PDA

View Full Version : Celtics coach Rivers, referee Kennedy both fined by league

Highlight
03-19-2009, 11:54 PM
Boston coach Doc Rivers has been fined $25,000 by the NBA for criticizing a referee earlier in the week.

Rivers was penalized Thursday. He was irate following the Celtics' 127-121 loss at Chicago on Tuesday night, after he got whistled for his second technical foul in the final minute. That led to an automatic ejection and a rant against referee Bill Kennedy.

After John Salmons' basket gave the Bulls a 124-119 lead with 29.8 seconds left, the Celtics called a timeout and then Rivers got tossed.

The league also fined referee Kennedy an undisclosed amount.

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/03/19/rivers.fined.ap/index.html

I am happy the league fined Kennedy. The way Doc was tossed was just ridiculous. Happy the league put this ref in check.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Frrrrank!!!
03-19-2009, 11:59 PM
I don't get why doc was fined for questioning the ref. If the league fined the ref, isn't that saying that doc was right?

Hawkize31
03-20-2009, 12:04 AM
I don't get why doc was fined for questioning the ref. If the league fined the ref, isn't that saying that doc was right?

My thoughts exactly. If you (the NBA) want to side with the league officials, fine. And if they want to side with Coach Rivers, thats ok too. But how can you say they were both wrong here? That makes no sense and it makes the NBA high-ups lose some more credibility imo.

Pick a side, dont play the fence.

superkegger
03-20-2009, 12:09 AM
They're fining him for what he said to the media after the fact. Which the NBA has consistently done when people criticize the officiating in the manner Doc did to the media.

Highlight
03-20-2009, 12:09 AM

His fining might have to do with what he said post game. I haven't looked at the video yet, but that might be why he got fined. If not, then I completely agree with you.

bostncelts34
03-20-2009, 12:26 AM
i agree with this. both should have been fined. The ref would have been the only one fined if doc didnt use his name in the press conference. Doc was wrong for calling him out like that on air. But yea, that ref. was way out of line.

cmoneytakemoney
03-20-2009, 12:52 AM
That referee deserved to be suspended. He completely provoked Doc Rivers in a one possession game with like 20 seconds left to go and gave him a technical which handed the win to the Bulls. Doc was walking away and he stood right there and starred him down until Doc said what are you looking at to him. You don't give a technical foul at that point in the game first of all. Second he provoked him. The league should start fining more officials. There was a poll on Fox Sports Net the other day and it was which officials in professional sports are the worst? baseball, hockey, basketball, and football and 91% of the voters picked basketball. It's just getting worse and worse with these NBA officials. They are horrible.

Rox07
03-20-2009, 01:08 AM
What I don't understand is fining both the ref and the coach is sending different messages to both sides. One, the coach has no way of questioning the ref without getting fined. And by fining the ref, you are telling the coach he is right yet you are still fining him. Maybe he didn't handle the situation in a proper manner? But then the question is, what is the right way because obviously questioning a ref will get you fined regardless ie Jeff Van Gundy.

CraigtheSoxFan
03-20-2009, 01:23 AM
fineds thats it. kennedy should of been banned for a few games

Frrrrank!!!
03-20-2009, 08:00 AM
They're fining him for what he said to the media after the fact. Which the NBA has consistently done when people criticize the officiating in the manner Doc did to the media.

I just don't get why you fine a guy for criticizing the refs, when the league basically said the coach is right. Idk, just seems weird to fine a guy who is just speaking the truth.

mackworth
03-20-2009, 08:36 AM
I am fairly confident if Doc hadn't said "most unprofessional technical" that it might have been different. If he has a problem, he could have talked directly to the league and he probably wouldn't have been fined. I don't blame him though, I would have done the same thing.

BTownTeamsRKing
03-20-2009, 08:59 AM
I am fairly confident if Doc hadn't said "most unprofessional technical" that it might have been different. If he has a problem, he could have talked directly to the league and he probably wouldn't have been fined. I don't blame him though, I would have done the same thing.

but if Doc hadnt said anything, i highly doubt the ref would have been fined either. the NBA is run by cowards who never step up and make the tough call.

i wish the NBA would fine more refs for such behavior. these refs have the biggest egos in sports. time to put them in check.

DrDEADalready
03-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Shiii least he lasted the game before he got ejected. Jerry Sloan got ejected within the first three min of the 1st quarter in the Orlando game. The league needs to look into that ref job. and fire his ***. I wonder if that's a record for being ejected that fast? :shrug:

MoBASS
03-20-2009, 11:26 AM
Anyone have a video of the altercation?

GodsSon
03-20-2009, 11:39 AM
but if Doc hadnt said anything, i highly doubt the ref would have been fined either. the NBA is run by cowards who never step up and make the tough call.

i wish the NBA would fine more refs for such behavior. these refs have the biggest egos in sports. time to put them in check.

agreed

JJ81
03-20-2009, 11:43 AM
He does ***** way too much

BTownTeamsRKing
03-20-2009, 11:49 AM
He does ***** way too much

that has nothing to do with this matter though. this ref flat out had something against Doc all night. remember this was the 2nd tech. execs in the NBA say Rivers is one of the most respectful people in league and for him to blow up like that said something to them.

my issue with this (because i overanalyze everything) is why fine Doc? If u want to send a message to the refs (which is a good thing), why give this ref any justification by fining the coach? Doesn't make much sense the way they decide these things.

Wilson
03-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Exactly. I don't know what actually happened, but I think it would be just because he went public with stuff rather than handle it with the league.