PDA

View Full Version : 76ers playing their last game at the Spectrum tonight

pd7631
03-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Philadelphians had the pleasure of witnessing their first championship as a sports fan at the Spectrum. Others, like myself, witnessed their first hockey fight or their first Springsteen concert there. I also had a chance to see some of Philadelphia's best ever from the Doctor to Sir Charles as well as legends of the game like Kareem and Jordan.

The boys will lace them up and fill the seats of America's Showplace one last time as the Sixers host the Chicago Bulls. To be honest, most fans are looking forward to the highlight reels and the appearances of the old timers.

link:http://www.the700level.com/2009/03/philadelphia-sixers-final-spectrum-game-against-the-chicago-bulls.html

I think it's great that the Sixers have decided to play one last game at the Spectrum before it is torn down.

Since this is the NBA forum and not the 76ers forum, I'd like to get your thoughts on NBA arenas and how the only arena with a unique name left is MSG.

Do you think that arena's and stadiums will ever go back to unique names like: The Great Western Forum, The Spectrum, Madison Square Garden, etc.?

What are your memories of the Spectrum or any other old arena?

abe_froman
03-13-2009, 05:29 PM
thought they'd do such thing inbetween seasons,not while it's ongoing

and no,the age of those type of stadium names are gone,too much revenue is gotten from naming rights,hell if such legendary names like the boston garden can lose out,no ones safe

superkegger
03-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Pretty cool that they're doing that.

To answer your question, no, arenas will continue to have corporate sponsorship. Or at least a majority of them will. However I don't think that necessarily makes them less desirable or less fantastic. They're are always the great stadiums and arenas, but just because something is new doesn't mean in can't develop a history of it's own. The United Center and Staples Center are already developing their own rich history and just because their named after corporations, I don't think it diminishes it at all

superkegger
03-13-2009, 05:33 PM
thought they'd do such thing inbetween seasons,not while it's ongoing

and no,the age of those type of stadium names are gone,too much revenue is gotten from naming rights,hell if such legendary names like the boston garden can lose out,no ones safe

agreed. But for example, look at Wrigley Field. While not a corporate sponsorship, it was named after the Ownder of Wrigley's (the gum). It's just a name in the end. What makes such places special is the history that happened there, not the name it goes by.

pd7631
03-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Pretty cool that they're doing that.

To answer your question, no, arenas will continue to have corporate sponsorship. Or at least a majority of them will. However I don't think that necessarily makes them less desirable or less fantastic. They're are always the great stadiums and arenas, but just because something is new doesn't mean in can't develop a history of it's own. The United Center and Staples Center are already developing their own rich history and just because their named after corporations, I don't think it diminishes it at all

what if those arenas change their name? let's say the Staples Center changes to the Best Buy Center. Does the history change then?

I think that if these arenas were to keep their names for awhile, then they might be remembered as historic arenas, but I think a name change really diminishes the history of that arena.

abe_froman
03-13-2009, 05:35 PM
agreed. But for example, look at Wrigley Field. While not a corporate sponsorship, it was named after the Ownder of Wrigley's (the gum). It's just a name in the end. What makes such places special is the history that happened there, not the name it goes by.

never said anything on the specialty of it(good or bad)

superkegger
03-13-2009, 05:42 PM
what if those arenas change their name? let's say the Staples Center changes to the Best Buy Center. Does the history change then?

I think that if these arenas were to keep their names for awhile, then they might be remembered as historic arenas, but I think a name change really diminishes the history of that arena.

I understand what you're saying, and I guess I agree to a point. Though, and I could be wrong on this, I think Staples and the United Center were one time sponsorship deals. The name won't change. I could be wrong, not sure. But even is staples changed to Best Buy Center, it wouldnt change much for me, it's still the site of 3 nba titles, kobe's 81 point game, kobe and shaqs mvp's, among countless other great feats. (both basketball and non basketball related) a name is just a name. (though I cede that i would like to see the names not change)

never said anything on the specialty of it(good or bad)

i know, I was just making my own point. :D

Rockets4Life
03-13-2009, 06:02 PM
To me if you changed the name, it takes part of the history with it. It just wouldnt feel the same. I mean if wrigley field changed it's name to something else, saying something other than wrigley field just wouldnt feel or sound right. Thats just me. I know its just a name, but the name also represents it.