PDA

View Full Version : Garrett Jones

gowarriors
03-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Anyone familiar with Garrett Jones?

He seems that he could potentially crack the roster, if not some time this year, maybe next year.

PiratesLife4Me
03-14-2009, 11:02 AM
He's been tearing it up in spring so far. I heard some rumblings that (since he can also play 1B in addition from OF) he could unseat LaRoche at first, who would be traded before the season starts. But I think this is highly, highly unlikely to happen...Jones is largely unproven as a major leaguer, and he'd only be a short-term fix anyway, so to hand the starting first base job over to him from day one of the season could be a total disaster. Later in the season, though, I could see this being a little more of a realistic possibility.

gowarriors
03-15-2009, 10:14 AM
I doubt he will replace LaRoche. I was thinking more of Pearce at 1st.

I guess we'll see.

cre0530
03-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Russle and Huntington both keep saying that although they haven't ruled Pierce out of the teams yet they would like to see him keep developing in the minors. So maybe Jones is the short term answer if Laroche is traded.

burgh_fan66
03-17-2009, 08:08 PM
assuming LaRoche doesnt get traded the chances of Jones making the team are slim, mainly because he bats left handed. At his position 1B and OF, the Pirates have Ad Laroche, B Moss, N McLouth and N Morgan as starters. The top two reserves are E Hinske (1B,3B,LF,RF) and R Vazquez (all IF positions). All of those batters are left handed so the Pirates are really looking for a right handed reserve bat. Because of this Craig Monroe will likely take the spot Jones is fighting for.

Persoanlly I would like to see Pearce given the job but I dont think that is very likely either.