PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Cardinals Draft Central

chadillachembre
03-18-2009, 08:31 PM
According to all the major scouts we hear on tv and radio it appears we are going to draft a runningback in the 1st rnd. of the 3 RB's mentioned most, who would you rather have on our roster?

A.) Beanie Wells from Ohio State
B.) Knowshon Moreno from Georgia
C.) Leshawn McCoy from Pitt

If you missed the Cardinals part in the ESPN series, "On the Clock", the link is below

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-6-351/On-The-Clock--Arizona-Cardinals.html

bornFrisco49er
03-19-2009, 02:41 AM
for you guys...beanie wells..but available at 31?

tiramealasarana
03-19-2009, 02:09 PM
I think Knowshon Moreno would be great if he falls to them

sirfreshness
03-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Its not even close Moreno is the best back in the draft, he has the overall package we would want, runs well between the tackles, has enough to turn outside, he has great hands, he is a decent blocker, he is elusive, and he is durable. As a person who grew up in the midwest big 10 backs are disappointments, they come out of college looking better than they are due to the lack of athleticism you would found in the other BCS conferences. Wells has the injury history going against him as well. I cant imagine anyway that Moreno is still there at 31 so its highly unlikely we get him unless we move Quan for a package of draft picks this and next year. If we cant get Moreno I dont see us going RB until the second. Thereare some good 3rd tier RBs who we could get later on much like Hightower last year, guys like Rashad Jennings from Liberty, James Davis from Clemson, or Kory Sheets from Purdue.

When you consider what the Cards did last year in draft, taking best player available, I expect them to look into getting Moreno if not I see them addressing the O-line with the top Center in Mack, or adding some depth on Defense with English, or a DE. The key to the draft is getting the best value from your picks, thats what I expect Wiz and the FO to do. Taking Wells, Brown, or McCoy doesnt maximize our pick value IMO.

chadillachembre
03-19-2009, 03:40 PM
I want to stay as far away from beanie wells as possible. The guy played great in the college ranks but in my eyes he is far too sexi of a pick strictly because he played at a big school and got the most coverage. He could very well prove me wrong but I am hot on Lesean McCoy from Pitt. Pitt had no QB and had no air attack so defenses knew exactly what Pitt was gonna do offensivly and he still torched them. I think Lesean McCoy will become the best back in this draft

sirfreshness
03-19-2009, 05:41 PM
I agree that McCoy is better than Wells. I dont mean to come off as Wells has no place on the football field I just dont think he is worth a first round pick when you can look at the past. Maroney, Mendenhall, Chris Perry, Larry Johnson, TJ Duckett, Ladell Betts, Micheal Bennett, Anthony Thomas, Ron Dayne, Joe Montgomery were all picked in the top 2 rounds and came out of the Big Ten in the last 10 years.

Outside of Larry Johnson, who spent a lot of time behind Preist Holmes complaining, had what I would called a good career even though he is already showing signs of wearing down in his short time as a full time back. Of Course its too early to say Mendenhall was a bust he really didnt get a chance to show off b/c of the injury but he is very similar to McCoy in terms of where their stocks stood going into the draft. Then again if you look the next 3 RBs taken were Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, and Ray Rice all of them contributed more in their rookie campaign with Johnson and Forte looking like long-term starters at the least.

I just dont see the value in Wells when we could get an immediate impact player in English, the top TE in Pettigrew, or an out of this world Center in Mack. All which would demand less money.

jd_azsportsfan
03-20-2009, 01:00 AM
i want mccoy if he's there if not take alex mack of cal because we need a center that dosn't step on kurt warners foot every other play lol

bornFrisco49er
03-20-2009, 01:35 AM
moreno could fall to 31

Willy T Justice
03-20-2009, 07:46 AM
Go with best D fense player in the draft. A running back can be had in the later rounds. remember we only run about 20 times a game.

sirfreshness
03-20-2009, 10:20 AM
i want mccoy if he's there if not take alex mack of cal because we need a center that dosn't step on kurt warners foot every other play lol

I just dont like the overall package McCoy has showed, his excuse for the combine was he had the "flu" but he put up average at best results at his pro day, didnt lift well, both his vert and broad jumps were short, he didnt but up a great 40 (not nessecarilly bad). Everything I have read says that he didnt do anything exceptional and is seen as the 4th best RB behind Brown now. I just dont see Wiz and the FO settling on the 4th best RB who has tested avg. at best when there will be at least 1 top flight defensive player sitting there, more than likley Pettigrew, and Alex Mack. If we are set in taking a RB with our first pick and Moreno isnt there I would prefer we just moved down and took one in the 2nd.

And yes we dont run much now but Warner is still a complete injury risk, and once he is gone Wiz is turning us into his Pittsburgh offense we will need a beast in the backfield it will make Leinarts job a lot easier.

sirfreshness
03-20-2009, 10:52 AM
For the record McCoy ran a 4.5 40, only jumped 29' vertical, 8'10" broad jump, and only put up 225 17 times.

chadillachembre
03-20-2009, 03:36 PM
^I hear what your saying and it is something to raise or cause concern I've always believed the combine and all of the extra stuff is far over rated. The bottom line is if the kid can play football. We got your boy Q in the 2nd rnd because be had a poor outing at the combine with a week 40. Itll be interesting to see who's available at that pick. Draft Day is going to be a big day for the Cardinals

TheRedMarauder
04-07-2009, 12:13 PM
Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers considers running back the team's No. 1 priority entering the draft.

Somers calls the possibility of Edgerrin James returning "remote," and believes Arizona "needs to add some speed." The Cards will likely hope that Donald Brown or Knowshon Moreno falls to them at the No. 31 overall pick.

rotoworld

JoAc
04-08-2009, 10:21 AM
2009 NFL mock draft

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/user_mock_drafts.cfm?mock_id=12860

krazytaz312
04-17-2009, 10:45 AM
I want to stay as far away from beanie wells as possible. The guy played great in the college ranks but in my eyes he is far too sexi of a pick strictly because he played at a big school and got the most coverage. He could very well prove me wrong but I am hot on Lesean McCoy from Pitt. Pitt had no QB and had no air attack so defenses knew exactly what Pitt was gonna do offensivly and he still torched them. I think Lesean McCoy will become the best back in this draft

I agree about staying away from Wells, I doubt that he would be around at 31anyway. He has talent but he is also prone to the injury bug and that does not bode well for a 1st rounder, especially someone that is supposed to be your every down player. I would eagerly take either of the other two backs, without hesitation. I think one thing we need to watch that could effect this whole situation is how the Boldin situation plays out. Going to be a GREAT draft to watch on TV and I can't wait.

Travis23
04-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I think Moreno and Wells will both be gone by pick #31, so I think the Cards should go with Brown because he would be a good contrast to Tim Hightower and is a good all around and the second best all around player in the draft.

nashty13
04-21-2009, 11:46 AM
knowshon may have the most talent, but I think Beanie would fit us better. He's physical and can block better, and he can run over people since our run protection is garbage

chadillachembre
04-21-2009, 01:01 PM
I would like to see us nail Leshawn McCoy in the 2nd rnd. I think the dude is going to be a huge sleeper if he is in the right role. I wouldn't be unhappy with getting the Mack Attack at center in the 1st. It all hinges on the Boldin situation

itsontheway.phx
04-21-2009, 02:03 PM
trade up get knowson. there was talk at work about the lions giving the number 1 and the number 20 to the cards for boldin, lienhart and the 31st. is it true, or has anyone heard anything

desertrat218
04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
According to all the major scouts we hear on tv and radio it appears we are going to draft a runningback in the 1st rnd. of the 3 RB's mentioned most, who would you rather have on our roster?

A.) Beanie Wells from Ohio State
B.) Knowshon Moreno from Georgia
C.) Leshawn McCoy from Pitt

If you missed the Cardinals part in the ESPN series, "On the Clock", the link is below

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation/0-6-351/On-The-Clock--Arizona-Cardinals.html

I would pick Moreno over any RB in the draft.

TheRedMarauder
04-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Speaking on ESPN News, Pedro Gomez reports that the Cardinals have their eye on Knowshon Moreno.

One scenario has the Cardinals using the booty from a potential Anquan Boldin trade to move up to the middle of the first round to draft Moreno. It's a mortal lock that Arizona will address their starting running back situation this weekend.

rotoworld