PDA

View Full Version : Is Lebron James too full of himself?

pd7631
03-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Ok before I get bashed I would like to preface my comments on this subject by saying that I have zero issue with Lebron James the player. The guy is a flat out superstar(everybody knows it). He can do it all and I would trade everybody on the Sixers and their 1st round picks for the next 10 years to have Lebron on the team.

Now.....

My issue with Lebron stems from a few things:

1.) The constant talk of 2010...he's one of very few players that I can ever remember talking about going to a new team 2 years before he can even do so. What he should be saying is that he's not gonna talk about 2010 because he has to focus on his team and nothing else. Some players could not get away with discussing leaving their team because their teammates could feel resentment towards a player talking about leaving the team.

2.) In post-game interviews he often boasts about how he is a great player. This isn't really a huge deal, but I would like to see the guy be a little bit more humble.

3.) The guy is a copy-cat.....straight up. It started with picking the number 23, then it was throwing the powder in the air like KG, and most recently it was taking half-court shots in pre-game just like Dwight Howard.

These were thoughts that were running through my head for awhile and I just felt like venting a little bit and seeing if anybody shared my feelings or had a different view of the way Lebron conducts himself....good or bad.

madiaz3
03-20-2009, 01:05 PM
I kind of agree overall, but I kinda doubt Dwight Howard was the first to try half court shots during pre-game.

sp1derm00
03-20-2009, 01:07 PM
If he were any less of a player, he would be full of himself, but dude can back it up with his play.

He's the most VALUABLE player in the NBA in that with his youth and his talent, he can command the most talent.

I sometimes don't like it when a player tries to be too humble. Lebron shouldn't be humble, there are only like 2 or 3 other players in the league that can even match up to him.

still1ballin
03-20-2009, 01:10 PM
Now before every game, him and his team mates pose for pictures while LeBron is taking photos of them like if its a photoshoot. That gets on my nerves, they are cocky and full of themselves.

Mr Wonderful
03-20-2009, 01:11 PM
I’ll call it supreme confidence…but that can be attributed to his age, and relative dominance so far. The athletes today are younger, stronger, and face MUCH more pressure than before. So in a sense, he was built for this…can’t really fault him for living up to it.

He'll calm it down if he goes a few more years without winning a title.

pd7631
03-20-2009, 01:12 PM
I kind of agree overall, but I kinda doubt Dwight Howard was the first to try half court shots during pre-game.

yeah you're right about that, but Dwight was all over sportscenter takin the half-court shots and then the next night Lebron started doin it....

ink
03-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Now before every game, him and his team mates pose for pictures while LeBron is taking photos of them like if its a photoshoot. That gets on my nerves, they are cocky and full of themselves.

+1

I like Lebron as a player, but all this other crap is becoming ridiculous. Can you imagine Jordan or Magic or Patrick Ewing doing **** like that? It's turning into the cheezy stunts league -- phonebooths, capes, Lebron and his air-camera ... pretty lame stuff.

prodigy
03-20-2009, 01:17 PM
1.) The constant talk of 2010...he's one of very few players that I can ever remember talking about going to a new team 2 years before he can even do so. What he should be saying is that he's not gonna talk about 2010 because he has to focus on his team and nothing else. Some players could not get away with discussing leaving their team because their teammates could feel resentment towards a player talking about leaving the team.

2.) In post-game interviews he often boasts about how he is a great player. This isn't really a huge deal, but I would like to see the guy be a little bit more humble.

3.) The guy is a copy-cat.....straight up. It started with picking the number 23, then it was throwing the powder in the air like KG, and most recently it was taking half-court shots in pre-game just like Dwight Howard.

1. Thats what he's been doing.

2. As a cavs fan who watched every single game, and been to all home games, I have not seen lebron talk about how great he is. Now people will ask him a question like last night where lebron answered- ''I do whatever it takes for my team to win, if thats greatness then i'll accept it.'' Something along that line. Which he was just answering a question.

3. A.) How do you know he picked the #23 for MJ? mybe a family member or friend dead at that age. So don't jump to conclusions. Even if he did SO WHAT!!! big Z is my fav player and I use the Number 11 every chance I get.

B.) KG stole the powder thing from MJ just to let you know. Plus lebron Does it a completly different way. He takes it more extreme.

C.) Howard was the first guy to ever shoot the ball from half court? Lebron made 5-6 of thoses in games man. Plus his rookie season He made a commical doing that. So Know your facts before you say this crap.

Frankiest
03-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Lebron is the one of the best players ever and he knows it. When you ar this good and win like he does i dont care what he says. His temates like him, he wins games and he doesnt have off the court issues so i can deal with the other things.

Frezhnitz
03-20-2009, 01:22 PM
LOL Lebron needs to stop doing those ridicilous things. Its basketball, not a circus.

Chronz
03-20-2009, 01:27 PM
+1

I like Lebron as a player, but all this other crap is becoming ridiculous. Can you imagine Jordan or Magic or Patrick Ewing doing **** like that? It's turning into the cheezy stunts league -- phonebooths, capes, Lebron and his air-camera ... pretty lame stuff.
MJ rocking the gold chain in the slam dunk was pretty cheezy, and yes I can imagine Magic doing alot of these things if he were in the NBA today.

lakersrock
03-20-2009, 01:27 PM
Does the sky have clouds? Is water good for you? Do birds fly? Is Kobe the best?

:D

In other words, yes.

brazilianblur
03-20-2009, 01:28 PM
When his cockiness really caught my attention was in a post game interview when the cavs played at the suns. Jason richardson tried a 360 dunk and LeBron clearly smacked him on the wrist and did not get any ball. There was no call. After the game he was asked about the "block" and he replied with something along the lines of " It was a great play and I got all ball". I like it when players admit when they were wrong and he would be a more likable player if he replied with staments like "There was no call so I'll take it". Maybe thats being a little picky and just being an upset Suns fan, but it clearly was a foul.

Free Throw
03-20-2009, 01:33 PM
+1

Regarding the Lebron camera thing.. It's really not a lot different than all the fist bumps, hand shakes, and other weird things players do together before games. I guess it doesn't bother me as much being a Cavs fan, but I wouldn't care if Kobe or the Celtics did something like that at all really. I mean, KG bashes his head into a post before the game for goodness sakes. :p

pd7631
03-20-2009, 01:37 PM
I will say that the camera posing before the game is something that Lebron does that I really like. It's original, funny, and he gets everyone involved, so that goes as a positive for Lebron as far as I'm concerned

pd7631
03-20-2009, 01:38 PM
can a mod add a poll to this thread?

Question: Is Lebron too full of himself?

answers: Yes he is..............No he isn't

Mr Wonderful
03-20-2009, 01:41 PM

2. As a cavs fan who watched every single game, and been to all home games, I have not seen lebron talk about how great he is. Now people will ask him a question like last night where lebron answered- ''I do whatever it takes for my team to win, if thats greatness then i'll accept it.'' Something along that line. Which he was just answering a question.

3. A.) How do you know he picked the #23 for MJ? mybe a family member or friend dead at that age. So don't jump to conclusions. Even if he did SO WHAT!!! big Z is my fav player and I use the Number 11 every chance I get.

B.) KG stole the powder thing from MJ just to let you know. Plus lebron Does it a completly different way. He takes it more extreme.

C.) Howard was the first guy to ever shoot the ball from half court? Lebron made 5-6 of thoses in games man. Plus his rookie season He made a commical doing that. So Know your facts before you say this crap.

Clearly you are a homer...he DID in fact wear 23 and 9 because of Jordan.

Gro_Da_Fro_Back
03-20-2009, 01:43 PM

3. A.) How do you know he picked the #23 for MJ? mybe a family member or friend dead at that age. So don't jump to conclusions. Even if he did SO WHAT!!! big Z is my fav player and I use the Number 11 every. chance I get.

You said that maybe his friend died at age 23??? This is the NBA!, every player wants to use MJs number, almost everyone in the league looks up to him....besides, you are a Big CAVS fan right??, so then you should know Lebron said he chose that number because his role model wore it... Maybe your the one who needs to check their stuff next time.

ink
03-20-2009, 01:48 PM
I will say that the camera posing before the game is something that Lebron does that I really like. It's original, funny, and he gets everyone involved, so that goes as a positive for Lebron as far as I'm concerned

Sorry but it has nothing to do with basketball and it cheapens the game big time. I'm sick of the cheezy stunts players are bringing into the league. Premeditated stuff makes a joke out of the game.

Knick4Life732
03-20-2009, 01:49 PM
ive been having the same feeling as of late, but the powder thing pisses me off, jordan used to put the powder and clap in front of the dudes at the table, kg,paying homage to M.J., did the same, but instead threw the powder in the air, exactly how LBJ does now, its a clear bite off k.g.

and to me when he talks, it seems like somebody extremely cocky, whos tryin hard not to break and remain "humble" on cam, sort of like hes holding it back

pd7631
03-20-2009, 01:51 PM
Sorry but it has nothing to do with basketball and it cheapens the game big time. I'm sick of the cheezy stunts players are bringing into the league. Premeditated stuff makes a joke out of the game.

fair enough

Magic85
03-20-2009, 01:54 PM
I will have to say the hate this guy gets is ridiculous. I never hear the guy talk about how great he is, the photo thing is just them having fun "pregame". Most of the guys who do the photo thing with him are bench guys who do not really get to play so it gives them some spotlight and shows team unity. Picking the number 23 has nothing to do with trying to be MJ. Jordan was his favorite player, how many guys growing up didn't want to wear the number 23. And big deal he does the powder thing, he said MJ and KG were his favorite players before.

I feel like no one would care if there teams guys did the photo thing. They would think its hilarious like i do. I would love to see my team loose before a game having fun. And i never understood why people get mad because they see him in so many commercials and he gets so much attention. Who cares!! It isn't like he is responsible for the attention he gets other than being a great player. He gets offered the endorsements an other things. Who wouldn't do them, so again its another dumb thing just to hate about.

Bu whatever, you don't have to like the guy but some of the hate he receives is dumb.

MossIsBoss
03-20-2009, 01:54 PM
ESPN is too full of him, that's the problem

ink
03-20-2009, 01:58 PM
I will have to say the hate this guy gets is ridiculous. I never hear the guy talk about how great he is, the photo thing is just them having fun "pregame". Most of the guys who do the photo thing with him are bench guys who do not really get to play so it gives them some spotlight and shows team unity. Picking the number 23 has nothing to do with trying to be MJ. Jordan was his favorite player, how many guys growing up didn't want to wear the number 23. And big deal he does the powder thing, he said MJ and KG were his favorite players before.

I feel like no one would care if there teams guys did the photo thing. They would think its hilarious like i do. I would love to see my team loose before a game having fun. And i never understood why people get mad because they see him in so many commercials and he gets so much attention. Who cares!! It isn't like he is responsible for the attention he gets other than being a great player. He gets offered the endorsements an other things. Who wouldn't do them, so again its another dumb thing just to hate about.

Bu whatever, you don't have to like the guy but some of the hate he receives is dumb.

I don't hate LBJ at all but I think the cornball camera stuff is too much. Yes, I would think the same thing if any player in the L did it. Cut the stunts and "homages" and play ball.

That said, LBJ is a great player, arguably the best in the league. That's enough. He doesn't need the other junk.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Your just a hater, thats not them being full of themselves thats the team chemistry they have together. Its a great sign of unity.

Exactly.

There is nothing wrong with having some fun. They are playing a game, and pretty much everyone that takes part in this are young individuals.

You don't see Joe Smith doing it, or Z. You see all the rookies the 20-27 year old players. Although I think Lorenzen Wright does it haha.

But seriously its just LeBron enjoying himself playing for this team.

Who cares if he is full of himself here and there, does it hurt your feelings? Or are you jealous of the success he is having? The guy is a great player, having confidence is perfectly fine when you win ball games for your team.

rabueed
03-20-2009, 02:01 PM
see, this is why I like the magic more than cleveland and boston in the east, personality wise.

Boston is too serious, talks crap to everyone, and everyone hates them.

Cleveland is too loose, acts like no one should even try to defend them or they should be called for the foul immediately (and no one deny this, how many times have you seen Lebron stare down a player regarding a hard foul or Mike Brown being ejected?), and make a mockery out of the game.

The Magic, on the other hand, have a great team personality and seem to genuinely enjoy the game. They are very respected, i've never seen them get into many altercations with the referee or other players. They let their game do the talking. Dwight Howard seems like the most lovable guy in the NBA, lol. and no one mention shaq as an altercation....everybody argues with shaq, Bosh got into a war of words with him, for crying out loud.

I like Lebron's game, I just don't like his attitude. And since Lebron is the leader of the Cavs, he needs to change their attitude, too.

still1ballin
03-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Your just a hater, thats not them being full of themselves thats the team chemistry they have together. Its a great sign of unity.

Can I be entitled to my own opinion without being called a hater? Listen if they did it once or twice fine, but they are doing it every game and its a joke.

Team chemistry? You can have team chemistry w/o making a full of yourself.

tdunk21
03-20-2009, 02:19 PM
who cares about his pre game and post game mannerisms....dude is a superstar and he has the talent and passion to prove it....maybe he is boastin coz he is being compared with oscar, magic and evryone...so hell yeah that gives him a right to boast about himself...

NYtilIdie
03-20-2009, 02:21 PM
Don't act like Kobes not full of himself by doing that big balls dance and Jordan was full of himself every now and then by shooting free throws with his eyes closed. And don't make a big deal out of the camera thing they are just having fun its shows that they enjoy being around eachother so its really not a big deal has no effect on the game so it shouldn't bother you.

still1ballin
03-20-2009, 02:25 PM
Don't act like Kobes not full of himself by doing that big balls dance and Jordan was full of himself every now and then by shooting free throws with his eyes closed. Its just part of the game your always gonna get players that are gonna show off every-now and then. When your having fun you get carried away if you played a pick-up game with your friends and your having a monster game of course your going to get a little cocky because your having fun. At least players show emotion you have guys like Wilson Chandler who will have a monster game and won't even blink (Knick fan joke). And don't make a big deal out of the camera thing they are just having fun its shows that they enjoy being around eachother so its really not a big deal has no effect on the game so it shouldn't bother you.

Ok that is during the game after he makes a big shot. Everyone one does that after a big shot to win the game/tie. But do you see Kobe doing the big ball dance after every shot? No? I have no problem with the camera thing, but doing it every game is quite annoying.

JordansBulls
03-20-2009, 02:29 PM
Lebron is probably the most humble and meekest player in the league these days.

Prince21
03-20-2009, 02:29 PM

I dont really agree with that. Now the Cavs are among the elite teams in the league...they have a loose clubhouse and that seems to be working for them. Mike Brown doesnt seem to mind..at the end of the day they get the W's

im not a Cavs fan at all im just speaking from my experience playing sports my a good portion of my life!

rabueed
03-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Can I be entitled to my own opinion without being called a hater? Listen if they did it once or twice fine, but they are doing it every game and its a joke.

Team chemistry? You can have team chemistry w/o making a full of yourself.

seriously, the word hater is used way too much in this forum.

we're not hating
or discriminating
we're debating
and deliberating
whether Lebron's so-called invigorating
pregame antics are insinuating
and stating
and waiting to see
that is head could be inflating
and creating a self imagery
so in some eyes, he has a bad rating
and grading
and i'm just opinionating
so don't be hating
on me

loool
an

tkshy
03-20-2009, 02:31 PM

As an individual, he can be as cocky as he wants. I think the team photo bothers me more. NO RINGS NO PHOTO SHOOTS. New Rule...lol.

still1ballin
03-20-2009, 02:33 PM
seriously, the word hater is used way too much in this forum.

we're not hating
or discriminating
we're debating
and deliberating
whether Lebron's so-called invigorating
pregame antics are insinuating
and stating
and waiting to see
that is head could be inflating
and creating a self imagery
so in some eyes, he has a bad rating
and grading
and i'm just opinionating
so don't be hating
on me

loool
an

trust me i know, i got an infraction for using it

NYtilIdie
03-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Ok that is during the game after he makes a big shot. Everyone one does that after a big shot to win the game/tie. But do you see Kobe doing the big ball dance after every shot? No? I have no problem with the camera thing, but doing it every game is quite annoying.

It doesn't matter if its a big shot. Your 30 yrs. old doing the big balls dance? Its amazing how most of the younger guys are more mature then Kobe the day Joe Johnson or Dwight Howard do the "Big balls dance" is the day hell freezes over

still1ballin
03-20-2009, 02:34 PM
As an individual, he can be as cocky as he wants. I think the team photo bothers me more. NO RINGS NO PHOTO SHOOTS. New Rule...lol.

LOL sounds good to me

still1ballin
03-20-2009, 02:37 PM
It doesn't matter if its a big shot. Your 30 yrs. old doing the big balls dance? Its amazing how most of the younger guys are more mature then Kobe the day Joe Johnson or Dwight Howard do the "Big balls dance" is the day hell freezes over

Then the NBA should follow the NFL and make a rule that after every big shot you can't celebrate, like in NFL after every TD you can't celebrate.....Who cares if he does the big ball dance, other players do other things like staring at the crowd, look what wade did after the bulls game, he ran up and jumped on the scorers table yelling and shouting "This is my house." IMO you make big shots like that, you celebrate how ever you want.

Julio Zuleta
03-20-2009, 02:39 PM
lebron is so good that he can act and do whatever the heck he wants

rabueed
03-20-2009, 02:40 PM

did u really start an account just for this thread?

bledrules
03-20-2009, 02:41 PM
He is by far the biggest ego maniac in the history of the nba

NYtilIdie
03-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Then the NBA should follow the NFL and make a rule that after every big shot you can't celebrate, like in NFL after every TD you can't celebrate.....Who cares if he does the big ball dance, other players do other things like staring at the crowd, look what wade did after the bulls game, he ran up and jumped on the scorers table yelling and shouting "This is my house." IMO you make big shots like that, you celebrate how ever you want.

I see what your saying, but doing the "big balls" dance is going overboard beating on your chest is NO where near as bad as acting like you have big balls. If anybody in the NFL were to do that they would be fined and be hit with unsportsman like conduct and the TD wouldn't even count. You can't really compare the NFL and the NBA because you can get away with alot more in the NBA then in the NFL

ink
03-20-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm closing this one up. There's no need for threads that hate on any players. This one is not going to lead to anything good.