PDA

View Full Version : If Jamal Crawford Opts Out

BkOriginalOne
03-15-2009, 10:59 PM
There have been talks that Nellie wants Crawford to opt out afther this season - if he doesn't they will trade him. It fair enough to say then, that his stint is over. With that, where do you think he should end up.

Personally, I think he could be a good fit for"
1. The Spurs (play a Stephen Jackson type role.. they're always looking for offense of the bench)
2. Raptors. Could keep bosh happy. Calderon, Crawford, Parker, Bosh, Barg - don't look bad.
3. Rockets. Sign him, get rid of tracy Mcgrady.
4. Magic would look dangerous if they could sign him to the start the 2.
5. Utah Jazz could use the spark if he could play under Sloan.
6. Replace Steph in Boston.
7. Hornets might get desperate.

madiaz3
03-15-2009, 11:01 PM
I think Pop is the coach that could get the most out of him.
Most people feel he just has that affect about him. David Robinson said two years ago that Pop could make Eddy Curry an all-star I think.

znick21
03-15-2009, 11:31 PM
he's not gonna opt out of his current deal. he's getting 9 mil next year and 10 the year after that. there's no way he gets that kind of money on the open market.

superkegger
03-15-2009, 11:47 PM
No way he opts out, and I doubt they find a taker for his contract. He's going to be in the same situation Marbury was, because they were dumb enough to trade for him in the first place. Another brilliant move by the Warriors.

IndyRealist
03-16-2009, 12:01 AM
Yeah, it's not like he's playing for a championship. He's still young, he wants to get paid. No way he opts out of $19M. Plus he'll also be a free agent PG/SG market against Ben Gordon and Allen Iverson.

For the sake of arguement, if he did opt out he would go somewhere he could get more than the MLE, and only a handful of teams would be under the cap and want him. I figure Minnesota or Toronto would be the only teams that could offer him more than the MLE and would need him. Jersey might if he'd sign a 1 year contract.

IversonIsKrazy
03-16-2009, 12:28 AM
i can c Jazz or Hornets signing. As a spur fan i hope not, we already got Mason & Ginobili at the SG spot. I hope we sign Marvin Williams.

And for the raps, even worse defence, not needed.

oldenpolynice
03-16-2009, 12:33 AM
he's not gonna opt out of his current deal. he's getting 9 mil next year and 10 the year after that. there's no way he gets that kind of money on the open market.

Nellie basically told Crawford that if he doesn't opt out, they'll trade him. A Godfather offer. Now Crawford has two choices. Get traded wherever the Warriors can get a taker. Or opt out and choose his destination.

mrblisterdundee
03-16-2009, 12:41 AM
I think the Blazers could sign him, although it's very unlikely. They could operate well with two talented combo guards in the back court. Crawford can distribute the ball and score as much as Brandon Roy. Roy will still be the absolute leader, but have a lot of pressure taken off of him.
The only big disadvantage is that the Blazers need to get better on defense. Jamal Crawford cannot help with that.
Besides the defensive deficiency, I think he is a safe bet.

DreamShaker
03-16-2009, 12:52 AM

I agree...and I don't get the appeal of a guy who makes that much who is never on winning teams...

superkegger
03-16-2009, 01:21 AM
Nellie basically told Crawford that if he doesn't opt out, they'll trade him. A Godfather offer. Now Crawford has two choices. Get traded wherever the Warriors can get a taker. Or opt out and choose his destination.

Is wherever the Warriors can find a taker really going to be worse than the Warriors? I mean the bad teams don't want to take on salary or older players with a rep for chucking.

There's no reason for him to opt out. He's getting paid, and if they trade him, he still gets paid. If they don't trade him and don't play him, he makes the worlds easiest 19 million.

abe_froman
03-16-2009, 01:27 AM
Is wherever the Warriors can find a taker really going to be worse than the Warriors? I mean the bad teams don't want to take on salary or older players with a rep for chucking.

There's no reason for him to opt out. He's getting paid, and if they trade him, he still gets paid. If they don't trade him and don't play him, he makes the worlds easiest 19 million.

starbury,hughes,wallace and randolph are four names that were said "no one would take",yet found takers.there is always somebody willing to take

superkegger
03-16-2009, 01:35 AM
True.

I guess I was just looking at it like, where can they really trade him that would be worse than Golden State?

With this huge fear of spending, you know the bad teams, or at least you'd think the bad teams wouldn't want to take on such a player as crawford. Not this year. So unless some bad team is willing to take on that salary, I doubt he could go to much worse of a team. We agree on that?

So that would mean he'd have to get traded to a team that's looking for a scorer/shooter and will pay for it. right? And who's going to be willing to do that? Probably a team that needs (or feels they only need) a couple more pieces to be legit contenders and Crawford could be one of those pieces.

So really, he has a lot to lose by opting out, and pretty much can either only maintain his current status, or improve it.

Rapsjaysleafs
03-16-2009, 01:53 AM
I can only hope he does NOT come to Toronto
Jose+Crawford=Worst Defense Ever
It will be another Marbury thing, but I think he will get traded, no reason to opt out as many have already said.

Like Abe Froman said someone will take him, any ideas who?

miller
03-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Nellie said he wants him to opt out or he'll be traded... I guess he is gonna be busy on the phone looking to trade him because I don't think he'll leave that kind of cash on the table. It could take 5 years to get the kind of money he is due over the next 2 years. In my opinion there is no way he opts out.

starbury,hughes,wallace and randolph are four names that were said "no one would take",yet found takers.there is always somebody willing to take

As a Knick fan it pains me to say my team was involved in the trades for all but Wallace. There is always somebody willing to take but sometimes its always the same teams replacing an "untradeable" for another teams "untradeable".

king4day
03-16-2009, 10:16 AM
I think the Blazers could sign him, although it's very unlikely. They could operate well with two talented combo guards in the back court. Crawford can distribute the ball and score as much as Brandon Roy. Roy will still be the absolute leader, but have a lot of pressure taken off of him.
The only big disadvantage is that the Blazers need to get better on defense. Jamal Crawford cannot help with that.
Besides the defensive deficiency, I think he is a safe bet.

I'd take choice two. Get traded while still making the same money. You'll clearly be wanted, so now you can play more motivated and have a good shot at looking better in 2 years when his contract ends.

GIANTS4LIFE28
03-16-2009, 10:23 AM
I think that he will go back to the knicks on a one year deal. He was my favorite player and was upset when we trade him