PDA

View Full Version : James Parr Hurting Own Bid to Make Majors?

utahjazzno12fan
03-14-2009, 12:33 AM
Just wondering, does a young player getting involved in politics hurt his chances of making it to the majors or does it make no difference.

http://deadspin.com/5169553/james-parrs-not-buying-into-all-this-obama-hype

flea
03-14-2009, 12:44 AM
I doubt anybody who matters gives a **** what baseball players think about politics. Most especially what a minor-league baseball player thinks.

rtgthree
03-14-2009, 12:56 AM
No differnce whatsoever. I have seen fans lamenting how this will "reflect badly on the organization." Gimme a break. The man is allowed to have whatever political views he wants, and those views do not represent the team in any way. Had he said something offensive or harmful, maybe he'd be in hot water, but his statement was nothing more than a political opinion. Deadspin (the blog to which you link) is wrong to even use the word "racist" in its post...that's just unnecessarily incendiary.

It would preferable if he would just keep to himself on those issues, but in this case, he has done absolutely nothing wrong.

SilverAndBlue
03-14-2009, 01:02 AM
I personally wouldn't be surprised if the media went wild with it and made more out of it than it really is. There's such an infatuation with the media and Obama anyways. If someone votes against Obama or doesn't agree with his policies, he's automatically racist. At least thats how they would be portrayed. I think it's disgusting. I applaud Parr for expressing his thoughts. It's a free country still, for now. He still has that right.

flea
03-14-2009, 01:21 AM
I'm an Obama supporter and I'm ****ing sick of hearing people sucking his dick too. The man has gotten his criticism lately and that's good, he needs it. But honestly, how can the media "go wild" when some ****** minor league pitcher who nobody outside of Atlanta and Braves die-hards has heard of states his political views?

GLASSMAN
03-14-2009, 07:41 AM
In a perfect world (order) it should make no difference at all. To think or imply that a man's political opinion about the economy or the president makes him racist is nothing less than sniping. It's fairly predictable how the readers of that article from that source would react so it should be of little value. Hopefully the contributors to this forum can rise above the obvious intent and focus on the prize.

In regard to Parr's performance, he's had a good spring. Hopefully he'll continue to impress and make it increasingly difficult (in a good way) to fill out our rotation.

lavell12
03-14-2009, 09:11 AM
I doubt it hurts it might help with the Braves. Maybe it would have hurt when Ted Turner owned the team. But considering Cox and JS are both Republicans it might help. It might have helped Glavine to.

Slash
03-14-2009, 12:23 PM
I don't see the big deal. He was asked a question and he respectfully answered it. After all, it wasn't as if he first sought a reporter to speak his opinion.

bravefan4life
03-14-2009, 08:16 PM
He has my support. People need to be able to speak their minds and he did.

thomass
03-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Parr 2012

Joe Smoe
03-14-2009, 10:25 PM
I personally do not think his comments about Obama were not that bad at all.

"I'm not saying he's bad or good, but he's not the savior. With the economy, he acts like it's America's own fault we're in this."

I wonder what John Rocker would have to say on the subject....... now that would have been a story! Or Garry Sheffield!

rtgthree
03-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Parr 2012

Alas, he'll be too young to run for President. Hopefully he'll be busy holding down the back end of our rotation at that point anyway.

iamaj
03-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Obama's name and image is everywhere. The election was 5 months ago. Let the guy govern to the best of his abilities. I am sick about hearing about him, too. When he makes executive (i.e. doing his job), sure I want to hear the news, but it's okay not to drink the Kool-Aid be sick of all the hype. Parr dislikes the hype and all the talk. That doesn't mean he's a racist, which is too serious a criticism to be tossed around like it has.

Will it hurt Parr? I doubt it. Schilling promoted right-wing views in Boston and walked out alive (and with a roster spot until injuries took him down), so Parr just has to have the success of Schilling and he'll be fine ;)