PDA

View Full Version : Great Article on the Reds

IowaAJ
03-17-2009, 09:13 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2009/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3989234

That was the day the Phillies traded their own veteran centerpiece player, Bobby Abreu, to the Yankees. They sure didn't trade him because they thought the most advanced prospects they got back -- C.J. Henry and Matt Smith -- were their tickets to a brighter tomorrow. Heck, neither one of them is even in the system anymore.

Nope, the Phillies traded Abreu for one basic reason: to get him out of the way. Out of Jimmy Rollins' way. Out of Chase Utley's way. Out of Ryan Howard's way.

They became a different team that day. A team with a whole different personality, a whole different chemistry, a whole different energy level, a whole different aura.

Scouts who have followed the Reds this spring have talked nonstop about the energy that seems to jump off the field at you when you watch them. That'll happen when you build a team around a bunch of 20-something energizers, especially when those 20-something energizers look around and realize this is now their team.

"It is their team, to mold and develop into a championship-caliber team for the long run," GM Walt Jocketty said. "And that's basically what we're trying to do -- build this team for the long haul."

But above all, it means opening the door for Votto and Bruce to flip that stardom switch the whole sport has been waiting for.

Votto and Bruce undoubtedly could have flipped that switch whether they were surrounded by Griffey and Dunn or not. But their departure seems to have created a whole new climate that makes the transition to that next generation easier on everyone.

anarin
03-18-2009, 12:15 PM
I like where your heads at

jlohm1
03-18-2009, 01:16 PM
im really looking forward to this season!!!! nice find!

IowaAJ
03-18-2009, 04:30 PM
hey thanks guys. I can't wait for the season to start.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-18-2009, 07:22 PM
I think you guys down there in southern Ohio should do alright this year. Always rooting for you guys to come out of the NL. Maybe a little battle of Ohio in a WS? :)

Tragedy
03-19-2009, 12:49 AM
I think you guys down there in southern Ohio should do alright this year. Always rooting for you guys to come out of the NL. Maybe a little battle of Ohio in a WS? :)
Would be so damn cool.

I think the Reds future is getting brighter and brighter. Got to give it a little time. They're certainly heading in the right direction for 2009.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Would be so damn cool.

I think the Reds future is getting brighter and brighter. Got to give it a little time. They're certainly heading in the right direction for 2009.

Yeah you guys aren't doing to bad future wise.

Indians are a few pieces away from being a pretty legit team as well.

I really do wish for a Indians vs Red series though, I mean it would be great.

jlohm1
03-19-2009, 10:06 PM
that would be awesome to see ya in the WS!!!!