PDA

View Full Version : Stephon Marbury

STARBURY*3
03-14-2009, 09:09 PM
As you guys can prolly tell by my name, im a huge stephon marbury fan. have been ever since i saw him play at georgia tech.

anyways...

Although Stephon doesnt make great decisions, you cnt deny his talent. Before this season, he was the only player in nba history to average 20 points and 8 assits for his career. him and oscar robertson. you also cant deny hes a very exciting player to watch because of his flash and swagger.

My question is:

where do you think stephon would be in his career if he had his head on straight?if he made better off court decisions?

i think hed be an MVP candidate year in and year out because of his talent.

your thoughts?

(and try not to give a biased answer if you really hate him or really love him. just give me your honest opinion)

codes238
03-14-2009, 09:19 PM
he couldve been the next isiah thomas if he had his head on straight, but i dont really like these "if you could change a players personality and IQ threads"... i mean if you could change gerald greens brain he couldve been the next kobe...

superkegger
03-14-2009, 09:25 PM
he couldve been the next isiah thomas if he had his head on straight, but i dont really like these "if you could change a plaers personality and IQ threads"... i mean if you could change gerald greens brain he couldve been the next kobe...

It made me chuckle that you said he could have been the next Zeke, oh the irony.

dolfan720
03-14-2009, 09:37 PM
he needs to find a starting job first!

pete_one
03-14-2009, 09:40 PM
he would've been like chauncey billups

STARBURY*3
03-14-2009, 09:45 PM
i dont think some of u remeber how amazing he and kg played together in minni. they were called the next stockon and malone. let marbury become comfortable with the offesnse, let kg come back. boston will easily repeat

jrodmesche
03-14-2009, 09:49 PM
he would be a dirty point guard

STARBURY*3
03-14-2009, 09:59 PM

i have mad respect for billups and i think hes a great player, but i marburys skill level is much much higher then chaunceys.

NYK|NYY
03-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Marbury had all the talent in the world, too bad hes such an idiot because if he was dedicated to winning and had a team attitude he really could of been special. But I'm saying what everyone already knows.

VCaintdead17
03-14-2009, 10:17 PM
God, alot of people don't know how to answer a simple question. I think that if he kept his head on straight, he would of been an MVP candidate about three years ago. But in todays terms, he would be considered one of those point guards that are on the decline, but can still be a major difference maker. Kinda like Steve Nash and Jason Kidd. Also, if he wasn't messed up in the head and kept his playing straight throughout his career, I think he would have a legacy similar to Kidd's and Nash's.

charlsdq7
03-14-2009, 10:26 PM
Close to what Billups is

Sportfan
03-14-2009, 11:02 PM
better to what he is now ill tell you that

69centers
03-14-2009, 11:32 PM

??? Really weird post considering Marbury is pretty far above Chauncy in career numbers:

Marbury 19.6 PPG / 7.7 APG over 12 years
Billups 15.1 PPG /5.5 APG over 11 years

If you're talking about winning a title, he's going to do it this year with the C's! :p

Chronz
03-15-2009, 01:01 AM
i have mad respect for billups and i think hes a great player, but i marburys skill level is much much higher then chaunceys.

Based on what? Starbury never had the off-ball/defensive abilities Chauncey had, he was blessed athletically but that has nothing to do with skill.

Chronz
03-15-2009, 01:03 AM
??? Really weird post considering Marbury is pretty far above Chauncy in career numbers:

Marbury 19.6 PPG / 7.7 APG over 12 years
Billups 15.1 PPG /5.5 APG over 11 years

If you're talking about winning a title, he's going to do it this year with the C's! :p

Thats a dumb way of looking at it, hes going to win a title as a little used reserve. And statistically most people dont embrace Chauncey's superior efficiency.

Wilson
03-15-2009, 09:25 AM

But him and Billups are completely different. Marbury was a much flashier player than Billups.

God, alot of people don't know how to answer a simple question. I think that if he kept his head on straight, he would of been an MVP candidate about three years ago. But in todays terms, he would be considered one of those point guards that are on the decline, but can still be a major difference maker. Kinda like Steve Nash and Jason Kidd. Also, if he wasn't messed up in the head and kept his playing straight throughout his career, I think he would have a legacy similar to Kidd's and Nash's.

Agreed, that's pretty much what I wanted to say...

IRUAM #21
03-15-2009, 12:08 PM
It made me chuckle that you said he could have been the next Zeke, oh the irony.

:laugh:

STARBURY*3
03-15-2009, 02:17 PM
Based on what? Starbury never had the off-ball/defensive abilities Chauncey had, he was blessed athletically but that has nothing to do with skill.

bro. like i said. i have mad respect for billups, but everyone who has watched marbury knows. his scoing ability is far superior. his passing skills are far superior. he ball handling skills are far superior. im not even just saying that because hes my favorie player. im saying that because its a fact.

dee279
03-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Well this thread wouldnt be put up but it is so guess da head on strait thing aint happenin

dee279
03-15-2009, 02:41 PM
but to answer the question, yes he would be really good, and i agree on the Gerald Green thing, not Kobe but he would be acknowlegded as a really good player because of his skills and potential to be a really good player

miller
03-15-2009, 02:49 PM
If he made better decisions he would have been a great imo. He was in his prime still an elite PG.

Rocco007
03-15-2009, 02:57 PM
I saw Marbury play early on as a HS prodigy..Yes he's always had tantalizing talent...Great footwork..moves effortlessly on the court..Can pass and shoot.Strong for a PG his size..
Marbury's career is not a great one but still good..Lets be honest, he still made millions.. But still disappointing not so much because of his past decision making though..The problem he has had is that no one really knows his style of leadership as a franchise PG because he's never been one... He was never able to develop that part of his game due to not having the desire or perhaps not having the BBall IQ to maximize his potential in the big leagues..He is what he is..Thats why the Kobes and Lebrons of the world that stretch their talent to the limit are truly special.

STARBURY*3
03-15-2009, 04:09 PM
I saw Marbury play early on as a HS prodigy..Yes he's always had tantalizing talent...Great footwork..moves effortlessly on the court..Can pass and shoot.Strong for a PG his size..
Marbury's career is not a great one but still good..Lets be honest, he still made millions.. But still disappointing not so much because of his past decision making thouguh..The problem he has had is that no one really knows his style of leadership as a franchise PG because he's never been one... He was never able to develop that part of his game due to not having the desire or perhaps not having the BBall IQ to maximize his potential in the big leagues..He is what he is..Thats why the Kobes and Lebrons of the world that stretch their talent to the limit are truly special.

2002-2003 he CARRIED the suns to the playoffs. that team had an undeveloped amare, marion, and scrubs. he put the team on his shoulders and brought them to the playoffs with great competitive drive and leadership. people act like this is a guy that doesnt care about winning. ive followed him throughout his career. he cares about winning more then anything. if you saw his emotions during his career when he was winning youd know

Rocco007
03-15-2009, 06:34 PM
2002-2003 he CARRIED the suns to the playoffs. that team had an undeveloped amare, marion, and scrubs. he put the team on his shoulders and brought them to the playoffs with great competitive drive and leadership. people act like this is a guy that doesnt care about winning. ive followed him throughout his career. he cares about winning more then anything. if you saw his emotions during his career when he was winning youd know

12 years in this league and you can only muster one moment..By the same token..Kidd goes to NJ in the trade and takes them to Back to Back finals...He gets traded from Phoe to NY..Phoe takes off the next season..Its not like Marbury hasn't played with talented players..His biggest disappointment I must say is having an opprotunity to finish his career with his hometown Knicks and a chance to revive a storied franchise..He couldn' even tget out of 1st gear..I like Marbury but I stopped making excuses for him years ago..