PDA

View Full Version : Blake Griffin

Cavs_Fan24
03-22-2009, 12:59 PM
For a guy 6'10 245lbs this guy isn't only the best player in the NCAA, but he has some hops!! It seems like every time I watch ESPN he's had another sick in-game dunk.

Does anyone see him possibly being in the dunk contest next year?

blujaysrock
03-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Probably not in the dunk contest next year, but yah he's got some sicks hops, I seen him dunk through a triple team :speechless:

Hustla23
03-22-2009, 01:08 PM
It's too bad he doesn't block shots or play defense.

_Sn1P3r_
03-22-2009, 01:09 PM
He had a nice game yesterday. 33 and 17.

Knuckles
03-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Isn't he only a soph? Has he said he's entering the draft?

eric1501
03-22-2009, 01:31 PM
Isn't he only a soph? Has he said he's entering the draft?

LOL!!! You have got to be kidding right? The guarnteed #1 Overall Pick might not enter the draft? Imagine him going to the Thunder.

PG Westbrook
SG Green
SF Durant
PF Griffin

They would be a C away from being the youngest and scariest team in the League hands down.

Cavs_Fan24
03-22-2009, 01:42 PM
^Nick Collison would be their center, but still... they'd be pretty scary.

cantstopthee
03-22-2009, 01:42 PM
yeah uf the thunder got him,it would be over

North Yorker
03-22-2009, 01:52 PM
LOL!!! You have got to be kidding right? The guarnteed #1 Overall Pick might not enter the draft? Imagine him going to the Thunder.

PG Westbrook
SG Green
SF Durant
PF Griffin

They would be a C away from being the youngest and scariest team in the League hands down.

OR imagine if the Chandler trade went through...

PG Westbrook
SG Green
SF Durant
PF Griffin
C Chandler

Great defense with Chandler and Westbrook(Green might be too, dont watch the Thunder much though), scoring with both finese and power(Durant and Griffen). May not be deep but that team looks like the makings of a sure dynasty along with Portland if Oden pans out.

Cavs_Fan24
03-22-2009, 02:18 PM
^If they got Griffin, and the Chandler deal went through, nobody could talk **** about OKC no more.

Soto>Norris
03-22-2009, 02:24 PM
of course he as hops. the first time i ever heard about him was like two or three years ago in high school. pretty sure he won the mcdonalds dunk contest that year.

DreamShaker
03-22-2009, 02:36 PM
To the original poster....if he isn't the best player in college basketball who is??

sep11ie
03-22-2009, 02:52 PM
I heard it's actually his twin thats really great and he's just giving Blake the credit.

DerekRE_3
03-22-2009, 03:15 PM
To the original poster....if he isn't the best player in college basketball who is??

Dick Vitale would probably tell you Tyler Hansborough, but the best college basketball player is this guy:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=23355

scottie
03-22-2009, 03:30 PM
yeah uf the thunder got him,it would be over

stop being silly...the guy looks like michael beasley...he's a great pro...LOL

jimbobjarree
03-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Dick Vitale would probably tell you Tyler Hansborough, but the best college basketball player is this guy:

correct derek

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-22-2009, 03:43 PM
He definitely has some good attributes.

t-mac1nukka
03-22-2009, 03:48 PM

the original poster said he was the best college player. i think you misunderstood.

dre1990
03-22-2009, 04:20 PM
He's very good, but needs to play better D. Also, I think He would strugle at PF at The NBA

Kyle N.
03-22-2009, 04:23 PM
He definitely has some good attributes.

Ha ha, love the sig.

Beastie Beastie Beastie Beastie Boys gettin live on the spot putting all kinds of shame in that game you got
We keep the party movin to the broad daylight
G.E.T.L.I.V.E alright!

Anyway, yeah. Blake Griffin is a beast. He's a beast!

jrilla1210
03-22-2009, 04:30 PM
Yeah if he's reall 6'10'', he's probably more like 6'7 or 6'8'' and how does his game translate to the pro game. He sticks zero defense and has no post moves. Another David Lee without the shot blocking or the 18 footer

DreamShaker
03-22-2009, 07:57 PM

:laugh:

DreamShaker
03-22-2009, 07:59 PM
the original poster said he was the best college player. i think you misunderstood.

Yeah I just re-read it. I could have sworn the "only" part wasn't there when I read it last time.

JJ81
03-22-2009, 08:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESc7eK-I5mU

JayW_1023
03-22-2009, 08:09 PM
He's good but his defense is highly overrated.

Hawkeye15
03-22-2009, 08:26 PM
I think Griffin will be a good NBA player. But, he is listed at 6'10". That means he will be around 6'8", tops. He doesn't have long arms. He doesn't play defense. What everyone is seeing is a very good player killing NCAA while the talent level is pathetic. There was no freshman class really, and college basketball is not what it was. Here is you're example. Griffin was a frosh last year. Beasley and Love destroyed him number wise. If those 2 decided to stick around, Griffin wouldn't even be mentioned as NCAA player of the year.

JayW_1023
03-23-2009, 05:32 AM
I hate how the size of players in the NCAA get blown out of proportion to increase draft stock.

Michael Beasley has been drafted as a four while he is clearly a three.

BTownTeamsRKing
03-23-2009, 07:27 AM
not an NBA prototype. he seems like a more explosive ty thomas. can dunk and block and rebound, but cannot shoot at all. 1st overall pick? no way.

i would take Dajaun Blair over him in the NBA any day.

conway429
03-23-2009, 07:27 AM

hahahah, that name is badass... says he put up 11 blocks one game.

conway429
03-23-2009, 07:31 AM
not an NBA prototype. he seems like a more explosive ty thomas. can dunk and block and rebound, but cannot shoot at all. 1st overall pick? no way.

i would take Dajaun Blair over him in the NBA any day.

Really? Pitt's my favorite school, and Blair's the man, but I think he's too short to really dominate the NBA... I might even take Sam Young over Blair.

BTownTeamsRKing
03-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Really? Pitt's my favorite school, and Blair's the man, but I think he's too short to really dominate the NBA... I might even take Sam Young over Blair.

il admit im a lil biased bc the first time i watched blair when he was a freshman, i said to everyone around me, one day this guy is gonna be a superstar. his game is solid. hes got a great talent for inside scoring. he is relentless. his rebounding is unstoppable. and his defense, well how would u feel fighting for position with this guy? ha

i think he proved height doesnt mean much when he owned UConn tower Thabeet.

on nbadraft.net they got Blair going like 32nd overall. i think thats a MAJOR steal. look at glen davis on the Celtics taken around that time. this is off-topic, but i believe the same for Johny Flynn of Syracuse.

JayW_1023
03-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Blair carrying 7'3 Thabeet on his back over a rebound was kind of funny to watch.

ToRoNtObAlLa
03-23-2009, 09:10 AM
He may not have the eyesight for dimes but this athlete has the potential to be LIKE a LeBron. The reason being, he's huge and quick with mad hops, he just needs to elevate his game even more in the NBA to impress and make people believe in him.

BTownTeamsRKing
03-23-2009, 09:30 AM
He may not have the eyesight for dimes but this athlete has the potential to be LIKE a LeBron. The reason being, he's huge and quick with mad hops, he just needs to elevate his game even more in the NBA to impress and make people believe in him.

possibly, but Griffin doesn't by any means have the ball handling or the quickness of Lebron. i see the comparison though. but i mean, think of this...what is separating Griffin from being Tyrus Thomas? How much better is Griffin than athletic guys like Bill Walker, Stromile Swift, Darius Miles? Will Griffin play the 4 as his main position? in my opinion, this guy is just not very differentiated from other players on the NBA level.

Chi-Town Finest
03-23-2009, 10:00 AM
possibly, but Griffin doesn't by any means have the ball handling or the quickness of Lebron. i see the comparison though. but i mean, think of this...what is separating Griffin from being Tyrus Thomas? How much better is Griffin than athletic guys like Bill Walker, Stromile Swift, Darius Miles? Will Griffin play the 4 as his main position? in my opinion, this guy is just not very differentiated from other players on the NBA level.
The thing that separates Griffin from Ty Thomas is basketball IQ. Thomas does not know what to do half the time when he gets the ball and when Griffin has it he will score or find not just the open man but the correct one. He also is more physical and stronger than TT. As far as his position, he will play the 4, he is not 6''10 but will not be that far off in shoes and if guys like Brand and Haslem can play the 4, i'm sure he can. I don't see how anyone can compare him to LeBron cause like you said his ballhandling is not quite as good as his but a Wlker, Swift or Miles he will not be.

BTownTeamsRKing
03-23-2009, 11:20 AM
The thing that separates Griffin from Ty Thomas is basketball IQ. Thomas does not know what to do half the time when he gets the ball and when Griffin has it he will score or find not just the open man but the correct one. He also is more physical and stronger than TT. As far as his position, he will play the 4, he is not 6''10 but will not be that far off in shoes and if guys like Brand and Haslem can play the 4, i'm sure he can. I don't see how anyone can compare him to LeBron cause like you said his ballhandling is not quite as good as his but a Wlker, Swift or Miles he will not be.

very good argument.

Ill agree that a big plus that I missed was his basketball IQ. def a plus.
I think he has to play the four.

Heres where the Lebron comparison begins, he is oversized, but also superathletic for others at his position. How many 3's match up to lebron? not many. how many 4's can handle Griffin in college? none from what I have seen. Basically he is seen as a guy who just overpowers the smaller player to score. Which is fine until he hits the NBA and is fighting for position with someone just as big and athletic.

So it comes down to this, what can he do outside of using his athleticism to score? if he can use his basketball IQ effecively, then he could be a star, but at this point I personally would not select him as the top pick. i think the top pick should be a sure thing, and to me he is not a sure thing. btw i have big criticisms of some of the last few #1 overalls, Bogut, Barganani etc...

the #1 overall pick is supposed to be the face and soul of your franchise, not a role player, not a good starter, not a few time all star, a player that will define your franchise for years.

theuuord
03-23-2009, 12:47 PM

PG Westbrook
SG Green
SF Durant
PF Griffin

They're 20-50 right now. Adding Blake Griffin won't make them a playoff team overnight.
Give that team like three years though, and a better C..... definitely scary.

what54!?
03-23-2009, 12:49 PM
He may not have the eyesight for dimes but this athlete has the potential to be LIKE a LeBron. The reason being, he's huge and quick with mad hops, he just needs to elevate his game even more in the NBA to impress and make people believe in him.he won't a be lebron. Thats a bad comparison. Thats like saying tyrus thomas is like a lebron because he's huge, quick and can jump. He could be like a carlos boozer type

what54!?
03-23-2009, 12:51 PM
very good argument.

Heres where the Lebron comparison begins, he is oversized, but also superathletic for others at his position. How many 3's match up to lebron? not many. how many 4's can handle Griffin in college? none from what I have seen. Basically he is seen as a guy who just overpowers the smaller player to score. Which is fine until he hits the NBA and is fighting for position with someone just as big and athletic.

So it comes down to this, what can he do outside of using his athleticism to score? if he can use his basketball IQ effecively, then he could be a star, but at this point I personally would not select him as the top pick. i think the top pick should be a sure thing, and to me he is not a sure thing. btw i have big criticisms of some of the last few #1 overalls, Bogut, Barganani etc...

the #1 overall pick is supposed to be the face and soul of your franchise, not a role player, not a good starter, not a few time all star, a player that will define your franchise for years.
not necessarily if you already have a franchise player. Look at portland with greg oden and brandon roy. Thats only if your team doesn't have a franchise player

theuuord
03-23-2009, 12:54 PM
not necessarily if you already have a franchise player. Look at portland with greg oden and brandon roy. Thats only if your team doesn't have a franchise player

exactly. Or in a weak draft like this one. Not every draft produces a player of that caliber.

Chi-Town Finest
03-23-2009, 02:37 PM
very good argument.

Ahh, I see. You are comparing his talents at his position in college as LeBron's to the pros. Well I get that but when LeBron first came in the league, he didnt have all the moves and the jumphot that he has now so I believe with the right coaching he can improve his already decent back to the basket game. He has good footwork and soft hands so scoring around the basket should not be as much of a challenge as some might think given he already has nba size and strength. As far as being the # 1 overall pick, you have to take the absolute best available talent and there are not always a franchise player in every draft evident in 200 where Michael Redd was the best player in that draft at #46 and Kenyon Martin was the first pick.

BTownTeamsRKing
03-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Ahh, I see. You are comparing his talents at his position in college as LeBron's to the pros. Well I get that but when LeBron first came in the league, he didnt have all the moves and the jumphot that he has now so I believe with the right coaching he can improve his already decent back to the basket game. He has good footwork and soft hands so scoring around the basket should not be as much of a challenge as some might think given he already has nba size and strength. As far as being the # 1 overall pick, you have to take the absolute best available talent and there are not always a franchise player in every draft evident in 200 where Michael Redd was the best player in that draft at #46 and Kenyon Martin was the first pick.

so i think we are in agreement. he is good, but def will need to improve to become a real superstar. Do you think he is the best talent available? he might be because there isnt much competition this year.

i guess im analyzing this as if i had the 1st pick. i want a sure thing or close it. if that superstar isnt there at that pick, then i would trade and get value. theres always someteam that wants certain guys.

Don Starks
03-23-2009, 08:08 PM
I have to ask though, do you guys think Griffin talks a lot of *****, cause this entire season i have seen people give him low blows, elbows and i think someone posted the video of him getting flipped before. you think people target him cause hes the best, or is it because he runs his mouth.

the flip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNwcw21NAdU
hit in the balls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxTsDzD_nvs

Chi-Town Finest
03-23-2009, 10:16 PM
so i think we are in agreement. he is good, but def will need to improve to become a real superstar. Do you think he is the best talent available? he might be because there isnt much competition this year.

i guess im analyzing this as if i had the 1st pick. i want a sure thing or close it. if that superstar isnt there at that pick, then i would trade and get value. theres always someteam that wants certain guys.
Yeah, we are in total agreement and I do think he is the best available talent this year. I also agree that if I had the first pick this year, unless I had a dire need for a four then I would field all offers in what is being called a very weak draft although Griffin would be hard to pass up.

Chi-Town Finest
03-23-2009, 10:18 PM
I have to ask though, do you guys think Griffin talks a lot of *****, cause this entire season i have seen people give him low blows, elbows and i think someone posted the video of him getting flipped before. you think people target him cause hes the best, or is it because he runs his mouth.

the flip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNwcw21NAdU
hit in the balls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxTsDzD_nvs
I think he is being targeted to try to throw him off his game because he is so physical and causes a lot of problems. I havent heard of any incidents where he was a trash talker. If anything they are trying to label him as soft which I totally disagree on.

D_Rose1118
03-23-2009, 10:46 PM
where would griffin be drafted if rose, mayo, westbrook, beasley,love,bayless, and lopez stayed i say 4th

Chi-Town Finest
03-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Hard to say cause last year most mocks had him in the 7 to 10 range and there is no telling how much this years class would have helped or hurt their stock by staying.

EddieB
03-23-2009, 11:14 PM
It will be a shame when Syracuse bumps him out next friday

MickeyMgl
03-23-2009, 11:44 PM
^If they got Griffin, and the Chandler deal went through, nobody could talk **** about OKC no more.

Yeah they could. They're still a stolen team owned by dirty-dealing scam artists that don't deserve to win an exhibition game, let alone a playoff game.

theuuord
03-23-2009, 11:52 PM
Yeah they could. They're still a stolen team owned by dirty-dealing scam artists that don't deserve to win an exhibition game, let alone a playoff game.

hey dude, been to the space needle lately?

abe_froman
03-23-2009, 11:57 PM
where would griffin be drafted if rose, mayo, westbrook, beasley,love,bayless, and lopez stayed i say 4th

further back,mid-late lotto most likely.no way in hell he'd go 4th in that class,who would he bump??

agnine
03-24-2009, 04:45 PM
if they were all coming out of college with last ears stats, Griffen would be 2nd to Rose, strictly on size. You don't have to be 6'9" and above to be an adequate or dominating PF. Skill and strength are more important, i.e; Barkley, Brand, Boozer, Haslem, KMart (I think he's 6'8")

Cassidy28
03-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Kid can jump and flat out play!!