PDA

View Full Version : If Lebron joined the Knicks under Dantoni, he WOULD average a triple double

hockeypro68
03-15-2009, 04:42 PM
Think about it. Under D'antoni's system, with Lebron running pointforward as usual, he could easily average 10 assists and 10 rebounds.

Agree or disagree?

chicagowhitesox
03-15-2009, 04:51 PM
i highly doubt it. but he would definitely score 33+ ppg.

madiaz3
03-15-2009, 04:57 PM
No, you guys exaggerate the Dantoni affect outside of the fact that he was replacing Isiah Thomas. Under Alvin Gentry's current & ACTUAL run and gun? Yes.

The Knicks? Depends on who his cast is, but it isn't the system alone that would do it, just better finishers with a more efficient offense, not SSOL.

Kakaroach
03-15-2009, 05:00 PM
I think its possible. But highly unlikely, especially when guys like David Lee are grabbing double-doubles left and right.

NykbAlla
03-15-2009, 05:09 PM
No, you guys exaggerate the Dantoni affect outside of the fact that he was replacing Isiah Thomas. Under Terry Porter's current & ACTUAL run and gun? Yes.

The Knicks? Depends on who his cast is, but it isn't the system alone that would do it, just better finishers with a more efficient offense, not SSOL.

Do you realize Terry Porter was fired a month ago. And he didn't run an uptempo offense, he focused on defense, which is probably why he was fired. I do agree that it depends on who his supporting cast is though. In order to average 10 assists a game he needs finishers. Knicks need more of those.

ggg
03-15-2009, 05:11 PM
if they surround him with three point shooters he will. in that pace he can score 35-40 everynight

JJ81
03-15-2009, 05:12 PM
He's more likely to be able to score more points

Hawkeye15
03-15-2009, 05:15 PM
Not sure, but its possible. I think he would be over 30 ppg, maybe 9/9 on rbs, and asts.

NYK All the Way
03-15-2009, 05:20 PM
No, you guys exaggerate the Dantoni affect outside of the fact that he was replacing Isiah Thomas. Under Terry Porter's current & ACTUAL run and gun? Yes.

What are you talking about? Terry Porter was fired because he turned their offense into a half court offense, which is why the suns were losing games.

As for the question at hand, averaging a triple double is no joke, but if anyone currently is going to do it its gonna be lebron (d wade would be next but im not sure if we could average 10 boards a game).

whitekimbo
03-15-2009, 05:22 PM
he wont be able to do it. when Mike D coaches teams, they dont rebound.

SJSHARKIES
03-15-2009, 05:24 PM
No, it is possible. But in today's era the game has evolved. It's not the same as it was in the past. He won't avg. a triple double.

cmstophe
03-15-2009, 06:28 PM
And the Knicks would never win a title. No D.

tdunk21
03-15-2009, 06:39 PM
y are people fantasizing that lebron will even consider knicks???

http://raptortalk.com/2008/12/08/lebron-james-is-not-leaving-cleveland-for-new-york-to-get-massive-endorsement-deals.aspx

superkegger
03-15-2009, 07:03 PM
How would him playing for the knicks increase his rebounding?

He might get more triple doubles, but do you realize just how damn near impossible it would be average a triple double? If I'm not mistaken, only Big O did it, and he only did it 1 season. Averaging a triple double would be so hard to do. Doubt he could maintain that.

Raider_Na8ion19
03-15-2009, 07:06 PM
"IF"

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle

GREATNESS ONE
03-15-2009, 07:08 PM
BIG O is the MAN. Lebron would need a good cast to average a triple double.

madiaz3
03-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Do you realize Terry Porter was fired a month ago. And he didn't run an uptempo offense, he focused on defense, which is probably why he was fired. I do agree that it depends on who his supporting cast is though. In order to average 10 assists a game he needs finishers. Knicks need more of those.

I meant Alvin Gentry.

Kenny
03-15-2009, 07:11 PM
On ESPN they did something that if Lebron with his efficiency rating would average 40-15-10 back when oscar played because teams averaged 118 points per game back then.. Wayyyy more then they do now

ggg
03-15-2009, 07:21 PM
things i can tell you right now is

1. because most of the d antoni type players are hybrid big men like amare, harington, undersized PF and C's.
2. they shoot alot of threes which should translate into long rebounds.
3. the philosphy is to shoot before the defense is set in so occasionally you get those quick tip ins and hustle rebounds.

im not sayin he's gonna get a sure 10.0 rebounding average but somewhere around 8.50-9.50 a game. with his athleticism he's gonna be everywhere with that system but i highly doubt he's gonna want to go there cuz dantoni has a reputation of not winning the big thing due to his philosophy, so its unlikely for lebron who wants to win choose that path.

superkegger
03-15-2009, 07:25 PM
On ESPN they did something that if Lebron with his efficiency rating would average 40-15-10 back when oscar played because teams averaged 118 points per game back then.. Wayyyy more then they do now

Yeah, even the ssol suns didn't score that much. Last team to average 118 a game, GSW in 91-92 with Tim Hardaway and Chris Mullin coached by, yep, Don Nelson.

after that, the pace of the game drastically slowed. with only recently a surge in pace again.

Ethix11
03-15-2009, 07:31 PM
Yeah he would average a triple double. But his team would still lose because of their lack of defensive structure..

McPeak92
03-15-2009, 07:38 PM
he would be close to the 10 assist but probably around 7 rpg

vick27m
03-15-2009, 07:46 PM
no he couldnt

Kyle N.
03-15-2009, 08:10 PM
I don't think it's possible.

albertc86
03-15-2009, 08:15 PM
This thread is ********. I can't imagine LeBron having the ball in his hands any more than he already does. The Cavs' offense runs through him.

harm0n1x
03-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Why are you guys even debating this? LeBron isn't going to play for New York anyways, he's staying in Cleveland. Give it up... And they're just about to beat the Knicks once again

Sox Appeal
03-15-2009, 08:19 PM
he wont be able to do it. when Mike D coaches teams, they dont rebound.

That's why Amare averaged well over 9.0RPG when he was playing in D'Antonis system. :rolleyes:

As for the question, I defiantly believe he would have a chance at averaging a triple double. His career averages are: 27.5PPG 6.7Ast 7.0RPG and he's been playing for a team that plays traditionally in the half-court. If you would put him in a system that plays up-tempo (like D'Antonis) there's no question his stats would inflate. Enough for him to average a triple double, I'm not so sure, but I do think he would come extremely close.

dre1990
03-15-2009, 08:21 PM
No

DJ CHACH
03-15-2009, 08:28 PM
r u kidding,my knicks clear the lane for the defense and wanna shhoot threes all day, they wouldnt crowd the middle, so he would be open to drive anywhere, anytime anyplace

dandman1021
03-15-2009, 08:39 PM
maybe he could too bad we will never know cuase he aint goin there

More-Than-Most
03-15-2009, 08:41 PM
How would him playing for the knicks increase his rebounding?

He might get more triple doubles, but do you realize just how damn near impossible it would be average a triple double? If I'm not mistaken, only Big O did it, and he only did it 1 season. Averaging a triple double would be so hard to do. Doubt he could maintain that.

I dont think he could do it either but being on a running team could help his rebounding a lot... They would shoot considerably more. More shots would equal more rebounding opportunities.

prodigy
03-15-2009, 08:42 PM
he would not play for dantoni Because dantoni has no idea what defense is. so They won't win without defense.

whitekimbo
03-15-2009, 08:46 PM
That's why Amare averaged well over 9.0RPG when he was playing in D'Antonis system. :rolleyes:

As for the question, I defiantly believe he would have a chance at averaging a triple double. His career averages are: 27.5PPG 6.7Ast 7.0RPG and he's been playing for a team that plays traditionally in the half-court. If you would put him in a system that plays up-tempo (like D'Antonis) there's no question his stats would inflate. Enough for him to average a triple double, I'm not so sure, but I do think he would come extremely close.

WOW, ur an idiot. 1st of all a triple double includes 10 rebounds, not 9 so i dont even know y u said 9. 2nd of all, his career RPG is 8.9 dumbass. that isnt WELL OVER 9.0 bud. :rolleyes:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/amare_stoudemire/career_stats.html

More-Than-Most
03-15-2009, 08:47 PM
he would not play for dantoni Because dantoni has no idea what defense is. so They won't win without defense.

If he wins a championship this year he might play for dantoni considering how much the knicks would probably offer. Also if they added another all star like a steve nash or a Amare then I think there is a very good chance he would leave to play in star studded new york for a gigantic contract. Lebron wants to win a championship but he has other goals like being a billionaire and what better way to make that happen then playing in madison square garden with a highlight reel offense.

prodigy
03-15-2009, 08:53 PM
If he wins a championship this year he might play for dantoni considering how much the knicks would probably offer. .

larry bird rights man. Cavs can offer 30mill more then any other team.

More-Than-Most
03-15-2009, 08:56 PM
larry bird rights man. Cavs can offer 30mill more then any other team.

Yes but playing in new york at madison square garden and resurrecting that franchise would end up making that 30 extra million look like chump change compared to the marketing he would get.

cmstophe
03-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Yes but playing in new york at madison square garden and resurrecting that franchise would end up making that 30 extra million look like chump change compared to the marketing he would get.

gets enough marketing playing in cleveland. he cannot really go any higher and the "endorsement" myth was busted 50 times already.

cmstophe
03-15-2009, 09:21 PM
If he wins a championship this year he might play for dantoni considering how much the knicks would probably offer. Also if they added another all star like a steve nash or a Amare then I think there is a very good chance he would leave to play in star studded new york for a gigantic contract. Lebron wants to win a championship but he has other goals like being a billionaire and what better way to make that happen then playing in madison square garden with a highlight reel offense.

how will NY sign those stars with the salary cap going down?

chiitownkings
03-15-2009, 09:40 PM
stupid thread

liljoecapp
03-15-2009, 09:43 PM
thats a good point we would need 4 guys around him tho maybe nash signs 1 year to join wit dantoni go wit nash chandler gallinari james lee

prodigy
03-15-2009, 10:23 PM

lol so he gets no marketing now? Ya lebron is hardly on TV, He only has over 30 commicals, hosted espys and SNL, been on the late shows. Own store in china. Already has a store in NY, so why go there lol.

So going to NY could hand him a couple more marketing deals, But 30mill worth? no.

Plus lebron wants to win. Cavs also have ALOT of money to spend in 2010, they could land bosh. wade won't leave the beach.

Monster_Game
03-15-2009, 10:40 PM

Yes, but almost every single player on that team was used to the run and gun system. The Knicks have just started this style this year.

BkOriginalOne
03-15-2009, 10:47 PM
I think its possible, but he would have to be playing the 4.

DreamShaker
03-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Well more shots are what Coach D creates...so more shots=more rebounds. Not sure about 10 per game...unless he moved to power forward....the 10 assists I just don't know...hard thing about averaging a trip-doub is you would have to be more perimiter oriented to get more assists and more interior oriented to average 10 boards so it would be more self-defeating than anything...truth is why would anyone who coaches him want him to put up those numbers? That means your bigs and your guards aren't doing their job.

Chronz
03-16-2009, 04:14 AM
Well more shots are what Coach D creates...so more shots=more rebounds. Not sure about 10 per game...unless he moved to power forward....the 10 assists I just don't know...hard thing about averaging a trip-doub is you would have to be more perimiter oriented to get more assists and more interior oriented to average 10 boards so it would be more self-defeating than anything...truth is why would anyone who coaches him want him to put up those numbers? That means your bigs and your guards aren't doing their job.
Thats what I was thinking, they would have to lose Lee but if Bron would play he would be the ideal PF for DAntoni, the first ever PowerPoint? Anyways I doubt he would average a triple double but his per game averages would be alot closer. I just dont think he'd be a better player for it.

codes238
03-16-2009, 05:16 AM
i think it would definitely be a possibility especially if the big guys werent dominant rebounders and he had some good shooters and finishers around him...

codes238
03-16-2009, 05:21 AM
lebron is not going to new york by the way, if the knicks dont resign nate and david lee he wouldnt have anyone to play with and if they do they wont have enough cap space to give him a max deal... lebron is one of the most famous highly endorsed athletes and if he keeps winning championships in cleveland that will only increase... i dont think he has any intention of screwing over his home state and the team and city that worship him... especially to get less money!

futureman
03-16-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't care how good lebron will be in 2010. We will be drafting god that year with new yorks unprotected pick if they don't do anything foolish like trade all of their expirings.

hotdogbun
03-16-2009, 12:53 PM
yes he can and he will in 2010-2011 season

IndyRealist
03-16-2009, 01:10 PM
I think he would. And I think he wouldn't be as great a player, because D'Antoni doesn't play D. And if he were going to play for the no-D Knicks, then it would be for the money and to pad his stats. I just can't respect a player that pads his stats.

LTS
03-16-2009, 01:17 PM
I know he wants to throw up the ROC but he very unlikely to have a title by then and he doesnt want to move to a rebuilding team. As for trip-dbl doubt it he has off nights when he shoots like **** and if hes under a coach who doesnt rebound then he will have less oppurtunties to shoot it up and money he wants will not allow for alot of finshers around him for assist.

prodigy
03-16-2009, 10:32 PM
I think he would. And I think he wouldn't be as great a player, because D'Antoni doesn't play D. And if he were going to play for the no-D Knicks, then it would be for the money and to pad his stats. I just can't respect a player that pads his stats.

once again what money? Knicks can't offer anything near what the cavs could.

Nirvanaskurdt
03-16-2009, 11:02 PM
For sure... under D'Antoni but he would need some help fo sho ... fo sho.:cool:

tbron
03-17-2009, 02:20 AM
i don't think he could get 10 boards and ast in a year.

madiaz3
03-17-2009, 03:00 AM
lebron is not going to new york by the way, if the knicks dont resign nate and david lee he wouldnt have anyone to play with and if they do they wont have enough cap space to give him a max deal... lebron is one of the most famous highly endorsed athletes and if he keeps winning championships in cleveland that will only increase... i dont think he has any intention of screwing over his home state and the team and city that worship him... especially to get less money!

this is uh....not true

Skin&Bones
03-17-2009, 05:27 AM
Yes lebron sure will and d antoni will make him a defensive prowess with his style of play just like what he did to amare with such fundamental skills :rolleyes:

lakersrock
03-17-2009, 12:39 PM
You guys voting yes are insane.

Oscar almost did it four times and did it once. He's the ONLY one. Nobody will ever do it again. In getting 10 APG every single game, you're relying on the other players to hit every game. Plus, if they keep David Lee, that's a lot of rebounds LeBron wouldn't get. Muchless if they add LeBron and a post guy. Nobody will ever average a triple double for a season.

Kidd has played forever and has 102 TD. You have to basically get around 75 to pull it off for an entire season. Does that put it in perspective?

BUCSFORLIFE123
03-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Not sure, but its possible. I think he would be over 30 ppg, maybe 9/9 on rbs, and asts.

avergaing a triple double nowdays is more like 1 in a billion not today with high competition level. dantonis system is fast and upbeat, but it doesnt mean his numbers will go increase that much . hed prolly get around 8.5 reb and 8.5 ast MAX. hes only averaging 7 and 7 and how u expect him to put up 10 and 10 on a nightly basis? if he wants to get 10 and 10 hed have to become more of a facilitator rather than a scorer, so his scoring would either stay as it is currently or lower, cuz grabbing rebounds youre not going for the fast break anymore

BUCSFORLIFE123
03-17-2009, 08:04 PM
You guys voting yes are insane.

Oscar almost did it four times and did it once. He's the ONLY one. Nobody will ever do it again. In getting 10 APG every single game, you're relying on the other players to hit every game. Plus, if they keep David Lee, that's a lot of rebounds LeBron wouldn't get. Muchless if they add LeBron and a post guy. Nobody will ever average a triple double for a season.

Kidd has played forever and has 102 TD. You have to basically get around 75 to pull it off for an entire season. Does that put it in perspective?

exactly people who voted yes woow. haha i expected prolly like a 1:50 ratio cuz there are some crackheads out there, but i guess theres alot

hockeypro68
03-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Lebron averaged 30, 8 and 7 last year and is doing almost the same this year. Put him on the Knicks and you don't think he can average 3 more assists and 2 more rebounds?? All those extra shots that get put up translate to more rebounds and assists. I think its possible, but he would have to be BALLIN night in and night out, in the prime of his career. Say what you want, speculate what you want, all I know is Lebron on the Knicks would be tight as hell. And they have a shiiiitload of $$ to spend in 2010, they can put nice pieces around Lebron.

JabberJaw
03-17-2009, 11:24 PM
I think he could atleast get close. D'Antoni doesn't know anything about defense. Look at the inflated stats the Suns put up under him. The only part that would be hard for him would be on the rebounding side, to avg 10+. Lebron could just leak out and just work up his stats. I can imagine him putting up insane numbers in NY

Nighthawk
03-17-2009, 11:31 PM
NO WAY!!!!!! He would probably gain more triple dubs in the season but i dont think anyone will ever average a triple double again. Especially with all the talent in this league. Lebron is the one guy i think who could do it. But no way. No happening

colinskik
03-17-2009, 11:59 PM
lol so he gets no marketing now? Ya lebron is hardly on TV, He only has over 30 commicals, hosted espys and SNL, been on the late shows. Own store in china. Already has a store in NY, so why go there lol.

So going to NY could hand him a couple more marketing deals, But 30mill worth? no.

Plus lebron wants to win. Cavs also have ALOT of money to spend in 2010, they could land bosh. wade won't leave the beach.
This kid just doesn't understand New York...
LeBron would be maving moves in NY like whoa what with all the players (entrepreneurial, that is, not literal basketball players) who would want a piece of him. There's more opportunity in NY for success on different levels compared to any other NBA city, especially Cleveland.

As for the triple double average, I voted yes but I think the question would be better stated: COULD he average a triple double. I think it's definitely possible given his season averages on pretty much a defensive-oriented team - at least a defensive-minded coach.

Also, I love how people love to say that David Lee only puts up the numbers he does because of D'Antoni's system and without it he would be garbage, yet they find it totally out of the question that Lebron wouldn't be able to snag a couple more rebounds and dish out a few more dimes in a system that creates WAY more shot opportunities. If anyone can do it, it's LBJ.

And to whoever used JKidd as an argument why Lebron couldn't average a trip doub -- JKidd is an amazing player but he's not Lebron. I don't think that needs anymore explaining.

jmastert
03-18-2009, 12:24 AM
how can u make this statement. This is completely opinionated.

BUCSFORLIFE123
03-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Lebron averaged 30, 8 and 7 last year and is doing almost the same this year. Put him on the Knicks and you don't think he can average 3 more assists and 2 more rebounds?? All those extra shots that get put up translate to more rebounds and assists. I think its possible, but he would have to be BALLIN night in and night out, in the prime of his career. Say what you want, speculate what you want, all I know is Lebron on the Knicks would be tight as hell. And they have a shiiiitload of $$ to spend in 2010, they can put nice pieces around Lebron.

that was 2 years ago and no putting him on the knicks wont make that much of a difference. it can go up to 8.5 a year , but 10 and 10 every night? no . you know how difficult it is to bring up reb and ast category in jus 1 season? its not very often or ever some1 average 7 and 7 and jumps to 10 and 10 , cmon use common sense, hes a shoot first type of player. or tell me this, how many SFs average 10 rebounds a game? or even 9 and it has to be a clear cut small forward, not so sf/pf like marion, he even doesnt avg 9 anymore

BUCSFORLIFE123
03-18-2009, 12:45 AM
NO WAY!!!!!! He would probably gain more triple dubs in the season but i dont think anyone will ever average a triple double again. Especially with all the talent in this league. Lebron is the one guy i think who could do it. But no way. No happening

yep if i had to choose a player who had the best chance of avergaing a triple double every night, itll be lebron, but nowadays with the talent. its a really small chance.