PDA

View Full Version : Getting started...

Wilson
03-15-2009, 11:50 AM
OK, so I've been thinking about trying to get into FIBA for a while now, but have never actually done so.

I was just wondering if anybody here could give me any advice? For example, which websites are good to go to for information and fixtures? Which teams are doing well at the moment? Which players should I look out for?

I also need a team to root for. I don't want to jump straight onto the bandwagon of what ever team is dominating, nor do I want to get attatched to a bottom feeder. One of the things I like about the Lakers and Steelers is that the owners of both teams are very dedicated to the team, which FIBA teams would be good for that?

Basically, all I know about FIBA basketball is that Brandon Jennings went there instead of college, and I've heard that Real Madrid are always a decent team because the owner (who also owns Real Madrid football club) puts a lot of money into the team (although I'm not sure if that's true or not).

I was thinking of just putting this in the check in thread, but I didn't want it to be taken over by me asking about all this stuff. Hopefully a mod doesn't deem this thread too off-topic...:pray:

EDIT: I should add that I'm from Manchester, England, but I don't think they've got too much going on in the basketball world. Also, I enjoy watching NBA teams that can play good defense and team ball...

JWalk126
03-15-2009, 03:14 PM
which continent would you prefer to follow?

there are 5 Official FIBA websites for the different regions

if you specifically want to follow a team who is in the Euroleague (Basketball's equivalence to the UEFA Champions League) or EuroCup (UEFA Cup)

I mean it's like FIFA, just that it's basketball and not football

Wilson
03-15-2009, 03:27 PM
which continent would you prefer to follow?

there are 5 Official FIBA websites for the different regions

if you specifically want to follow a team who is in the Euroleague (Basketball's equivalence to the UEFA Champions League) or EuroCup (UEFA Cup)

I mean it's like FIFA, just that it's basketball and not football

I really don't know. It would be good to catch some Euroleague games, even if I don't know anything about the teams involved. Are there any upcoming games you think are going to be good ones?

JWalk126
03-15-2009, 05:17 PM
the Euroleague Top 16 just ended last week and the 1st Quarter-Finals games are in about 2 weeks (March 26th)... Olympiacos vs Real Madrid should be good and thats the only game that I know will be online. the link has been posted a couple of times in this forum, so I'll give you that link if you want

the other matchups are
Barcelona vs TAU Ceramica
Panathinaikos vs Siena
CSKA Moscow vs Partizan Belgrade

if I find any links I'll post them

Wilson
03-15-2009, 05:25 PM
the Euroleague Top 16 just ended last week and the 1st Quarter-Finals games are in about 2 weeks (March 26th)... Olympiacos vs Real Madrid should be good and thats the only game that I know will be online. the link has been posted a couple of times in this forum, so I'll give you that link if you want

the other matchups are
Barcelona vs TAU Ceramica
Panathinaikos vs Siena
CSKA Moscow vs Partizan Belgrade

if I find any links I'll post them

Yeah any links would be awesome, thanks :cheers:

JWalk126
03-15-2009, 06:24 PM
just to actually get you started, there are some links in this thread
http://prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=294663

the 2nd post has websites if you want to check it out

the 1st post has links to threads that have been inactive for quite some time

Wilson
03-15-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks man :cheers:

lakers4sho
03-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Root for Spanish teams. They have one of the best international talent pool.

I recommend watching ACB games. Watch some DKV games, you'll get to see Ricky Rubio play.

...plus he's on the same team as Coby Karl :smoking:

Wilson
03-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Coby Karl! Well that just seals it...

I'm going to look more into this in a few days. For now, I'm getting ready to go away for a few days.

JWalk126
03-16-2009, 08:03 PM
Watch some DKV games, you'll get to see Ricky Rubio play.

that's assuming the team doesn't go bankrupt before season's end