PDA

View Full Version : Big Trades that almost went down ...

JordansBulls
03-19-2009, 01:01 PM
What were some big trades in NBA History that almost went down but didn't happen?

Here were a few:

In 2005 their was a rumor of the Pistons trading Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace and a pick for Kevin Garnett.

The Bulls were going to trade Scottie Pippen for Tracy McGrady back in 1997 but MJ threatened to retire if they did it.

In 1999 the Bulls were going to trade Pippen for Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell.

1984: Ralph Sampson for Clyde Drexler and the second overall pick. (2nd overall pick would have been Jordan as the Rockets would have taken Jordan considering they selected Hakeem 1st)

The Magic offered Tracy McGrady to Phoenix for Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson

Suns offered Marion and Kidd in 2000 for Kobe Bryant

Bulls offered Chandler, Deng and #2 for Garnett

Lakers in 2007 were going to trade Andrew Bynum or Jason Kidd

$ NyC $
03-19-2009, 01:07 PM
That trade in 84' woulda been historic. Just imagine Hakeem teamed with Jordan. They would make 6 look dumb.

VCaintdead17
03-19-2009, 01:10 PM
That would of been interesting if they Bulls acquired Tmac in '97.

braveniler58
03-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Don't forget the Marion to boston and KG to Phoenix trade.

what54!?
03-19-2009, 01:42 PM
What were some big trades in NBA History that almost went down but didn't happen?

Here were a few:

In 2005 their was a rumor of the Pistons trading Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace and a pick for Kevin Garnett.

The Bulls were going to trade Scottie Pippen for Tracy McGrady back in 1997 but MJ threatened to retire if they did it.

In 1999 the Bulls were going to trade Pippen for Eddie Jones and Elden Campbell.

1984: Ralph Sampson for Clyde Drexler and the second overall pick. (2nd overall pick would have been Jordan as the Rockets would have taken Jordan considering they selected Hakeem 1st)

Lakers in 2007 were going to trade Andrew Bynum or Jason Kiddthat would have been a crazy dynasty right there. Hakeem and MJ? :pity:

pacofunk64
03-19-2009, 01:50 PM
I thought I remembered a Pippen for Shawn Kemp once. I think it was the 2 year span Jordan was retired.

theuuord
03-19-2009, 01:53 PM
The Nets wanted Bynum in any deal for Kidd but the Lakers wouldn't do it. Seems to have worked out for the better for both teams; although Bynum is injured he's still more valuable long-term than Kidd, and the Nets have both Devin Harris and Brook Lopez at those two positions now.

JordansBulls
03-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Don't forget the Marion to boston and KG to Phoenix trade.

Or the KG for Amare deal.

kv9588
03-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Lakers were seriously going after Baron Davis before he ended up going to the warriors for basically nothing. Woulda been a nice upgrade over smush parker.

_Sn1P3r_
03-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Hakeem and MJ?? Damm.

EX-TREME
03-19-2009, 02:12 PM
his air jordan and dream shake :speechless:

thephoenixson28
03-19-2009, 02:21 PM
Don't forget the Marion to boston and KG to Phoenix trade. yep its cuz marion didn't want to sign a 3 year extension with boston. Imagine that
KG-C
Amare stoudemire-PF
Grant hill- SF
Raja bell- SG
Steve nash- PG
= championship

MadeInDade3589
03-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Dirk and Nash for Shaq before he got traded to Miami

theimortalone
03-19-2009, 02:40 PM

What? :confused:

The Answer3
03-19-2009, 02:52 PM
I thought I remembered a Pippen for Shawn Kemp once. I think it was the 2 year span Jordan was retired.

Yup, the rumors came up before the '95 trade deadline if I'm not mistaken. If that would've happened, I don't think it would've worked out well. I don't see Kemp fitting in the triangle. If that happens, Rodman probably wouldn't have been acquired. He might've considering they only gave up Will Perdue for him. Not too mention, Kemp was injury prone and a bit foul prone. He was a beast though, can't deny that. His dunk on Lister is one of the GOATs.

The Lakers almost traded Worthy for Mark Aguirre in either '86 or '87.

bostonrules37
03-19-2009, 02:59 PM
a couple years ago the celtics looked into trading Paul peirce , another player and a couple of high draft picks for kobe bryant, im kind of glad it never happened.

mrblisterdundee
03-19-2009, 03:02 PM
I can't believe the Suns had Joe Johnson. They trade away more talent than any other team.

raptors_fanatic
03-19-2009, 03:09 PM
that t-mac one seems intresting....

anyways, before the WORST trade in Raptors history went down...there were pretty great offers on the table....VC for A.I (i think a couple of extras in there)
.....but i was more suprised of the Carter for Ray Allen AND R.Lewis!!!

VCaintdead17
03-19-2009, 03:12 PM
I can't believe the Suns had Joe Johnson. They trade away more talent than any other team.

:pity:Wrong. They didn't trade him, he signed with another team in the offseason because the Suns simply did not have enough moeny to get him to come back. And the Marion-Shaq trade was not bad for Phoenix, Marion wanted out and with a contract like his it's practically impossible to trade him, but they got Shaq, who has been terrific as of late.

Think before you type.

showtym24
03-19-2009, 03:13 PM
a couple years ago the celtics looked into trading Paul peirce , another player and a couple of high draft picks for kobe bryant, im kind of glad it never happened.

Me too.:up:

sjbirds
03-19-2009, 03:14 PM
before the sixers run to the finals they tried to trade ai and gieger to the pistons but i forget who they were getting back... matt gieger wouldnt wave his 20% trade kicker so it didnt happen... seems it worked for both teams.. the sixers went to the finals the following year and a couple years later the pistons won it.

thephoenixson28
03-19-2009, 03:24 PM
:pity:Wrong. They didn't trade him, he signed with another team in the offseason because the Suns simply did not have enough moeny to get him to come back. And the Marion-Shaq trade was not bad for Phoenix, Marion wanted out and with a contract like his it's practically impossible to trade him, but they got Shaq, who has been terrific as of late.

Think before you type. they did trade him they signed and traded him. That's how we got boris diaw and atlantas 1st round pick if atlanta would've got the 5th pick instead of the 4th we could've traded marion and that 5th pick for kg. I think it was resticted that's why we didn't get the 4th that's why we wanted it to be the 5th. So it ended being the 22nd I think the next year.

McPeak92
03-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Sixers and Raptors almost pulled off McGrady and a 1st rounder for Larry Hughes but Stephen A. Smith ruined it

sixers almost had Jefferson Telfair and Green for Iverson but wouldn't trade him within the division.

GunFactor187
03-19-2009, 03:48 PM
There was a rumored trade that would have sent our Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Amir Johnson and a 1st rounder to the Lakers for Kobe Bryant to Detroit a few years ago, but Kobe invoked his no-trade clause.

superkegger
03-19-2009, 03:50 PM

Think before you type.

they did trade him they signed and traded him. That's how we got boris diaw and atlantas 1st round pick if atlanta would've got the 5th pick instead of the 4th we could've traded marion and that 5th pick for kg. I think it was resticted that's why we didn't get the 4th that's why we wanted it to be the 5th. So it ended being the 22nd I think the next year.

Yes, Joe was traded for Diaw, the pick that became Rondo (which they then traded) and the pick that became Robin Lopez.

dgreat5000
03-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Sig....tears...

thephoenixson28
03-19-2009, 03:54 PM
Yes, Joe was traded for Diaw, the pick that became Rondo (which they then traded) and the pick that became Robin Lopez. I knew it was something like that.

_Sn1P3r_
03-19-2009, 03:56 PM
that t-mac one seems intresting....

anyways, before the WORST trade in Raptors history went down...there were pretty great offers on the table....VC for A.I (i think a couple of extras in there)
.....but i was more suprised of the Carter for Ray Allen AND R.Lewis!!!

I remember the VC for AI one but Ray Ray and 'Shard?? Wow. Babcock is an idiot!!

BullsNumber1Fan
03-19-2009, 04:35 PM

Think before you type.

:pity:Wrong. He got Sign-and-Traded to Atlanta for Boris Diaw and 2 Picks. Don't point something out and make somebody look bad if YOU are also worng.

You think before you type.

EDIT: And Superkegger already beat me to the punch by stating exactly what I said.

superkegger
03-19-2009, 04:41 PM
:pity:Wrong. He got Sign-and-Traded to Atlanta for Boris Diaw and 2 Picks. Don't point something out and make somebody look bad if YOU are also worng.

You think before you type.

EDIT: And Superkegger already beat me to the punch by stating exactly what I said.

:D Sorry to steal your thunder.

Pretty easy to look up though.

bleedprple&gold
03-19-2009, 04:47 PM

Dirk was never offered for Shaq. The Lakers wanted Dirk and the Mavs declined

da wood
03-19-2009, 05:15 PM
and it wasnt nash because they didn't have nash he was a fre agent and he signed with the sun.

da wood
03-19-2009, 05:17 PM
but i remembered the sun offering us jason kid (back in the day when he had blond hair) to the lakers for nick van excel. and shaq shot that deal down because he didn't think tha kidd could shoot.

da wood
03-19-2009, 05:18 PM
another one that almost happened was back in the day when the lakers almost had hakeem i think it was right after kareem retired like in 90 but that never developed.

JordansBulls
03-19-2009, 05:19 PM
There was a rumored trade that would have sent our Rip Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Amir Johnson and a 1st rounder to the Lakers for Kobe Bryant to Detroit a few years ago, but Kobe invoked his no-trade clause.

Yeah because with a team of Billups and Rasheed that wouldn't have been enough.

da wood
03-19-2009, 05:20 PM
another one was when the lakers almost traded worthy for wilkens back in the day but nique couldn't go left. word on the street was that the trade didn't go down because jerry west said he would retire today if that trade went through.

soundjunkies2
03-19-2009, 05:55 PM
and it wasnt nash because they didn't have nash he was a fre agent and he signed with the sun.

It would of been a sign and trade because the deal would of included Nash,michael finley and the draft pick that would have been devin harris if i remember correct but the lakers wanted dirk.

D Roses Bulls
03-19-2009, 05:56 PM
i remember in 97 the bulls almost traded pippen to the celtics if they would have drafted mcgrady and billups for the bulls but mj called and said if they did that he would retire. so that never happen of course

soundjunkies2
03-19-2009, 06:01 PM

Here were a few:

That was stupid move by the magics,they would of got marion,johnson and the 7th pick in the draft and they already had the #1 pick(D.howard),all that for a Tmac that is now washed up.

JordansBulls
03-19-2009, 09:48 PM
That was stupid move by the magics,they would of got marion,johnson and the 7th pick in the draft and they already had the #1 pick(D.howard),all that for a Tmac that is now washed up.

But at the time T-mac was what 24 years old?

IBleedPurple
03-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Another is Ray Allen for Melo.

George Karl didn't pull the trigger on that one. One of the few smart things he's done.

Rapsjaysleafs
03-19-2009, 10:17 PM
I remember the VC for AI one but Ray Ray and 'Shard?? Wow. Babcock is an idiot!!

Well we did sure get good value for VC......NOT

Any idea who the 2 draft picks we got turned into?
Rafa?

How about Kobe to the bull sin recents days but he wanted to play with Deng in Chicago but the Lakers wanted Deng as part of the deal.
How much would that have changed Chicago?

SDBearsFan
03-20-2009, 04:24 AM
Hakeem and Jordan..

Thats a dream team in itself.

Neely
03-20-2009, 04:47 AM
Those were some crazy potential trades.

todu82
03-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Hakeem and Jordan would have been unbelievable and could have won 10 titles.

jtrinaldi
03-20-2009, 08:41 AM

Here were a few:

whats up with having so many bulls ones?

RelaxedFan
03-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Rockets would have had Jordan, Hakeem and Clyde. It would have only lasted a couple years because of money and egos.

Rockets passed on Clyde in 1983 with the 3rd pick.

BTownTeamsRKing
03-20-2009, 09:07 AM
heres a big one that hardly anyone knows about:

on draft night, the Celtics were dealing with the Hornets in a deal that would have sent Paul Pierce to NO and the 3rd overall pick to Boston. The Celtics were going select Chris Paul with that pick. The Celtics ended the talks and decided that Pierce was more valuable than that to them.

talk about a trade changing EVERYTHING! Celtics wouldnt have banner 17, but they would have:

CP3, FA SG, Jeff Green the next year (Doc was gonna take him before the deal for Ray Ray), Big AL, and Perk.

JordansBulls
03-20-2009, 10:39 AM
heres a big one that hardly anyone knows about:

on draft night, the Celtics were dealing with the Hornets in a deal that would have sent Paul Pierce to NO and the 3rd overall pick to Boston. The Celtics were going select Chris Paul with that pick. The Celtics ended the talks and decided that Pierce was more valuable than that to them.

talk about a trade changing EVERYTHING! Celtics wouldnt have banner 17, but they would have:

CP3, FA SG, Jeff Green the next year (Doc was gonna take him before the deal for Ray Ray), Big AL, and Perk.

Wow, so if that happens the Celtics are the best in the league for like 10 years in the east.

jtrinaldi
03-20-2009, 11:00 AM
i remember something to do with the bucks on draft day and the nuggets when the bucks had the 6th or eighth pick and took tj ford. They would have gotten the #3 pick (melo) for the 6th pick and the pick next year...im pretty sure that we then traded that pick and desmond mason for jamal magliore........and then we drafted bogut the next yr..........ugghhh only if that would have happened

JDMVP
03-20-2009, 11:05 AM
I donīt know if someone posted this already but back in the 1984 draft the Sixers wanted to trade Dr.J to the Bulls for the 3rd pick and they would have used that pick to get Michael Jordan. Imagine that Barkley and Jordan.