PDA

View Full Version : Guys who came out too early?

DreamShaker
03-19-2009, 01:08 PM
As the NCAA tourney kicks off today....and players will be raising their stock during the tourney as they do every year (Melo, Rose, Chalmers, Westbrook, Hortford, D-Will, and Tyrus Thomas being recent examples)...I started to think about guys who look superb in the tourney and come out only to be busts (Sean May being example #1)...as well as guys who have a small cup of cofee with college and then enter the draft on the premise of "upside" and "raw talent" only to drown in the waters of the NBA...then you see guys like Brandon Roy and D-Wade who picked it up as upper-classmen and went on to become studs in the NBA....so is there a connection there? Well Kobe and Lebron didn't need college so I dcunno....but is thyere anyone off the top of your head who you felt would have been better served to stay in college a few more years???

VCaintdead17
03-19-2009, 01:17 PM
Well, I think Sebastian Telfair should of GONE to college. It would of helped him mature his game and maybe help turn him into a solid starter. But players that should of gone to college longer?? Hmm, maybe Greg Oden

DerekRE_3
03-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Donte Greene comes to mind.

Nexus
03-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Richard Simmons.

UK Bull
03-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah players who would it have helped to go to collge Telfair and Kwame. But i agree above with Oden also Kosta Koufos, Shawne Williams

$KnicksAndKobe$
03-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Gerald Green.

Telfair, Oden, Donte Greene, Bayless,

what54!?
03-19-2009, 01:43 PM
Gerald Green.

Telfair, Oden, Donte Greene, Bayless,
yeah he should have. I agree with everyone else too

theuuord
03-19-2009, 01:47 PM
He's still a rookie, but DeAndre Jordan could have used some seasoning in college ball. He probably would have had his draft stock rise a lot higher, considering how it plummeted in the days up to the draft.

Nablis02
03-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Tyrus Thomas

downsos
03-19-2009, 02:41 PM
Sebastian Telfair

GoatMilk
03-19-2009, 02:45 PM
you guys said some of mine
Louis Williams should have gone to college
Anthony Randolph could have used another year

superkegger
03-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Over the past couple years here's the list I came up with of guys who could have benefitted from a year or two more in college. Though it's hard to say they would benefit in all cases, as had they stayed in college, they may very well not have looked as good as they did. For example, if Glen Davis had come out the same year as Tyrus Thomas, he would have been a higher pick, but he still would be the same player. So staying in college didn't benefit him in any way, as he's not more productive for it and is making less money, so in some cases, I'm not too sure if they would be better NBA players for staying in college.

Robin Lopez
Koufos
Donte Greene
Deandre Jordan
Bill Walker
Conley
Brandan Wright
Julian Wright
Javaris Crittendon
Daquean Cook
Josh McRoberts
Shawne Williams
Daniel Gibson
Martell Webster
Gerald Green

Guys who got picked too high, but probably would have been lower picks had they stayed in college longer:
Marvin Williams
Patrick Obryant
Tyrus Thomas
Robert Swift
Telfair?
Dorrel Wright

There's a ton more, but that's what I can think of of the top of my head.

mrblisterdundee
03-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Martell Webster should have gone to college with Brandon Roy at the University of Washington.

KnicksorBust
03-19-2009, 03:02 PM
Over the past couple years here's the list I came up with of guys who could have benefitted from a year or two more in college. Though it's hard to say they would benefit in all cases, as had they stayed in college, they may very well not have looked as good as they did. For example, if Glen Davis had come out the same year as Tyrus Thomas, he would have been a higher pick, but he still would be the same player. So staying in college didn't benefit him in any way, as he's not more productive for it and is making less money, so in some cases, I'm not too sure if they would be better NBA players for staying in college.

Robin Lopez
Koufos
Donte Greene
Deandre Jordan
Bill Walker
Conley
Brandan Wright
Julian Wright
Javaris Crittendon
Daquean Cook
Josh McRoberts
Shawne Williams
Daniel Gibson
Martell Webster
Gerald Green

Guys who got picked too high, but probably would have been lower picks had they stayed in college longer:
Marvin Williams
Patrick Obryant
Tyrus Thomas
Robert Swift
Telfair?
Dorrel Wright

Phenomenal list. Almost all of those players with the exception of Marvin Williams and Tyrus Thomas would have been drafted a little to A LOT higher if they stayed an extra year.

superkegger
03-19-2009, 03:08 PM
Phenomenal list. Almost all of those players with the exception of Marvin Williams and Tyrus Thomas would have been drafted a little to A LOT higher if they stayed an extra year.

Maybe. In several of those cases, (O'Bryant, Lopez, Shawne Willians, Gerald Green), would they be drated as high as they were had they stayed an extra year? I don't think so. I think they either benefitted from the limited exposure they had(Green, Webster) or the extra exposure in the NCAA tourney (Lopez/O'Byrant).

Mostly the guys I listed I think that their overall game would be better had they stayed longer. Though it is very understandable why they would come out.

njnets88
03-19-2009, 03:51 PM
oj mayo showed he may not have even needed college at all

JayW_1023
03-19-2009, 03:59 PM
Michael Beasley could've used one more year of college to mature.

superkegger
03-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Michael Beasley could've used one more year of college to mature.

I disagree. I think if he were on pretty much any other team but Miami right now, we'd be calling him ROY. Of the top 12 rookie scorer's, he's 5th, while playing the least minutes of all of those 12. Other than Rudy Fernandez and fellow teammate Mario Chalmers, the rest are on losing teams. Spoelstra just refuses to play beasley at the 3. IMO, Beasley absolutely did not need another year of college, if he even needed college at all.

dgreat5000
03-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Marvin williams should have def. Stayed another year. Anthony randolph n tyrus thomas should have stayed

Shavolik randolph- duke
Josh mcroberts - duke
Donte green- cuse

the unknown
03-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Gerald Green for use could have used 2-3 years..
Eddy Curry maybe 2 years..(potential could be the 2-3 best center in the nba)
Sebass telfizal
kwane brown for sure

Sevilla91
03-19-2009, 04:19 PM
dont forget about darius washington, dude came out too early now his in the d-league

vick27m
03-19-2009, 04:20 PM
melo

superkegger
03-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Marvin williams should have def. Stayed another year. Anthony randolph n tyrus thomas should have stayed

Shavolik randolph- duke
Josh mcroberts - duke
Donte green- cuse

Shavlik Randolph came out early?

Anyway, Marvin was wise to come out when he did I think. Maybe not for the overall development of his game, but had he stayed when the rest of those guys left, he may not have been looked so favorably on. He went to high as it was, because atlanta is stupid, but he and all those other UNC'ers came out at the right time, just like the florida kids who won back to back.

superkegger
03-19-2009, 04:24 PM
melo

:confused:

He won a National Championship and is a great player. How did he come out too early?

NANDOKNICK
03-19-2009, 04:27 PM
voted for him come to mind...
What school did Gallanari go to ?
You dont get paid in college so if you hav ethe talent why allow colleges to exploit your talent after USA is all about money..
In God we trust all others pay cash.
Why should Carmelo stay at Syracuse at ZERO pay
when he can make money in the NBA...Do you work for FREE???

superkegger
03-19-2009, 04:32 PM
You dont get paid in college so if you hav ethe talent why allow colleges to exploit your talent after USA is all about money..

:confused:

wtf?

bleedprple&gold
03-19-2009, 04:32 PM
oj mayo showed he may not have even needed college at all

Mayo only went to college because the nba rules forbid him from coming straight from high school

bleedprple&gold
03-19-2009, 04:35 PM
kwane brown for sure

Yes Kwame could have definitely used college but for his own sake he was better off not going to college because I think if he went he would have been exposed and might not have been drafted at all...

IDB Josh M
03-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Kobe Bryant. Not so much because of basketball, but because Kobe is a very intelligent person. Ironically, I feel he is wasted talent and could have done alot of good things with a college degree.

I pick brains over brawn anyday.

Ollie Tabooger
03-19-2009, 08:09 PM
kwame brown fa sho. He would definitely be a better player and have a lot more brains

miller
03-19-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm tempted to say Marbury. It could have helped mature him a lot more and become a better leader. This would have helped him achieve his potential in my opinion. At his peak he was very good but a few more years at Georgia Tech might have moulded him into a better leader who could make his team mates better.

Others
Kwame Brown
Eddy Curry
in fact most centers who went straight from High school to the NBA

IBleedPurple
03-19-2009, 09:45 PM
JR Smith

cmoneytakemoney
03-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Sebastian Telfair should have went to school for at least 2 years. Kedrick Brown should have transfered from that junior college to a division 1 school for a few years. Joseph Forte came out way too early. I'm thinking Greg Oden should have stayed in college. I thought Kevin Love was making a mistake but, I've been following him since Al Jefferson went down and he definitely belongs.

Kakaroach
03-19-2009, 10:18 PM
Telfair and Oden are the most obvious. J.R. Smith, C.J. Miles, and Kwame Brown also come to mind.

extreme k.closs
03-19-2009, 10:29 PM
even though he is very good now gerald wallace could have used another year or two in college. It would have taken him less time to develop

Johann
03-19-2009, 10:33 PM
reddick??

Sportfan
03-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Gerald Green he had a lot of potential and IMO had he gone to the right college he couldve been a superstar in this league

SeoulBeatz
03-19-2009, 10:38 PM
well ill list players that should have gone/ should have stayed longer

Oden
Telfair
Webster
Marvin Williams
Shawne Williams
Gerald Green
Julian Wright
Robert Swift
Saer Sene
Johan Petro
Patrick O'Bryant
Anthony Randolph
Dorrell Wright
Deandre Jordan
Donte Green

superkegger
03-19-2009, 10:40 PM
reddick??

umm, he played 4 years of college ball. I'm sure he'd love to stay in college though.

kayface
03-19-2009, 10:41 PM
Corey Maggette.. he came out of duke as a freshman i believe. As for Shavlik Randolph i dont think it would have matter when he came out, he left as a junior which was the only year he actually played because he wasnt being plagued by injuries.

Sportfan
03-19-2009, 10:41 PM
reddick??

He came out as a senior

Sportfan
03-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Corey Maggette.. he came out of duke as a freshman i believe. As for Shavlik Randolph i dont think it would have matter when he came out, he left as a junior which was the only year he actually played because he wasnt being plagued by injuries.

Maggette still puts up what 20 ppg? He really hasn't been bust

IRUAM #21
03-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Definitely Dorell Wright

NYMetros
03-19-2009, 11:00 PM

:laugh: WTF?

Chicagofaithful
03-19-2009, 11:35 PM
tyrus and deandre definitely.... its mostly big men they dont develop their post moves cuz in college they can out jump everyone. Emeka maybe.. although he tore it up his rookie year. ADAM MORRISON hahaha although idk how much time could have made him better lol

what54!?
03-19-2009, 11:50 PM
Definitely Dorell Wrightyes he should have went to college. Then most of us heat fans wouldn't call him a bust

nolin
03-20-2009, 01:06 AM
omar cook

ESaady
03-20-2009, 01:34 AM
Christ Taft should have stayed a couple of more years at Pitt

pete_one
03-20-2009, 01:41 AM
all young ballers who are greedy for quick money instead of securing an education and a career - if they are only concerned about the money, they'll just bum out once they get drafted, but real players are passionate about the game and go to college to refine their skills, but there are exceptions

what54!?
03-20-2009, 01:49 AM
all young ballers who are greedy for quick money instead of securing an education and a career - if they are only concerned about the money, they'll just bum out once they get drafted, but real players are passionate about the game and go to college to refine their skills, but there are exceptionstrue but some players are really NBA ready after high school (not many, but some) and some are after a year or two in college. Second lets face it, not every college athlete is really in college for the education part.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-20-2009, 02:13 AM

Robin Lopez
Koufos
Donte Greene
Deandre Jordan
Bill Walker
Conley
Brandan Wright
Julian Wright
Javaris Crittendon
Daquean Cook
Josh McRoberts
Shawne Williams
Daniel Gibson
Martell Webster
Gerald Green

Marvin Williams
Patrick Obryant
Tyrus Thomas
Robert Swift
Telfair?
Dorrel Wright

Good list.

I would like to add JJ Hickson. I see him quite often being a Cavalier fan, and he really has a lot to learn. He just doesn't understand the importance of little things like boxing out. (just giving one example)

blackjack_119
03-20-2009, 02:40 AM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Mike Conley. PG is the hardest position to learn... he should have stayed a couple more seasons.

SunsBolts7
03-20-2009, 03:05 AM

Robin Lopez
Koufos
Donte Greene
Deandre Jordan
Bill Walker
Conley
Brandan Wright
Julian Wright
Javaris Crittendon
Daquean Cook
Josh McRoberts
Shawne Williams
Daniel Gibson
Martell Webster
Gerald Green

Marvin Williams
Patrick Obryant
Tyrus Thomas
Robert Swift
Telfair?
Dorrel Wright

Robin Lopez was a senior at Stanford. He's just not any good. haha

DreamShaker
03-20-2009, 12:45 PM

Lopez was a Sophmore....

Frankiest
03-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Andrew Bynum should havewent to college. He would have been some where between 1-3 if he developed more offence in college ecpecially in the post. I think hes going to be a good player but could have used more time to develop efore coming out.

juggla53
03-20-2009, 01:13 PM
Kobe Bryant. Not so much because of basketball, but because Kobe is a very intelligent person. Ironically, I feel he is wasted talent and could have done alot of good things with a college degree.

I pick brains over brawn anyday.

Hes one of the most recognizable athletes in the world, has more money then god, and has 3 rings.... ill trade a college degree for that any day of the week

extreme k.closs
03-20-2009, 01:18 PM
marbury came out too early. He could've used another 9 months in the womb

sixers247
03-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Adam Morrison shoulda stayed for twelve years so he actually could actually look like he was in anyway decent at basketball

hotdogbun
03-20-2009, 01:50 PM
kwame brown

sp1derm00
03-20-2009, 01:58 PM
As weird as this sounds, am I'm glad he didn't... Kobe should have gone to college.

I'm glad he's a Laker, but his first two years were spent mostly on the bench. If he had played a year of college ball before he came into the NBA, I'm sure he would have had amazing first year numbers and better overall career numbers. He probably would have gone to another team though, so I'm glad he didn't... but definitely, Kobe. I don't think he wasn't ready for NBA ball, he just didn't get the minutes.

DrDEADalready
03-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Man just by reading the thread title I thought this was goingto be about. something on Gay players.

xanderyear
03-20-2009, 02:15 PM
JO should have gone to college.

Bucsfan
03-20-2009, 04:26 PM
CJ Miles, should have at least gone to college

bleedprple&gold
03-20-2009, 04:57 PM
Man just by reading the thread title I thought this was goingto be about. something on Gay players.

Lol how many openly gay players are there in the nba past or present? The only one I can think of is John Amaechi. And if you are gay, how do you come out too early? lol

Wake's Fastball
03-20-2009, 05:05 PM
JO should have gone to college.

Just making sure I'm understanding you right... Jermaine O'Neal? Really? He was one of the league's better centers for most of this decade. He'd probably still be up there if it weren't for his balky knees, which can't be attributed at all to not going to college.

DaJuan Wagner is the poster boy for this thread.

TheShock45
03-20-2009, 05:09 PM
listen sean may was a late 1st round early 2nd round pick can we not call him a bust its not his fault

the ONLY reason charlotte took him was because they were trying to draw fans

its why they didnt trade up for dwight howard, its why they took adam morrison and its why they took sean may it all has to do with them wanting fans to come early

superkegger
03-20-2009, 05:14 PM

Lopez was a Sophmore....

this

More shats!
03-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Gerald Green

Johann
03-20-2009, 05:22 PM
He came out as a senior

shoulda come out as an old man, if hed be a better player

PhillyLuver
03-20-2009, 05:55 PM
Man I cannot believe nobody said John Amaechi.

Probably DeAndre Jordan

blacknell
03-20-2009, 06:35 PM
joseph forte

DerekRE_3
03-20-2009, 06:54 PM
Just making sure I'm understanding you right... Jermaine O'Neal? Really? He was one of the league's better centers for most of this decade. He'd probably still be up there if it weren't for his balky knees, which can't be attributed at all to not going to college.

Yeah Wagner probably should have stayed but I think he also had a couple serious injuries which definitely didn't help.

Brandan Wright should have stayed another year or two at North Carolina. You can't really blame him though, he was the #8 pick, and his stock could have fallen (like Hibbert's did) if he stayed. That's the thing with a lot of guys, they are afraid the hype will disappear if they go another year or two, so they try to leave when their hype is at it's peak.

dre1990
03-20-2009, 07:20 PM
Donte Greene, Bill Walker, and Kevin Love

superkegger
03-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Why Kevin Love, he's been playing great this year. He's shown he belongs in the NBA just as much as any other rookie.

DerekRE_3
03-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Why Kevin Love, he's been playing great this year. He's shown he belongs in the NBA just as much as any other rookie.

Love is the best power forward in his class right now.

dre1990
03-20-2009, 08:24 PM

Yes, But I think it would of helped his game to stay at UCLA for an extra year

dolfan720
03-20-2009, 08:35 PM
chamers didnt come out too early

Nighthawk
03-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Would staying in school actually make them better??? Would going to college make Kobe better??? KG?? Bron???? I know i know, get over it..

DerekRE_3
03-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Yes, But I think it would of helped his game to stay at UCLA for an extra year

I don't see how, his game is all about intelligence and fundamentals. I think he learned all he could at the college level. The next step for him is learning about the NBA game.

xanderyear
03-21-2009, 01:52 AM

Maybe you've forgotten that he got almost no playing time in the league before he came to the Pacers. Even when the trade was pulled off, most didn't like it because we gave up Davis for an unproven player who was looking more and more like a bust. If he had gone to college, even for a year, he might have been a completely different player.

THE_FLASH_21
03-21-2009, 02:01 AM
Telfair.... Would of been a huge star!!

JayW_1023
03-22-2009, 08:02 AM
I disagree. I think if he were on pretty much any other team but Miami right now, we'd be calling him ROY. Of the top 12 rookie scorer's, he's 5th, while playing the least minutes of all of those 12. Other than Rudy Fernandez and fellow teammate Mario Chalmers, the rest are on losing teams. Spoelstra just refuses to play beasley at the 3. IMO, Beasley absolutely did not need another year of college, if he even needed college at all.

He was supposed to provide exactly what the Heat needed...someone who would relieve some offensive pressure off Wade. But he showed he has alot of maturing to do...especially in terms of doing the little things, play a lick of defense and take good shots.

ELEVATION23
03-22-2009, 10:03 AM
How 'bout Joseph Forte from the University of North Carolina..he had an awesome college career and entered the draft after his sophmore year..went to the NBA and wasa bust

UofA
03-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Tyrus Thomas, Mike Conley Jr.

Steelers12
03-22-2009, 11:03 AM
Darius Miles

chitownbulls
03-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Tyson Chandler, Tyrus Thomas, Kwame Brown

aWiLL 20
03-24-2009, 06:32 PM
lebron james. he needed to go to college to work on his size and strength. his jump shot was nba ready, but he's just too scrawny...maybe someday he will take hgh or something to actually put on some muscle...

IrespectNumber3
03-24-2009, 06:34 PM
lebron james. he needed to go to college to work on his size and strength. his jump shot was nba ready, but he's just too scrawny...maybe someday he will take hgh or something to actually put on some muscle...

Who are you talking about?

aWiLL 20
03-24-2009, 06:38 PM
lebron james, obviously

JayW_1023
03-24-2009, 07:21 PM

If you call 6'9 and 270 pounds scrawny you need your head turned 360 degrees...

Oh wait, you post was humorously meant right...jeez now I feel stoopid...

aWiLL 20
03-24-2009, 10:06 PM
lol, it was a joke guys :)