PDA

View Full Version : NBA Looking To Legalize The Infamous "Crab Dribble"

GoatMilk
03-13-2009, 02:58 AM
http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/03/lebron_james_pleased_to_hear_n.html

PHOENIX -- There might be some salvation for the "crab dribble" after all.

In response to increased scrutiny in recent years, the NBA is examining rewriting its traveling rules as soon as next season. It may include allowing for two steps, not one as currently written, and possibly even a provision for LeBron James' famous, or infamous, depending on your perspective, crab-dribble move.

"We're working on it," Joe Borgia, NBA's vice president of referee operations, told the ESPN.com blog Truehoop recently.

"Our traveling rule we've been discussing for a couple of years," he said. "The game has evolved. I don't think the rule has evolved since the time of Bob Cousy. But we're also going to probably share it with the NCAA and maybe FIBA, because it would be nice if we could all come up with a similar rule. A similar rule would be great for the players, the coaches, and the officials."

The news that the league is considering clarifying the rule, which gets violated and called differently all season long, was received with satisfaction from James. Though players have been allowed two steps in practice for many years, James has been caught in controversial traveling situations numerous times in his career.

The most focus has been on James' jump-stop move, which he's been perfecting since high school. Sometimes he travels and gets away with it, sometimes he executes it properly and still gets called for traveling.

"That would be good, I could get my move back," James said of the potential rule changes. "They stole my move. I've gotten used to knowing that you have to land on two feet."

Traveling is a hot-button topic for NBA fans, especially when watching players like James and Miami's Dwyane Wade. Because of his speed and the length of his stride, James can often cover large distances and change possession without dribbling.

"Sometimes it is called right and sometimes it isn't, but they'll figure it out," James said.
I was gonna post just an excerpt, but the entire article is quite interesting. Oh and I know we've been seeing some satire articles lately, this is NOT satire. Legit link is posted above

Driven
03-13-2009, 03:02 AM
Dumb.

cambovenzi
03-13-2009, 03:22 AM
like getting away with travelling isnt quite prevalent enough, right?

$KnicksAndKobe$
03-13-2009, 03:31 AM
I know what a travel is ...

MagicBucsSox
03-13-2009, 03:40 AM
just another bs rule change to favor the posterboy, bad enough you cant touch him, so there gonna legalize traveling before ridding of FLOPPING? HAHAHAHAHA THAT nazi stern strikes again

soundjunkies2
03-13-2009, 03:42 AM
Isnt the crab dribble like 3 or 4 steps not 2.

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 04:41 AM
Nba should either ELIMINATE travelling or FOLLOW the Rulse Strictly,, anything in the middle is "Crab"

LakerzDQ
03-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Isnt the crab dribble like 3 or 4 steps not 2.

yes.

what the hell is the NBA trying to do here? legalizing travelling would be ridiculous. Basketball cannot adjust for the players. the players have to adjust to basketball.

BTownTeamsRKing
03-13-2009, 07:33 AM
well if anyone needs more proof that the NBA favors lebron over anyone...Here it is.

legalize a damn travel. thats just stupid.

ugottabjoshinme
03-13-2009, 08:47 AM
great...lebron doesnt even need to dribble anymore :rolleyes:

GregOden#1
03-13-2009, 08:48 AM
well if anyone needs more proof that the NBA favors lebron over anyone...Here it is.

legalize a damn travel. thats just stupid.

More like how they favor their star players. CP3, Wade, Kobe and Lebron all travel pretty much constantly.

More shats!
03-13-2009, 09:00 AM
"The NBA where we change the rules so Lebron can do his Crab Dribble happens"

What a joke.

BTownTeamsRKing
03-13-2009, 09:03 AM
More like how they favor their star players. CP3, Wade, Kobe and Lebron all travel pretty much constantly.

veryy true!

but this rule change is incomprehensible to me. Wilt Chamberlain changed the game because he was too good. with this change, they are changing the game to make it easier on lebron.

thats some real BS right here.

Testaverde16
03-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Just another rule to appease the superstar.... reminds me of when they made handchecking illegal like the year after Jordan retired (the second time)... David Stern is such a little *****...

Frrrrank!!!
03-13-2009, 09:18 AM
Just get rid of dribbling all together. Just let players run while holding the ball. My ****ing jesus.:mad:

Wilson
03-13-2009, 09:26 AM
In response to increased scrutiny in recent years, the NBA is examining rewriting its traveling rules as soon as next season. It may include allowing for two steps, not one as currently written, and possibly even a provision for LeBron James' famous, or infamous, depending on your perspective, crab-dribble move.

:confused: I thought you were allowed two steps already. Dribble, two steps, lay-up. I thought that's what happened :shrug:

BTownTeamsRKing
03-13-2009, 09:35 AM
im starten to think this is just a dumb joke. they cant be serious.

so is EAsports and 2K going to put this move in lebron's signature moves?

BRADY4MVP
03-13-2009, 09:44 AM
youthhoop coaches are gonna have a hell of a time trying to explain to little kids that, although in the NBA as long as you are over 1/2 court you dont have to dribble, in bitty-basketball you do....

stern is a joke, and he proves it over and over again.....

i must admit, i laugh my @$$ off when any team wins the championship, and he goes to present them with the trophy and the whole crowd just boos

Wilson
03-13-2009, 09:56 AM
youthhoop coaches are gonna have a hell of a time trying to explain to little kids that, although in the NBA as long as you are over 1/2 court you dont have to dribble, in bitty-basketball you do....

stern is a joke, and he proves it over and over again.....

i must admit, i laugh my @$$ off when any team wins the championship, and he goes to present them with the trophy and the whole crowd just boos

:laugh2: Yeah, that's something special. I remember him being shown on the jumbotron in Indy the year after the brawl, and you got the feeling he would have to be airlifted out of Indy...

favre_4life
03-13-2009, 10:45 AM
Great now the "King" doesn't even have to dribble anymore? What garbage. Who was saying that Lebron isn't favored again?

Fool
03-13-2009, 10:48 AM
LeBron will get away with it wether it is legal or not, so it doesn't really matter does it? If this was any other player that did this crab dribble :censored:, this wouldn't be coming up. But because it's King James, let's make it legal.

GodsSon
03-13-2009, 10:55 AM
:confused: I thought you were allowed two steps already. Dribble, two steps, lay-up. I thought that's what happened :shrug:

I was thinking the same thing:confused:

JJ81
03-13-2009, 11:09 AM
If it aint broke dont fix it.

jayl1377
03-13-2009, 11:11 AM
how else can the nba help out lebron james??

BTownTeamsRKing
03-13-2009, 12:19 PM
only the NBA itself can ruin itself during a time when the Celtics and Lakers are prominent contenders.

crab dribble. just say it to yourself and think its legit. it just sounds so stupid

lakerboy
03-13-2009, 12:36 PM
This will just ruin the game. They should just make a rule that no travelling calls should be called on Lebron

DrDEADalready
03-13-2009, 12:43 PM
So in the article they say it's written your only allowed one step? and want to change it too two? if that's the case everyone travels.

IRUAM #21
03-13-2009, 12:45 PM
Wow!!! jump off Lebron's Dick Stern.

superkegger
03-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Huh, I guess I'm the only one who thought clarifying the rule and updating it a bit was a good thing. With the game evolving, with the euro-2step and all of these other moves, I thought it would be a good idea for the NBA to make an adjustment to the rule and then enforce it more strictly. I think you all are probably over reacting a little bit. This isn't strictly a reaction to LeBron's crab dribble. This was reported by a cleveland paper, so it talks about LeBron for that reason. At any rate, I'd think this would make the traveling call an easier one to make and one we'd see called correctly more now.

LA_Raiders
03-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Thats BS, Stupid, thats why we lose in International Games, because NBA rules are stupid....and LeBroom gets like 5 TO/game in Int games...

QUICKTRADE
03-13-2009, 01:50 PM
this thing warrants that they (NBA) are really trying to promote Lebroom`s antics even though its a clear violation and take note compare to other games they palyed. Lebroom and Wade receives more calls in favor of them than anybody on the floor. NBA rules sucks....

xxepo
03-13-2009, 02:08 PM
wow thats all I have to say ....worst news of the day :S

laker1000
03-13-2009, 02:24 PM
The NBA is now going to play by Lebron's rules...

IndyRealist
03-13-2009, 02:52 PM
So in the article they say it's written your only allowed one step? and want to change it too two? if that's the case everyone travels.

You're allowed two steps, but what constitutes a "step" is being changed. For instance, if a player dribbles down the court, pulls up for a jumper and then lands before releasing the ball, that's traveling. I saw Rafer "Skip to My Lou" Alston get called for traveling because he skipped down the court. If Skip to My Lou can't skip, neither should Lebron.

EX-TREME
03-13-2009, 03:34 PM
imagine lebroom and stern in a closet.

"WhatIf"
03-13-2009, 03:55 PM
I doubt anything will even be done, the traveling rules are fine where they are. You're allowed two steps, that's where the rule should stay. LeBron and other stars are going to get away with traveling anyways.

Joe Borgia said they were looking to tweak the rules on traveling overall, at all levels, did he himself actually mention the crab dribble at all or was it just assumed by who wrote the article?

Either way, keep the rule how it is, it's fine.

xxepo
03-13-2009, 04:19 PM
Ive played basketball my whole life and this rule would change my game and improve me by allot due to the fact I love attacking the rim I just think it requres less skill to be able to take that many steps ..

FarOutIos
03-13-2009, 06:15 PM
And in another move, the NBA is looking to pass a rule that will force everyone to move out of the way, and clear a lane to the rim, WHENEVER lebron want to dunk. These points will ONLY count if the dunk makes it onto ESPN's top 10 plays... they're trying to make it fair.

soundjunkies2
03-13-2009, 06:48 PM
I doubt anything will even be done, the traveling rules are fine where they are. You're allowed two steps, that's where the rule should stay. LeBron and other stars are going to get away with traveling anyways.

Joe Borgia said they were looking to tweak the rules on traveling overall, at all levels, did he himself actually mention the crab dribble at all or was it just assumed by who wrote the article?

Either way, keep the rule how it is, it's fine.

Your only allowed to take 1 step not 2.I always thought it was 2 as well but i was wrong.

Er1c
03-13-2009, 06:58 PM
get off lebron's dick already

"WhatIf"
03-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Your only allowed to take 1 step not 2.I always thought it was 2 as well but i was wrong.

From NBA.com: A player who receives the ball while in progress or upon completing his dribble is allowed a one-two count after gathering the ball and preparing to stop, pass or shoot.

get off lebron's dick already

Is that in reference to me? In that case, what part of my post led you to believe that I am "on LeBron's dick"? I clearly acknowledged that LeBron gets away with traveling, and then asked a question about the article on whether Mr. Borgia mentioned the crab dribble specifically or not.

IndyRealist
03-13-2009, 08:02 PM
I think after you pick up your dribble and then you bring your foot down in stride, that first one doesn't count as a step, the next one you take in your stride counts as a step. But it's two steps if you're just watching it.

It's too easy to change the direction of your momentum if you don't have to dribble while doing it, and would make driving guards even harder to defend. It trivializes learned skills like the crossover in favor of raw athleticism. But I guess that's the trend in the NBA these days, minimize the amount of basketball these players actually have to learn so the NBA can hurry up and make money off of them.

Kyle N.
03-13-2009, 08:09 PM
This has got to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard in the world of sports. WHAT LEBRON DID WAS THE BIGGEST EXAMPLE OF A TRAVEL EVER! He was just mad he lost so he made up a name for it. He did do a hesitation dribble. I agree with him, but it came before he took his four steps. This is seriously outrageous.

NYMetros
03-13-2009, 08:16 PM
This article holds no water. Did a middle schooler right it? You are allowed to take two steps right now, but he says they're going to "change it" so you can take 2 steps?

Wilson
03-13-2009, 08:22 PM
This article holds no water. Did a middle schooler right it? You are allowed to take two steps right now, but he says they're going to "change it" so you can take 2 steps?

:eyebrow:

superkegger
03-13-2009, 08:54 PM
:eyebrow:

:laugh2: Saw the same thing and was about to post the same thing as you did.

madiaz3
03-13-2009, 08:58 PM

Just wade and lebron really...
the rest of them actually have pretty prized footwork

cmellofan15
03-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Wow, what's the difference between crab dribbling and traveling??? And who came up with the crab dribble??? Why the hell is it called a crab dribble anyways??? :confused:

Kakaroach
03-13-2009, 09:20 PM
And in another move, the NBA is looking to pass a rule that will force everyone to move out of the way, and clear a lane to the rim, WHENEVER lebron want to dunk. These points will ONLY count if the dunk makes it onto ESPN's top 10 plays... they're trying to make it fair. :laugh: Couldn't have said it better myself.

Mane
03-13-2009, 10:31 PM
Oh so they're legalizing it because Lebron did it and got called, and lost a game, because he traveled.

Um... isn't that called star treatment?

metsbulls1025
03-13-2009, 10:34 PM
Yup let the larger then life LJ change the face of basketball, by changing the rules.

Nirvanaskurdt
03-13-2009, 11:21 PM
wow... the NBA yet again never seizes to surprise me.. favoring LBJ and changing the rules??

From the the words of GOB BLUTH... "COME ON!" :smoking:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EcC3mj3oYw

EddieB
03-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Lebron always makes a baby step then hops on his two feet for a fadeaway

Hanzinho
03-13-2009, 11:40 PM
This is stupid...

Crab dribble is a travel.... 3 or 4 steps come on!!!!! :mad:

Don't Kill the Basket please...

:no:

snickers
03-14-2009, 06:36 AM
This just in...if you throw chalk into the air, you get an extra free throw.

LakerzDQ
03-14-2009, 07:07 AM
Just wade and lebron really...
the rest of them actually have pretty prized footwork

yup. CP3 and Kobe never take any extra steps.

I think Kobe's pivot and foot work is his advantage against all the other superstars.

let Lebron and Wade take 3 steps, and they'd just dominate the game. especially with the size of their strides.

marlinsfan24
03-14-2009, 08:28 AM
yup. CP3 and Kobe never take any extra steps.

I think Kobe's pivot and foot work is his advantage against all the other superstars.

let Lebron and Wade take 3 steps, and they'd just dominate the game. especially with the size of their strides.

really? never. that's a bit over the top.

but this is stupid, might as well just give lebron the trophy now and just sit out next season...would save a bunch of time

bostncelts34
03-14-2009, 09:19 AM
This is so horrible lol

Really hurts the players who have excellent footwork, and dont travel like this. (i.e. pierce)

BTownTeamsRKing
03-14-2009, 09:37 AM
the impact of this move is alot worse than just lebron benefits. literally some players do not have to dribble inside the 3pt line. they can catch and just charge with long strides.

btw this is one other sites too and NOT ONE FAN LIKES IT. NOT ONE!

so i guess stern knows best, wat a ******. only this ****** would attempt to change the basketball.

bostncelts34
03-14-2009, 09:47 AM
the impact of this move is alot worse than just lebron benefits. literally some players do not have to dribble inside the 3pt line. they can catch and just charge with long strides.

btw this is one other sites too and NOT ONE FAN LIKES IT. NOT ONE!

so i guess stern knows best, wat a ******. only this ****** would attempt to change the basketball.

how dare you betray psd and go on other sites! haha

Yogi
03-14-2009, 11:07 AM
This isn't fair.

NatSkinCapWiz
03-14-2009, 11:15 AM
the nba is a joke... i hope college bball doesn't follow their lead...

nickcamp15
03-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Lebron is going to have to change his game for the NBA, the NBA shouldn't have to change the game for Lebron. Don't get me wrong the man is going to be one of the greatest of all time if not the greatest. But the dude walks more then anyone I've ever seen and that has to change.

Zefflin
03-14-2009, 03:01 PM
^^