PDA

View Full Version : In retrospect: Would you do it the Joe Johnson way?

arlubas
03-14-2009, 10:47 AM
So Joe Johnson was a main piece of Phoenix back in the 04-05 season when they were the next hot thing in the world of the NBA. Joe then decided the following summer to bolt and head over to Atlanta for a chance to come to his own and be acknowledged as a go to guy. He did it and the Hawks have become after a lot of years of irrelevance to be a factor in the east again. Back in Phoenix however he would've had 2 or 3 shots at earning a title (or more).

So the question is, what would you do if you were Joe Johnson in 2005? Would you go for the spotlight or would you go for the ultimate goal (which is to win a ring)?

PS: I ain't dissing on JJ for doing so, every man makes his own decisions and Joe has done pretty nice for himself the past 3 something years.

GiantMetKnick
03-14-2009, 11:20 AM
The decision isn't that simple. You're forgetting about money - the choice wasn't just good team or bad team. The Hawks were likely willing to pay a lot more than the Suns, as the Suns already had to pay other stars. Therefore, would you pass up millions to play with a better team (at that time)? Maybe he was convinced that in two years the Hawks would be better anyway. Maybe he preferred the living environment in Atlanta more than Phoenix. You're oversimplifying a complex situation, and I think it's unfair to do that.

Hellcrooner
03-14-2009, 11:32 AM
The money was very different and he will be a FA next season and still be young.

So he did the right thing.

+ No defense, no title, sad as it sounds but still true, he wold have not won one.

bostncelts34
03-14-2009, 11:37 AM
The decision isn't that simple. You're forgetting about money - the choice wasn't just good team or bad team. The Hawks were likely willing to pay a lot more than the Suns, as the Suns already had to pay other stars. Therefore, would you pass up millions to play with a better team (at that time)? Maybe he was convinced that in two years the Hawks would be better anyway. Maybe he preferred the living environment in Atlanta more than Phoenix. You're oversimplifying a complex situation, and I think it's unfair to do that.

absolutely agree.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
03-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Can't fault the man for tryin to make a little paper

tbell33
03-14-2009, 12:02 PM
This subject bothers me for many reasons, I'm a suns fan and when the JJ situation happened the suns were doomed. The suns had a chance to resign JJ in the middle of the season for less money and decided to wait till the offseason(Sarver). Then the suns offered 5 year deal for 45 Million, JJ Wanted 5 years 50 million. Only 5 million difference not hugh but shame on both parties neither agreed. So the suns told JJ to test the market being a restricted free agent and they would match any offer he got. JJ only going to get better and with potential after he gave the suns 15 points a night found atlanta. Atlanta offered 5 years 70 million with 20 million in the first year. Well cheap (sarver) had him at 50 million and pooped an egg. So the sign and trade happened to atlanta for Doris diaw and 2 first round picks later became (Robin Lopez). JJ May have wanted to be the MAN but he would have stayed. The suns used the media and story to look good. This deal doomed the Suns, The day JJ was trade the day I stoped rooting for the suns. Joe Johnson did and still doing the right thing. Joe Johnson 3 all-star appearances going to be 2 playoff appearances and going to get big money in 2010 being the only true free-agent.

Drtino
03-14-2009, 12:04 PM
Given the chance to earn a higher potential contract, there's no way that someone can pass up that option nowadays. His situation in Pheonix wasn't quite accomodating for him at the time and like Giantme mentioned there could've been some other reasons that made him signed the Hawk's contract.
This decision brought up a good chance that he was going to be the main objective of a Franchise surge in the East and didn't have to fight for his stardom potential with the rest of the Pheonix star players, therefore minimizing contract earning negotiations with the Pheonix Suns when time was due.

So...."Yes", I would do it again.

Drtino
03-14-2009, 12:14 PM
This subject bothers me for many reasons, I'm a suns fan and when the JJ situation happened the suns were doomed. The suns had a chance to resign JJ in the middle of the season for less money and decided to wait till the offseason(Sarver). Then the suns offered 5 year deal for 45 Million, JJ Wanted 5 years 50 million. Only 5 million difference not hugh but shame on both parties neither agreed. So the suns told JJ to test the market being a restricted free agent and they would match any offer he got. JJ only going to get better and with potential after he gave the suns 15 points a night found atlanta. Atlanta offered 5 years 70 million with 20 million in the first year. Well cheap (sarver) had him at 50 million and pooped an egg. So the sign and trade happened to atlanta for Doris diaw and 2 first round picks later became (Robin Lopez). JJ May have wanted to be the MAN but he would have stayed. The suns used the media and story to look good. This deal doomed the Suns, The day JJ was trade the day I stoped rooting for the suns. Joe Johnson did and still doing the right thing. Joe Johnson 3 all-star appearances going to be 2 playoff appearances and going to get big money in 2010 being the only true free-agent.

Yep, now I remember that Sarver was the other part of the reason why Joe Johnson is not a part of the Suns team nowadays...

But in any case they didn't do that bad... they had chances to get to the finals, they were just outplayed at the end with buzzer beaters.

IndyRealist
03-14-2009, 12:32 PM

:clap:

Hellcrooner
03-14-2009, 12:34 PM
yeah suns owner is a bit of a rat about money, how much better would be for them ( and for the players) if he didnt hand down sergio rodriguez and rudy fernandez for JUST MONEY to the Blazers.

Devils05
03-14-2009, 01:16 PM
yeah suns owner is a bit of a rat about money, how much better would be for them ( and for the players) if he didnt hand down sergio rodriguez and rudy fernandez for JUST MONEY to the Blazers.That wasn't that big of a deal when you think that he also passed Rondo to the Celtics.

Drtino
03-14-2009, 01:22 PM
You guys are missing on the main concept here...

The Suns had a good core: Nash, Marion, Amare and they were winning games like no other team...a buzzer beater against the Spurs, another buzzer beater against the Lakers and so on during the playoffs... and the story of the Suns could've been written in a different way.

I do believe the Suns just were unlucky and half a second too late in guarding or blocking the ball while its path already took flight on its trayectory to the rim.

Drtino
03-14-2009, 01:38 PM
That wasn't that big of a deal when you think that he also passed Rondo to the Celtics.

Don't know about that...
Rondo came to this league averaging 6.4 points a game and even though he was a good guard, he wasn't a top notch desirable PG.
After he started having more confidence in himself playing alongside "The Big Three", he started developing his game more and more with any new game.

If he was with the Suns, Do you guys think that Rondo will get any playing time over Nash and develop his game?
I find that really doubtful.

heyman321
03-14-2009, 01:47 PM
The money was very different and he will be a FA next season and still be young.

So he did the right thing.

+ No defense, no title, sad as it sounds but still true, he wold have not won one.

Nah I believe the Suns would have won at least 2 titles by now. Probably in 04-05 if Johnson didn't break his face, and definitely in 06-07 if the suspensions didn't occur, and WITH Joe Johnson in 06-07, oh man, they would have been DAN-GER-OUS.

Kakaroach
03-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Nash+JJ+Marion+Amare = A championship, maybe two and contenders every year.

dre1990
03-14-2009, 02:38 PM
He made a great choice.