PDA

View Full Version : Will Shaquille O'Neal be Traded or Bought Out?

Derick713
03-12-2009, 05:02 PM
It seems as though Shaq would prefer to play on a team with actual championship aspirations rather than a team that could make the playoff if healthy next season.

There are only a few teams that Shaq would approve being traded to. In reality there is only one contender that could make a deal for Shaq and that would be the Cavs with the expiring contract of Wallace and another throw in to make salaries work.

If Shaquille O'Neal is desperate to win one more title before he retires would he try and negotiate a buyout even though he is not the type to give up money. The Suns probably donít want to trade Shaq since his contract is expiring. Would the Suns consider buying out Shaq to allow Amare more room to operate down low? There doesnít seem to be any reason to let Shaq leave. The question becomes whether Shaq could accept staying on a team that has no chance of winning a title.

If Shaq was bought out what team would he consider joining? Would he go back East where the road to a title is far easier

superkegger
03-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Trade deadline is over, and if he were bought out now, he would be inelgible to be on a playoff roster.

As far as the future, I doubt he gets traded. They won't get any kind of value in return, and shedding him and nash's contract after next year could pay dividends that summer.

Bucsfan
03-12-2009, 05:06 PM
I would like him on the Jazz next year, they need a big guy to stuff up the middle, Okur cant do it

uchiha
03-12-2009, 05:06 PM
Maybe on the last day of the seasons he will reach a buy-out deal with the Suns and then sign with the Celtics

oh wait, he can't do that...

abe_froman
03-12-2009, 05:14 PM
who would take him?

Derick713
03-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Trade deadline is over, and if he were bought out now, he would be inelgible to be on a playoff roster.

As far as the future, I doubt he gets traded. They won't get any kind of value in return, and shedding him and nash's contract after next year could pay dividends that summer.

I meant next year since that will be Shaq's last year and his contract is set to expire.

Derick713
03-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Maybe on the last day of the seasons he will reach a buy-out deal with the Suns and then sign with the Celtics

oh wait, he can't do that...

I meant next year since that will be Shaq's last year and his contract is set to expire.

b_rad23
03-12-2009, 05:25 PM
He'd have a ton of value to a small team looking to get in on 2010.

Derick713
03-12-2009, 05:40 PM
He'd have a ton of value to a small team looking to get in on 2010.

I think it would be impossible for the Suns to trade Shaq to a small team given that Shaq wouldn't approve the deal. The Suns really don't want to take on any salary past 2010 which makes it seem like there is no reason to trade O'Neal. Shaquille would only play motivated for a contender like the Cavs or Hornets.

The Suns might consider a buyout with Shaq to save some money. Shaq is a valuable commodity for a team looking to dump bad contracts and yet the Suns want salary cap relief rather than talent. The more you look at it the more likely it is that the Suns would buy out Shaq which in theory should save them the most amount of money out of all the scenarios discussed.

Hellcrooner
03-12-2009, 05:44 PM
they wont, next year he is a FAT FAT FAT expiring that can turn into a superstar of a team that wants to release cap.

theimortalone
03-12-2009, 05:44 PM
They only way that we get rid of Shaq is if we trade him during the offseason. There is no way that I can see us buying his contract out.

Hellcrooner
03-12-2009, 05:45 PM
and im sure suns wont want shaq in the Lakers, or Magic.

Gibby23
03-12-2009, 05:48 PM

Why wouldn't they want him on the Magic?

superkegger
03-12-2009, 05:57 PM
If I'm reading this right, which I'd like to think I am, if Amare opts out, as of right now the suns only have about 30 on the books for the summer of 2010. If they can maneuver shaq into a good young role player and cap space, sure go for it, but I think they'll just stick it out and rebuild. Maybe even cut nash loose this summer.

Super.
03-12-2009, 06:10 PM
Why wouldn't they want him on the Magic?

Shaq would never go there... Van Gundy and Shaq....they dont mix

Hellcrooner
03-12-2009, 06:11 PM
Because they wouldnt want to free gift a ring to anyone, and shaq in magic looks like a ring.

theimortalone
03-12-2009, 06:29 PM

Why would he go to the Magic? When he has problems with SVG? And also not to mention, they have D-12! No need for Shaq. He won't play back-up when he knows he still has game, and is getting paid 20 mil a year. It simply will not happen.

Nirvanaskurdt
03-12-2009, 06:43 PM
I wish they would trade him to New Jersey... :cool:

dandman1021
03-12-2009, 06:58 PM
i see hime with either LAL or Utah....who knows if he decides to put hard feelings behind, id welcome him back in miami

futureman
03-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Jazz wouldn't be able to afford his contract.

Kakaroach
03-12-2009, 07:12 PM
I would not like Shaq on the Jazz. I think he will be traded this off-season if he is not happy. Seems like he's kinda giving up though.

leftie5
03-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Talks with the Cavs might be brought up again in the offseason as they were pushing for him at the deadline. Maybe something like Varejao, Pavlovic, and a pick. It would be more of a financial move so we can't expect too much in return.

dwho12
03-12-2009, 07:56 PM
http://ball2live.com/nba/2009/03/does-shaq-want-out/

The Los Angeles Times reported that center Shaquille O’Neal “is saying privately he wants out” of Phoenix because the Suns pondered trading him last month and/or because they returned to their up-tempo offense. He declined comment Monday morning. “That’s intangible stuff,” guard Steve Nash said. “It’s hard to quantify. I hope he’s not unhappy. We just want him to be happy, feeling good about himself and ready to play.”

ink
03-12-2009, 08:08 PM
http://ball2live.com/nba/2009/03/does-shaq-want-out/

No need for a new thread on the same subject. Also, you are not allowed to post images.

Kidd>>>K-Mart
03-12-2009, 08:15 PM
love to see him go to the lakers

IndyRealist
03-12-2009, 08:34 PM
I guess I'm confused, why would Shaq get a choice where he goes? Outside of a contender, they'd only be trading for his expiring contract. If he refuses to play, he gets fined and the team gets some of that $20M back. If he plays, he's basically auditioning for contenders the following year, showing that he still has some gas in the tank. For a rebuilding team, trading for Shaq would be a no-lose proposition.

king4day
03-12-2009, 08:55 PM
If we're gonna trade him it'll be this summer. Otherwise, he'll likely get bought out before next March, barring a Suns playoff run.

td0tsfinest
03-13-2009, 12:32 AM
all i can say is fire steve kerr, he's transformed my team of the west from the best team in the league to a very very sad story

Duncan = Donkey
03-13-2009, 02:44 AM
i hope he is traded, cant stand him