PDA

View Full Version : no more pacers?

abe_froman
03-13-2009, 02:36 AM
Among the key issues for the struggling franchise is its operation of Conseco Fieldhouse. The building where the team plays its home games belongs to the Indianapolis Capital Improvement Board, and the Pacers have been paying its $15 million operating cost. Pat Early, the board's vice president, said the Pacers have made it clear that they no longer can pay that amount, in part because they could lose $30 million this season.

Early said the Pacers haven't threatened to leave, but the team would be forced to make some "very difficult decisions" if it remains saddled with the operating cost of the facility or if attendance continues to lag near the bottom of the league.

"It's possible they could move the team," Early said. "It's possible they could sell the team. It is also possible they could shut the team down. What's not possible is the Pacers losing the kind of money they're losing this year indefinitely."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3975398

hard to imagine state known for basketball without a team,is it possible?
and where would they go if they are forced to leave,seattle?

BrizzleBear
03-13-2009, 02:48 AM
That would be sad to see, alot of good memorys of Reggie Miller.

mjt20mik
03-13-2009, 03:33 AM
If moving the team is probable, then they should a) move the pacers to LV b) move the pacers to a city in Canada.

Ottawa or Montreal would be a great city for hoops (more along the lines of Ottawa). Plus it's a good market here, with a steady fan base. An example, while tickets are being lowered in many teams across the states, MLSE decided to raise tickets up by like around 8 % , and they are still averaging around 19 000 per game. And mind you that's for a team that's 2nd last in the east.

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 04:09 AM
this is BS, im not the biggest Pacers, or Indianapolis fan on earth, but they are a classic team that has been tehre since ive been a fan in the mid 80s, they have had a consistent way of doing things and winning games and seasons more often than not and deserve resepect.

They should never part from Indianapolis.

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 04:10 AM
If they have to move no matter what, then please move them to Memphis, keep the name and players and move Grizzlies to SEattle and reisntate the SOnics.

kingkobe
03-13-2009, 11:36 AM
If they have to move no matter what, then please move them to Memphis, keep the name and players and move Grizzlies to SEattle and reisntate the SOnics.

Thats funny. Why not just move the pacers to Seattle?

MelkyNYY
03-13-2009, 11:51 AM
The Pacers aren't moving anywhere. And by God please don't give Canada another team.

theimortalone
03-13-2009, 12:01 PM

Seattle Pacers? :confused: Not so much. They would have to move a west team out east, if they were to move to Seattle.

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Why not keep the Hornets in charlotte and give a new team to New Orleans?

**** Happens.

LanceUpperCut
03-13-2009, 12:17 PM
The Pacers aren't moving anywhere. And by God please don't give Canada another team.

Don't give Canada another team ?Any reason or just being another stupid American,No offence to 90% of the US but idiots who think your the only country in the world piss me off and make you all look stupid.

JordansBulls
03-13-2009, 12:21 PM
I find it difficult for teams that have been in the finals the last 15-20 years to all of a sudden have to move to a new city.

D-Leethal
03-13-2009, 12:21 PM
this is BS, im not the biggest Pacers, or Indianapolis fan on earth, but they are a classic team that has been tehre since ive been a fan in the mid 80s, they have had a consistent way of doing things and winning games and seasons more often than not and deserve resepect.
They should never part from Indianapolis.

that was until Donnie Walsh came to NY :clap:

shatty
03-13-2009, 12:47 PM

ur a idiot! Canada is a great market for b-ball.top 10 in attendance for a team that always sucks balls.Ya lets give another hick market a team that averages 6000 ppl a game in attendance.Ignorant american im guessing

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 01:00 PM
I think Canada is fine for a Basket team, come on there are lots of Canadian teams in Baseball and Hockey, why not basket?

And i would really welcome a Mexico DF nba team, that would be EXTREMELY PROFITABLE for the league in terms of Merchandasing, ticket sales and etc , just make sure the Nuggets make Najera reachable on expansion Draft.

Mexico Df Aztecs!!!!

vigilantex69
03-13-2009, 01:08 PM
I find it difficult for teams that have been in the finals the last 15-20 years to all of a sudden have to move to a new city.

Exactly, and the Pacers are only a few years removed from being the top team in the East. The problem is its a small market, and when they don't win, nobody comes to games. I mean it sucks they are losing money but its also because they are trying to hold out to get public funding, thats why this whole story is coming out. They are trying to scare the city and fans into giving in and using their tax dollars to cover the stadium fees. Seriously.

superkegger
03-13-2009, 01:12 PM
It would be sad to see the Pacers move or shut down. But, I wouldn't be shocked. If they do move, they should leave the name and legacy of the Pacers behind like the Thunder did with the Sonics.

Though I don't really understand how moving would solve their problems.

QUICKTRADE
03-13-2009, 01:51 PM
bring them to seattle and were happy to accommodate them.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-13-2009, 01:53 PM
That would be pretty sad.

IndyRealist
03-13-2009, 02:17 PM

Yeah but it would probably be hard for me to imagine the Brawl, too, if I hadn't seen it live.

Hellcrooner
03-13-2009, 02:22 PM
mmmm I GOT IT!!!!!

If they cant avoid it, leave the name and History in Indianapolis, send the team players to seattle and reestart the sonics.

Then as soon as is possible move the Grizz to Indiana ( no pun intended everybody knows owner wants to sell, and has not been able because the contract with the city) and recover the pacers name.

NoSense
03-13-2009, 02:28 PM
To be quite honest, I don't really see how they could get out of this mess. I've read on Fannation.com a couple of days ago, that they've lost money ever since Y2K, even that year when they made it all the way to the Finals. The Pacers are a good franchise, and they should def stay put in Indy.

superkegger
03-13-2009, 02:35 PM
The more I think on this, the more I'm unsure of how i feel about it. On one hand, the pacers are a classic and I'd hate to see anything happen to them.

On the other, I do think that some NBA owners need a little tough love. There's too many organizations that are just run pitifully and lackadasically (not saying the pacers are). Perhaps it's time the NBA trim some of the fat out, letting bad owners who make bad business deals fizzle out wouldn't be the worst thing in the NBA. Maybe they need to be a little more scrupulous in who they let become NBA franchise owners.

VCaintdead17
03-13-2009, 03:06 PM
This is ****ing ********. I will be soo pissed if I lose my Pacers. Us hoosiers have such a rich basketball history and it would be terrible for us to leave. California can have 4 teams, but we might not even have one?? :pity:

EX-TREME
03-13-2009, 03:23 PM
This is ****ing ********. I will be soo pissed if I lose my Pacers. Us hoosiers have such a rich basketball history and it would be terrible for us to leave. California can have 4 teams, but we might not even have one?? :pity:

that's sad. you fans doesn't deserve this.

jimbobjarree
03-13-2009, 03:36 PM
ooo...could see the sonics back in action..Seattle still has the rights to the Sonics right?

pacers to seattle and back as the sonics in the NW, OKC to the Southwest div, Grizzlies to the East

superkegger
03-13-2009, 03:48 PM

well, maybe the fans should actually go to the games. that would go a long way to stabilizing the franchise.

30th in 08
28th in 07
24th in 06
17th in 05
16th in 04
15th in 03

That may be in part due to the capacity of Conseico, but still, kinda poor attendance at games.

shonk688
03-13-2009, 03:51 PM
I heard on the local news a couple of days ago that the Mayor of Indy said that they will work something out. I also heard that the mayor of Seattle came to Indy to tell them how much it has hurt their city loosing the sonics. So I really dont think the Pacers are going anywhere. At least I hope not I would be extremely pissed. I know last year when I saw Seattle loose their team I felt really bad for them.

VCaintdead17
03-13-2009, 03:56 PM
well, maybe the fans should actually go to the games. that would go a long way to stabilizing the franchise.

30th in 08
28th in 07
24th in 06
17th in 05
16th in 04
15th in 03

That may be in part due to the capacity of Conseico, but still, kinda poor attendance at games.

Unfortunately, that is one of the problems. I try and support them as much as possible. I usually go to about 7-10 games a season, but still, it's out of the Pacers control. No matter how much our local media markets the team, nobody shows interest. This sucks

superkegger
I heard on the local news a couple of days ago that the Mayor of Indy said that they will work something out. I also heard that the mayor of Seattle came to Indy to tell them how much it has hurt their city loosing the sonics. So I really dont think the Pacers are going anywhere. At least I hope not I would be extremely pissed. I know last year when I saw Seattle loose their team I felt really bad for them.

Heres the thing with that. Seattle didn't support their team. They hadn't been ranked higher than 20th in average attendance at any time between last year and 02-03. They (the city) gave the mariners and seahwaks new stadiums but wouldn't do anything about Key Arena. I'm tired of hearing people complain about seattle losing their team when they didn't value it in the first place.

Drtino
Don't give Canada another team ?Any reason or just being another stupid American,No offence to 90% of the US but idiots who think your the only country in the world piss me off and make you all look stupid.

I back you up on that... that was a damn comment.

The guy is not thinking right... probably didn't take his vitamins in the morning.

shonk688
03-13-2009, 03:57 PM

30th in 08
28th in 07
24th in 06
17th in 05
16th in 04
15th in 03

After the brawl and all the off the court incidents, people got sick of the ****. Now that they have made the changes the Economy went to hell and now no one has money to go to the games. I think once the economy turns around more people will start coming to the games.

superkegger
03-13-2009, 04:00 PM
Unfortunately, that is one of the problems. I try and support them as much as possible. I usually go to about 7-10 games a season, but still, it's out of the Pacers control. No matter how much our local media markets the team, nobody shows interest. This sucks

I hear ya, but its on the team to not only put a team people want to watch onthe court, but also to run their business in a responsible way. If they're losing 30 mil, i find it hard to believe they've made the best business decisions. In this current economic time, I think, and to a point hope that basketball will experience somewhat of a revival. I posted that satirical article form this weeks issue of the brushback (http://www.thebrushback.com/cutbacks_full.htm) and while its for humor, it rings true to a point. I hope that the NBA can get back to being about basketball, and that NBA games won't be a place for hotshots and bigshots to see and be seen, but a place for fans to, gasp, watch basketball.

shonk688
03-13-2009, 04:04 PM
Heres the thing with that. Seattle didn't support their team. They hadn't been ranked higher than 20th in average attendance at any time between last year and 02-03. They (the city) gave the mariners and seahwaks new stadiums but wouldn't do anything about Key Arena. I'm tired of hearing people complain about seattle losing their team when they didn't value it in the first place.

I didn't mean so much the whole city but there loyal fans that I felt bad for. The reason I dont think the pacers are going anywhere is because we have a really nice arena and the city and pacers owners are committed to keeping them here. Like I said I think once the economy turns around people will start to go to the games again.

VCaintdead17
03-13-2009, 04:04 PM
I hear ya, but its on the team to not only put a team people want to watch onthe court, but also to run their business in a responsible way. If they're losing 30 mil, i find it hard to believe they've made the best business decisions. In this current economic time, I think, and to a point hope that basketball will experience somewhat of a revival. I posted that satirical article form this weeks issue of the brushback (http://www.thebrushback.com/cutbacks_full.htm) and while its for humor, it rings true to a point. I hope that the NBA can get back to being about basketball, and that NBA games won't be a place for hotshots and bigshots to see and be seen, but a place for fans to, gasp, watch basketball.

Thats a very wise thing to say superkegger, and I agree

shonk688
03-13-2009, 04:08 PM

I heard the other day that the NFL shares all it revenue with all of there teams and the NBA doesn't. Believe it or not I heard that the colts would be loosing money too if it were not for this. It would be nice if the nba would go to this too.

superkegger
03-13-2009, 04:08 PM

:sigh: Too bad it's not gonna happen. It's just one of the things I hope for. :sigh:

shonk688
03-13-2009, 04:09 PM

Yeah I agree with that too.

superkegger
03-13-2009, 04:10 PM
I heard the other day that the NFL shares all it revenue with all of there teams and the NBA doesn't. Believe it or not I heard that the colts would be loosing money too if it were not for this. It would be nice if the nba would go to this too.

Yeah, both the NFL and MLB have revenue sharing, the NBA does not. Not really sure why not. It doesn't always work out ideally, but it might be something David Stern should look into for greater parity.

VCaintdead17
03-13-2009, 04:10 PM
:sigh: Too bad it's not gonna happen. It's just one of the things I hope for. :sigh:

As do I.

BTW, how did you become a Laker fan if you live in Wisconsin??

superkegger
03-13-2009, 04:16 PM
As do I.

BTW, how did you become a Laker fan if you live in Wisconsin??

long story short, my dad. He didn't have a whole lot of choices growing up, especially in kansas, and he was a lakers fan, ipso facto, I'm a lakers fan.

Drtino
03-13-2009, 04:17 PM
It would be hard to see the Pacers moving to a different state... there should be another solution and I think the NBA commisioner should step in, he can't allow teams going bankrupt or end up moving(the Pacers could easily become the second team within a year)... The economy is affecting many teams and somehow the league needs to recoup the money they borrowed thru that loan.