PDA

View Full Version : Braves release RHP Lerew, re-assign 3 others

Braves83
03-10-2009, 07:26 PM
The Braves released right-handed pitcher Anthony Lerew in their first round of roster cuts on Tuesday.

Right-handed pitchers Rafael Cruz and Emiliano Fruto, and left-handed pitcher Juan Perez were all reassigned to minor league camp.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/braves/stories/2009/03/10/braves_lerew.html

hawksd911
03-10-2009, 08:00 PM
there goes 4 who can make the team.

THE_FLASH_21
03-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Lerew is a solid pitcher. Sucks we have no space for him. Will get a shot somewhere else for sure...

jmtapia
03-11-2009, 05:25 PM
Lerew went unclaimed so the Braves get to keep him even if he isnt on the 40 man roster...

rtgthree
03-11-2009, 05:55 PM
Lerew went unclaimed so the Braves get to keep him even if he isnt on the 40 man roster...

Braves already went through that stage last week. He cleared waivers and accepted an assignment to Gwinnett, but now they've decided they don't even want him there. Now they are releasing him outright, making him a free agent, and he will sign elsewhere.

THE_FLASH_21
03-11-2009, 05:58 PM
^ that sucks..... He has potential....

rtgthree
03-11-2009, 06:21 PM
^ that sucks..... He has potential....

He's 26, doesn't have great stuff, just had surgery, and has a history of attitude issues (didn't like being moved to the bullpen). There is still potential, but mostly there is risk and slack. Maybe he'll turn up as somebody's twelfth pitcher some day, but that's no loss. My guess is that he was none too happy that he was quite obviously going to be crowded out of Gwinnett's powerhouse rotation and the Braves were smart to be more than willing to let him take his complaints and his underwhelming track record elsewhere.

runningcircles
03-12-2009, 12:33 AM
He's 26, doesn't have great stuff, just had surgery, and has a history of attitude issues (didn't like being moved to the bullpen). There is still potential, but mostly there is risk and slack. Maybe he'll turn up as somebody's twelfth pitcher some day, but that's no loss. My guess is that he was none too happy that he was quite obviously going to be crowded out of Gwinnett's powerhouse rotation and the Braves were smart to be more than willing to let him take his complaints and his underwhelming track record elsewhere.

RTG, or anybody else in the know for that matter, what is your best guess as to the opening day starting rotation for Gwinnett? You just mentioned they are sure to have a powerhouse rotation and it was the first time I realized that the depth we now have in Atlanta's rotation is sure to mean our AAA affiliate will have some good, young arms in it's rotation as well. Some of our starters like Jo-Jo and Morton can now get that extra minor league time I feel they needed before being called up. Who else besides Hanson (assuming Glavine is able to be our 5th starter the first month of the season and TH can start the season in Gwinnett), Reyes, and Morton should be in that rotation?

rtgthree
03-12-2009, 09:07 AM
RTG, or anybody else in the know for that matter, what is your best guess as to the opening day starting rotation for Gwinnett? You just mentioned they are sure to have a powerhouse rotation and it was the first time I realized that the depth we now have in Atlanta's rotation is sure to mean our AAA affiliate will have some good, young arms in it's rotation as well. Some of our starters like Jo-Jo and Morton can now get that extra minor league time I feel they needed before being called up. Who else besides Hanson (assuming Glavine is able to be our 5th starter the first month of the season and TH can start the season in Gwinnett), Reyes, and Morton should be in that rotation?

Besides Hanson, Morton and Reyes, James Parr, Todd Redmond, Jorge Campillo and Kris Medlen are all candidates.

baseballislife7
03-12-2009, 09:47 AM
What a potential rotataion. There are some MLB teams that would take that.

jmtapia
03-12-2009, 02:54 PM
i think our AAA rotation will be:

Hanson
Morton
Reyes
Parr
Medlen

hawksd911
03-12-2009, 03:48 PM
^^^
Its kinda funny that, that rotation looks as good as the end of last years rotation for the Braves.

A_Brave_Pack
03-12-2009, 04:08 PM
^^^That's because it WAS the Braves rotation at the end of last year (outside of Hanson).

Sigh. Haha.