PDA

View Full Version : Did Joe Johnson make a mistake signing with Atlanta

JordansBulls
03-18-2009, 11:53 AM
Previous Thread on this 2 years ago (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87473&highlight=Johnson)

We had a previous thread on this around 2 years ago, but what are your thoughts now on the situation seeing how things have gone for both franchises.

Did Joe Johnson make a mistake signing with Atlanta? Would Phoenix be any better with Joe Johnson now?

Boston Faithful
03-18-2009, 12:14 PM
I think this is an obvious no.

Atlanta is on pace to win nearly 50 games and he's the leader of the team. Much better off than being the fourth option on a Suns team (he would probably be the second option now).

VCaintdead17
03-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Well obviously the Suns championship hopes might of been answered had Johnson stayed around, but, I don't think he would of been the all-star franchise player he is today. There were just too many stars in Phoenix with Nash, Amare and Matrix. So I think it was a good decision, to get his name heard by signing with the Hawks

tdunk21
03-18-2009, 12:19 PM
he it to the made the all star team dint he...but his chances of getting close to conference finals or championship were more in phoenix compared to atlanta coz of nash....

La11
03-18-2009, 12:20 PM
no why would he. The question is did the suns make the mistake of not signing him? If sarver wasn't the owner how good do you think they would have been?

lakerboy
03-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Thinks are looking better for ATL than Phoenix. Why would it be a mistake? Not to mention, he's making tons of more money.

superkegger
03-18-2009, 12:40 PM
Previous Thread on this 2 years ago (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87473&highlight=Johnson)

We had a previous thread on this around 2 years ago, but what are your thoughts now on the situation seeing how things have gone for both franchises.

Did Joe Johnson make a mistake signing with Atlanta? Would Phoenix be any better with Joe Johnson now?

Threads like that make me cringe. I'm always afraid I might have said something that ended up being totally wrong. This was not one of those cases though.

Better money and a bigger role is what he left for. Look where Atlanta is now and look where Phoenix is now. Joe absolutely made the right decision. Call if incredible foresight on his part, but he wanted to be the man, and that would never have happened in Phoenix. Never. Now he's leading a team to what might be a 50 win season and most likely a 4th seed. And we know they can be dangerous in the playoffs.

Joe absolutely made the right decision.

Punkindrublic03
03-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Joe Johnson didn't make a mistake by signing with Atlanta... Robert Sarver (suns owner) made the mistake of not paying him enough $. so JJ said F YOU and left. totally understandable.

nyybronxborn
03-18-2009, 12:51 PM
no he did the right thing , pheonix was never going to win until they play some d and they still dont

what54!?
03-18-2009, 12:56 PM
No he did the right thing. Made a lot of money, made a name for himself, the mutiple all-star teams, and made the hawks relevant again. The suns made the mistake in not resigning him.

JordansBulls
03-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Threads like that make me cringe. I'm always afraid I might have said something that ended up being totally wrong. This was not one of those cases though.

Better money and a bigger role is what he left for. Look where Atlanta is now and look where Phoenix is now. Joe absolutely made the right decision. Call if incredible foresight on his part, but he wanted to be the man, and that would never have happened in Phoenix. Never. Now he's leading a team to what might be a 50 win season and most likely a 4th seed. And we know they can be dangerous in the playoffs.

Joe absolutely made the right decision.

I was curious on this because I remember him complaining within a year of leaving Phx of how bad the Hawks were.

superkegger
03-18-2009, 01:31 PM
I was curious on this because I remember him complaining within a year of leaving Phx of how bad the Hawks were.

Yeah I remember that too. But listen long enough and you're going to hear anyone complain about their organization. It's somewhat ridiculous how we over analyze every thing athletes say these days. I don't remember the context of how he was complaining, but it happens. Doesn't mean he wanted out or anything. But looking back now, he has to be soooooo glad he made the decision he did. Doesn't have to deal with all the drama that has happened there the past few years and all the ego's and crap. Great move by Joe.

Jonathan2323
03-18-2009, 01:33 PM
the Suns were the one that made the mistake. they should have kept him.

Sport
03-18-2009, 01:38 PM
He is playing for one of the most young and exciting teams in the NBA right now. IMO, he made an alright choice.

Turtle55
03-18-2009, 02:18 PM
No, he would have never gone down as an all star in Phoenix. He would have been listed as one of the best "supporting players" in the league but now we know he is an all star level player and can be the best player on a playoff team.

ink
03-18-2009, 02:34 PM

They couldn't. I'm sure they wanted to keep him. He wanted out.

KnicksorBust
03-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Not at all. He showed that he can handle the load of being a #1 scoring option. He took a joke of a Hawks team and helped make them respectable and almost upset the Celtics. He's positioned himself fantastically and could be in line for MAX money in 2010. Would not be possible if he stayed in Phoenix.

DABEARS23
03-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Na JJ made a good choice for himself now he is an allstar and doesnt get looked over like he did when he was with the suns

king4day
03-18-2009, 03:21 PM
He likely wins a ring in Phoenix had he stayed.

ink
03-18-2009, 03:24 PM
He likely wins a ring in Phoenix had he stayed.

I second that.

So, for personal reasons, going to the Hawks benefitted him, as long as those personal reasons don't include winning a championship. With JJ the Suns would have had the team to get past the Spurs. I'd be very surprised if the Hawks ever come as close to a ring as the Suns did.

king4day
03-18-2009, 03:26 PM

Rumor was that Phoenix was going to match the offer sheet, but Johnson told the Suns brass that he didn't want to return.
The correct statement would be, Phoenix made the mistake in not giving him a much cheaper deal the season before (that HE asked for).

Mr.ATLHawks
03-18-2009, 03:27 PM
LOL...nah i think he made a solid decision. He was mad the Hawks werent building around him. He was complaining before the beginning of last season that they werent signing big name FA's and such. Now, he has nothing to complain about he has viable options J Smoove, Big Al, Bibby, Flip to compete with. My problem with JJ is his sometimes selfish attitude on the court and not getting his teammates involved. During this 6-7 game win streak he has shared the ball and been the complete basketball player. I understand that the previous 4 years he was the option and pretty much only option. But now he needs to aid in the development of his stars and learn to pass out the double teams and rely on his teammates more. But these are just my thoughts.

king4day
03-18-2009, 03:28 PM
I second that.

So, for personal reasons, going to the Hawks benefitted him, as long as those personal reasons don't include winning a championship. With JJ the Suns would have had the team to get past the Spurs. I'd be very surprised if the Hawks ever come as close to a ring as the Suns did.

Not with their current team. Had they drafted Chris Paul, then this thread would never have been created.
If he resigns with ATL (which I doubt he does if they aren't going to show him that they have a plan in the future to be an elite team), then his next contract, they might have a shot.

king4day
03-18-2009, 03:30 PM
LOL...nah i think he made a solid decision. He was mad the Hawks werent building around him. He was complaining before the beginning of last season that they werent signing big name FA's and such. Now, he has nothing to complain about he has viable options J Smoove, Big Al, Bibby, Flip to compete with. My problem with JJ is his sometimes selfish attitude on the court and not getting his teammates involved. During this 6-7 game win streak he has shared the ball and been the complete basketball player. I understand that the previous 4 years he was the option and pretty much only option. But now he needs to aid in the development of his stars and learn to pass out the double teams and rely on his teammates more. But these are just my thoughts.

That's probably why he's still adjusting to no longer being the only guy who can win the game for them.

Mr.ATLHawks
03-18-2009, 03:31 PM
I second that.

Whoa buddy never ever say never. the hawks are a big man and a true point guard away from seriously competing and after this year they have Bibby salary 15 million coming off, and quite frankly i am not impressed with Bibby this year and his inconsistancy. He is a combo guard whether people want to admit it or not, ATL also might be looking to unload Marvin in the offseason to move up the draft board to snatch a big man, but who knows. The PG crop looks deep also this year with Teague from WAKE, Johnny Flynn aned a few others.

JordansBulls
03-18-2009, 03:39 PM
I second that.

That's more or less what I was hinting at on if they would have a title by now or not.

ink
03-18-2009, 03:40 PM
Whoa buddy never ever say never. the hawks are a big man and a true point guard away from seriously competing and after this year they have Bibby salary 15 million coming off, and quite frankly i am not impressed with Bibby this year and his inconsistancy. He is a combo guard whether people want to admit it or not, ATL also might be looking to unload Marvin in the offseason to move up the draft board to snatch a big man, but who knows. The PG crop looks deep also this year with Teague from WAKE, Johnny Flynn aned a few others.

Don't worry. I have a lot of respect for the Hawks. I realize they are a very good team. But people really underestimate the elite level that teams like the Suns and Mavs reached (and stayed at) a few years ago. Like the Jazz in the 90's, some teams just don't get over that final hurdle. It is still EXTREMELY difficult for young teams like the Hawks to even make that "almost" champions level. Don't underestimate that difficulty. Few teams get that far.

IMO JJ would have been happier with a championship ring with the Suns ... even as a third or fourth option. Shoulda remained a team player.

SB75
03-18-2009, 03:50 PM
Joe made the right call. Although their will be big changes in store for my Hawks this summer.

WSUJJ
03-18-2009, 03:53 PM
No he did not, he wanted to prove he was a Star. So now he can get big bucks

thephoenixson28
03-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Yes he did, but no he didn't. What I mean by that is if he would've stayed with the suns he could've had a ring, and regardless if your a 3rd or 4th option you don't care once you have that rock on your finger. But the suns messed up cuz they didn't sign him for cheap, and joe johnson wasn't greedy cuz the suns could've matched that offer and he would've had more money. Joe johnson was upset and admitted he should've stayed in phoenix that's when phx and the lakers were playing and he went to the game.

Nirvanaskurdt
03-18-2009, 05:29 PM
The Suns blew it ...big time!! that being said .. so did Johnson he'll never win a ring in ATL

king4day
03-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Yes he did, but no he didn't. What I mean by that is if he would've stayed with the suns he could've had a ring, and regardless if your a 3rd or 4th option you don't care once you have that rock on your finger. But the suns messed up cuz they didn't sign him for cheap, and joe johnson wasn't greedy cuz the suns could've matched that offer and he would've had more money. Joe johnson was upset and admitted he should've stayed in phoenix that's when phx and the lakers were playing and he went to the game.

I never knew about that. Tha'ts depressing.
Then again, we wouldn't have gone as far as we did without Diaw in 05-06.

abe_froman
03-18-2009, 05:41 PM

and he hasnt said **** in the past 2 years now has he?

i can see him regretting a few years ago,but now its a playoff team in a weak east thats shown they can compete with the likes of the celtics and still pretty young.i doubt he still feels that way

thephoenixson28
03-18-2009, 06:01 PM
and he hasnt said **** in the past 2 years now has he?

i can see him regretting a few years ago,but now its a playoff team in a weak east thats shown they can compete with the likes of the celtics and still pretty young.i doubt he still feels that way what did I hit a nerve or something, are you a atlanta hawks fan I was just stating the facts. I'm pretty sure now he wants to stay in atlanta but in his first couple of seasons he had losing seasons.

LTS
03-18-2009, 06:08 PM
I think he could of one a championship but instead he chose to be the superstar of the team and not win one so 50/50 decsion

ragee
03-18-2009, 06:10 PM

No. Johnson made a right choice and it really worked for him. I think the Suns made the wrong decision to let him go.

Chronz
03-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Yes, people are saying how good Atlanta is and how bad PHX is but think of it this way, the Suns are as good of a team as the Hawks are only they are WITHOUT Joe Johnson, and when healthy the Suns are WAY better than the Hawks, just imagine how good they would be with him, then again his staying there changes a the teams personnel moves, who knows how the Suns wouldve looked by now. But of course he wouldve developed, he was well on his way and wouldve become an increasingly higher priority. The Suns wanted to keep him but couldnt because he said something along the lines of why would you want someone who doesnt want to be there on your team. Remember the Suns couldve matched, and were going to, instead they did the honorable thing and got what they could for him.

JordansBulls
03-18-2009, 09:06 PM
No. Johnson made a right choice and it really worked for him. I think the Suns made the wrong decision to let him go.

Suns couldn't pay everyone on that team.

SB75
03-18-2009, 09:33 PM
You Suns fans are killing me. Come on be honest, NO ONE CAN SAY THEY WOULD HAVE WON A CHAMPIONSHIP. That's like saying the Hawks would have won the championship had they not traded Nique, or drafted Chris Paul. NO it would have improved the odds, But it's not promised. The Suns are a very good team, but you can't say Joe made a mistake. The truth be told, the guys who are saying they should have gave Joe the money before his free-agent year are right. It would have given your team an excellent shot at it, but not a guarantee.

Nets fan 93
03-18-2009, 10:38 PM
Well...if you think about it...they traded JJ for Diaw which ended up being J-Rich...playing the same sort of role JJ was playing...

but realisticly suns FAILED...though at least they got something...

As for Joe...I'm sure he is happy now that his team is in a better situation than the Suns

Mr.ATLHawks
03-19-2009, 11:39 AM
1) The Suns wouldnt have won anything. Amare, as good as he is offensively, is an abomination on defense. Name the last team to win a championship that didnt play solid defense. Dont worry i will wait......

2) Joe Johnson was acquired in a sign and trade, the Hawks didnt offer him a contract. PHX received 2 conditional 1st round picks and Boris Diaw. Not a cheap price...If you wanna call a team stupid how about Boston for trading him for Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk

3) PHX is not wayyyyy better than ATL when healthy, they might be slightly better but PHX frontcourt is superior to ATL's. Nash is on the decline, Shaq is still proving he is Shaq..without Shaq Phoenix wouldnt be mentioned in anything.

PHX at the time was over stocked at the Guard- Foward position...Raja bell, Quentin Richardson, Barbosa. It was a good move for JJ and I dont expect him to go anywhere when he becomes a FA. ATL will find a way to keep him.

da wood
03-19-2009, 11:48 AM
joe did what was best for him

da wood
03-19-2009, 11:49 AM
his kids gotta eat lol naw it was a good choice the sun let him go

JordansBulls
03-19-2009, 12:27 PM
You Suns fans are killing me. Come on be honest, NO ONE CAN SAY THEY WOULD HAVE WON A CHAMPIONSHIP. That's like saying the Hawks would have won the championship had they not traded Nique, or drafted Chris Paul. NO it would have improved the odds, But it's not promised. The Suns are a very good team, but you can't say Joe made a mistake. The truth be told, the guys who are saying they should have gave Joe the money before his free-agent year are right. It would have given your team an excellent shot at it, but not a guarantee.

Suns were legit contenders without him in 2007.

DABEARS23
03-19-2009, 12:34 PM
I second that.

I followed the Suns theyre "close to the championship season" They werent that "close" as you think...Bottom line is he has a better chance of winning a championship with the Hawks then he does with the Suns look at the records Hawks 4th in East in the playoffs and the Suns are not even the 8th seed and wont be in the playoffs...Bottom line Suns made the mistake not keeping Joe Johnson he was the most consistent player they had

writ42
03-19-2009, 12:38 PM
Joe Johnson was traded, the decision wasn't his to go to atlanta over phoenix. So this whole thread is a waste of ****ing time.

ugafan
03-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Joe Johnson was traded, the decision wasn't his to go to atlanta over phoenix. So this whole thread is a waste of ****ing time.

He wasn't traded.
You're rtearded

vick27m
03-19-2009, 04:40 PM
i wish he was still with the suns.

JabberJaw
03-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Great move by Joe Johnson. He is the leader of the team, is making more money than he would've on the Suns, has a better chance of getting to the finals in the East, is going to be an all-star for several years and his team is going up where as the Suns are going down. Good move by Joe

JabberJaw
03-19-2009, 04:41 PM

He wasn't traded. He decided not to re-sign with the Suns.

Faneik
03-19-2009, 05:05 PM
He wasn't traded. He decided not to re-sign with the Suns.

He was traded.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/Search/SearchResults.php?Player=joe+johnson&Team=&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&BeginYear=&BeginMonth=&BeginDay=&EndYear=&EndMonth=&EndDay=&submit=Search

It was Joe Johnson for Diaw, Rondo and Robin Lopez.

mrblisterdundee
03-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Atlanta is a good team, and Joe Johnson did not make a mistake signing with them. They have talent at every position and depth to spare. Al Horford is undersized, but he's one of the top centers in the league. Just because the Celtics, Cavaliers, and Magic are really good doesn't mean Atlanta isn't.

ink
03-19-2009, 05:32 PM
He was traded.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/Search/SearchResults.php?Player=joe+johnson&Team=&PlayerMovementChkBx=yes&BeginYear=&BeginMonth=&BeginDay=&EndYear=&EndMonth=&EndDay=&submit=Search

It was Joe Johnson for Diaw, Rondo and Robin Lopez.

It was actually for Diaw and picks. And it was a sign and trade that PHX only did because the Hawks had already extended an offer sheet to JJ, who was a restricted free agent. It wasn't a straight-forward trade at all.

KnicksorBust
03-19-2009, 09:42 PM
I second that.

I think most players would rather be the #1 guy on a good team than the #3-4 guy on a great team.

ink
03-19-2009, 09:59 PM
I think most players would rather be the #1 guy on a good team than the #3-4 guy on a great team.

Luckily there are still a few Manu Ginobili's around. And lucky for Manu, he has a few rings to flash. :D I think there are lots of players who would rather have a ring than be the #1 guy. It's a question of whether they can balance ego vs. achievement in a TEAM game.

Faneik
03-20-2009, 10:09 AM
It was actually for Diaw and picks. And it was a sign and trade that PHX only did because the Hawks had already extended an offer sheet to JJ, who was a restricted free agent. It wasn't a straight-forward trade at all.

Yeah, and those picks turned out to be Rondo and Robin Lopez, so I think my post stands correct.

All I said was Johnson was traded, a sign&trade implies a trade, or am I wrong?...

ink
03-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Yeah, and those picks turned out to be Rondo and Robin Lopez, so I think my post stands correct.

All I said was Johnson was traded, a sign&trade implies a trade, or am I wrong?...

Your post oversimplified it. Saying he was "traded" when he forced a S&T because he had already signed an offer sheet with the Hawks is not the same as a team just trading him. There's a big difference in motive.

And it's also oversimplifying things to say he was traded for three players when he was traded for Diaw and picks. One of those picks was never used by Phoenix (Rondo) and the other was just used last year (Lopez). That Atlanta pick basically blew up in their face. Out of the deal Phoenix benefitted the year Amar'e went down with injury most, but otherwise, the implication that the Suns wanted that S&T or somehow didn't want JJ is just incorrect. JJ forced the S&T.

thephoenixson28
03-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Your post oversimplified it. Saying he was "traded" when he forced a S&T because he had already signed an offer sheet with the Hawks is not the same as a team just trading him. There's a big difference in motive.

And it's also oversimplifying things to say he was traded for three players when he was traded for Diaw and picks. One of those picks was never used by Phoenix (Rondo) and the other was just used last year (Lopez). That Atlanta pick basically blew up in their face. Out of the deal Phoenix benefitted the year Amar'e went down with injury most, but otherwise, the implication that the Suns wanted that S&T or somehow didn't want JJ is just incorrect. JJ forced the S&T. I think a trade is a trade regardless as how it was put. If they get a player and we get players back it is consider a trade. Its like a actual trade just without the drama of him wanting to be traded. But joe messed up for leaving, and the suns mest up even more for not signing him. Joe johnson was my favorite suns player over marion,nash,stoudemire,richardson but stuff happens for a reason to good luck to joe johnson.

ink
03-20-2009, 12:24 PM
I think a trade is a trade regardless as how it was put. If they get a player and we get players back it is consider a trade. Its like a actual trade just without the drama of him wanting to be traded. But joe messed up for leaving, and the suns mest up even more for not signing him. Joe johnson was my favorite suns player over marion,nash,stoudemire,richardson but stuff happens for a reason to good luck to joe johnson.

I agree that both sides screwed up, but motive makes a huge difference. The subtleties of a transaction can determine a lot of things in a relationship between a player and an organization.

The implication a few posts above Faneik's post is what I'm responding to where someone suggested the Suns just traded him away because they wanted to get rid of him.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. The problem started with a meddling Suns owner who misjudged Johnson's RFA situation badly. The S&T Colangelo was later forced into was more of a salvage job than anything else. The trade was just the mechanism used to release a disgruntled player who had made it clear he wanted out. The decision to leave was made by JJ.

At the All Star game this year Robert Sarver actually went on record (http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/69754/2-12_ROBERT_SARVER_G_A_EDITED_.MP3) saying that he regrets not extending JJ during the season. He now realizes that it was one of his biggest mistakes. btw, he admits his mistake about 1/3 of the way through the audio clip I linked above. He wishes he hadn't signed Q and wishes he had extended JJ. He's surprisingly honest about it.

But there's no doubt that JJ wanted to leave because he wanted to be #1 and he wanted a max. contract.

thephoenixson28
03-20-2009, 12:43 PM
I agree that both sides screwed up, but motive makes a huge difference. The subtleties of a transaction can determine a lot of things in a relationship between a player and an organization.

The implication a few posts above Faneik's post is what I'm responding to where someone suggested the Suns just traded him away because they wanted to get rid of him.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. The problem started with a meddling Suns owner who misjudged Johnson's RFA situation badly. The S&T Colangelo was later forced into was more of a salvage job than anything else. Basically because his boss screwed things up, he was put in a position to try to repair them. The trade was just the mechanism used to release a disgruntled player who had made it clear he wanted out. The decision to leave was made by JJ.

At the All Star game this year Robert Sarver actually went on record (http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/69754/2-12_ROBERT_SARVER_G_A_EDITED_.MP3) saying that he regrets not extending JJ during the season. He now realizes that it was one of his biggest mistakes.

btw, he admits it's his biggest mistake about 1/3 of the way through the audio clip I linked above. He wishes he hadn't signed Q and wishes he had extended JJ. He's surprisingly honest about it being his biggest rookie owner mistake.

But there's no doubt that JJ wanted to leave because he wanted to be #1 and he wanted a max. contract. Oh I didn't notice that sorry.

JayAllDay
03-20-2009, 02:35 PM
Phoenix made a mistake not signing him, but Joe Johnson got paid and his team is beastly now. I think the answer is no to the thread.

IrespectNumber3
03-20-2009, 02:44 PM
you guys kill me with this Suns would've won a championship...