PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent Class of 09: Nash to the Knicks and Boozer to the Pistons

Boston Faithful
03-15-2009, 11:28 AM
This offseason, I read on Newsday (one of the Metropolitan area's most major newspapers) that the Suns are considering letting Nash go on an early termination option this offseason because it will save them around nine million. There's no point in the Suns paying such a high payroll, up to 80 million dollars with a huge luxury tax hit if they aren't even going to make the playoffs. I would personally just implode the team, maybe trade Shaq to the Cavs after the Cavs don't reach the NBA Finals. It also speculated because of the intense market in 2010 and Nash's burning desire to play with D'Antoni - that he'd sign in New York for the mid-level exception. What do you think?

Secondly, the other major speculation is Boozer opting out and going to the Pistons for a major deal. This makes sense for a couple of reasons. The Pistons have more than enough cap (around 30 million) even after signing Boozer in 09 to sign one or two guys in 2010. Richard Hamilton, Amir Johnson, Kwame Brown and virtually all their players are off the books except for Prince, Stuckey (team option), Affalo (team option) and Maxiell. The Pistons could sign Boozer to a long term deal and sign Bosh the following offseason and have a lethal All-Star front court.

Wilson
03-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Secondly, the other major speculation is Boozer opting out and going to the Pistons for a major deal. This makes sense for a couple of reasons. The Pistons have more than enough cap (around 30 million) even after signing Boozer in 09 to sign one or two guys in 2010. Richard Hamilton, Amir Johnson, Kwame Brown and virtually all their players are off the books except for Prince, Stuckey (team option), Affalo (team option) and Maxiell. The Pistons could sign Boozer to a long term deal and sign Bosh the following offseason and have a lethal All-Star front court.

Hamilton signed an extention earlier this year, a three year one I think.

Boozer to the Pistons makes sense though, I read somewhere today that besides them, the only teams with cap room this summer are Oklahoma City and Memphis. I suppose Oklahoma could be worth a look for him to team with Durant, Green and Westbrook though :shrug:

Hellcrooner
03-15-2009, 11:39 AM
^if Okc gets the first they will have no need for a PF.

Wilson
03-15-2009, 11:42 AM

I wouldn't know, I have no knowledge of college basketball, so I know little about draft prospects and stuff...

madiaz3
03-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Stuckey
Rip
Tayshaun
Boozer
Wallace

I like it.

Wilson
03-15-2009, 11:56 AM
Stuckey
Rip
Tayshaun
Boozer
Wallace

I like it.

Is Rasheed definately re-signing in Detroit?

He's a guy I really want to see in LA, our bench (our whole team actually) could use some fire. I don't know if Rasheed would want to move across the country at this stage in his career though (how old is he now), for half the MLE or something (I don't think the Lakers would offer too much).

homestarunner93
03-15-2009, 12:12 PM
AI to the Bobcats on the MLE. :pray:

Hellcrooner
03-15-2009, 12:15 PM
actually wilson if they are releasing nash, he is the mle i woudl offer.

Wilson
03-15-2009, 12:16 PM
actually wilson if they are releasing nash, he is the mle i woudl offer.

Our biggest problem at PG has been defense. We don't need Steve Nash...

29$JerZ
03-15-2009, 12:17 PM
Nash to Knicks in 2009 is awesome :)
Even if we don't get LBJ in 2010 we have a lot of valuable contracts that expire in 2010, I'm sure some team will want to let a disgruntled star go before the FA 2010 and get nothing in return so we'll see.

Sportfan
03-15-2009, 12:31 PM
i think boozer would be nic in Detorit they need another big man threat rasheed is getting old

dtmagnet
03-15-2009, 12:42 PM
Nash has also expressed interest in playing out his career in Toronto.

durtee
03-15-2009, 12:55 PM
Boozer would be a great fit in Detroit. Sheed won't be resigning, so Maxiell or Amir would probably start next to Boozer unless they make another move...maybe for Chandler?

yojoe792
03-15-2009, 01:05 PM

Even if they get #2, they'll take Thabeet and have an incredibly deep PF core.

Fear_GAS_OLDier
03-15-2009, 01:17 PM
i said since d'antoni went to the knicks nash will follow, and i think maybe marion will if offered a contract(an addendum i just made)
i dont think bosh will go to NY unless james does, but since cleveland has done so much to get him talent and they are doin it hot, i dont think he's leaving, bosh seems like a loyal guy he apaprently loves it there and has not complained once or threatened to stop dunking lol, wade already said he is going to finish his career in miami if they let him, so i think the big 3 will stay put unless james moves to NY then bosh will, nash will go to NY not just becuz of the coach but becuz the suns suck now

superkegger
03-15-2009, 01:18 PM
I've also heard similar sentiment that the SUns could decline the team option on him. If they miss the playoffs, like it seems surely they will, I think I'd have to agree. Blow it up. Get the pieces to have a young talented core next summer to possibly sign someone, or re sign amare and contend in 2 years.

As for boozer, it seems like he would fit in detoir. Not sure exactly what the plan is for the pistons, but with Rip, Prince, and Stuckey as they core, and guys like Afflalo, Maxiell, and Amir. They have a nice core. If Sheed and McDyess stay around, which I think is doubtful for sheed, the pistons could be on their way to another good run, if they get boozer.

Fear_GAS_OLDier
03-15-2009, 01:19 PM
another addendum, idk, idc about boozer, it'd be nice if he went to the eastern conference of memphis or okc becuz then maybe barkley will shutup about how the jazz are the best in the west. doesnt really matter as a laker fan as their pretty much the best in the west (no homer, just its true) only team thats given us trouble is orlando

lakerboy
03-15-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm not so sure about Nash joining New York. What the hell would he get in NY? They aren't winning a championship, and they have 2 PGs already. PHX should just definitely hold onto Nash and try to trade him, if he has any value left.

As for the Lakers, I'd pass on Nash (other poster is right, we need defense!) I'd make a run on Jason Kidd though.

Wilson
03-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Boozer would be a great fit in Detroit. Sheed won't be resigning, so Maxiell or Amir would probably start next to Boozer unless they make another move...maybe for Chandler?

A front court of Chandler/Boozer/Prince would be pretty good. I don't like Boozer and Maxiell starting though, they wouldn't have anyone over 6'10" starting...

Wilson
03-15-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm not so sure about Nash joining New York. What the hell would he get in NY? They aren't winning a championship, and they have 2 PGs already. PHX should just definitely hold onto Nash and try to trade him, if he has any value left.

As for the Lakers, I'd pass on Nash (other poster is right, we need defense!) I'd make a run on Jason Kidd though.

I don't even think Kidd has much to offer defensively anymore...

durtee
03-15-2009, 03:30 PM
A front court of Chandler/Boozer/Prince would be pretty good. I don't like Boozer and Maxiell starting though, they wouldn't have anyone over 6'10" starting...

Yeah I like Chandler as well. Also not a big fan of Maxiell starting either. If they don't get another guy like Chandler, then they could always keep McDyess for another year. Maybe Amir would up to the challenge of starting next year and then having guys like Max and Dyess off the bench would be nice as well.

Lakerfrk
03-15-2009, 03:56 PM
I think Nash (who is one of my very favorite players by the way) would be stupid to go to New York... He's already had two contracts that are close to max deals.. he has the money...

If he wants a ring, he'd be smart to go to the Lakers for the MLE... BUT he could also go to the Rockets... making them a whole lot better.

Wilson
03-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Yeah I like Chandler as well. Also not a big fan of Maxiell starting either. If they don't get another guy like Chandler, then they could always keep McDyess for another year. Maybe Amir would up to the challenge of starting next year and then having guys like Max and Dyess off the bench would be nice as well.

Amir is another guy who might be too small to start in the front court with Boozer. If the Pistons can get Booz though, then they're definately in good position to become players in the East again.

I think Nash (who is one of my very favorite players by the way) would be stupid to go to New York... He's already had two contracts that are close to max deals.. he has the money...

If he wants a ring, he'd be smart to go to the Lakers for the MLE... BUT he could also go to the Rockets... making them a whole lot better.

Well the stuff I've heard is that Nash would go to New York for the MLE, I doubt they'd break the bank for him.

Again, I don't want him in LA because he's just no good defensively...

Lakerfrk
03-15-2009, 09:23 PM
Well the stuff I've heard is that Kidd would go to New York for the MLE, I doubt they'd break the bank for him.

Again, I don't want him in LA because he's just no good defensively...

I was talking about Nash.... not Kidd... I don't want Kidd.

Wilson
03-15-2009, 10:06 PM
I was talking about Nash.... not Kidd... I don't want Kidd.

That was a typo, I meant to type Nash...:p

We don't really have any use for either of them though...

Monster_Game
03-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Boozer to the Pistons seems like it could work out very well. My real concerns is where AI will end up? It will be very interesting to see which team would want to risk picking him up, and for how much.

SteveNash
03-15-2009, 11:15 PM
Pistons need to stay the hell away from Boozer. He's only played in 60% of the Jazz's games since he arrived their. And signing him to a contract would leave Kwame and some other bad MLE level center as the only option to start.

Monster_Game
03-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Pistons need to stay the hell away from Boozer. He's only played in 60% of the Jazz's games since he arrived their. And signing him to a contract would leave Kwame and some other bad MLE level center as the only option to start.

Personally, I think every single NBA team should just turn Boozer away and leave him teamless, as a way to send a message to all players like him that they will not be tolerated. But realistically, no team will do that .

Wilson
03-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Boozer to the Pistons seems like it could work out very well. My real concerns is where AI will end up? It will be very interesting to see which team would want to risk picking him up, and for how much.

I don't think Iverson is a risk. With the right players around him, he can still be a very good player on a good team. It will be interesting to see how much teams want to offer him though.

mzgrizz
03-16-2009, 12:02 AM
I wonder if Memphis can afford Boozer and AI??

Wilson
03-16-2009, 12:05 AM
I wonder if Memphis can afford Boozer and AI??

They have cap space, and Boozer may make sense to team up with Gasol in the front court.

I don't know why they'd want Iverson though, they already have Mayo and Gay out on the perimeter...

mrblisterdundee
03-16-2009, 12:34 AM
Hamilton signed an extention earlier this year, a three year one I think.

Boozer to the Pistons makes sense though, I read somewhere today that besides them, the only teams with cap room this summer are Oklahoma City and Memphis. I suppose Oklahoma could be worth a look for him to team with Durant, Green and Westbrook though :shrug:

Carlos Boozer wouldn't fit in with Jeff Greene around. Greene has already become a solid starting power forward. Kevin Durant is obviously best when playing as a small forward, so they won't make him a guard again. Considering their near deal with New Orleans, the Thunder are looking for a bigger, defensive-minded center. The Thunder need a veteran leader at the shooting guard position the most.

IversonIsKrazy
03-16-2009, 12:39 AM
it is going to be interesting where AI ends up, as Nash. One of the posts said only Pistons, Thunder and Grizzlies can afford Boozer. I think Thunder & Grizzlies r going to have high picks and draft players like Griffin, J-Hill, Thabeet, Brackins, Monroe and so on. I dont think they'll want Boozer after, espically after guys like Griffin & Hill. I do c Pistons signing Boozer, they'll be a pretty good team. I wonder where AI will end up though, im hoping the rockets, and then the 1st game t-mac is out 4 the season, which leades the line-up of AI-Artest-Battier-Scola-Yao.

Heres wut i wanna c happen w/ my teams in the 09 off-season.

Spurs: Dont re-sign Udoka, Vaughn, Finley. Sign Marvin Williams to full MLE.
Lakers: Dont re-sign Odom, sign a big-man back-up like Chris Wilcox for cheap.
Raptors: A whole lotta changes!

And apparently a lot of ppl think AI will fluorish w/ bobcats, which i dont think he'll sign, but man would that be interesting. Augustin-AI-Wallace-Okafor-? under Larry Brown.

DreamShaker
03-16-2009, 01:03 AM
Even if they get #2, they'll take Thabeet and have an incredibly deep PF core.

UGH that guy is gonna be a massive bust...

Duncan = Donkey
03-16-2009, 01:22 AM
lol, they wont let nash go for nothing. if he does go somewhere he will be traded

LA_Raiders
03-16-2009, 01:30 AM
Makes sence, but Shaq to Clev? $20M/yr??? no way, he stays put in Pho...

DreamShaker
03-16-2009, 01:43 AM
Makes sence, but Shaq to Clev? $20M/yr??? no way, he stays put in Pho...

He's a huge expiring contract for somebody looking to make a one year push....

futureman
03-16-2009, 05:27 PM
So the knicks would basically turn into the phoenix suns again huh? Nash is way it wouldn't threaten our arrangement if he went ther I suppose.

Wilson
03-16-2009, 05:35 PM
Carlos Boozer wouldn't fit in with Jeff Greene around. Greene has already become a solid starting power forward. Kevin Durant is obviously best when playing as a small forward, so they won't make him a guard again. Considering their near deal with New Orleans, the Thunder are looking for a bigger, defensive-minded center. The Thunder need a veteran leader at the shooting guard position the most.

I don't know too much about that team, but I thought Durant could play some SG, with Green at SF. If it is right that Durant can't play SF though, then yeah it wouldn't make too much sense to go after Boozer.

twoearl
03-16-2009, 06:57 PM
I think signing boozer to a long term deal would be a HUGE mistake for the Pistons. Boozer is ALWAYS hurt. He hasn't played a full season in god knows when. He reminds me of Elton Brand in that they are good big men when healthy but they are only healthy 35% of the time.

If i were the pistons I would sit on their cap space and make a major run at Bosh in 2010.

NYM09
03-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Nash to the Knicks makes the most since to me when you consider where the team is at now, and the position they want to be in for next year. They have shown to be a team trying to compete for a playoff spot and Nash would be the perfect guy to get the Knicks into the playoffs as a 6-8 seed next year.Also when you consider Duhon would be in his final year and he is the only PG the Knicks have. Knicks already have cleared Cap space for 2010 and will probably bring back Lee and Harrington will probably take his player option for the one year, and with the departure of Marbury and Nate not resigning they have the room to sign a guy like Nash, which makes the team more attractable as a playoff bound team for anyone who might sign with them in 2010.The Knicks will have a payroll of $69,877,946 next year so they have the money.

2009-2010 Knicks
PG-Nash
SG-Hughes
SF-Chandler
PF-Harrington
C-Lee
6.Duhon
7.Gallinari
8.2009 Draft Pick
9.Jeffries
10.Curry

McJoe
03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
every single move the Knicks have made in the last like 3 years has been to clear cap for the 2010 offseason and Lebron James. No way they sign Nash. Also no way he goes for the mid-level exception.

mzgrizz
03-17-2009, 12:32 AM
They have cap space, and Boozer may make sense to team up with Gasol in the front court.

I don't know why they'd want Iverson though, they already have Mayo and Gay out on the perimeter...

I'd want him as another 3 point threat. Rudy can be so off and on, and lately,so has OJ. Another reason is to sell some seats! !!! AI can do that in Memphis IMO.

dodie53
03-17-2009, 12:54 AM
i like for Nash to go to a contender,
i think anyone knows he deserves to get a ring, even by just riding the coattails of someone.

Duncan = Donkey
03-17-2009, 01:11 AM
Nash to the Knicks makes the most since to me when you consider where the team is at now, and the position they want to be in for next year. They have shown to be a team trying to compete for a playoff spot and Nash would be the perfect guy to get the Knicks into the playoffs as a 6-8 seed next year.Also when you consider Duhon would be in his final year and he is the only PG the Knicks have. Knicks already have cleared Cap space for 2010 and will probably bring back Lee and Harrington will probably take his player option for the one year, and with the departure of Marbury and Nate not resigning they have the room to sign a guy like Nash, which makes the team more attractable as a playoff bound team for anyone who might sign with them in 2010.The Knicks will have a payroll of $69,877,946 next year so they have the money.

2009-2010 Knicks
PG-Nash
SG-Hughes
SF-Chandler
PF-Harrington
C-Lee
6.Duhon
7.Gallinari
8.2009 Draft Pick
9.Jeffries
10.Curry

nash wonnt go anywhere in the offseason unless he is traded. they wont let him go for nothing, he still has good trade value.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is just, well stupid.

blackjack_119
03-17-2009, 11:17 AM
nash wonnt go anywhere in the offseason unless he is traded. they wont let him go for nothing, he still has good trade value.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is just, well stupid.

Any Phoenix fan who thinks Sarver will make a "basketball move" rather than save money is just, well stupid.