PDA

View Full Version : What if Portland had drafted Durant?

blackjack_119
03-20-2009, 03:37 AM
You thought this was going to be another boring thread about how much better Portland would be... well your in luck because that is the last thing this thread is about.

I was thinking about how drastically history may have changed for other teams.

If Portland takes Durant, then Oden is drafted by Seattle. Since Seattle doesn't have Durant, they resign Rashard Lewis rather than letting him going to Orlando.

With Oden and Rashard Lewis, Seattle doesn't trade Ray Allen to Boston.

Without Ray Allen, KG does not go to Boston either.

If Oden is in Seattle, he doesn't get the flukey knee injury... Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis and a healthy Greg Oden make the playoffs... which means the city has enough support to keep the team in Seattle.

If Portland takes Durant:
The Celtics don't win the championship.
The "Thunder" never exist.
Orlando isn't as good w/o Rashard Lewis

How else does the league change? Where does KG end up?

It's weird to think how different things can change based on one pick.

scion52
03-20-2009, 03:57 AM
You thought this was going to be another boring thread about how much better Portland would be... well your in luck because that is the last thing this thread is about.

If Portland takes Durant, then Oden is drafted by Seattle. Since Seattle doesn't have Durant, they resign Rashard Lewis rather than letting him going to Orlando.

If Oden is in Seattle, he doesn't get the flukey knee injury... Ray Allen, Rashard Lewis and a healthy Greg Oden make the playoffs... which means the city has enough support to keep the team in Seattle.

Not a bad thread whatsoever. Just know there have been and will always be threads like this, just on other picks or scenarios. But I know what you mean. It's fun to think about. Me for example, I'm always picturing scenarios like what if Detroit had selected Carmelo instead of Darko Milicic, what if OJ Mayo wasn't traded to Memphis (as a MN fan). It's crazy.

DerekRE_3
03-20-2009, 04:11 AM
This scenario has been done....and done again.

WatWoudJordanDo
03-20-2009, 04:20 AM
what if portland took MJ....oops. wrong monumental draft error by portland

extreme k.closs
03-20-2009, 04:25 AM
What if I was quadropolegic?

GoatMilk
03-20-2009, 04:26 AM
I think you over-analyzed a tad, but this is a what if thread so i'll let it go :)

Sevilla91
03-20-2009, 04:28 AM
probably the worst thread ever

extreme k.closs
03-20-2009, 04:32 AM

probably the best picture of ann coulter in your avatar

Lucky Junior
03-20-2009, 04:38 AM
KG was gonna go to the Lakers for Odom, Brown, and Bynum. The only thing that held up the deal is the Lakers didn't really want to give up Bynum, and then the Celtics undercut them.

So, Gasol ends up in Chicago instead of LA. KG and Kobe win the Championship. Etc...

Statik1
03-20-2009, 04:48 AM
what if portland took MJ....oops. wrong monumental draft error by portland

That's all I needed to read in this thread.

blackjack_119
03-20-2009, 05:00 AM
What if I was quadropolegic?

The world would be better for it? :)

SteveNash
03-20-2009, 06:33 AM
Seattle traded Rashard and Allen because they were moving and wanted to rebuild, not because they drafted Durant.

jimbobjarree
03-20-2009, 09:08 AM
what if mike james had a team around him that didnt fail him?

yeah..scary

DitchDat
03-20-2009, 09:12 AM
what if mike james had a team around him that didnt fail him?

yeah..scary

lol!

WSU Tony
03-20-2009, 09:56 AM
The whole "Sonics out of Seattle" was too far under way by that draft to turn it around....

superkegger
03-20-2009, 10:04 AM
If Portland drafted Durant, then Oden would be on the Thunder right now.

jimbobjarree
03-20-2009, 10:22 AM
you guys are forgetting the biggest change here....krstic would still probably be in europe

dun dun dunnnnnnn

JordansBulls
03-20-2009, 10:29 AM

Good thread.

I will say that seeing a Roy, Durant and Aldridge trio for the next 10 years would have been deadly.

what54!?
03-20-2009, 10:37 AM
That would be one scary team. You would have to pick your poison between durant, roy, and Lamarcus. Lets face it Przybrilla does everything oden does for them (I'm not calling oden a bust yet)

JJ81
03-20-2009, 11:44 AM
But instead they drafted oden hahah

IBleedPurple
03-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Good point, but the past is done.

What if we all were NBA coaches? Players?

IDB Josh M
03-20-2009, 12:37 PM
The What if game, while always fun to play, ultimately leads everyone to be depressed (or very happy).

extreme k.closs
03-20-2009, 12:43 PM
The world would be better for it? :)

nope, i'd be the first quadro to become slam dunk champ

Johann
03-20-2009, 12:46 PM
what if jesus got drafted before james?

Johann
03-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Good thread.

I will say that seeing a Roy, Durant and Aldridge trio for the next 10 years would have been deadly.

you dont think portland had thought about that already before draftin oden?
they coulda chose durant, but they thought about and said that a great bigger man was tougher to find than a great smaller man

thephoenixson28
03-20-2009, 12:55 PM
KG was gonna go to the Lakers for Odom, Brown, and Bynum. The only thing that held up the deal is the Lakers didn't really want to give up Bynum, and then the Celtics undercut them.

So, Gasol ends up in Chicago instead of LA. KG and Kobe win the Championship. Etc... KG would've ended up in phoenix were he wanted to go in the first place. KG didn't want to go to L.A that's what he said when those rumors came up. If we would've found another team besides boston for a three team deal maybe a four team deal with boston, phoenix would've had KG so the moral of the story is:

KG,Amare,Hill,Bell,Nash = championship

king4day
03-20-2009, 01:03 PM
If Oden is in Seattle, he doesn't get the flukey knee injury

If I'm not mistaken, the Microfracture was going to happen regardless. If you need it, you need it.
Good thread though. The only thing is, they were moving no matter what.
They likely still woulda made the trades they did since they were in fact in rebuilding mode.

pacman16
03-20-2009, 01:11 PM
one, odens always guna be injured no matter where he ended up.
two,an unproven rookie added to allen an lewis would make allen stay
three,durant on portland would be insane..

jimbobjarree
03-20-2009, 02:30 PM
KG would've ended up in phoenix were he wanted to go in the first place. KG didn't want to go to L.A that's what he said when those rumors came up. If we would've found another team besides boston for a three team deal maybe a four team deal with boston, phoenix would've had KG so the moral of the story is:

KG,Amare,Hill,Bell,Nash = championship

I'm sure the Suns would have found a way to lose regardless, it seems to be a habit

IrespectNumber3
03-20-2009, 02:35 PM
I cant picture KG in a suns jersey

IversonIsKrazy
03-20-2009, 03:23 PM
i usually h8 these WHAT IF draft pick threads, but this 1 is good.

KG wouldve gone to Lakers.
Laker would win championship.
Portland would be looking for a C in the off-season.
I dont think Sonics would make the playoffs, but mite get 9th, right behind nuggets. WOuld still be a Seattle team though, would still be solid. Ray, Lewis, Oden.

sp1derm00
03-20-2009, 03:25 PM
If Durant ended up on Portland, they would easily be top contenders this year along w/ the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, Cavs, and Magic.

Oh man, that would be so scary.

IversonIsKrazy
03-20-2009, 03:26 PM
And Gasol would've bin traded elsewhere. Marubry prob wouldn't have been bought-out. Westbrook would've bin drafted by some 1 else.

chilly
03-20-2009, 03:53 PM
And the Lakers win the NBA title last year, sounds good with me.

thephoenixson28
03-20-2009, 03:59 PM
I'm sure the Suns would have found a way to lose regardless, it seems to be a habit kind of like the team in your avatar.

vick27m
03-20-2009, 04:35 PM
these what if threads are getting annoying its impossible to no what would have happened thats like saying what if i didnt wear a condom when i did my girlfriend its completley up in the air. but ya the division would look a lot different probably

jimbobjarree
03-21-2009, 12:15 AM
kind of like the team in your avatar.

awful comeback...just awful

thephoenixson28
03-21-2009, 01:54 AM
awful comeback...just awful why cuz its towards you who are you to tell me what's a good comeback. I just speak the truth.

hockeypro68
03-21-2009, 02:30 AM
What if Eric Gordon went to the Knicks with the 6th pick? 20+ppg easily (he's been averaging over 20 since the new year), sinking 3s left and right, would win ROY, Lebron sees what he could be playing with, and realizes how dope it'd be to play in New York, Knicks get Lebron hell yes :pray:

Faneik
03-21-2009, 03:25 AM
what if my grandma had wheels?

would she be a skate board?

davg31
03-21-2009, 04:35 AM
Not again