PDA

View Full Version : Strasburg to go for 5/60MM!!!

Ron!n
03-21-2009, 02:46 PM
ESPN.com's Peter Gammons heard from some club officials that top amateur pitcher Stephen Strasburg and his agent, Scott Boras, could demand $50MM over six years if he's selected first overall by the Nationals in the June draft. If the Nationals pick Strasburg and seem unwilling to pay him as much as he wants, Boras could threaten to send the prospect to pitch in Japan for a year. If the Nats are scared off, the Mariners and Padres are next in line for Strasburg.
So how could an amateur player get away with these lofty demands? Strasburg has struck out 74 and walked only seven in the 34.1 innings he's pitched for San Diego State and scouts rave about his stuff.
Via MLBTR. Its an insider piece so i cant read it.
But thats a huge contract should really help him fall down a couple of positions, too bad he cant fall down 32 times. :sigh:

ThisIsTheYear
03-21-2009, 02:48 PM
Figures...

bmac650
03-21-2009, 03:02 PM
slide to the giants hehe

sacgiants1213
03-21-2009, 03:03 PM
another boras client demanding a **** load of money... go figure.

North Yorker
03-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the NFL and MLB should have slotted salaries for players in the draft, like the NBA does.

The teams that actually need the top young talent arent able to afford it and then the player falls to a bigger market team(Porcello for example). The draft is suppesed to help the weak right? Not reward the rich teams with top prospects looking for big $$$.

yahmez88
03-21-2009, 03:09 PM
works for hockey too having an entry level contract maximum would be a good idea

Towelie
03-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Nationals need to do it....I ****ing hate Boras so much.

torontocubs
03-21-2009, 03:16 PM
I think a maximum entry level would be logical, the only thing is for those mentioning the NBA and the NHL, you are looking at a far lower salary cap than the NFL, and none in MLB. Their should be an exception for entry level, its not a fluke and amazing scouting that guys like Joba and Ellsbury wind up at high twenty draft picks. Just how the league works until someone changes it.

LADanks
03-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Classic Boras tactic.... make obscene demands right out of the gate to change the standards of what too much money is. Asking for 50M over six years makes 40M seem almost not insane, although it would still be ridiculous and unprecedented.

beantownboy
03-21-2009, 03:20 PM
i read up on this kid awhile ago. they (scouts) say he could be a starter right now for any ball club in the majors and do very well. its too bad for the league this kid has scott boras whispering in his ear but good for him he has scott boras whispering in his ear $$$$.

NYK|NYY
03-21-2009, 03:20 PM
Wow no one is going to pay him that. Just in case they should input slotted salaries before the draft..

davg31
03-21-2009, 03:29 PM
Turning in2 the nfl. This is a joke. Every owner should secretly decide to not sign him. Will screw over Boras

Reevo
03-21-2009, 03:32 PM
I hope no one is this stupid. Spend money on a guy who all the scouts "think" could be in the majors right now. Wow, so he throws hard and strikes out a lot of college hitters. How does that translate into success in big leagues again? I want this arrogant kid to come to the big leagues just so I can laugh at the team that spends all that money for a guy who gets shelled while trying to figure out major league hitters.

Sabres39
03-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Good Boras, keep on talking up his contract demands. All I need is another Type A free agent to be signed before the draft, so the Yankees can draft in front of the Red Sox, and he can fall to us.:) I know it won't happen, but I can pray, right?

Matt-the-great
03-21-2009, 03:42 PM
ths system is terribly flawed if we accept this type of foolery. how is this supposed to help a struggling team?

saddening....

TNA110990
03-21-2009, 03:44 PM
Man this is exactly what we don't need. Scott Boras making some kid believe he's worth 50M coming outta college. This is gonna turn out like the NFL draft if Boras gets his way. The Nats needs to get Strasburg b/c they have no great SP coming up & he would be their guy. Man Boras is such a dick head. He is making this sport all about money than with the game. I mean A-Rod, Manny, etc. dude is screwing MLB teams over soo much it's not even funny.

Ron!n
03-21-2009, 04:02 PM
If hes getting around 10 Million per season without pitching a single game, whats the contract going to look like when he hits Free Agency?

YanksNats1987
03-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Just great. That's a heck of a lot of money.

Nats gotta do it though.

bosox3431
03-21-2009, 04:23 PM
let the kid go to Japan, and then when he goes over there and sucks it up big time, Boras will look like a huge ***

Osiagledknarf
03-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Am I the only one that thinks the NFL and MLB should have slotted salaries for players in the draft, like the NBA does.

The teams that actually need the top young talent arent able to afford it and then the player falls to a bigger market team(Porcello for example). The draft is suppesed to help the weak right? Not reward the rich teams with top prospects looking for big $$$.

I think a maximum entry level would be logical, the only thing is for those mentioning the NBA and the NHL, you are looking at a far lower salary cap than the NFL, and none in MLB. Their should be an exception for entry level, its not a fluke and amazing scouting that guys like Joba and Ellsbury wind up at high twenty draft picks. Just how the league works until someone changes it.

I'm with you guys. I think maximum salary slots for draftees not only makes sense, but is absolutely necessary to prevent MLB from being hijacked by agents anymore than it already has been. There is absolutely no reason for a kid out of college to be making that kind of money. He has ZERO service time. He hasn't thrown a single pitch at any pofessional level. Contract values should be based both on talent AND service time.

I understand the argument that a player should be payed in relation to how much money he makes for the club. It's an important argument too. But service time needs to be a factor as well. It's a simple totem pope dynamic for me. When you get drafted, you're the low man on the totem pole. You have to earn your free agency, then you can ask for whatever obscene amount you want. It's only 6 years of MLB service time to qualify for free agency, and if this kid is so amazing it shouldn't be a problem for him. He's so great? Awesome...prove it at the MLB level, and EARN your money justifiably.

Set up a standard descending pay grade for draftees, where the number one overall draft pick can be signed to a certain maximum amount. The lower the draft pick and round, the lower your maximum potential contract value. Keep it within attainable limits for the low market/low performing teams, and bring some humility back to a game that needs to come back to earth a bit. Enough is enough.

This whole situation is sad. Boras is a douche. I don't blame him for doing his job, but this is a new level of arrogance. This is going to be Pedro Alvarez 2.0. Sucks.

Tragedy
03-21-2009, 05:27 PM
ths system is terribly flawed if we accept this type of foolery. how is this supposed to help a struggling team?

saddening....
Exactly....

Some say that he "could" step in and pitch at the majors next year, but who the hell knows? The Red Sox drafted Craig Hansen and believed he could be a legit reliever at the major league level the same year. How'd that work out? It's all heresay and assumptions, it's silly.

He will not get this much money. If he does, I've got zero faith in MLB.

In any event, the economy is in the pooper. Dunn signed for far less than he's worth, as did many guys this offseason. This kid isn't getting that much money when he's done nothing to show me he's deserved it.

Havoc Wreaker
03-21-2009, 05:47 PM
I hope no one is this stupid. Spend money on a guy who all the scouts "think" could be in the majors right now. Wow, so he throws hard and strikes out a lot of college hitters. How does that translate into success in big leagues again? I want this arrogant kid to come to the big leagues just so I can laugh at the team that spends all that money for a guy who gets shelled while trying to figure out major league hitters.

let the kid go to Japan, and then when he goes over there and sucks it up big time, Boras will look like a huge ***

Or let him go to Japan and watch him throw out his elbow or shoulder in his 5th game :D

kyubi256
03-21-2009, 05:51 PM
wow 5/60...

the rich teams will have fun with this :)

brendol
03-21-2009, 06:02 PM
well, he probably is the greatest prospect ever. he throws 100 consistently and has all plus pitchers... one scout said he's better than AJ burnett right now.

he could be damn good trade bait if the nats dont want to keep the big contract.

brentn2n
03-21-2009, 06:15 PM
boras is lame

giantspwn
03-21-2009, 06:17 PM
There's no way in hell he's getting that obscene amount of money. No doubt he's going to get paid but it should only be about a quarter of that.

Stellar prospects shouldn't finnancially cripple your team.

The league should collaborate together against Scoot Boras like their doing with Bonds.

iam brett favre
03-21-2009, 06:22 PM
like i said a while ago..nats wont sign him, he'll go to yanks

Zaunnie
03-21-2009, 06:25 PM
why isnt scott boras banned from baseball?

Giants-49ers-Ws
03-21-2009, 06:33 PM
ridiculous...he's going to be very good...but thats obscene..i bet he'd take less to play for the Pads cuz he'd be in san diego

kyubi256
03-21-2009, 06:51 PM
like i said a while ago..nats wont sign him, he'll go to yanks

he'd drop all the way down to the Yankees? Wow...

brendol
03-21-2009, 07:01 PM
There's no way in hell he's getting that obscene amount of money. No doubt he's going to get paid but it should only be about a quarter of that.

Stellar prospects shouldn't finnancially cripple your team.

The league should collaborate together against Scoot Boras like their doing with Bonds.

because thats legal...

RaysFan
03-21-2009, 07:54 PM
I don't see him on any other team except for the Yankees if he is really going to go down this road. He is a great prospect but man....who in their right mind would give him $50 million? You are talking about a MLB contract for a guy that probably won't be in your rotation for a year or 2...then we have to see how good he actually is.

Jimmy Shine
03-21-2009, 08:39 PM
Hasnt Boras said recently how circumstances were to blame for the miscalculation of the Manny market, that he couldnt have possibly seen the economic downturn coming?

Isnt he making the same mistake here? Whats gonna be his excuse this time?

NatSkinCapWiz
03-21-2009, 08:54 PM

you are a very smart man... it's too bad people like us aren't put in charge of such a wack baseball league...

Manatoo
03-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Doubt any team even the heavy spenders will pay 60m for a prospect, no matter how good he looks to be.

VenezuelanMet
03-21-2009, 09:44 PM
I dislike Boras as much as the next guy but you can't really blame him. He's just taking advantage of a flawed system.

penuch
03-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Not gonna happen. Have fun in Japan.... Sorry but all the talent in the world and speculations doesn't mean a thing... J.D Drew was suppose to be the next Joe Dimaggio while a good hitter Joe he is not! I dont care how much talent you have until you prove it in the bigs you don't deserve that kind of deal.... Normally I disagree when people say it, but Boras$ is bad for the game. How can bad teams get better when they can't even sign top level draft picks.

Cubs Win
03-21-2009, 11:29 PM
I've heard some really good stuff about this kid, but is he THAT good? Like someone posted that he may be the greatest pitching prospect ever, anyone have an article or anything on this kid?

WoodyGuthrie87
03-21-2009, 11:33 PM
1. I looked up his stats, he's pitched over 100 innings for San Diego State and has struck out 180.

2. There's absolutely no way any major league team will pay that for an amateur pitcher. This is why people hate Boras. He asks for these outrageous demands as a negotiating tactic so he can later come back and ask for $5 million a year (still outrageous) and make it seem like the team won the negotiations.

TheShock45
03-22-2009, 12:12 AM
this just leads us back to tex , now boras knows the nats need an ace and
no1 will sign with them so he able to dangle an ace in the draft in front of them for almost 10 mill a year

Tragedy
03-22-2009, 12:45 AM
because thats legal...
Even if it's not, it's difficult to prove.

djeller1139
03-22-2009, 02:14 AM
Maybe he'll fall to the Giants :D

In all seriousness, Boras is a prick and that is completely ridiculous for a player whose never even played MLB...

ntat
03-22-2009, 07:14 AM
thats Boras for u, the ****in scum of the earth that dude is. While I have heard this kid is as legit as they come, make him earn something first. IM tired of rookies getting handed money without deserving jack.

vick27m
03-22-2009, 09:55 AM
no one will give him that much out of the gate. thats crazy

MetsNats1969
03-22-2009, 10:36 AM
Outrageous, but not surprising. Boras is a cancer, but not like a cancer that kills right away. He's more like a debilitating disease that sucks the life out of a person over time, and causes pain for the patient, strains the family financially, and throws the system out of whack.

Yes, there should be slotted salaries like in the NFL.

A lot of the money should be incentive based. How quickly he pitches in the majors, stats, attendance clauses, etc.

The Nats should explore sign-and-trade options with other clubs.

Zaunnie
03-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Outrageous, but not surprising. Boras is a cancer, but not like a cancer that kills right away. He's more like a debilitating disease that sucks the life out of a person over time, and causes pain for the patient, strains the family financially, and throws the system out of whack.

If Scott Boras is a cancer, to get rid of him we need to get the....what cures cancer?

cubswoo
03-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Japan doesn't pay their players anywhere near that amount of money. The top salaries are around $2 million. I'd call Boras's bluff on this one.

MetsNats1969
03-22-2009, 11:07 AM
If Scott Boras is a cancer, to get rid of him we need to get the....what cures cancer?

The sad truth is nothing cures cancer. You survive cancer, but once you've had it statistically speaking you are always at risk of recurrence.

There's chemo, radiation, and cutting open the patient -- but not always successful.

So think of Boras at draft time and during the free agency periods as a recurrence of the same disease.

-Lavigne43-
03-22-2009, 11:16 AM
That's just ********. Someone in the top picks will still pick him though since if they can't sign him to a reasonable contract they will be compensated with a pick next year

MetsNats1969
03-22-2009, 11:27 AM
Right...the Nats did that last year with Aaron Crow. He's now eligible to be drafted again (as is considered still a top-10 pick) and the Nats get a compensation pick at number 10 -- in addition to the Number 1 pick.

sexicano31
03-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Hope this is true because i dont want to see this guy in the nl east.

NYK|NYY
03-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Teams aren't shelling out this type of money to proven, good players. Theres no way they get what they are looking for, maybe like a 10m signing bonus.

Tragedy
03-22-2009, 12:50 PM
Teams aren't shelling out this type of money to proven, good players. Theres no way they get what they are looking for, maybe like a 10m signing bonus.
Exactly, and this is what ends the conversation. If major league talents that we KNOW can do it at The Show aren't getting the contracts they thought they could in this economy, then how in the hell does anyone believe that Boras can fetch this type of contract out of the NATIONALS? Not a chance.

whitesoxfan83
03-22-2009, 01:26 PM
Yea right hes going to get more money than Adam Dunn to sit in the minors for a season or two?

This prospect loving has gotten out of control.

Fred
03-22-2009, 02:12 PM
I hate that the process is that these draft picks can say "no" and sit out and go in the next draft...the team that drafts them should own their rights until they sign them, otherwise, they earn the right to draft early, but lose that right if the player sits out and/or has unrealistic demands....being a Phils fan, I think of the JD Drew scenario...I will always loathe that creep....that should not be allowed....someone mentioned that there should be some type of scale...I say AMEN to that....

CAIN=FUTURE
03-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Maybe he'll fall to the Giants, thats how we got Posey.