PDA

View Full Version : NBA Mock Trade Deadline Finals Lakers-Magic

fins08
03-11-2009, 06:39 AM
NBA Mock Trade Deadline Finals

http://www1.whdh.com/images/news_articles/389x205/080604_NBA_Finals_logo.jpg

Game played on neutral court

PLEASE LOOK AT THE ROSTERS! THESE ARE NOT REAL TEAMS, SO PLEASE VOTE ON WHO WOULD WIN IN A 7 GAME SERIES!

Lakers (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8280956&postcount=32)
Magic (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8260923&postcount=20)

Thanks, and good luck. Poll closes at 8:00 PM EST

Lakers

PG: Tony Parker / Jordan Farmar
SG: Kobe Bryant / Sasha Vujacic / Sun Yue
SF: Corey Maggette / Bonzi Wells
PF: Lamar Odom / Josh Powell / Chris Mihm
C: Pau Gasol / Matt Bonner / D.J. Mbenga

Magic

C-Tyson Chandler/Melvin Ely/Marcin Gortat
PF-Tim Duncan/Glen Davis/P.J. Brown
SF-Mike Dunleavy/Andres Nocioni/Walter Hermann
SG-Raja Bell/James Posey
PG-Chris Paul/Travis Diener/Mike Wilks

http://hoopedia.nba.com/images/b/b0/Larry_obrien_championship.jpg

fins08
03-11-2009, 06:45 AM
Tony Parker vs Chris Paul

This is really almost a tie, but Parker being such a force in the Finals gives him the edge. They both are good at slashing, decent at shooting and alright on defense. Really the only difference is that Parker has dominated in the playoffs. BTW, Kobe will be on Paul and it will eliminate their offense.

Kobe Bryant vs Raja Bell

Look up the playoffs, Kobe usually destroys him. There is no way possible to assume Raja could even come close to matching what Kobe would do. Plus, with Raja being pretty mediocre on offense, we can play Kobe on Paul.

Corey Maggette vs Mike Dunleavy

This is a tie. Maggette is better inside and Dunleavy is better outside. They're both ok on defense. Neither one would win or lose the series.

Lamar Odom vs Tim Duncan

This is almost as far apart as Kobe/Bell. Duncan is amazing. He will get points, but that's ok with us. If we stop Paul, we stop Raja and Tyson too. Duncan wins this matchup, but on the other end, he won't stop Odom from getting to the rim, he's too slow when on the wing.

Pau Gasol vs Tyson Chandler

This is a huge win for us. With Kobe on Paul and Tim playing with the ball, Chandler's catch and dunks are gone. On the other hand, Gasol will take him off the dribble all series long. This would easily be the best offensive matchup for us and Gasol would take full advantage of it.

Benches

LA takes it. Posey and Nocioni are really good, but the other three are kinda terrible. On the other hand, Farmar, Sasha, Bonner and Powell are all currently contributing right now.

On Offense

We again will slow play this series and score in transition. With our great offense, we will put up points rather easily. Paul isn't great at stopping penetration, so we have that from Parker. Also, Duncan and Tyson neither one could stop Odom from penetrating either. This will be their downfall. They WON'T stop penetration and because of that, we'll score very easily. We know they'll bring up the fact Raja and Posey will shut Kobe down, but we know it won't happen. Raja couldn't stop him when he was great at defense, now that he's mediocre, he really wouldn't. During the Finals, Posey did slow down Kobe, but he also had great defenders in Rondo and Pierce to help double. Now he has two MUCH weaker defenders with him and Kobe has Parker and Maggette instead of Fisher and Vlad. There's no way they would come off either to double on Kobe. If they did, it be easy buckets over and over.

On Defense

Kobe is going to be on Paul a lot. They've clearly set up the Hornets Pt. II. By stopping Paul, you stop the outside spot up shooters and Tyson's dunks. Kobe is one of, if not the best perimeter defenders in the league and ALWAYS guards from CP3, to Wade, to LeBron. Very rarely do they outduel him. Just recently Kobe helped hold LeBron to one of his worst shooting games of the year. There is no reason to believe he won't stop Paul now either. Duncan is going to score and we're ok with that. If we shut down CP3, Raja and Tyson, he and Mike won't be able to outscore our offense. This defense will also lead to a lot of transition points. That will make it even harder on them to try outscoring us. We don't have a great defensive team, but we do have the right kind of defensive team to stop this offense.

Conclusion
Kobe will be too much again. With Parker and Odom penetrating, he'll get open looks outside. When Raja is on him, he'll be blowing by him to the rim to create for others and himself. With him not having to do everything, he will have plenty of energy and concentration to stop CP3. There is no possible way they can argue for stopping this team from scoring. Neither of their post guys are good at defending from the perimeter and none of their wing guys are good enough to stop Parker and Kobe. On the other hand, Kobe can stop Paul because he's proven he can. By Kobe stopping Paul, he also stops Raja (spot up shooter) and Tyson (a catch and dunker). So Kobe essentially eliminates 60% of their offense. That means if we choose to have Gasol and Odom double Duncan, we can without worrying about Tyson. He can't create his shot, so it's not like he would hurt us. Maggette and Parker arn't the greatest defenders, but Parker can stand with Raja outside and Maggette is much more athletic than Mike in order to keep him from slashing. No matter what kind of offense they want to run, they're really hurt by relying on CP3 for their shots so much. If we take away CP3, he, Raja and Tyson are gone. If they somehow take away Parker, we still have Kobe and Odom who can create shots for others. Duncan and Gasol can both pass well, so that would be a wash. Our defense isn't the best, but Kobe being such a great defender and their reliance on Paul to create offense kills their chances at the title.

This series is basically like LAL and SAS in the playoffs last year. LAL won pretty easily and that was without Parker and Maggette. Plus, CP3/Raja isn't as good as Parker/Manu either. After how that series transpired, there's no reason to think the same thing wouldn't happen again.

1 Orlando Magic vs. 1 Los Angeles Lakers

There is a familiar saying in the NBA: "Defense wins championships". It's hard to imagine that an NBA Finals series, of all series, would come down to something so simple. The Magic have it and the Lakers don't. That's what the series comes down to.

The Lakers are loaded with offensive firepower. All five of their starters can score from just about anywhere on the court and four of the five are at least solid playmakers. But offensively, we're just about on their level. And defensively, we're miles ahead.

Frontcourt: Tyson Chandler and Tim Duncan vs. Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom

Duncan is one of the most physical post players in the league. Gasol and Odom, as the 2008 NBA Finals showed us, aren't fond of banging inside. Gasol is a long, agile, smart defender, but the negative label he's been branded with of being soft couldn't be more accurate. Odom isn't exactly a slouch defensively and he's put up some good shows at that end of the floor but he's well below average as a defender and neither will stand a chance at stopping the postseason megastar in Duncan. Chandler is not an offensive stud by any means, but playing off Chris Paul, he'll still get his in this match-up.

Defensively, we have our bases covered. Like with Shawn Marion in the previous series, Chandler has the length and mobility to play Odom inside or out. When Odom ventures outside, he can just give him space, play him for the drive and let him shoot. Odom's a very solid all around player but very inconsistent offensively, especially as a starter. Duncan, arguably the best post defender in the NBA, will have little trouble containing Gasol.

Edge: Magic

Small forward: Mike Dunleavy/Andres Nocioni/James Posey vs. Corey Maggette

Dunleavy and Maggette are both strictly scorers. Neither excels defensively and neither does much else. Maggette is slightly superior from that category but Posey and Nocioni, two tough, hard-nosed defenders would also see substantial playing time here. Defensively, we're already getting much more from our small forwards than the Lakers are from theirs and with Chris Paul creating for the three of them, we would have no trouble totaling or even surpassing the Lakers production here.

Edge: Even

Backcourt: Chris Paul and Raja Bell/James Posey vs. Tony Parker/Jordan Farmar and Kobe Bryant/Sasha Vujacic

Truly an epic battle here. But again, defense is what makes the difference for us. One of Raja Bell or James Posey will be hounding Kobe Bryant at all times. Neither can stop him, no one can, but their combined efforts will definitely keep him out of rhythm for portions of the series and cutting off his playmaking and scoring at times should be enough to make a difference in his impact on the series as a whole. The Lakers can choose to stick him on Paul if they like, but that would be a simply exhausting task on a 30+ year old in an NBA Finals after a long playoffs/regular season. I'm sure he could do it, but it would tremendously influence his impact at the offensive end of the floor.

Paul will defend Parker. We don't expect him to stop TP, but merely to slow him down on occassions. Paul is just as quick as Parker and a far superior defender. Parker is incredibly fast both laterally and in the open court but he's not a defensive stalwart by any means and CP3 would have little trouble getting his against the likes of TP.

Edge: Even

Defense wins championships. The Lakers are ridiculously talented offensively but their defense is sorely lacking. Their frontcourt is soft and the only noteworthy defender in their starting 5 is Kobe and he'll be too busy doing his damage offensively to fret about making the impact he's capable of on the defensive end. Duncan has never lost in the Finals and that wouldn't change here. Magic in 6. Good luck to lakersrock and the Lakers.

writeups

michaellui11
03-11-2009, 07:11 AM
lakers

EX-TREME
03-11-2009, 12:03 PM
lakers

still1ballin
03-11-2009, 12:11 PM
lakers

juggla53
03-11-2009, 12:21 PM
If you looking at the whole back court there is no way its even as it says in the magic writeup.

hotpotato1092
03-11-2009, 01:48 PM
As mad as I am that I lost too the Magic I'm not gonna let that cloud my judgement, they are the best team left and deserve to win this series.

GrkGawdofWalkz
03-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Much better defense in the block for the Magic, nice defense on the wings in Bell, Posey. Good production off bench as well as nice complimentary players. They have it all. Duncan and Paul is definitely a legitimate plus for them.

DerekRE_3
03-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Magic. Defense wins championships. They have tough perimeter defenders to throw at Kobe with Raja Bell and James Posey. They have the best post player in the game in Tim Duncan, and arguably the best PG in Chris Paul. They also have that Chris Paul Tyson Chandler alley oop connection. They have shooters in Dunleavy and Bell that can spread the floor. Good luck trying to double team Duncan in this series.

PutMeInCoach
03-11-2009, 02:32 PM
magic - their defense is killer, and their offense is very good as well

DerekRE_3
03-11-2009, 02:37 PM
Just read the part about how the Lakers are going to put Kobe on Chris Paul. Good luck Kobe, exerting so much energy on defense guarding Paul and then trying to be the go to guy on offense sounds pretty tough.

DrDEADalready
03-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Oh crap..I voted for Lakers. but I over looked Magic have Tim Duncan. and also Paul running the point. Paul feeding Duncan does it for me. so Magic would take this one in 7 games.

fredv
03-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Lakers.

Paul is basically a better Parker, so i'm not convinced they could be so good.

It was tough, but the Kobe factor has made the balance bend.

NYK All the Way
03-11-2009, 03:28 PM
It's clear that both of these teams are pretty evenly matched so I based my vote primarily on both of your writeups, which were damn disappointing.

Fins08- It is painfully obvious how much your bias as a lakers fan kicked in here...I'm assuming your from miami so maybe you're not a lakers fan at all, but lets be serious you're bench is poop compared to that of the magics. Do you really expect the combo of corey maggette and BONZI WELLS (does he even play anymore) to cover mike dunleavy, andres nocioni and james posey?...theres no way. I'd also take the combo of ely and davis/brown over powell and bonner any day. I think you're underestimating tyson chandler, too. Pau Gasol is a proven softy (look at last years finals) and Chandler has proven to be a beast with CP3.

And to the manager of the magic, rocketsrule i'm assuming: you're team is also solid, but i think you could have made a better case for some of the matchups. Corey Maggette is a hell of a player but he has proven to be inconsistent and sometimes lacking in heart. I'm also not sure how well he'd fit in next to Kobe taking 25-30 shots a game. You also kind of contradicted youself when you said: Odom isn't exactly a slouch defensively and he's put up some good shows at that end of the floor but he's well below average as a defender. I think you meant to say that he's not bad defensively he's just not the greatest which is definitely true.

I had to give it to the magic in 7.

VCaintdead17
03-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Magic. TP is NOT better than Paul.

ShakeN'Bake
03-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Magic's defense ftw

lakersrock
03-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Just read the part about how the Lakers are going to put Kobe on Chris Paul. Good luck Kobe, exerting so much energy on defense guarding Paul and then trying to be the go to guy on offense sounds pretty tough.

If you read it, you'd see Kobe isn't the go to guy this series. We woud penetrate and kick. Seeing that Paul and Duncan couldn't stop Parker and Odom from penetrating, their "great" defense would be shattered. I just wonder how they have such a great D with Paul being alright, Raja being mediocre and Mike being pretty bad.

If Kobe stopped Paul, they wouldn't score and that's all there is to it.

I already congratulated CF on making it and he has a great team, but Paul wouldn't be Paul if he had to deal with Kobe on him every game.

hotpotato1092
03-11-2009, 03:52 PM
If you read it, you'd see Kobe isn't the go to guy this series. We woud penetrate and kick. Seeing that Paul and Duncan couldn't stop Parker and Odom from penetrating, their "great" defense would be shattered. I just wonder how they have such a great D with Paul being alright, Raja being mediocre and Mike being pretty bad.

I already congratulated CF on making it and he has a great team, but Paul wouldn't be Paul if he had to deal with Kobe on him every game.

First of all, Bell and Paul are both at worst above average defenders, Kobe and Parker wouldn't be as effective as usual either. Second, even with an elite defender on him he's still Chris Paul, there's simply nothing you can say or do that makes Tony Parker better than him. You can slow CP3 down, but he can't be stopped. Also, Lamar Odom has to guard either Duncan or Chandler, there's no way he can guard Duncan because he's simply Tim Duncan, much better defenders have failed. He can't guard Chandler because of the height difference, CP3 would just lob it up and Chandler would slam it down and Odom wouldn't be able to stop it. The Magic could also throw James Posey on Kobe for 20 minutes or so per game (like they did against LeBron in my series vs them), which would seriously hurt Kobe's already lowered production from having to guard Chris Paul. Also, you have to consider how the rest of the team would be affected by the switch from the triangle, Pau is a perfect fit as a triangle center but he's really more of a power forward in a normal offense. If KG and Perkins were able to bully to Pau and Odom down low in the finals last year shouldn't Duncan and Chandler be able to do the same? Not too mention Maggette has a tendancy to turn into a chucker and he is the worst player in their starting five, overall I think it's Magic in 6.

Catfish1314
03-11-2009, 04:20 PM
Fins08- It is painfully obvious how much your bias as a lakers fan kicked in here...I'm assuming your from miami so maybe you're not a lakers fan at all, but lets be serious you're bench is poop compared to that of the magics. Do you really expect the combo of corey maggette and BONZI WELLS (does he even play anymore) to cover mike dunleavy, andres nocioni and james posey?...theres no way. I'd also take the combo of ely and davis/brown over powell and bonner any day. I think you're underestimating tyson chandler, too. Pau Gasol is a proven softy (look at last years finals) and Chandler has proven to be a beast with CP3.

Fins was the commissioner of the Mock Trade Deadline. He didn't write either of those write-ups. Just an fyi.

And to the manager of the magic, rocketsrule i'm assuming: you're team is also solid, but i think you could have made a better case for some of the matchups. Corey Maggette is a hell of a player but he has proven to be inconsistent and sometimes lacking in heart. I'm also not sure how well he'd fit in next to Kobe taking 25-30 shots a game. You also kind of contradicted youself when you said: Odom isn't exactly a slouch defensively and he's put up some good shows at that end of the floor but he's well below average as a defender. I think you meant to say that he's not bad defensively he's just not the greatest which is definitely true.

I had to give it to the magic in 7.

That would be me. What I meant by that statement was Odom is not a slouch defensively but he's well below average. Being below average doesn't necessarily make you a slouch. Gasol is also a below average defender, but like Odom he's not a slouch. Ben Gordon is also a below average defender and he is definitely a slouch. I define a defensive slouch as someone who is simply not committed and doesn't put up the best effort capable at the defensive end of the floor. That would be a guy like Ben Gordon.

Gasol and Odom have both been committed to defense before. They're not great, stalwarts, or even average, but they try.

Catfish1314
03-11-2009, 04:24 PM

Well to be fair, there is no stopping a superstar like Chris Paul. Just like there's no stopping LeBron, Kobe, Wade, or Duncan. You can make them work for everything and hope that slows them down.

And I still wish you and your team the best of luck. Arguably the best offensive team in a mock or ReDraft ever.

lakersrock
03-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Well to be fair, there is no stopping a superstar like Chris Paul. Just like there's no stopping LeBron, Kobe, Wade, or Duncan. You can make them work for everything and hope that slows them down.

And I still wish you and your team the best of luck. Arguably the best offensive team in a mock or ReDraft ever.

Didn't Kobe just hold LeBron to 5-20 shooting? I'd say that's pretty much stopping him.

At least I get to lose to someone I like. That's why I'm really not upset in the least. I don't think your D is as good as people think, but Paul and Duncan is really good.

Thanks. That's saying a lot seeing how good some have been.

unwantedplayer
03-11-2009, 04:41 PM
Magic

celticfan
03-11-2009, 04:49 PM
gotta go magic

Sportfan
03-11-2009, 05:21 PM
tp is not better than cp3 and chandler gasol isnt really THAT big. but i gotta go with the lake show

DerekRE_3
03-11-2009, 05:33 PM

Well then, with the rest of the Magic D I think there's no way you win this unless Kobe has a huge series. Using your best player as a defensive stopper instead of the go to guy on offense...is a questionable move.

fins08
03-11-2009, 05:49 PM
It's clear that both of these teams are pretty evenly matched so I based my vote primarily on both of your writeups, which were damn disappointing.

I hate the Lakers and Kobe since Shaq came here. (Did not affect my decision at all.) And lakersrock is the GM

fins08
03-11-2009, 08:36 PM
NBA Champions Orlando Magic!

dre1990
03-11-2009, 08:57 PM
LA in 7

VCaintdead17
03-11-2009, 09:01 PM
good job orlando! :clap:

greg_ory_2005
03-11-2009, 09:34 PM
I'd say magic.

GSW fan
03-11-2009, 09:51 PM
Magic in 5
odom on duncan, no way
bell/posey on bryant is a good matchup.

superkegger
03-11-2009, 11:25 PM
To me it was basically, the advantage kobe has vs the advantage duncan has. And to me, I felt like Kobe could exploit his matchups better.

lakersrock
03-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Kobe vs Artest/Battier tonight was no contest and they're MUCH better than Bell/Posey. Anyways, I guess everyone in here can believe they'd stop Kobe.

lorenz00
03-11-2009, 11:46 PM
it has to be the lakers!!! the starting 3 of the Current lakers are in and you add a amazing point guard than parker and add a scoring wing like maggety deadly!

Duncan = Donkey
03-12-2009, 12:39 AM
Magic

DerekRE_3
03-12-2009, 01:15 AM
Kobe vs Artest/Battier tonight was no contest and they're MUCH better than Bell/Posey. Anyways, I guess everyone in here can believe they'd stop Kobe.

Artest is actually not good at all when he defends Kobe. He is too big, heavy, and slow to keep up with Bryant. Guys like John Salmons did a much better job on him. Bell and Posey are a better matchup on Kobe because they are quicker than both Battier and Artest.

superkegger
03-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Artest is actually not good at all when he defends Kobe. He is too big, heavy, and slow to keep up with Bryant. Guys like John Salmons did a much better job on him. Bell and Posey are a better matchup on Kobe because they are quicker than both Battier and Artest.

Posey aint that quick.

DerekRE_3
03-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Posey aint that quick.

He's quicker than Battier.

lakersrock
03-12-2009, 01:29 AM
To negate your point about Artest being slow and bulky, Kobe was knocking him around in the post. Plus, he was blowing by both of them like they weren't even there. Raja is the slowest of the four and Posey isn't THAT good without Rondo and Pierce on each side.

DerekRE_3
03-12-2009, 01:46 AM
To negate your point about Artest being slow and bulky, Kobe was knocking him around in the post. Plus, he was blowing by both of them like they weren't even there. Raja is the slowest of the four and Posey isn't THAT good without Rondo and Pierce on each side.

That further proves my point that Artest isn't good at guarding Kobe...he has the advantage on the perimeter, because he's quicker than Artest, and apparently he can take him in the post as well.

Posey had the reputation of being a good defender in Miami before he went to Boston, so I'm not sure what Pierce and Rondo have to do with it. And Raja Bell is pretty quick laterally, if he wasn't...he wouldn't be a good defender.

lakersrock
03-12-2009, 02:27 AM
That further proves my point that Artest isn't good at guarding Kobe...he has the advantage on the perimeter, because he's quicker than Artest, and apparently he can take him in the post as well.

Posey had the reputation of being a good defender in Miami before he went to Boston, so I'm not sure what Pierce and Rondo have to do with it. And Raja Bell is pretty quick laterally, if he wasn't...he wouldn't be a good defender.

He's NOT a good defender. He hasn't been for 2-3 years now. Even then he was more name than substance in terms of actually playing good defense.

DerekRE_3
03-12-2009, 03:38 AM
He's NOT a good defender. He hasn't been for 2-3 years now. Even then he was more name than substance in terms of actually playing good defense.

Whatever you say...I happen to watch Raja Bell a lot and he's a pretty good defender.

Faneik
03-12-2009, 07:13 AM
Magic, imo is a more balanced team.

lakersrock
03-13-2009, 01:36 AM
Odom - 12-10 5-12 shooting

Duncan - 16-11 6-13 shooting

Hmmmm, maybe you guys were wrong. :D