PDA

View Full Version : The underutilized, Unstoppable move!!!

Kyben36
03-10-2009, 10:17 PM
I was wondering why NBA teams dont utilize the most unstopable move in the NBA. The back Screen. You all know what Im talking about, when a player is screened from behind and gets stuck behind the offensive player every time. Why dont teams use this more often, especialy when you have an athletic player like Dwight howard ( or any other very athletic player ), If someone was to set a backscreen when he is at the top of the Key, and he gets going to the rim, an alley oop is there every time. Yes, It is stopable but its so underutized by teams. Deffenses would have to compensate and when the back screen is set by sending a defender under the hoop, leaving someone open. What do you guys think?

DerekRE_3
03-10-2009, 10:21 PM
The Bobcats do it with Gerald Wallace a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXPCSPW9DVw

Kyben36
03-10-2009, 10:30 PM
The Bobcats do it with Gerald Wallace a lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXPCSPW9DVw

That wasnt a Back screen, it was just him cutting when his Defender looked away. This is what Im talking about, watch Derrick Rose set the back screen for Salmons around 1:25. He gets an easy dunk out of the play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCw2pEgzYR8

DerekRE_3
03-10-2009, 10:33 PM
That wasnt a Back screen, it was just him cutting when his Defender looked away. This is what Im talking about, watch Derrick Rose set the back screen for Salmons around 1:25. He gets an easy dunk out of the play.

My mistake, I thought I remembered there being a screen, either way it's the same principle. And they do back screens for him regardless of what that video shows.

albertc86
03-10-2009, 10:39 PM
The skyhook, hands down. The tear drop is also highly effective.

Jacob K.
03-10-2009, 10:39 PM
staright up you could probably build a your whole offense around it, youd just have to do it right

MAC10TIZZY
03-10-2009, 10:54 PM
we use something like that every night, its just run from the top of the key...

dandman1021
03-10-2009, 10:55 PM
very good question....i dont know the answer

Kyben36
03-10-2009, 10:55 PM
we use something like that every night, its just run from the top of the key...

^ Well it works doesnt it, why isnt it used more than it is. How can you stop it. I would love to see it run 3-5 times a game, yet, it isnt

Jonathan2323
03-10-2009, 10:56 PM
D Wade is unstoppable!!! how he zig zags thru the defense.

Kyben36
03-10-2009, 10:59 PM
D Wade is unstoppable!!! how he zig zags thru the defense.

IDK, He is a beast, but unstopable, If you can keep him on the perrimiter it would realy be able to contain him, but yes, when he gets into the lane, Any Defense is ****ed.

IndyRealist
03-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Because NBA players in general don't like to move without the ball. Especially if their primary ballhander doesn't reward players for expending the energy.

MoBASS
03-11-2009, 02:07 AM
It's a great play, but these guys are athletic freaks and would be able to catch on to it very quickly if you run it several times in a row. But peppered in every once in a while.. it's fantastic.

Chronz
03-11-2009, 03:24 AM
The Jazz run them alot but its not to set up lobs, it just depends on the personnel and the opposing teams defense. But yea it probably is underutilized because most teams dont run structured offenses, it takes longer for a team to develop that kind of chemistry. But no offense is indefensible, you have to mix it in, the teams that run those the best usually do so with a combination of flair screens and weakside movement, you have to have threats all over the floor, not many teams have that.

On that possession though the Bulls have a great set up, not many bigmen have the touch and the shooting range to pull opposing bigs out and make the pass.

ntat
03-11-2009, 03:32 AM
it is only so efficient because its not ran over and over. If thats all u did, then the guy setting the back screen, would eventually be met with a player that planted his feet right behind him, so he couldnt roll.

clehmun
03-11-2009, 03:43 AM
it is only so efficient because its not ran over and over. If thats all u did, then the guy setting the back screen, would eventually be met with a player that planted his feet right behind him, so he couldnt roll.

exactly. it's a good play because a lot of the times defenders are surprised by the play which makes it so unstoppable.

it's like saying amare is shooting 43% from 3pt land (which is a great percentage), why doesn't he take more 3s?

and IMO, a lot of plays are unstoppable or extremely difficult to stop if it's ran properly, so you can probably ask that question for a lot of plays in the playbook.

Atticus Finch
03-11-2009, 03:55 AM
The skyhook, hands down. The tear drop is also highly effective.

I thought this thread was going to be about the skyhook. THAT is the most unstoppable move in the NBA

blackjack_119
03-11-2009, 04:39 AM
staright up you could probably build a your whole offense around it, youd just have to do it right

Glad you liked the quote.

Regarding back screens, they would not be effective against good defenses because good defenses communicate. If the defender is told that a back pick is coming, they are much easier to defend than the PNR.

It would work against defenses that don't communicate, but against those teams, you can usually just work the ball around the floor and find an open shot.

michaellui11
03-11-2009, 07:16 AM
kobe turn around jumper
hands down

Kyle N.
03-11-2009, 03:03 PM
I always thought the alley-oop is underultilized.

DrDEADalready
03-11-2009, 03:41 PM
Isn't that considered a Pick and Roll? (jazz do that all the time) I'm having a hard time imagining the play by they way you worded it.

IndyRealist
03-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Isn't that considered a Pick and Roll? (jazz do that all the time) I'm having a hard time imagining the play by they way you worded it.

The back-screen comes from a player without the ball, which is part of why it is different from PNR. In effect, two players are working the pick-n-roll without the ball, leaving 3 players the defense has to worry about. If the defenders off the play adjust too soon then the ball gets passed to the open weak side player, often a jump shooter. If they adjust too late, then the rolling player has a free look at the basket, and can sprint at full speed since he's not dribbling the ball. The Pacers run this baseline with several different guards, TJ Ford, Mike Dunleavy, Jarret Jack, and Marquis Daniels.

DrDEADalready
03-11-2009, 05:16 PM
Oh okay. I can Imagine it now.

chicagowhitesox
03-11-2009, 07:46 PM
obviously it's not unstoppable.

SteveNash
03-11-2009, 07:47 PM

It worked because that was some horrible defense by Wade?