PDA

View Full Version : Players That Are Stuck At Their Position

VCaintdead17
03-18-2009, 12:27 PM
As most people know, there are some incredibly versatile players in the league that can play multiple positions, i.e. Shawn Marion, Lamar Odom, Tmac ect. But what players do you think can strictly only play one position. For me, two names that come to mind are Carlos Boozer, he is too undersized to play center but not fast enough to play small forward.And Jamal Crawford, again to undersized to play the 3, but does not really have the passing skills to play point.

Who do you think is "stuck" at their position?

nyybronxborn
03-18-2009, 12:43 PM
dwight howard
yao ming
shaq

Becks2307
03-18-2009, 12:44 PM
yao ming

b_rad23
03-18-2009, 12:46 PM
dwight howard
yao ming
shaq

Lol you think Dwight can't play PF?

Anyways, Boozer is a good one, Millsap probably is another. Yao is obvious. Ben Gordon is pretty stuck. The same could be said for Nate Robinson or AI (I know they both spend time at 1 and 2 but really are only effective as 2s, but are too short to permenantly play the 2 so are stuck without a position).

Wrightw/Reyes19
03-18-2009, 12:47 PM
Kendrick Perkins

nyybronxborn
03-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Anyways, Boozer is a good one, Millsap probably is another. Yao is obvious. Ben Gordon is pretty stuck. The same could be said for Nate Robinson or AI (I know they both spend time at 1 and 2 but really are only effective as 2s, but are too short to permenantly play the 2 so are stuck without a position).

depends who the pf is , if it a guy that runs up and down the coart well then you are taking away his best abilty and that is to clog the middle

b_rad23
03-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Right but if you had Shaq on your team he could concievably be one of the best PFs in the league. It's not like he's incapable.

SJSHARKIES
03-18-2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah Dwight Howard can play PF, he is fast and athletic enough to do so.

Mr. Fluffi
03-18-2009, 01:44 PM
I'd add Nash and Kidd. Don't think they can play the two well.

DerekRE_3
03-18-2009, 01:45 PM
DJ Augustin can only be a PG, since he's 5'11 in shoes.

DerekRE_3
03-18-2009, 02:04 PM
this is a dumb topic, no professional athlete in any sport is stuck at any position. If I was jerry sloan and I said "hey boozer, go guard Lebron," he would do it. Position isn't even real if you think about it. Where you play only matters on defense. Using a tall lineup for instance that includes , Yao , Shaq, Dwight , Joakim Noah, Lamar Odom, would not make Yao attempt to play like Ray Allen. Everyone has their comforts , ask ben wallace about position, when he was cut by the Celtics as a small forward yet was an All-Star at center for the Pistons, but now is a power forward for the cavs. I am sure the different positions has really altered his playing style, dingus.

If by defend you mean get blown by for dunks....then sure.

b_rad23
03-18-2009, 02:09 PM
I'd add Nash and Kidd. Don't think they can play the two well.

Kidd is 6'4", I think he could hypothetically be a decent 2 if paired with a scoring PG like B-Diddy or Devin Harris.

theuuord
03-18-2009, 02:13 PM
Chris Paul.

alexander_37
03-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Nate Robinson.

eugene
03-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Ray Allen is undersized for 3 and has no passing skills for 1... Ilgauskas and Mutombo can play the only position.

Strumpy
03-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Remember when the Heat tried to force Wade to be strictly a 2-guard early in his career?

I know this may be a shocker, but I think Melo is stuck at the 3. I think he's just an inch and a dozen pounds from playing both the 3 and 4.

VCaintdead17
03-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I kinda think Wade is stuck at the two. He might be able to pull of being a small forward, but I don't think he would be as dominating. Also, Wade at point guard? ewwww

Fly_High
03-18-2009, 03:01 PM
odom

b_rad23
03-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I kinda think Wade is stuck at the two. He might be able to pull of being a small forward, but I don't think he would be as dominating. Also, Wade at point guard? ewwww

He plays some SF in lineups with Cook and Chalmers. He also plays PG for almost the entire 4th usually. He's at his best at PG, then SG then SF. Not sure why you said eww, he dominates.

wwwhat
03-18-2009, 03:46 PM

I guess you don't watch the Heat but D-Wade as a rookie was our PG.

MTone8788
03-18-2009, 04:10 PM
odom

Odom? Do you watch basketball? He can bring the ball up as a point forward, and he can be small forward or power forward.

TYoung21
03-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Thad Young is stuck at the 4.

MTone8788
03-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Thad Young is stuck at the 4.

I think this thread is intended for players who literally are only fit for one position, rather than being stuck at a certain position because of the circumstances of the team...

Because Thad can play 3 and 4..

Ollie Tabooger
03-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Earl Boykins. Aaron Brooks can play any position

ReymanEjazzfan
03-18-2009, 06:08 PM
this is a dumb topic, no professional athlete in any sport is stuck at any position. If I was jerry sloan and I said "hey boozer, go guard Lebron," he would do it. Position isn't even real if you think about it. Where you play only matters on defense. Using a tall lineup for instance that includes , Yao , Shaq, Dwight , Joakim Noah, Lamar Odom, would not make Yao attempt to play like Ray Allen. Everyone has their comforts , ask ben wallace about position, when he was cut by the Celtics as a small forward yet was an All-Star at center for the Pistons, but now is a power forward for the cavs. I am sure the different positions has really altered his playing style, dingus.

hahahaha Boozer doesnt even play any freaking defense in the first place theres no way hes gonna be able to guard lebron!LOL BOOZER and millsap are most effective at PF and thats it. AI and NATE are undersized 2 guards, they cant play point.

tdunk21
03-18-2009, 06:08 PM
bynum

jimbobjarree
03-18-2009, 06:10 PM
it depends who their guarding, If Booz and Millsap were on the floor together against two other undersized players, lets say against the Cavs Varejao and Big Ben then one could easily play center

alexander_37
03-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Earl Boykins. Aaron Brooks can play any position

Aaron Brooks could play center if he wanted to .... he is easily the best athlete of the century.

greg_ory_2005
03-18-2009, 06:34 PM
Aaron Brooks could play center if he wanted to .... he is easily the best athlete of the century.

No doubt.

Chronz
03-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Natural Centers are the only ones who are utterly incapable of passing off as any other position. Everyone else can atleast get away with being out of position.

DerekRE_3
03-18-2009, 06:42 PM
No doubt.

Speaking of best athletes in the country....Sean Mayne. :drool:

IBleedPurple
03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Shaq, Nate Robinson, Yao, Ray Allen

IBleedPurple
03-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Natural Centers are the only ones who are utterly incapable of passing off as any other position. Everyone else can atleast get away with being out of position.

What about guys like Nate Robinson or Earl Boykins (not in NBA this year)???

You think they could play SG?

alexander_37
03-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Shaq, Nate Robinson, Yao, Ray Allen

Ray Allen could play a lil PG or SF to spell someone else not a full game maybe half a Q though.

Chronz
03-18-2009, 07:05 PM
What about guys like Nate Robinson or Earl Boykins (not in NBA this year)???

You think they could play SG?

Well Boykins played in the same backcourt as Andre Miller, he was the scoring guard on offense and guarded the lesser offensive threat on defense, does that count?

Nate plays the majority of his minutes alongside another PG in Duhon. Would you consider Duhon the SG even though he looks to set up and Nate does the scoring. Depends on how you classify positions I guess, but in cases like Shaq or Dampier if they are playing next to another true Center there is very little chance of those 2 working harmoniously, too slow and not mobile enough. Thats why a twin towers is so dangerous when you find two athletes that can compliment eachothers game so well you have a great foundation but when you just have 2 tall centers out there you just have another Ewing and Cartwright (Think it was him??)

b_rad23
03-18-2009, 11:08 PM
I would say Haslem but he's played center. He sucks though.

SteveNash
03-18-2009, 11:14 PM

Hakeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson?

Chronz
03-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Hakeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson?

Were both capable of playing PF, Dream was allegedly 6"10 and with catlike quicks/reflexes, and Sampson actually thrived in the high post. Alonzo and Shaq in Miami or Ewing and whatshisface were basically what I was thinking, guys who cant play alongside other natural centers. But I have a feeling you got a point to make that Im not picking up on.

BUCSFORLIFE123
03-18-2009, 11:46 PM
sean may can play any position

stevec6
03-18-2009, 11:49 PM

ai is too small to be effective at sg but doesnt have a position yet is one of the best of all time? well top 50 at least

SteveNash
03-19-2009, 12:02 AM
Were both capable of playing PF, Dream was allegedly 6"10 and with catlike quicks/reflexes, and Sampson actually thrived in the high post. Alonzo and Shaq in Miami or Ewing and whatshisface were basically what I was thinking, guys who cant play alongside other natural centers. But I have a feeling you got a point to make that Im not picking up on.

I don't know what you mean by natural center.

Both would have likely played center their entire careers had they not landed on the same team together. And tons of centers are capable of playing PF.

Alonzo and Shaq did play on the court together for brief periods of time in Miami.

Ewing and Cartwright didn't work, but both could hit jumpshots (maybe pushing it a little, but Cartwright could hit them better than Shaq and Zo) it's just that Ewing was lazy and didn't want to defend PFs.

Kyle N.
03-19-2009, 01:49 AM

Do NOT insult Mike James!!!!!!!! :mad:

KG2TB
03-19-2009, 02:08 AM
There's tons of players who are 'stuck' at their position. Maybe not necessarily stuck but would be extremely ineffective at any other position. Most of those players are PG's and C's. Shaq and Dwight Howard playing PF is a pretty funny concept. At least for a whole game...or whole season. PF's need to have at least somewhat of a jump shot.

Jason Kidd
Shaq
Dwight
Rondo
Tyrus Thomas

Are all players that come to mind that are pretty stuck. Most players can get away with playing out of position AT TIMES during games...but if you're talking about playing out of position for a whole game or multiple games...there's a lot of players who would fail.

hXc.NightMare
03-19-2009, 02:43 AM
Most Centers Arnt really Quick enoug to go guard a Versitle PF, but ik shaq and ZO played along side for a bit in Miami,

id Say YAO is just terrible in general i think hes the worst thing to ever exist hes and embarrassment to life, the dude is like 7'5 extends his arms hes what 2 inches from rim.. and hes getting DUNKED on steadily and not to mention missed 2 dunks recently.. SAD

YAO SUCK AT LIFE.. but yea stuck

Chronz
03-19-2009, 02:48 AM
I don't know what you mean by natural center.
Guys who play solely in the paint, big wide body slow guys. Think of a team that had Dampier and Shaq on the same team, they couldnt play together and neither one could play the 4.

Alonzo and Shaq did play on the court together for brief periods of time in Miami.
By brief you mean twice throughout their entire stay, once in the regular season and once in the playoffs, I think both times were against the Pistons. They really never played together, trust me I was rooting hard for them once they clicked up, remember our bet? I always thought they couldve worked but they never got time together, I asked alot of people and they all said because theyre both natural centers, in his prime Zo couldve slid down to the 4 but at that stage in his career was strictly an undersized 5, robbed of his quickness to still dominate offensively.

Ewing and Cartwright didn't work, but both could hit jumpshots (maybe pushing it a little, but Cartwright could hit them better than Shaq and Zo) it's just that Ewing was lazy and didn't want to defend PFs.

Yea but they braught out the worst in eachother, Ewing needed that rugged PF to do all the dirty work and so did Bill. But I guess that has more to do with contrasting styles than them both being natural C's. Either way did you have any examples of players pertaining to the topic or did you just want to **** with me?

JJ81
03-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Shaq and Yao.

_Sn1P3r_
03-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Shaq / Yao

mrblisterdundee
03-19-2009, 06:07 PM
The centers stuck at their positions are Chandler, Yao, Shaquille, Dwight, and most other guys over seven feet and not named Dirk or Pau.

VCaintdead17
03-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Dwight is not over seven foot and actually played power forward early in his career dude.

jimbobjarree
03-22-2009, 08:43 PM
I know it was only against the Thunder, but Millsap and Boozer played the a lot of minutes together at PF and C and got something like 35 points and 17 rebounds...shows they arent too stuck at their positions..I kinda hope we try it again