Washington Wizards Archive

Wizards Links
Washington Home Page
Washington Roster
Washington Message Board
Find Wizards Tickets
Feedback or Suggestions

Mar 10, 2009 5:18 PM EST
NBA agent David Falk admitted in an radio interview with WJFK in DC that Michael Jordan, then with the Wizards, didn't make the decision to draft Kwame Brown with the top overall pick in 2001.

"That was not his decision," Falk said. "That was someone else's decision. Kwame Brown was the first high school player ever drafted (#1 overall) and certain people in the organization thought that would have tremendous promotional value on ticket sales."

Falk continued on the subject, saying that Jordan wanted to bring Elton Brand to Washington instead.

"Michael wanted Elton Brand. They wanted to make a trade, he wanted to bring in Elton Brand."

I just thought this was interesting because people often point to this when talking about MJ's GM Skills. And he apparently would have made a much better decision in this case.

IndyRealist
03-10-2009, 06:58 PM
He's not MJ's only mistake, but glad to hear that it's not on him.

_Sn1P3r_
03-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Good to see that this wasn't MJs fault. Elton Brand would've been a nice add.

DODGERS&LAKERS
03-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Thats good, but who drafted that monstrosity they call Adam Morrison?

S.J.Basketball
03-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Well its a good thing Kwame was drafted for "ticket sales" hahahaha.

Lowstrings
03-10-2009, 07:18 PM

Adam had potential and he's a proven player back in college. No one could have predicted that he was going to be a bust in the NBA. He was phenomenal when he was still in Gonzaga, and I think any GM would have taken him if MJ didn't get him first.

I still think he can make it. As of now the opportunity has not presented itself to Adam yet. Maybe next year. Kid still has promise.

leftymo
03-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Looks like a lot of excuses or MJ lovers...

As a GM you are judged by how the team performs and who you draft/trade. So far, his two teams have been rather unimpressive. So, let their performance speak for his.

JordansBulls
03-10-2009, 07:41 PM
They wait 6 years to say this?

:pity:

BALLER71
03-10-2009, 07:44 PM
And if it was true, he still blows as a GM.

Chi-Town Finest
03-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Well, Brand was traded in that draft.

Kakaroach
03-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Lol he's still a horrible GM. Anyone heard of the 3rd overall pick Adam Morrison, who ended up being traded for Vlad Rad?! Thats like taking a guy like Vlad Rad 3rd overall. :speechless:

bleedprple&gold
03-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Adam had potential and he's a proven player back in college. No one could have predicted that he was going to be a bust in the NBA. He was phenomenal when he was still in Gonzaga, and I think any GM would have taken him if MJ didn't get him first.

Acutally I think it was pretty easy to see he was going to be a bust in the nba (but not as big a bust has he has been). I groaned when he was taken 3rd overall because I knew his game wouldn't translate well to the nba level. He should have been a mid-to-late first round pick at best.

WSUJJ
03-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Lol he's still a horrible GM. Anyone heard of the 3rd overall pick Adam Morrison, who ended up being traded for Vlad Rad?! Thats like taking a guy like Vlad Rad 3rd overall. :speechless:

He looked very promising at Gonzaga, you have to admit it was the right decision, if they had the right coaches, Adam would be a star over there.

Chi-Town Finest
03-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Cant argue with the Morrison pick because he passed on Gay and Roy but so did quite a few others and his pick last year of Augustine looks pretty good so far.

dre1990
03-10-2009, 07:58 PM
I dont think It matters, they still drafted him

jetsfan28
03-10-2009, 07:58 PM
I didn't hold this against him anyway, MOST PEOPLE would've probably taken Kwame.

SteveNash
03-10-2009, 08:00 PM
I thought Jordan wanted Chandler, until Kwame came in and killed Chandler during the workouts.

Sounds like revisionist history to me.

Lowstrings
03-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Acutally I think it was pretty easy to see he was going to be a bust in the nba (but not as big a bust has he has been). I groaned when he was taken 3rd overall because I knew his game wouldn't translate well to the nba level. He should have been a mid-to-late first round pick at best.

I didn't see him as a superstar, I just thought he'd be a decent player who can put up numbers and help win games for them.

He looked very promising at Gonzaga, you have to admit it was the right decision, if they had the right coaches, Adam would be a star over there.

I agree. His injury didn't help either.

Anyway, what's done is done. He's a bust. All I'm saying is I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he eventually became the player that I thought he would be.

Kakaroach
03-10-2009, 08:02 PM
He looked very promising at Gonzaga, you have to admit it was the right decision, if they had the right coaches, Adam would be a star over there. Thats true and The Ammo is one of my favorite college players of all time, but it was obvious that he was just a shooter, something that is not really a 3rd overall pick.

MoBASS
03-10-2009, 08:03 PM
David Falk is trying to sell books. Ignore him.

pippsux
03-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Well I feel much better now :)

WSUJJ
03-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Plus Adam had amazing games when he was on T.V I remember him always being good on tv but when he isn't on tv he doesnt perform as well. That's one thing I noticed.

homestarunner93
03-10-2009, 08:16 PM

I still think he can make it. As of now the opportunity has not presented itself to Adam yet. Maybe next year. Kid still has promise.

He doesn't have promise, he has no room to get better, Morrison is what he is-terrible.

It was far from the right descision. He would be a star with the right coaches? :laugh:
The Bobcats gave him Larry Brown and he still sucked. There's no chance he'll ever be a star or ever would have been. MJ made that pick to raise ticket sales.

GregOden#1
03-10-2009, 08:17 PM
I didn't hold this against him anyway, MOST PEOPLE would've probably taken Kwame.

Kwame was a big reach.

Lowstrings
03-10-2009, 08:26 PM
He doesn't have promise, he has no room to get better, Morrison is what he is-terrible.

And you know this because? Maybe you know his training regime, or maybe you know the extent of his injury, or maybe you're his shrink and he tells you all this...

Or maybe you're just making your own "expert" judgement based on what you've read, seen on TV, or heard from somebody.

Nah, I say you're just hating, that's all.

Big Quett
03-10-2009, 08:47 PM
And you know this because? Maybe you know his training regime, or maybe you know the extent of his injury, or maybe you're his shrink and he tells you all this...

Or maybe you're just making your own "expert" judgement based on what you've read, seen on TV, or heard from somebody.

And what is your expert judgment in saying he would have become a star if he had a coach?

And nobody is hating on Adam. I mean really what is there to hate on? He is just not that good. People usually hate on good players. And like dude said he was being coached by a hall of fame coach in Larry Brown. What will be your excuse when he doesnt do anything under another Hall Of Fame coach in Phil Jackson?

What is next Greg Popovich, or Jerr Sloan?

And i liked him in college but when i saw him against Memphis i knew he was a fraud. The first half Rodney Carny who is about 6'6 was on him and he killed him. He just shot over him. He had like 14 in the 1st half. So in the 2nd half they put Shawne Williams on him who is 6'9 and athletic and he didnt score but 1 basket in the 2nd half. He couldn't get separation to get his shoot off.

I knew then he wouldnt be able to last in the league. And plus he is to slow footed to play D in the league. I mean he got injured when Luke Walton crossed him over in the summer league. That should say enough.

MJ-BULLS
03-10-2009, 08:57 PM
too late :pity:

mrblisterdundee
03-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Who cares if Mmichael Jordan didn't draft Kwame Brown. He's still proven himself inept in the managerial setting. He better not coach, or he'll become another version of Isiah.

Master Mind
03-10-2009, 09:18 PM
They wait 6 years to say this?

:pity:

I know rite

homestarunner93
03-10-2009, 10:35 PM

I think I'm more intitled to make my 'expert' judgment than you are, considering I'm a Bobcats fan and I've been WATCHING HIM HIS WHOLE DAMN CAREER. Oh, but he'll be a star, he just 'has to find the right coach'. I don't even know if Jesus could turn him into a star at this point. That would be his biggest and greatest miracle of all.

albertc86
03-10-2009, 10:36 PM
I call BS. He wanted Kwame. He worked out with him constantly and gave him high praise. What's the excuse for Morrison?

dandman1021
03-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Looks like MJ is still the man

Lowstrings
03-11-2009, 02:04 AM
I think I'm more intitled to make my 'expert' judgment than you are, considering I'm a Bobcats fan and I've been WATCHING HIM HIS WHOLE DAMN CAREER. Oh, but he'll be a star, he just 'has to find the right coach'. I don't even know if Jesus could turn him into a star at this point. That would be his biggest and greatest miracle of all.

The triangle makes good use of role players, all I'm saying is once given the chance to log in some minutes (when he learns the triangle), he might develop into something productive. I never said he was going to be a star either. As i have stated on my previous post, I said he could hopefuly turn into a decent player and help the team win games.

sixer04fan
03-11-2009, 02:07 AM

the man, the myth, the stache... i would draft him again if i were in that position!

abe_froman
03-11-2009, 02:24 AM
I call BS. He wanted Kwame. He worked out with him constantly and gave him high praise. What's the excuse for Morrison?

after maybe(dont remember him doing it before,could be wrong),what else would you expect/want a gm to do,say the guy the org picked sucked and refuse to even try to help him?

as for morrison,l.a. was off the boards,who do you take then,thomas??(then everyone would be ***** how stupid mj is for taking him,like they do the bulls).roy was a surprise or else he wouldnt have slipped as low as he did(in which case you have 6 others to blame for not taking/keeping roy as well)

mickybrneyes20
03-11-2009, 02:51 AM

They traded for him!

hotpotato1092
03-11-2009, 03:24 AM
Falk saying MJ didn't draft Kwame Brown is like people who say the holocaust never happened, say it as much as you want but we know it's not true.

clehmun
03-11-2009, 03:38 AM
cmon now, don't let his game affect the way you see him in other areas.
if this was some other no name basketball player in MJ's position, he'd get a lot more criticism.

1. if MJ didn't want kwame, wizards would not draft him. other staffs will have a say in the pick as well, so not all the blame is on MJ. but also, you can't take all the blame away from him as well.

2. MJ traded hamilton for stackhouse because he thought hamilton will never be a winner.

3. MJ drafted morrison. i never liked the idea of drafting non-athletic shooters with a lottery pick. even i knew morrison wouldn't be a star in the nba. but i had no idea he'd be this bad as of now. well, some of you are saying, he still has a chance to improve and be a better player. and if that's true, i find it even more funny because MJ just traded him away for radman.

4. dj augustin was a decent pick. but i see him as a great career backup (IMHO). the team already has felton, and the better pick would be brook lopez. who fills a big need, and also happens to be a better player.

MJ ia GOAT, but we need to accept the fact that not all great players turn out to be great GMs.

Hellcrooner
03-11-2009, 03:53 AM
Ok lets say this revisionist crap ( MJ is god and cant do no bad think ever!!!!! blah blah blah) is true.

Lets say he traded the pick for Brand.

well it still woudl be a MISTAKE, when Tony Parker and Pau Gasol where there to be taken.

KG2TB
03-11-2009, 05:36 AM
cmon now, don't let his game affect the way you see him in other areas.
if this was some other no name basketball player in MJ's position, he'd get a lot more criticism.

1. if MJ didn't want kwame, wizards would not draft him. other staffs will have a say in the pick as well, so not all the blame is on MJ. but also, you can't take all the blame away from him as well.

2. MJ traded hamilton for stackhouse because he thought hamilton will never be a winner.

3. MJ drafted morrison. i never liked the idea of drafting non-athletic shooters with a lottery pick. even i knew morrison wouldn't be a star in the nba. but i had no idea he'd be this bad as of now. well, some of you are saying, he still has a chance to improve and be a better player. and if that's true, i find it even more funny because MJ just traded him away for radman.

4. dj augustin was a decent pick. but i see him as a great career backup (IMHO). the team already has felton, and the better pick would be brook lopez. who fills a big need, and also happens to be a better player.

MJ ia GOAT, but we need to accept the fact that not all great players turn out to be great GMs.

I agree but the trade of J-Rich for Bell and Diaw is proving to be quite a good one. Not to mention getting Diop. He so far has been a disappointment as a GM I admit but he's slowly getting better. If one thing is certain, MJ doesn't accept mediocrity. I think he's learned from his mistakes and will continue to improve.

Big Quett
03-11-2009, 10:36 AM
I agree but the trade of J-Rich for Bell and Diaw is proving to be quite a good one. Not to mention getting Diop. He so far has been a disappointment as a GM I admit but he's slowly getting better. If one thing is certain, MJ doesn't accept mediocrity. I think he's learned from his mistakes and will continue to improve.

He didnt make those moves by himself. Although he might be a better GM now Those were larry brown moves. So you cant really give him credit for those. I mean just 3 years he drafted Adam over Rudy Gay, Brandon Roy, Alridge and i could go on. All of those guys were better prospects than Adam.

I can give him credit for one thing though. It was reported that MJ really wanted Brook but Larry Brown wanted DJ

fresh prince
03-11-2009, 12:30 PM
He's not MJ's only mistake, but glad to hear that it's not on him.

I call BS on this story.. MJ was the GM/VP of player personnel..

If he really wanted to draft Elton Brand then they would of. I dont believe for one second that the owner/management

1. Believed Kwame (who no one had heard of or seen play) would be a bigger draw that Elton Brand who starred at Duke

2. Would usurp Michael Jefferey Jordan's authority as GM if they did make the call then MJ should have walked on the spot..

I don't buy this

kEviN21
03-11-2009, 12:43 PM
All that matters is that the Bobcats now have a bright future and they will only get better.

abe_froman
03-11-2009, 03:01 PM
He didnt make those moves by himself. Although he might be a better GM now Those were larry brown moves. So you cant really give him credit for those. I mean just 3 years he drafted Adam over Rudy Gay, Brandon Roy, Alridge and i could go on. All of those guys were better prospects than Adam.

I can give him credit for one thing though. It was reported that MJ really wanted Brook but Larry Brown wanted DJ

he didnt draft morrison over aldridge,lamarcus was off the boards by the time time mj picked.

rudy went 9 and got traded(so many missed the boat not just him),same with roy except the number(6 others missed the boat to).20/20 hindsight highlighting names that did well from that draft(but not the draft order) is great,though

RodmansBulls
03-11-2009, 03:14 PM

Go back three years from now and honestly say you wouldn't of drafted Adam. The dude was a beast in college. The dude average 28.1 shooting 49.6% and 42.8 from 3 point land.

icon1914
03-11-2009, 03:50 PM
Go back three years from now and honestly say you wouldn't of drafted Adam. The dude was a beast in college. The dude average 28.1 shooting 49.6% and 42.8 from 3 point land.

He was doing great in college, but even then some critics questioned his ability to be productive in the league. He was not athletic and could have some serious trouble with bigger and quicker small forwards. Plus his defense sucked.