PDA

View Full Version : Wich Player will be the first to win the FOUR major trophiez?

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Nba ring, Olympic Gold, Euroleague, World Championship.

Candidates:

Kobe Bryant: Has Ring and Olympic Gold.

Pau Gasol: Has World Championship and euroleague.

Manu Ginobili: Has Olympic Gold, Ring , Euroleague.

king4day
03-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I guess Manu since he's the closest. Pau is likely never going to win a gold. He might have 1 MAYBE 2 more chances at it.
If Kobe signs an extension with LA, then you can wipe him out.

superkegger
03-13-2009, 01:14 PM
No one ever will. Kobe will never win a euroleauge trophy. Nor does he care about it. Nor should it be considered as a major trophy.

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 01:16 PM
^Euroleague its PRETTY difficult to get man.

KObe has already stated he would like to end his career in Milan where he grew up, he can for sure play there when he is 36 or 37.

And he is also likely to Join Pau in Barcelona when they both are old.

Bucsfan
03-13-2009, 01:17 PM
what are trophiez?

oshea225
03-13-2009, 01:18 PM
^Euroleague its PRETTY difficult to get man.

KObe has already stated he would like to end his career in Milan where he grew up, he can for sure play there when he is 36 or 37.

And he is also likely to Join Pau in Barcelona when they both are old.

when did he say that?
and him joining pau is pure speculation

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 01:20 PM
^ 1 They have become very good friends.

2 He loves Barcelona and has been there several times.

3 He has already posed in pics with a Barcelona Jersey.

superkegger
03-13-2009, 01:27 PM
I'd like to see where he's said he wanted to play in Europe at the age of 36 or 37. I'm guessing if he did say that, it was under this speculation a year or so ago that he'd be making 30-50 million a year to do so, which has now become pretty much an impossibility.

It may be a hard trophy to get, but Kobe doesn't care about it. No American born NBA player does.

DerekRE_3
03-13-2009, 01:43 PM
You didn't even mention the NCAA Championship...

superkegger
03-13-2009, 01:45 PM
of course not.

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Well Ncaa championship has never been greater then euroleague title, you know? 9 out of the players of the Ncaa winner arent good enough even to play in europe and end up in cba or working at mcdonalds.

Oh and i assure you Janero Pargo and Josh Childress are pretty high and interested into winning Euroleague this year with Olympiakos.

DerekRE_3
03-13-2009, 01:55 PM
Well Ncaa championship has never been greater then euroleague title, you know? 9 out of the players of the Ncaa winner arent good enough even to play in europe and end up in cba or working at mcdonalds.

Oh and i assure you Janero Pargo and Josh Childress are pretty high and interested into winning Euroleague this year with Olympiakos.

In the United States, the NCAA Tournament is a pretty big deal. I remember teachers in my high school ditching work to go to the NCAA Tournament in Sacramento or the Bay Area...and I was right there with them. It's pretty tough for a team to win the NCAA Tournament, since it's one and done, unlike the NBA. And way to make a huge generalization about student athletes all playing in the CBA or working at McDonalds.

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Euroleague has its own one and done final four.

The thing is the level of competition in Ncaa is very low compared to other leagues.

1 Nba

2 euroleague

3 Spanish League

4 Greek League

5 russian league

6 Italian League

7 Uleb Cup

8 turkish league.

9th Ncaa....and im not sure if Aussie league is better right now.

superkegger
03-13-2009, 02:00 PM
In the United States, the NCAA Tournament is a pretty big deal. I remember teachers in my high school ditching work to go to the NCAA Tournament in Sacramento or the Bay Area...and I was right there with them. It's pretty tough for a team to win the NCAA Tournament, since it's one and done, unlike the NBA. And way to make a huge generalization about student athletes all playing in the CBA or working at McDonalds.

He's just trying to make up for the supposed media and fan hatred of anything european, that he feels the need to overcompensate for that in his analysis of anything american.

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Dont mistake my words i LOVE the Ncaa i LOVE the march madness do or die elimination games, i love the sheer purity of players playing basket because they love it and not for (instant) money.

eugene
03-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Pau is the closest i guess. Argentina will never get World Cup...

DerekRE_3
03-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Euroleague has its own one and done final four.

The thing is the level of competition in Ncaa is very low compared to other leagues.

1 Nba

2 euroleague

3 Spanish League

4 Greek League

5 russian league

6 Italian League

7 Uleb Cup

8 turkish league.

9th Ncaa....and im not sure if Aussie league is better right now.

I'm not saying that the NCAA has more talent, but the NCAA is a pretty big deal in our country, and the NBA is based in America, so I'd say to most players in the NBA (since most are American), winning the NCAA tournament would be a pretty big deal to them.

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 02:04 PM
And about generalisations ITS A FACT.

the top 30-40 ncaa players each make it into the nba, 5 of them become allstars, 10 become good starters, another 10 make role players some of them stay for two three years and they bolt to europe.

then next best 20 players or so go to europe and either stay there for long or eventually find the way into nba (pj brown, john starks, raja bell....)

the next 20 or so make it to Nbdl, Cba or the new Aba.

thats 80 players who make it to the professional leagues.

how many players are on the ncaa each year?

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 02:06 PM
He's just trying to make up for the supposed media and fan hatred of anything european, that he feels the need to overcompensate for that in his analysis of anything american.

supossed? you are a fan, an american fan, when was the last time you praised something "euro" in this forum?

DerekRE_3
03-13-2009, 02:06 PM

the top 30-40 ncaa players each make it into the nba, 5 of them become allstars, 10 become good starters, another 10 make role players some of them stay for two three years and they bolt to europe.

then next best 20 players or so go to europe and either stay there for long or eventually find the way into nba (pj brown, john starks, raja bell....)

I understand that most of them don't make it in the pro's. But what you need to understand is that a lot of guys playing in the college know they aren't going to make it, and are using basketball to get a scholarship so they can get an education. To say that all of them are just going to work at Mcdonalds (which I'm sure some do) is taking away a lot from the guys that start businesses, lead successful lives, etc.

superkegger
03-13-2009, 02:08 PM

around 4500 I think, but whats your point? The NCAA Div I basketball is huge.

TChef02
03-13-2009, 02:10 PM

Most division 1 players on championship teams are absolutely good enough to play in Europe but most chose not to for various reasons. I've known players from division 3 schools that have been offered contracts in places like Korea and Greece so I don't think it would be that tough for a player form a championship D-1 basketball team to find a home in the euroleague. Winning an NCAA tournament of 64 teams is much more difficult than winning a euroleague title; there are only like 16 teams in that league and most of those guys are players that hope to be drafted to the NBA one day anyway.

I just think it's strange to include a euroleague championship as part of the "major trophies" when the euroleague isn't a natural progression for an NBA player. It's like saying who will be the first baseball player to win a World Series, a World Baseball Classic championship and a championship in the Japanese baseball league.

superkegger
03-13-2009, 02:11 PM
supossed? you are a fan, an american fan, when was the last time you praised something "euro" in this forum?

I praise those worthy of praise. I don't care where they're from. If someone is good, I'll acknowledge that. If someone is bad, I'll acknowledge that. You have a bias of european players and leauges and you take it to an extreme where you over value what's euro to the point of where you devalue what isn't. It's biased and unobjective.

DerekRE_3
03-13-2009, 02:14 PM
I praise those worthy of praise. I don't care where they're from. If someone is good, I'll acknowledge that. If someone is bad, I'll acknowledge that. You have a bias of european players and leauges and you take it to an extreme where you over value what's euro to the point of where you devalue what isn't. It's biased and unobjective.

Exactly, if you are good, you are good. One of my favorite players is a French player...Boris Diaw. Do I care that he's French...nope. I just like how he plays.

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Anyone values its own things more, i am sure a Filipine player would value more getting philiphines league than Ncaa, but that does not make Philipine league better than Ncaa.

Its the same for Ncaa and Euroleague, it may be sentimentaly better for an american palyer to win it but it does not make Ncaa better than euroleague,

Come on, lets be serious, in the past 4 years there have been several NBA teams, Clipper, Raptors, Grizzlies , Sixers(with Ai and Webber) that were defeated by Euroleague teams, Benetton, Macabbi, Barcelona, Madrid , unicaja.

Ncaa champions wouldnt stand a single chance against a second round euroleague team.

theres a reason Usa stopped using Ncaa players on fiba competition and olympics after 88, you know?

Think it other way...

Do you think this past summer, rose, Mayo, Beasley, Lopez and thompson would have won the medal game against spain, or even previous games against Argentina ? i really doubt so...

DerekRE_3
03-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Anyone values its own things more, i am sure a Filipine player would value more getting philiphines league than Ncaa, but that does not make Philipine league better than Ncaa.

Its the same for Ncaa and Euroleague, it may be sentimentaly better for an american palyer to win it but it does not make Ncaa better than euroleague,

Come on, lets be serious, in the past 4 years there have been several NBA teams, Clipper, Raptors, Grizzlies , Sixers(with Ai and Webber) that were defeated by Euroleague teams, Benetton, Macabbi, Barcelona, Madrid , unicaja.

Ncaa champions wouldnt stand a single chance against a second round euroleague team.

theres a reason Usa stopped using Ncaa players on fiba competition and olympics after 88, you know?

Think it other way...

Do you think this past summer, rose, Mayo, Beasley, Lopez and thompson would have won the medal game against spain, or even previous games against Argentina ? i really doubt so...

Keep in mind in international play, they don't play by NBA rules. The refs sometimes don't even speak english...and aren't that good. Also keep in mind that the international teams have played together for a long time. Yet a team with Rose, Mayo, Beasley, Thompson, and Lopez would be playing with each other for the first time.

superkegger
03-13-2009, 02:22 PM

Think it other way...

I don't think anyone is arguing that the talent level of the NCAA is better than the euroleauge.

What's being said is that the difficulty to win an NCAA championship is just as, if not more difficult than a Euroleauge title. And for American born players, it means more and is more prestigious to win that than any euroleauge title.

No one is saying NCAA is better than the Euroleauge. The talent in the euroleauges is higher, undoubtedly, they're professionals.

Derick713
03-13-2009, 02:29 PM
It really depends on what you believe is a major trophy, accomplishment, or award. There aren't many players that have won even major award let alone ever major championship.

The only current player I can think of that has achieved a near prefect resume is Shaquille O'Neal. If you count the Euro League then I don't think anyone has ever won every major championship.

Shaquille O'Neal's Resume
6 NBA Finals Appearances
4 NBA Championships
3 NBA Finals MVPS
1 NBA MVP
3 NBA All Star MVPS
2 NBA Scoring Titles
2 Olympic Gold Medals
1 1994 FIBA World Championship MVP
In 1996, O'Neal was named one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History
Rookie of the Year
Number One Overall Pick
Wins the Adolph Rupp Trophy and the John Wooden Award as college basketball player of the year
Two-time All-American
Two-time SEC player of the year
The cover of the Wheaties
Senior year, the Cougars go 36-0 and win the state championship with Shaq

Derick713
03-13-2009, 02:31 PM
Jordan probably has the prefect resume with both an NCAA Title and an NBA Title to go along with every major NBA Award.

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 03:08 PM
It really depends on what you believe is a major trophy, accomplishment, or award. There aren't many players that have won even major award let alone ever major championship.

The only current player I can think of that has achieved a near prefect resume is Shaquille O'Neal. If you count the Euro League then I don't think anyone has ever won every major championship.

Shaquille O'Neal's Resume
6 NBA Finals Appearances
4 NBA Championships
3 NBA Finals MVPS
1 NBA MVP
3 NBA All Star MVPS
2 NBA Scoring Titles
2 Olympic Gold Medals
1 1994 FIBA World Championship MVP
In 1996, O'Neal was named one of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History
Rookie of the Year
Number One Overall Pick
Wins the Adolph Rupp Trophy and the John Wooden Award as college basketball player of the year
Two-time All-American
Two-time SEC player of the year
The cover of the Wheaties
Senior year, the Cougars go 36-0 and win the state championship with Shaq Pity he isnt humble enough to go for a euroleague in a pair of years.

jimbobjarree
03-13-2009, 04:20 PM
the reject NCAA players and draftees dont go to work in McDonalds, they go play in Europe...which speaks volumes about the league.

superkegger
03-13-2009, 04:36 PM
the reject NCAA players and draftees dont go to work in McDonalds, they go play in Europe...which speaks volumes about the league.

and now we're seeing a trickle of foreign born players being recurited and playing in college.

NYYCowboys
03-13-2009, 04:50 PM
why is trophies spelled with a z??......and who cares about the european championship.......

tbron
03-13-2009, 05:33 PM
there's only TWO major titles.

jimbobjarree
03-13-2009, 11:40 PM
ex-****ing-xactly