PDA

View Full Version : what to think of the braves so far

samanjerry
03-14-2009, 01:22 AM
im cautiously excited about the upcoming season seeing what the braves are doing during spring training.

the pitching looks pretty dam good. from starting pitching to the bullpen. lowe is looking like the ace we've been looking for. vaz jj and the kawa look solid as well. the fight for the 5th spot is very interesting. i know the braves plan on using glavine for that spot and lets hope he is strong enough to be effective, but jojo and hanson are pitching so well. jojo looks like he's ready to be a major league pitcher and hanson has been getting better as the SP rolls along. as for the bullpen im so glad to see GONZO and MOYlAN being healthy again. im not too sure about Soriano hes always such a injury risk, it seems like the braves were hoping for the better when they signed him to an extension even though he had history of injury.

as for the offense, its hard to know exactly what they are capable of since anderson chip and b-mac are out. everyones been hitting with such high averages.
the expected starters and the bench players. as expected the power isnt really there but hey if you got alot of people hitting doubles thats just as good. even frankys hitting the last few games.

everything ive seen so far gives me reasons to be optomistic but it IS just SP its not like they face the best pitching every at bat but so far pretty good. what do you guys like or dislike so far?

hawksd911
03-14-2009, 07:43 AM
Well i mean how couldnt we like whats happening and we havnt had a bad injury yet.

miltdawg01
03-14-2009, 11:42 AM
I read an article (I think I followed the link from PSD) the other day that had the quote of the year so far. The article was from Thursday and basically said (paraphrasing here)...

"You can't really put all that much stock in a Spring Training record, but 10-2 sure beats the heck out of 2-10."

While a ST 10-2 record shows reason for cautious optimism, do you realize how many people would be ready to crucify this team if they were an equally meaningless 2-10?!

Great quote! Go Bravos!

Joe Smoe
03-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Its way to early to guess of course. So many teams are horrible during the spring, and then turn on the burners as soon as the season starts. Others run it like a marathon and come on late and win it.

Your words "cautiously excited" sum it up for me. We are still the underdogs, and I like it! Less room to fall, and more excitment if we dont!

Brawler47
03-15-2009, 03:15 AM
Hanson is making a huge bid at starting this year with the big club. The whole team is looking really good.

iamaj
03-15-2009, 07:09 AM
+1 to "cautiously excited." Frenchy turning it on over the past couple of games makes me very happy. Chipper hurting his oblique (I got flashbacks and had a seizure when I first heard) and batting .000 doesn't thrill, but it is just spring. I know it is just a pissing contest, but I wanted him to show up Wright because I think the Mets' golden boy gets too much attention (and thus undeserved rewards. He won the Gold Glove? Seriously?) I want to embrace Wright because of his political leanings, but I just can't. He's a player I just loathe, so I hope Chipper blows it up soon before the US is eliminated (which looks to be sooner than later judging by how Puerto Rico crushed us...btw, Puerto Rico is a territory, so shouldn't they be with Team USA?).

Sadly, I only saw that one game on ESPN, so I can only base my opinions off box scores and Internet reports.