PDA

View Full Version : Biggest coaching blunder?

superkegger
03-15-2009, 09:24 PM
Over the time in which you've watched the NBA, what is the biggest coaching blunder you've seen? Maybe not from your own team, but just a coaching move that you couldn't believe, that had pretty big consequences, probably beyond just losing the game.

To me, it would have to be Avery Johnson on April 17th 2007.

This (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200704170GSW.html) game against the Warriors, in the regular season, he rested Dirk, Howard, Stack and Dampier completely, and Harris and Terry played a combined 33 minutes and the Mavs lost.

Now, if the Mavs beat them, the best they could have finished was 41-41, and while the Clippers finished 40-42. Who knows what happens if the Mavs come out and play against the warriors in that game though, and beat them. Does that change the psychology of the playoff series? Do the Dubs still make the playoffs.

In retrospect, I think it was a huge blunder to rest the starters that game by Avery. Especially since he didn't rest them the next night. It has in a sense lead to a crumbling of the Mavs since then.

So what are your thoughts on the biggest coaching blunder you've seen?

Ballah0liC1
03-15-2009, 09:55 PM
rick adelman playing yao 40 minutes a game

superkegger
03-15-2009, 10:20 PM
:confused:

explain...

KH12
03-15-2009, 10:21 PM
Vinny Del Negro doing anything.

Monster_Game
03-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Vinny Del Negro being born.

DerekRE_3
03-15-2009, 10:46 PM
Kenny Natt drawing up any kind of play near the end of the game.

ink
03-15-2009, 10:50 PM
Over the time in which you've watched the NBA, what is the biggest coaching blunder you've seen? Maybe not from your own team, but just a coaching move that you couldn't believe, that had pretty big consequences, probably beyond just losing the game.

This (http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200704170GSW.html) game against the Warriors, in the regular season, he rested Dirk, Howard, Stack and Dampier completely, and Harris and Terry played a combined 33 minutes and the Mavs lost.

Now, if the Mavs beat them, the best they could have finished was 41-41, and while the Clippers finished 40-42. Who knows what happens if the Mavs come out and play against the warriors in that game though, and beat them. Does that change the psychology of the playoff series? Do the Dubs still make the playoffs.

In retrospect, I think it was a huge blunder to rest the starters that game by Avery. Especially since he didn't rest them the next night. It has in a sense lead to a crumbling of the Mavs since then.

That's a good example Superkegger. I can't think of a better one.

Maybe D'Antoni not keeping Stat off the court in that Spurs-Suns playoff series.

whitekimbo
03-15-2009, 10:53 PM
i would say one of them is lovie smith squib kicking it to the falcons when they lost that game in the last minute with the GW FG by the falcons.

Monster_Game
03-15-2009, 11:04 PM
i would say one of them is lovie smith squib kicking it to the falcons when they lost that game in the last minute with the GW FG by the falcons.

That wasn't completely his fault though, the defense should not have allowed them to pass the ball that long in such a late game situation.

Jaji
03-16-2009, 01:11 AM

Thing is, the Warriors were just a bad match-up for the Mavs. The best the Mavs could have hoped for was dodging the Warriors altogether. They really had no chance at beating them 4 times despite being the top seed. They just didn't match-up well against the Warriors who dominated them that whole year.

superkegger
03-16-2009, 01:18 AM
Thing is, the Warriors were just a bad match-up for the Mavs. The best the Mavs could have hoped for was dodging the Warriors altogether. They really had no chance at beating them 4 times despite being the top seed. They just didn't match-up well against the Warriors who dominated them that whole year.

right, that's part of the point. they were a bad matchup for the warriors, we knew this before the mavs played that 2nd to last regular season game. Yet Avery decided to rest his guys instead of perhaps eliminating them from the playoffs, or at least gaining some kind of psychological edge. Maybe it didn't cost them the series, but you gotta wonder if they had won that game, would things still have spiraled out of control for them like that.

DreamShaker
03-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Riley leaving Starks in that Finals game is one that gets talked about a great deal...

Larry Brown during the 04 world championships...all the guys essentially hated him after that...

I remember a game in the Van Gundy era in Houston when he randomly started Steve Novack against the Suns...

I think anytime a coach puts in a cold player in crucial moments it's counter-productive. Bill Simmons likes to bury Dunleavy for putting in Daniel Ewing as a defensive replacement against the Suns in that Clippers series in 06 after not playing him all game long....but stuff like that happens alot....never made any sense to me....

MoBASS
03-16-2009, 04:12 AM
That's a good example Superkegger. I can't think of a better one.

Maybe D'Antoni not keeping Stat off the court in that Spurs-Suns playoff series.

Mike Dunleavy: 2006 NBA Playoffs when "Dumbleavy" puts in 2 ice-cold players for "defensive purposes" only to have one of them give up a 3 to an open Raja Bell.

SteveNash
03-16-2009, 05:08 AM
Flip Saunders putting Chauncey Billups on LeBron James during game 5 of the 2007 ECF.

Chronz
03-16-2009, 05:29 AM
Dunleavy subbing Cassell out and putting in Daniel Ewing against the suns, Cassell said after the game he wouldve pummeled Nash into the stands rather than give up a 3pter, much less a good look.

Stan Van Gundy taking Wade out in the final possession vs the Pacers comes to mind.

But yea I remember that year you spoke of, we didnt deserve to make the playoffs considering how we laid down but I think we wouldve made it had the Mavs played their game vs the Warriors and won. They wouldve beaten us and gone to the Finals. But that wasnt Avery's biggest mistake, his biggest mistake was trying to match up with them instead of playing big.