PDA

View Full Version : DreamShaker's All-Time draft list

DreamShaker
03-19-2009, 10:30 PM
I was gonna do this as a vote...but some of the debates were so tedious it would have killed it...so I decided to ranbk them on my own! Agree or disagree! But I'm ranking the greatest player since 1978 to be drafted at specific numerical posiotions....30-1 so love it, hate it, or be totally indifferent please enjoy!

30- I am gonna have to go with Gilbert Arenas....yes he's been injured...yes he's been a ballhog....but he's the only guy on this list who has been a top 20 player in the NBA at any point during his career and was the best option in a weak spot highlighted by the comedic trio of Marko Jaric, Maciej Lampe, and Gheorghe Muresan...

29- Gonna go with Eddie Johnson...a 20PPG scorer in his prime he hit some big shots for the Rockets back in the day and now acts as a commentator for the Suns, with whom he played very well for....Josh Howard and Toni Kukok are some very nice players at this spot as well...and the man, the myth...the Mark Madsen.

28- Another spot with not too much competition...but I think the guy here has the potential to be ca HOFer one day....Mr. Tony Parker! The guy is 26 years old and already has 3 rings and a Finals MVP. He has really continued to improve every year and has many years to go...

27- This spot is owned by the most unique basketball player I have ever seen...Dennis Rodman. If it was wearing a wedding dress, coloring his hair, or helping his teams win championships with reckless abandon on the boards and on D...we paid attention to Rodman. And it was well deserved.

26. Kevin Martin is a good player. He is still young and can take this spot one day, no question. But all he has to do is look up to the rafters and see the man who occupies this spot: Vlade Divac. Vlade was a real trailblazer for European sucess in the NBA...he is truly unforgettable.

25. Gonna go with Mark Price. Price played alot like Steve Nash and in my humble opinion....was just about as good.

24. Arvidis Sabonis was the best basketball player to be drafted at this position. But his NBA career was started when he was past his prime....so Latrell Spreewell gets the nod. Had a very nice career but will probably be most remembered for the choking incedent and the vtimeless "I need to feed my family" statement.

23. Wilson Chandler and Kosta Koufos...this spot is yours for the taking....better step it up dudes....the original 40 year old virgin, AC Green, gets this spot by default.

22. Pig Miller is the 2nd best player at this spot. Number one is a man who died right as he was hitting his prime...Reggie Lewis.

21. I forgot Michael Finley here....he has had a better career than Rondo....

20. Only two All-Stars have been at that spot...Jameer Nelson and Zydrunas Ilgauskas...i'll go with Big Z!

19. Ugh this is pretty sad....Zach Randolph :pity:

18. Now we are cookin...how about a Finals MVP, a Hall of Famer, and one half of one of the greatest back court duos of all-time? Joe Dumars.

17. One of the greatest slam dunkers of All-Time....Shawn Kemp.

16. What would you do if I told you you had the 16th pick in the draft...was going to get a top 5 PG of All-time....and he was going to stay with you for over 15 years? Well the Jazz were very insanely lucky to get John Stockton in this spot...

15. The most dubious 2-time MVP you will ever see....but still an All-Time great. Steve Nash occupies this spot.

14. It is with great pride I anoint this spot to one of the greatest shooting guards to ever play and a Rocket legend....Clyde Drexler. All apoligies to PSD blogger Michael Cage.

13. Toughest pick yet...Karl Malone is the best player to be mentioned so far. Hands down. He is an MVP, a gold medalist, and the 2nd greatest scorer of All-Time (points wise). But some guy named Kobe was also drafted here. So who do I go with. The Mail-Man. Flame away!

12. I've never heard of the two guys drafted directly ahead of Malone and Kobe....but Mugsy Bouges gets the nod here.

11. This guy was a true warrior. A cold-blooded killer. A man who is the only face this franchise has ever needed. Reggie Miller.

10. Lakers fans favorite player: Paul Pierce;)

9. Now into single digits...yipee! IMO he will go down as the greatest European player to ever play the game....Dirk Nowitzki

8. Short career but highest peak at this spot...Andrew Toney.

7. The C in "Run TMC"...Chris Mullin...Kevin Johnson a close 2nd....

6. My 2nd favorite player of All-Time...Larry Bird.

5. Pippen and KG is quite the debate....but Charles Barkley trumps them both.

4. A guy who has the potential to be the greatest point guard ever....not named Magic....Chris Paul.

3. As much as I am tempted to go with Adam Morrison...I'll go with the guy who drafted him....Michael Jordan.

2. Isaiah Thomas was a horrible front office guy....but one of the top 3 greatest point guards to ever play.

1. So we got Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Allen Iverson, and Kwame Brown. But all of them (even Kwame) pale in comparison to Magic Johnson.

DreamShaker
03-19-2009, 10:30 PM
Ooops still working on this....

DerekRE_3
03-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Gilbert Arenas was drafted 31st overall.

Sportfan
03-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Good list so far

superkegger
03-19-2009, 10:36 PM
No Michael Finley or Boris Diaw at 21?

Kakaroach
03-19-2009, 10:44 PM
Good list thus far but yeah Diaw has to be #21. I thought Arenas went in the second round?

barbjake
03-19-2009, 11:04 PM
I like this! Where's the rest?

DreamShaker
03-19-2009, 11:23 PM
Done!

DreamShaker
03-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Gilbert Arenas was drafted 31st overall.

List I had says he was the 30th pick....

NYMetros
03-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Great post Dream! I'm going to enjoy reading this.

DreamShaker
03-19-2009, 11:27 PM
No Michael Finley or Boris Diaw at 21?

Oh I missed that one....I'll go Finley over Rondo....

DreamShaker
03-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Great post Dream! I'm going to enjoy reading this.

Thank you sir....I enjoyed doing it!

DreamShaker
03-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Good list thus far but yeah Diaw has to be #21. I thought Arenas went in the second round?

There were only 29 teams at the time and I believe that was one of the years Minny had no pick due to the Joe Smith fiasco...

Giannis94
03-19-2009, 11:48 PM
y dont u do one of the most hyped up busts? thatd b a lot more interesting to read in my opinion....sorry if u take offense

JordansBulls
03-19-2009, 11:50 PM
I was gonna do this as a vote...but some of the debates were so tedious it would have killed it...so I decided to ranbk them on my own! Agree or disagree! But I'm ranking the greatest player since 1978 to be drafted at specific numerical posiotions....30-1 so love it, hate it, or be totally indifferent please enjoy!

30- I am gonna have to go with Gilbert Arenas....yes he's been injured...yes he's been a ballhog....but he's the only guy on this list who has been a top 20 player in the NBA at any point during his career and was the best option in a weak spot highlighted by the comedic trio of Marko Jaric, Maciej Lampe, and Gheorghe Muresan...

29- Gonna go with Eddie Johnson...a 20PPG scorer in his prime he hit some big shots for the Rockets back in the day and now acts as a commentator for the Suns, with whom he played very well for....Josh Howard and Toni Kukok are some very nice players at this spot as well...and the man, the myth...the Mark Madsen.

28- Another spot with not too much competition...but I think the guy here has the potential to be ca HOFer one day....Mr. Tony Parker! The guy is 26 years old and already has 3 rings and a Finals MVP. He has really continued to improve every year and has many years to go...

27- This spot is owned by the most unique basketball player I have ever seen...Dennis Rodman. If it was wearing a wedding dress, coloring his hair, or helping his teams win championships with reckless abandon on the boards and on D...we paid attention to Rodman. And it was well deserved.

26. Kevin Martin is a good player. He is still young and can take this spot one day, no question. But all he has to do is look up to the rafters and see the man who occupies this spot: Vlade Divac. Vlade was a real trailblazer for European sucess in the NBA...he is truly unforgettable.

25. Gonna go with Mark Price. Price played alot like Steve Nash and in my humble opinion....was just about as good.

24. Arvidis Sabonis was the best basketball player to be drafted at this position. But his NBA career was started when he was past his prime....so Latrell Spreewell gets the nod. Had a very nice career but will probably be most remembered for the choking incedent and the vtimeless "I need to feed my family" statement.

23. Wilson Chandler and Kosta Koufos...this spot is yours for the taking....better step it up dudes....the original 40 year old virgin, AC Green, gets this spot by default.

22. Pig Miller is the 2nd best player at this spot. Number one is a man who died right as he was hitting his prime...Reggie Lewis.

20. Only two All-Stars have been at that spot...Jameer Nelson and Zydrunas Ilgauskas...i'll go with Big Z!

18. Now we are cookin...how about a Finals MVP, a Hall of Famer, and one half of one of the greatest back court duos of all-time? Joe Dumars.

16. What would you do if I told you you had the 16th pick in the draft...was going to get a top 5 PG of All-time....and he was going to stay with you for over 15 years? Well the Jazz were very insanely lucky to get John Stockton in this spot...

15. The most dubious 2-time MVP you will ever see....but still an All-Time great. Steve Nash occupies this spot.

14. It is with great pride I anoint this spot to one of the greatest shooting guards to ever play and a Rocket legend....Clyde Drexler. All apoligies to PSD blogger Michael Cage.

13. Toughest pick yet...Karl Malone is the best player to be mentioned so far. Hands down. He is an MVP, a gold medalist, and the 2nd greatest scorer of All-Time (points wise). But some guy named Kobe was also drafted here. So who do I go with. The Mail-Man. Flame away!

12. I've never heard of the two guys drafted directly ahead of Malone and Kobe....but Mugsy Bouges gets the nod here.

11. This guy was a true warrior. A cold-blooded killer. A man who is the only face this franchise has ever needed. Reggie Miller.

9. Now into single digits...yipee! IMO he will go down as the greatest European player to ever play the game....Dirk Nowitzki

4. A guy who has the potential to be the greatest point guard ever....not named Magic....Chris Paul.

3. As much as I am tempted to go with Adam Morrison...I'll go with the guy who drafted him....Michael Jordan.

2. Isaiah Thomas was a horrible front office guy....but one of the top 3 greatest point guards to ever play.

1. So we got Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Allen Iverson, and Kwame Brown. But all of them (even Kwame) pale in comparison to Magic Johnson.

What about Wade at #5?

bctgg27
03-20-2009, 12:00 AM
^^Barkley still comes ahead of wade. At least at this point in wade's career.

DerekRE_3
03-20-2009, 12:18 AM
List I had says he was the 30th pick....

http://www.nba.com/draft2001/playerfiles/gilbert_arenas.html

I like the list, just letting you know.

DreamShaker
03-20-2009, 12:28 AM
y dont u do one of the most hyped up busts? thatd b a lot more interesting to read in my opinion....sorry if u take offense

Lol no offense taken...

DreamShaker
03-20-2009, 12:30 AM
http://www.nba.com/draft2001/playerfiles/gilbert_arenas.html

I like the list, just letting you know.

Hmmm...he was the 30th player taken but Minny had it's pick revoked so he was the 31st pick but the 30th player taken maybe? I dunno that's strange....

DreamShaker
03-20-2009, 12:32 AM
What about Wade at #5?

I like Barkley for now...Wade will pass him up eventually....I'm suprised I haven't recieved any negative feedback for picking Malone over Kobe...

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-20-2009, 12:38 AM
Nice list, pretty interesting to read.

DerekRE_3
03-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Hmmm...he was the 30th player taken but Minny had it's pick revoked so he was the 31st pick but the 30th player taken maybe? I dunno that's strange....

yeah that's weird, I check on Wikipedia too, and they had him at 31 too. Weren't there 29 teams in the league back then? So the 1st pick of the 2nd round would have been the 30th, and Gilbert was the 1st pick of the 2nd round right?

x_notorious
03-20-2009, 12:43 AM
I'll take Kobe over Mailman any day of the week. At the end of the day, it comes down to championships.

abe_froman
03-20-2009, 01:16 AM
I like Barkley for now...Wade will pass him up eventually....I'm suprised I haven't recieved any negative feedback for picking Malone over Kobe...

because i think many realize(all but the most...err "vocal" of kobe supporters)that malone had a better career than kobe,for now anyways

(go ahead kobe fans flame me to)

what54!?
03-20-2009, 01:22 AM
I understand why you didn't mention wade (at least yet) but I'd take kobe over the mailman. When kobe's career is done he'll have had a better one.

zambo4president
03-20-2009, 01:24 AM
No LeBron?

SteveNash
03-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Depends on what you're going with some picks it seems based on who has/had the better career. Other times it's the best player.

I'd also have to say:

2. Bill Russell over Isiah Thomas.
4. Rick Barry over Chris Paul.
5. KG over Barkley.
7. Kevin Johnson, Alvin Robertson, and Bernard King over Mullin.
8. Sam Jones over Toney.
9. John Havlicek over Dirk.
10. Willis Reed over Pierce.
12. Julius Erving over Muggsy.
14. Hal Greer over Clyde Drexler.
17. Jermaine O'Neal over Kemp.
19. Nate Archibald over Randolph.
20. Gus Williams over Z.
23. Tayshaun Prince over A.C. Green.

superkegger
03-20-2009, 01:25 AM

Right now, Karl had the better overall career. When Kobe hangs it up, he'll probably have it. Can't go wrong with either really.

superkegger
03-20-2009, 01:26 AM
Depends on what you're going with some picks it seems based on who has/had the better career. Other times it's the best player.

I'd also have to say:

5. KG over Barkley.
8. Sam Jones over Toney.
20. Gus Williams over Z.

He only went back to 1978 on his list...the modern era after no ABA.

SteveNash
03-20-2009, 01:32 AM
He only went back to 1978 on his list...the modern era after no ABA.

But he also called it the all time list, I just figured whatever he was looking at to see who was drafted where didn't go back that far.

rabueed
03-20-2009, 03:22 AM
The list is pretty good, but I think you should choose players that aren't currently active. Until we see the full careers of the players, we can't really judge, IMO.

Of course, some like tony Parker will end up in that position by default. But until the career is over, we shouldn't choose.

Otherwise, Kobe deserves the position over Malone. Because he will end with a better career than Malone. I actually believe he currently does, but Malone is close.

Lakersfan2483
03-20-2009, 03:34 AM
My man Dreamshaker, where have you been hiding out? lol. I like most of your list, but I would take Kobe over Karl Malone.

barbjake
03-20-2009, 03:41 AM
My man Dreamshaker, where have you been hiding out? lol. I like most of your list, but I would take Kobe over Karl Malone.

Don't like either of them truth be told.

But Karl Malone was/is arguably the best power forward to ever play the game. Kobe is obviously hall of fame, but I'd still take Malone for now. Bulls fan here.

Lakersfan2483
03-20-2009, 03:43 AM

I like most of your picks, but I would draft Kevin Johnson over Chris Mullin. The Barkley/KG pick is tough, Barkley gets the edge for now.

Lakersfan2483
03-20-2009, 03:46 AM
Don't like either of them truth be told.

But Karl Malone was/is arguably the best power forward to ever play the game. Kobe is obviously hall of fame, but I'd still take Malone for now. Bulls fan here.

Tim Duncan is the greatest power forward to ever play and I would take Kobe over Malone, although Malone was a great player.

DreamShaker
03-20-2009, 12:28 PM

I'd also have to say:

5. KG over Barkley.
8. Sam Jones over Toney.
20. Gus Williams over Z.

Yeah I did only since 78....if I had one game to win Barkley would be the guy I would ride with....he could dominate in a way KG never has been able to....KG is a much better defender though....but I still take Chuck....

DreamShaker
03-20-2009, 12:36 PM
As for Kobe/Malone....it's really a toss up to me at this point....Malone was so great....Kobe is so great....Kobe is only 30....and has the best set of moves on offense perhaps ever....but the one knock on him has always been his mentality....he is starting to become a better team player (although he still forces the issue at times, but hey, he's Kobe)....if he can seize the moment when it matters most (Finals) without Shaq....he overtakes Malone without question (Malone could never accomplish that, although it was MJ)...but time will probably put Kobe over him any way you slice it....

laker1000
03-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Great post.

abe_froman
03-20-2009, 03:22 PM
As for Kobe/Malone....it's really a toss up to me at this point....Malone was so great....Kobe is so great....Kobe is only 30....and has the best set of moves on offense perhaps ever....but the one knock on him has always been his mentality....he is starting to become a better team player (although he still forces the issue at times, but hey, he's Kobe)....if he can seize the moment when it matters most (Finals) without Shaq....he overtakes Malone without question (Malone could never accomplish that, although it was MJ)...but time will probably put Kobe over him any way you slice it....

most def. i'd say within the next 5 years

alexander_37
03-20-2009, 03:27 PM
T-Mac > Dirk at 9 easily IMO.

Vinny642
03-20-2009, 11:22 PM
I like DreamShaker's list especially number four pick ;)

KB24PG16
03-20-2009, 11:32 PM
nice thread

superkegger
03-20-2009, 11:47 PM
I have problems with a few.

Andrew Toney at 8? His peak wasn't even that high. He only started slight more than half his games played, scored 20+ ppg once, and didn't assist or rebound well.

You put him ahead of Vin Baker, Andre Miller, Ron Harper, Detlef Schrempf or Tom Chambers. Especially Tom Chambers. Hell, If you're going for high peak, Clark Kellog had a higher peak though for a very short time.

And at 19, I'll take Rod Strickland or Jim Paxson over zbo.

DreamShaker
03-21-2009, 05:53 PM
I have problems with a few.

Andrew Toney at 8? His peak wasn't even that high. He only started slight more than half his games played, scored 20+ ppg once, and didn't assist or rebound well.

You put him ahead of Vin Baker, Andre Miller, Ron Harper, Detlef Schrempf or Tom Chambers. Especially Tom Chambers. Hell, If you're going for high peak, Clark Kellog had a higher peak though for a very short time.

And at 19, I'll take Rod Strickland or Jim Paxson over zbo.

I missed Chambers...and Toney played with HOFers like Dr. J, Moses Malone, and Charles Barkley and a pure point guard in Cheeks that required him not to have to do as much...why would you need to rebound as well with Moses or Barkley on your team??? He was 6'3 anyways...He wasn't as good as Chambers but I think he was slightly better than Baker....and much better than Harper and Miller....who never made an All-Star team...Toney made a few...

Strickland over Z-Bo I can see but Paxson??

Kakaroach
03-21-2009, 06:02 PM
Malone is deserving of the spot as of right now over Kobe. That might change in a few years, but it belongs to the Mail-Man for now.

The Answer3
03-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Great thread.

superkegger
03-21-2009, 06:42 PM
I missed Chambers...and Toney played with HOFers like Dr. J, Moses Malone, and Charles Barkley and a pure point guard in Cheeks that required him not to have to do as much...why would you need to rebound as well with Moses or Barkley on your team??? He was 6'3 anyways...He wasn't as good as Chambers but I think he was slightly better than Baker....and much better than Harper and Miller....who never made an All-Star team...Toney made a few...

Strickland over Z-Bo I can see but Paxson??

Perhaps you think I meant John Paxson.

I'm talking about Jim Paxson (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/paxsoji02.html). I'll take Jim Paxson over Zbo anyday. Zbo is a POS. He puts up hollow stats and is a proven loser.

DreamShaker
03-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Perhaps you think I meant John Paxson.

I'm talking about Jim Paxson (http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/paxsoji02.html). I'll take Jim Paxson over Zbo anyday.

Hmmm...I didn't know much about Jim Paxson and yes I thought you were talking about his bro....

superkegger
03-21-2009, 06:47 PM
:laugh:

I'm a dunce. While I would take Paxson over Zbo, Jim Paxson was taken 12th. I was looking at 8/12/19 thinking no way those are the best possible guys at those spots. I'd take Jim Paxson over Muggsy, no doubt.