PDA

View Full Version : No respect for Houston Rockets?

AWC713
03-22-2009, 06:13 PM
The Rockets are now the #2 seed in the west.

They've gelled well without T-Mac (in fact, its arguable that they are a better team), and they just won in SA without Carl Landry, but no one gives them the respect they deserve; instead, the media focuses solely on the Lakers, Jazz, and Spurs.

They play championship basketball in the sense that they win with defense (two of the best defenders in the game in artest and battier) and have great chemistry. They have great veteran leadership, and a center no one can stop (look at the stats, dwight, shaq...no one stops him). They have seemingly no locker room drama to take away from what they've done, so my question is this:

Why is there no love for the Rockets?

Joshtd1
03-22-2009, 06:16 PM

They've gelled well without T-Mac (in fact, its arguable that they are a better team), and they just won in SA without Carl Landry, but no one gives them the respect they deserve; instead, the media focuses solely on the Lakers, Jazz, and Spurs.

They play championship basketball in the sense that they win with defense (two of the best defenders in the game in artest and battier) and have great chemistry. They have great veteran leadership, and a center no one can stop (look at the stats, dwight, shaq...no one stops him). They have seemingly no locker room drama to take away from what they've done, so my question is this:

Uh....what media are you watching? Because no one ever talks about the Jazz or Spurs.

Rockets are good team no doubt, but if they want to go far..Yao has to be demanding the ball instead of Artest chucking up shots.

Also its probably because of their past, and not being able to get out of the first round recently, maybe people think it will be the same?

Kakaroach
03-22-2009, 06:16 PM
The Jazz haven't had much attention until they went on that winning streak. :pity: But yea the Rockets haven't had the attention they deserve as well.

Chateamsfan
03-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Nope no respect for Rockets! ROFL!

goku
03-22-2009, 06:24 PM
its ok the rockets are just under the radar they play better this way

dtmagnet
03-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Why would people give love to a team that they aren't a fan of, yeah the Rockets are playing awsome especially without T-Mac, and Battier is one of my favorite players in the league because of his all around commitment to winning, but I'm not gonna drop my team to become a Rockets fan or something.

astrosmaniac
03-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Nope no respect for Rockets! ROFL!

like bobcat fans have any room to talk...

Tblaze
03-22-2009, 06:28 PM
I think it's better for them to be in the underdog position this time, plus they need to prove they can get out the first round this year.

astrosmaniac
03-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Why would people give love to a team that they aren't a fan of, yeah the Rockets are playing awsome especially without T-Mac, and Battier is one of my favorite players in the league because of his all around commitment to winning, but I'm not gonna drop my team to become a Rockets fan or something.

thats not what hes saying. hes saying whenever people talk about possible contenders, they mention the lakers, spurs, and sometimes the jazz. hes wondering why other people dont give them respect and say, "hey, that team is really good". im a rockets fan and i respect the spurs, jazz, lakers, orlando, etc. even though im not a fan of those teams

FOBolous
03-22-2009, 06:33 PM
yea that's what I was thinking just now...the Rockets just beat the Spurs for the #2 spot in the tough Western Conference...where a losing streak of any kind can knock you out of the playoffs...and ESPN does't feature the win on the front page. i keep refreshing waiting for it to change and it doesn't.

Instead, they have the Detroit vs Miami game on the front page. C'mon now...they chose to feature a game that has no significance between the #7 team and #5 the from the LEASTern Conference over a game between the #2 and #3 team from the Western Conference where seeding in the playoffs is on the line. seriously. what. the. hell.

pippsux
03-22-2009, 06:33 PM

You are absolutely right, it is almost embarrassing to watch all these so called analysts jump from bandwagon to bandwagon. But when it comes to the rockets, every excuse in the book is given as to why they won't or are not good enough. If you analyze the rockets purely from a basketball stand point, x and o's, defense etc they should be getting press.

All the rockets need to do is keep trucking and keep beating teams like they have been doing. Nobody wants this team come playoff time.

durtee
03-22-2009, 06:35 PM
I would think that Rocket fans would like not having the attention and I am sure that they players do. There are a lot of teams that deserve more attention, but don't get it because they don't have a Lebron, Kobe or Wade.

Beno7500
03-22-2009, 06:53 PM
damn there goes our decent pick

pete_one
03-22-2009, 08:13 PM
no respect for t-mac n' cheese knees

Hawkeye15
03-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Living in Houston, and supporting them as my 2nd favorite team, stuff like this makes me sick. Why does a team that constantly underachieves need respect? Until the Rockets prove to be simply more than first round knock out material, why would anyone bother talking about them??

superkegger
03-22-2009, 08:23 PM
yea that's what I was thinking just now...the Rockets just beat the Spurs for the #2 spot in the tough Western Conference...where a losing streak of any kind can knock you out of the playoffs...and ESPN does't feature the win on the front page. i keep refreshing waiting for it to change and it doesn't.

Instead, they have the Detroit vs Miami game on the front page. C'mon now...they chose to feature a game that has no significance between the #7 team and #5 the from the LEASTern Conference over a game between the #2 and #3 team from the Western Conference where seeding in the playoffs is on the line. seriously. what. the. hell.

Stars sell. On a Sunday during the first weekend of march madness, what is the more casual observer going to watch? Spurs Rockets or Wade?

I dislike ESPN and their analysts. They do a poor job covering and breaking down the NBA. (The ESPN TV people that is, their writers do a much better job.) But they're trying to be a competitive business, and to entertain. People need to stop *****ing and moaning about what ESPN TV does, and realize they're trying to make money.

da wood
03-22-2009, 08:33 PM
as a laker fan i have been telling people that i'm not worried about any team in the western concrence. well to be honest if the rockets ever figure it out there will be problems for everyone. i do think a healthy productive tracy need to be in the mix though

wwwhat
03-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Until Yao demands the ball and yells at his PGs for not feeding him the ball I won't respect them nor consider them a championship contender.

jimbobjarree
03-22-2009, 08:45 PM
Uh....what media are you watching? Because no one ever talks about the Jazz or Spurs.

Rockets are good team no doubt, but if they want to go far..Yao has to be demanding the ball instead of Artest chucking up shots.

Also its probably because of their past, and not being able to get out of the first round recently, maybe people think it will be the same?

listen to the mighty Josh, he knows the score..you muppets get a lot more media than the forgotten Jazz and Spurs, who have both done a mighty fine job despite injuries.

Lakermania33
03-22-2009, 08:50 PM

I agree totally. I don't have any fear of the Rockets. It's not because of the lack of talent but because it seems they will always find a way to screw it up. A perfect example are the two Laker games. You guys very well could have won both games but found a way to lose both. No disrespect but I had no doubt during either one of those games that you would.

BenFrank
03-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Idk why.. it's weired, we never at 100% that could be the reason, but when we lose one of our star player's.. we just get better, and still no love.. and a lot of hate.. a lot of guys on here said we wouldn't make the playoff's, the same people who knew nothing about the rocket's.. or maybe thay just had a little to much of bubba chuck

Kakaroach
03-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Until Yao demands the ball and yells at his PGs for not feeding him the ball I won't respect them nor consider them a championship contender. Couldn't agree more. People keep saying Yao is their franchise player, but he gets 13 shots a game. They need to feed him more so that they will be better. They won't be a contender until they take advantage of the best center in the game.

#1Mavericksfan
03-22-2009, 09:21 PM
Yea Rockets are good....they might have a chance to get out the first round this year.

G-Funk
03-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Team needs to prove that they can keep that 2nd seed and you will hear about them, the Spurs were the team talked about most as the team that can take the Lakers out of the playoffs. That's because they had the second best record in the West.

lorenz00
03-22-2009, 10:15 PM

Yah Houston is good but at the end of the playoffs you'll see lakers winning the west or the spurs!!!!

brandt
03-23-2009, 12:11 AM

Who cares, what's new? No Houston Sport's team has ever gotten the respect they deserved compared to MOST professional teams. Mainly because most Houston teams have never really won in the past, and don't have a very big market. But alot of people just don't like the city of Houston either, for whatever reason. That's just the way it goes. Sports Illustrated didn't even put the Rockets on the cover when they won their first Championship, when most Championship teams would have been on there. Houston has never won anything before that, and Sports Illustrated just didn't think anyone would buy it. They were probably right. They put them on the cover when they won the second year in a row though. I'm a huge fan of Houston professional sports, but they have to earn respect first. The Rockets haven't earned it since they won back to back Championships. Even after last year with the 22 game winning streak (half of them played without Yao) they still didn't make it past the first round so big deal. Nice team record though and they got props for that. Even though they are playing without McGrady and Landry and have beaten some really good teams at home AND on the road, they MUST get past the first round to be taken seriously.

IversonIsKrazy
03-23-2009, 01:25 AM
lets c, there possibly the most UNDERACHEIVING TEAM in the past 4 years! They have never ****IN got out of the 1st round of the playoffs. There always a good season team, that sucks dick in the playoffs. And when do the Spurs ever get press, look at the injuries they ALWAYS have wiith Ginobili & Duncan. Even if the Spurs got a LOT of press, THEY DESERVE IT! There the best team of the 2000's. Always made PAST the 1st round! Won 4 championships. Houston hasnt even got out of the first-round w/ the T-Mac & YAo thing, HOUSTON DOESNT DESERVE A LOT OF HYPE!

DreamShaker
03-23-2009, 02:58 AM
listen to the mighty Josh

Josh is a big Sally.

GoatMilk
03-23-2009, 02:59 AM
I'll give them some props, they are great against the west, but suck against SA and L.A.
I hope they make it to the WCF :D

ggg
03-23-2009, 04:35 AM
they havent proven they can win a series compared to the spurs who had 4 championships in a decade.

fredv
03-23-2009, 04:45 AM
I'd like to thank the San Antonio Spurs, for Mr LUUUUUIIIS SCOOOOLLAAA!!!

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/1123/nba_g_lscola_260.jpg

JayW_1023
03-23-2009, 05:21 AM
It's good to see the Rockets developing an identity with a consistent rotation. Rick Adelman has always been underrated.

As for my perspective as a Spurs fan, you Rocket-supporters can have the division if it means Manu is back and everyone is healthy come playoff time :D

Verbal Christ
03-23-2009, 08:03 AM
nothing new, let the lakers,cavs,celts,and spurs feel the pressure of being the favorites, we thrive in the underdog role.

jimbobjarree
03-23-2009, 11:10 AM
^yeah you've really shown that the last handful of years :rolleyes:

MTone8788
03-23-2009, 11:24 AM
The Rockets are playing great, but no team should get real respect until they win the CHAMPIONSHIP. That is all that it comes down to...

Verbal Christ
03-23-2009, 12:00 PM
^yeah you've really shown that the last handful of years :rolleyes:

keep rolling your eyes sweetheart, it makes you look cute. what exactly has the jazz accomplished in the last few years? just like a jazzhole, think of ANYTHING he can hold onto since the reality of the situation is that your team has never, will never ... ever .. ever .. ever win anything other than the nortwest division .. hey do you get a ring for that?

SanAntonioSpurs23
03-23-2009, 12:12 PM
I will give credit when it is do and say the Rockets have done a great job ever since Mcgrady went down. They have been able to get some quality wins and they are now in 2nd place in the West. Overall the game yesterday was pretty fair but the only problem I had was the non offensive goaltending call on Yao. That was a big play for the Rockets that shouldn't have counted and shifted the momentum back to Houston. Anyway GG, let's see if you all can hang onto that 2nd seed for long because you all have to travel to Utah......

Spurs will be back in the 2nd seed by the end of the week....

shep33
03-23-2009, 12:15 PM
The Rockets are the most consistent team in the NBA PERIOD!!! That's why they'll lose in the first round again...

Verbal Christ
03-23-2009, 12:28 PM
^^^did larry, moe or curly influence that statement? go back to watching kobe,lebron,wade or whoever the commercials tell you to watch mmkay.

shep33
03-23-2009, 12:39 PM
^^^did larry, moe or curly influence that statement? go back to watching kobe,lebron,wade or whoever the commercials tell you to watch mmkay.

All joking aside, I actually like the Rockets, but they pretty much had the same team last year and I don't think they can score with anyone else in the west when playoffs come. They don't have that guy that can take over or give you a big shot when you need it.

fredv
03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
All joking aside, I actually like the Rockets, but they pretty much had the same team last year and I don't think they can score with anyone else in the west when playoffs come. They don't have that guy that can take over or give you a big shot when you need it.

True. But they play spectacular team ball and that can help aswell. On this team, anyone except Hayes and Mutumbo is capable of putting 15+ a night.

GodsSon
03-23-2009, 12:57 PM
i hope they can make it past the first round just to spite t-mac lol

DitchDat
03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Yeah, for a team everyone expected to have no chemistry, they have been playing well. Now they have to get rid of T-Mac.

JordansBulls
03-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Rockets don't deserve any respect until they make it out of round 1.

what54!?
03-23-2009, 01:00 PM
the rockets always do good during the season then get booted in the first round of the playoffs. When they get out of the first round they'll get more respect.

bartlett2266
03-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Earn it in the playoffs they still havent done a thing
what do u win for getting 2nd in the west?

Verbal Christ
03-23-2009, 01:38 PM
only thing that matters are rings, i totally agree.

Fire&Ice2&33
03-23-2009, 02:03 PM
We dont need respect!!! Yes we are #2 and this means nothing if we cant do nothing in the playoffs!!

I love the way that the rockets are playing...i said before that t-mac hurt us more than helped us this year bc of his injury!!! When he comes back next year healthy we only can get better

ALQ20
03-23-2009, 02:14 PM
We dont need respect!!! Yes we are #2 and this means nothing if we cant do nothing in the playoffs!!

I love the way that the rockets are playing...i said before that t-mac hurt us more than helped us this year bc of his injury!!! When he comes back next year healthy we only can get better

thats a consistent statement made year after year about mcgrady....rockets have to move on.

superkegger
03-23-2009, 02:31 PM
Josh is a big Sally.

That he is.

JJ81
03-23-2009, 02:40 PM
its ok the rockets are just under the radar they play better this way

they play better without t-mac.

jimbobjarree
03-23-2009, 02:47 PM
keep rolling your eyes sweetheart, it makes you look cute. what exactly has the jazz accomplished in the last few years? just like a jazzhole, think of ANYTHING he can hold onto since the reality of the situation is that your team has never, will never ... ever .. ever .. ever win anything other than the nortwest division .. hey do you get a ring for that?

I'm not the one saying we deserve respect when we've acomplished nothing, I'm not saying we're the ones that thrive in the underdog role..how the hell can you even say that when you havnt been out of the first round in so long?? Its just baffling

astrosmaniac
03-23-2009, 05:43 PM

mcgrady will miss the majority of next year and wont be resigned. they will let him walk and take the cap room or they will deal him to a rebuilding team for his expiring contract ala the pau gasol move

FOBolous
03-23-2009, 07:59 PM
mcgrady will miss the majority of next year and wont be resigned. they will let him walk and take the cap room or they will deal him to a rebuilding team for his expiring contract ala the pau gasol move

agreed. whoever that thinks mcgrady will be healthy again is a dellusional tmac fan boy. he will never ever be healthy ever again. hasn't been these past few seasons and definitely will not be after the microfractue surgery on his knees.

NYMetros
03-23-2009, 08:11 PM
They have been incredibly hot for a while. Maybe McGrady getting injured was a blessing in disguise. They obviously don't need him. He doesn't play defense, he takes plays and even games off, and he was becoming a locker room distraction. I remember back in January when people were giving up on them, but they have definitely turned it around.

xSolidx
03-23-2009, 08:16 PM
Rockets need to get past the 1st round, thats why

Everyone knows the Rockets always play well during the regular season. They even went on that historic tear last yr and won like 22 games in a row.

But once the playoffs start, its like they become a different team.

They need to show they can get it done in the postseason to get more respect.

THE_FLASH_21
03-23-2009, 08:27 PM
like bobcat fans have any room to talk...

They're improving big time.. Might make the playoffs... ..... W/E:rolleyes:

THE_FLASH_21
03-23-2009, 08:31 PM

Well said.. The Jazz and the Spurs are the most underrated teams in the whole league.... These (2) teams IMO are the teams that might knock off the Lakers... Spurs to me have a bigger chance. If Manu comes back and is healthy.... The Jazz could win 100 games in a row and still will get no respect.

The Rockets are playing good basketball. Yao has stepped up big time. They this all means nothing if they're gonna get knocked in the first round... By the looks of it they might run into the wrong teams in the playoffs... Utah, Portland or Dallas...

jimbobjarree
03-23-2009, 08:49 PM
^looking at the remaining schedule it looks hard for San Antonio not to be second seed, with Houston 3rd and Portland taking the NW division...Blazers and Spurs run ins are ridiculessly easy

Sportfan
03-23-2009, 09:38 PM

When the jazz were hot they were really talked about

Fire&Ice2&33
03-23-2009, 11:01 PM
I'd like to thank the San Antonio Spurs, for Mr LUUUUUIIIS SCOOOOLLAAA!!!

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/1123/nba_g_lscola_260.jpg

I know right!!! LUIS SCOLA

Fire&Ice2&33
03-23-2009, 11:05 PM
they play better without t-mac.

NO they dont!!! yeah when he is hurt they do

kvrnm
03-23-2009, 11:42 PM
aaron brooks is the sole reason i root for the rockets, out of the west team...

JordansBulls
03-24-2009, 12:23 AM
Right now the Rockets would be playing the Jazz again. 3rd year in a row and 3rd year in a row with HCA.

jimbobjarree
03-24-2009, 03:59 AM
^houston are matched up with portland currently :confused:

JordansBulls
03-24-2009, 10:54 AM
^houston are matched up with portland currently :confused:

You are right, Portland lost yesterday's game and fell to the 7th seed.

jimbobjarree
03-24-2009, 11:31 AM
we finally move up and we are still matched with SAS :pity:

after tonight we wont be matched up with SAS regardless of our result

DrDEADalready
03-24-2009, 11:40 AM
R E S P E C T. Find out what it means to me.

fredv
03-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Next time a Jazz Fan opens his mouth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0YoXt-mnug&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.clutchfans.net%2Fshowthread. php%3Ft%3D146697&feature=player_embedded

jimbobjarree
03-24-2009, 02:28 PM
Next time a Jazz Fan opens his mouth:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0YoXt-mnug&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.clutchfans.net%2Fshowthread. php%3Ft%3D146697&feature=player_embedded

and for the Rockets fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhgUBvgLNTo

Ballah0liC1
03-24-2009, 02:48 PM
all u haters must have been the ppl that said houston would fall to tenth place and miss the playoffs totally, well i quess u were all wrong

Verbal Christ
03-24-2009, 04:13 PM
yeah youtube is great, but a picture says a thousand words. so jazzholes what word comes to mind when you see korver balled up in the fetal position??? hi FREAKING larious. it starts with a B .. and ends with iiiatch. LOL

fredv
03-24-2009, 04:28 PM
and for the Rockets fan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhgUBvgLNTo

Too bad that video has no significance.. While my video shows you are an unclassy cheating ball club.

DreamShaker
03-24-2009, 06:27 PM
Let's calm it down a tad. The Rockets and Jazz have had a long and bloody history going back to the 90's. No love loss there. But let's get back to focusing on the task at hand.

Respect for the Rockets...ok I personally disagree with the assessment that this is the same team as last year. Yao is healthy. Artest is here instead of T-Mac, and has been playing well and providing better D while taking it to the basket more and letting Yao shine more (most of the time). Much deeper bench with Landry, Lowery, Wafer, and Barry. Deke and Hayes can be thrown in for defense. The team is a new team. Does this automatically mean a different result in the first round. I think it does. Does it m,ean we go any further> Absolutely not. And the Rockets will not be happy with a 2nd round birth. It's absolutely a step in the right direction, but this team wants to contend for a title. Do I think that is possible this season? Probably not. Next season. Maybe so. But I do hope they can make noise. It's about time they did SOMETHING.

jimbobjarree
03-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Too bad that video has no significance.. While my video shows you are an unclassy cheating ball club.

still find it a good listen

and yeah Korvers done that faetal position a few times lol, what a muppet :laugh2:

futureman
03-24-2009, 06:53 PM
It's probably due to the fact that there are only about 3 games separating the 2nd seed from the 7th. this could be totally different in a week.

Kakaroach
03-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Why do Rockets fans always start **** for no reason?! Just randomly decided to post some video?! Rockets don't get the respect they deserve, but thats hard when your player cries :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PofsN2LgH0I
And yea Korver loves that fetal postiton. Thats really not a suprise to anyone.

jimbobjarree
03-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Why do Rockets fans always start **** for no reason?! Just randomly decided to post some video?! Rockets don't get the respect they deserve, but thats hard when your player cries :(

I dunno, they have some mad hatred and wierd obsession with us, its quite strange. But its the passion they hate us with that I respect, how they get so angry over us...even with 2 titles you always get the feeling they still have a chip on their shoulder about us, when it should be the other way around...oh well, I'm sure we're destined to meet again in the playoffs.

Testaverde16
03-24-2009, 07:11 PM
The team thats constantly mentioned as the biggest challenge to the Lakers is getting overlooked?

What?

FOBolous
03-24-2009, 07:13 PM

this coming from a fan of a team that has the biggest cry baby on it. AK47 anyone?

Kakaroach
03-24-2009, 07:17 PM
this coming from a fan of a team that has the biggest cry baby on it. AK47 anyone? AK-47 is a crybaby? He doesn't flop nearly as much as people think, I think Scola flops more than him.

jimbobjarree
03-24-2009, 07:39 PM
you cant even talk about crybabys with yo boy tmac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O87XTtA6u_c&feature=related

FOBolous
03-24-2009, 09:29 PM
AK-47 is a crybaby? He doesn't flop nearly as much as people think, I think Scola flops more than him.

jazz fans *siiigh* :rolleyes: i don't blame you...i would be dellusional too if my team is filled with crybabies and floppers.

you cant even talk about crybabys with yo boy tmac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O87XTtA6u_c&feature=related

wow...is that the best you can do? seriously. I'm sure 99.9% of the people on this forum would say there's nothing wrong with crying over what he cried over. but crying about not getting enough playing time and about you not being the #1 option anymore because you suck? c'mon now...how old are we?

jimbobjarree
03-25-2009, 08:27 AM
yeah but when TMac cried all the 'Jazzholes' were celebrating a great series win, which would have hurt even more for you guys, and TMac crying made it all the more sweeter...when AK cried it really didnt factor that much in anything, nor did anyone see it.