 2nd or 3rd on that list. People are so bias for there own players, That they think nobody else could play defense. Lebron is no question in the mix, But howard on his blocks alone will win it.

21 chase downs is alot. I don't think anyone else is near that. Plus his ability to shut down PGs to some centers late in games is just crazy good. Lebron will win this award down the road. But like i said, Howard will win it just because he has alot of blocks.

JayW_1023
03-25-2009, 04:23 PM
LeBron has improved significantly as a defender...but all the talk of him being an elite defender is still ludicrous.

Howard is even a worse defender. But he does have a huge impact on defense with his size, rebounding...because without him the Magic would be worse defensively than the Warriors.

LTS
03-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Lebron will never win it his O overshadows his D and dwight will always around along with CP3 etc

fishfan79
03-25-2009, 06:00 PM
hmm kobe and wade and howard are all far better

ARMIN12NBA
03-25-2009, 06:42 PM

Kobe Bryant is a great defender and is definitely not overrated. Garnett has missed a few games, but not enough to knock him out of a recognition that he rightly deserves.

Also, what was the point of showing me the ESPN Awards Watch? Do you actually think I take ESPN's opinion seriously here? Their agenda is clear.

ARMIN12NBA
03-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Lebron james will not win it. But what the guy was trying to say is lebron should be 2nd or 3rd on that list. People are so bias for there own players, That they think nobody else could play defense. Lebron is no question in the mix, But howard on his blocks alone will win it.

21 chase downs is alot. I don't think anyone else is near that. Plus his ability to shut down PGs to some centers late in games is just crazy good. Lebron will win this award down the road. But like i said, Howard will win it just because he has alot of blocks.

No...unless the voters go completely crazy or Lebron improves greatly.

JayW_1023
03-25-2009, 06:47 PM
I personally think KG and Battier are more deserving than LBJ and Howard, but they have missed significant time to injury.