PDA

View Full Version : Spring Observations:

hoog
03-10-2009, 10:34 AM
I know it's early and that we still need to see our team when the WBC is over but here's some things I've seen:

Everette is every bit the .200 hitter I expected and I've said all along that his defense doesn't justify his average anymore. You'll find that his range is getting shorter. IMO, terrible pickup!

Why is Larish not playing more thirdbase in spring? I know Miggy is at the WBC but why not put Hessman over there and give Larish all the reps he can get at 3B? He's got alot more experience at 1B than 3B so why not let him get some reps? I don't get this. I think with his bat you need to get him on the field anytime Inge, Miggy, or an outfielder needs off. Without reps his play at 3B will hurt us.

Do we really have to choose between Thomas, Rayburn, Clevlan, Ramirez, and Wells for a roster spot? They all blow! Look at the strike out rate already for these guys. Geez, they get a door opened to them by the WBC and they all fail. Good thing we kept Thames at least.

Alex Avila is real close on making this team soon. Everytime I see him in the box score he does well. Looks like he needs to work a bit on throwing out runners but word is his defense is pretty solid. Look for him to move up quickly.

There is definately something still mentally wrong with Verlander. I think he's lost alot of confidence in his fastball and the use of it. He's just not the cocky confident dude he was when he came up. He's having a horrible spring and is starting to the walksies like Nate and a bunch of other guys.

On the bright side of pitching, Juan Rincon and Freddy Dolsi have been a ray of sunshine. Both are having very nice springs. For two guys that were on the bubble they sure look like solid roster guys to me.

Staying with pitching, the left handed bullpen combination of Seay and Rapada has looked pretty good. Seay is a streaky guy so I hope he's not wasting his best stuff down in Florida.

Again pitching, if I were to form my staff right now I'd go:

Starters:
Jackson
Verlander
Galaraga
Miner
Porcello

Bullpen:
Dolsi- long man
Seay- lefty long man
Rapada- short lefty
Rincon- 7th/8th guy
Perry- set up
Lyon- Closer

Don't really care what you do with Nate and Dontrell neither deserves a spot. Bonderman and Zumaya go on DL to start and then put in as needed. I know Porcello and Perry are young but they, so far, are the most deserving to land where I put them.

Rodney Stuckey
03-10-2009, 11:38 AM
I know it's early and that we still need to see our team when the WBC is over but here's some things I've seen:

Everette is every bit the .200 hitter I expected and I've said all along that his defense doesn't justify his average anymore. You'll find that his range is getting shorter. IMO, terrible pickup!

Why is Larish not playing more thirdbase in spring? I know Miggy is at the WBC but why not put Hessman over there and give Larish all the reps he can get at 3B? He's got alot more experience at 1B than 3B so why not let him get some reps? I don't get this. I think with his bat you need to get him on the field anytime Inge, Miggy, or an outfielder needs off. Without reps his play at 3B will hurt us.

Do we really have to choose between Thomas, Rayburn, Clevlan, Ramirez, and Wells for a roster spot? They all blow! Look at the strike out rate already for these guys. Geez, they get a door opened to them by the WBC and they all fail. Good thing we kept Thames at least.

Alex Avila is real close on making this team soon. Everytime I see him in the box score he does well. Looks like he needs to work a bit on throwing out runners but word is his defense is pretty solid. Look for him to move up quickly.

There is definately something still mentally wrong with Verlander. I think he's lost alot of confidence in his fastball and the use of it. He's just not the cocky confident dude he was when he came up. He's having a horrible spring and is starting to the walksies like Nate and a bunch of other guys.

On the bright side of pitching, Juan Rincon and Freddy Dolsi have been a ray of sunshine. Both are having very nice springs. For two guys that were on the bubble they sure look like solid roster guys to me.

Staying with pitching, the left handed bullpen combination of Seay and Rapada has looked pretty good. Seay is a streaky guy so I hope he's not wasting his best stuff down in Florida.

Starters:
Jackson
Verlander
Galaraga
Miner
Porcello

Bullpen:
Dolsi- long man
Seay- lefty long man
Rapada- short lefty
Rincon- 7th/8th guy
Perry- set up
Lyon- Closer
Don't really care what you do with Nate and Dontrell neither deserves a spot. Bonderman and Zumaya go on DL to start and then put in as needed. I know Porcello and Perry are young but they, so far, are the most deserving to land where I put them.

Just glad you are not the manager

Epic89
03-10-2009, 12:19 PM
I agree with Everett sucking, Rayburn and Clevlen too. But come on now dude; Ramirez and Wells are decent prospects, and you can't shut the door on Clete Thomas yet either. I don't think you can project any of them to be stars, but they're intriguing prospects.

Bondomania
03-10-2009, 05:16 PM
clevlen is hitting .278 and isn't even striking out that often.. i don't get why people this guy sucks.. he has actually carried our offense at times.. Miner isn't even pitching well this spring.. Bonderman is going to be fine to start the season.. Everett shouldn't make the team.. Thames is only hitting .222 so thank god we kept him.. get real.. Thames is brutal in the field and all he does is add an occassional homerun to our team.. but as fast as he gets hot, he gets just as cold.. Porcello needs to start in AA to keep refining his secondary pitches.. Ramirez and Wells are exciting prospects.. i bet one of them becomes and everyday player in the league.. both have monsterous power and are 5 tool type players.

mark1125
03-10-2009, 05:27 PM
clevlen is hitting .278 and isn't even striking out that often.. i don't get why people this guy sucks.. he has actually carried our offense at times.. Miner isn't even pitching well this spring.. Bonderman is going to be fine to start the season.. Everett shouldn't make the team.. Thames is only hitting .222 so thank god we kept him.. get real.. Thames is brutal in the field and all he does is add an occassional homerun to our team.. but as fast as he gets hot, he gets just as cold.. Porcello needs to start in AA to keep refining his secondary pitches.. Ramirez and Wells are exciting prospects.. i bet one of them becomes and everyday player in the league.. both have monsterous power and are 5 tool type players.

I agree with everything you just said. Mainly that Porcello needs to be in the minors.

Epic89
03-12-2009, 01:09 AM
I can respect folks who want Porcello to stay in the minors. However, I hope they realize that means forfeiting the 2009 season.

scottie
03-12-2009, 10:02 AM

Starters:
Jackson
Verlander
Galaraga
Miner
Porcello

Bullpen:
Dolsi- long man
Seay- lefty long man
Rapada- short lefty
Rincon- 7th/8th guy
Perry- set up
Lyon- Closer

Does anyone else think Jackson should be our number 1 over Verlander? I don't

mark1125
03-12-2009, 01:59 PM
I can respect folks who want Porcello to stay in the minors. However, I hope they realize that means forfeiting the 2009 season.

There are a lot of iffs in my opinion. I definately would like to see him start the year at Toledo. If he dominates that level and we have a lack of performance or injuires hit, I wouldn't be against seeing him at some point.

I don't see them being serious contenders this year as is, so I am not sure I want to see Porcello rushed. On the flip side, if he proves exceptionally capable in the minors again, I wouldn't be against bringing him up to replace an injured or undereperforming starter.

Bondomania
03-12-2009, 02:21 PM
No, Jackson is not the # 1.. Jackson got hit the other day and people seemed to look past it.. i mean he has been solid so far this spring. I think the #1 as of right now is Verlander. Jackson is the #4 starter.. it would put him in the best position to exceed because he wouldn't be looked upon to carry the staff and he would be put in better matchups pitching wise, meaning he wouldn't be asked to go up against other teams aces.

I think we could be competitive if things go right.. but things really have to go right for that to happen. I still think that Willis could be an effective number 5 starter. It isn't like we are asking him to be a #2 or #3 starter. We are looking for someone that can net us 10 to 12 wins and post a sub 5 ERA

pistons.fan.11
03-12-2009, 02:58 PM
Friendly reminder to everyone.....
It's still Spring Training. And early Spring Training at that.

In my opinion, it's too early too get too in depth in your observations....

dddtfan
03-13-2009, 10:28 AM
A question I'd like to pose is this, if a pitcher goes 12-6 and has 6 no decisions, is that a good season?

That means a pitcher has 2 good outings, one bad and one mediocre outing, or in other words, is good 50% of the time.

Sure you can argue that sometimes a pitcher gets a win when he pitched bad, but sometimes you get a loss when you pitch well....an extreme case of that would be that year Nolan Ryan went like 8-16 and still almost won the Cy Young.

If a pitcher gets rocked in one spring outing but has had 2 other good outings, that is still 66% successful, and I'd bet a Team winning percentage of .660 would make a lot of people here happy. Jackson, over the spring, his pulling his weight, and, it is only the spring.

Tragedy
03-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Does anyone else think Jackson should be our number 1 over Verlander? I don't
No way. He's a mediocre pitcher (who I still think can get better), and is not yet deserving of a number 1 spot.

Sheffies Chef
03-13-2009, 09:27 PM
I'll throw in my two cents.

First, on Porcello. I am actually starting to think he could have success at the Major League Level as soon as this year. Meaning, I would be fine with having him fly north with the team. Now obviously, I want him to go play in AA or even AAA, but his stuff is justifying his earning a rotation spot. Not just stats, but apparently he's had the best looking stuff this Spring, and last. Apparently, he's the best at throwing strikes right now, his sinker ball is a man of a pitch, his curve is decent, he's abandoned his slider, and his changeup is a Major League pitch. But the two pitches I've seen people raving about are the cheese, and that sinker... especially that sinker, being described as "nasty".

So all in all, I want Rick to get some more seasoning, and get ready to earn a spot next year, but his stuff may just be too good to not give him a spot in the rotation.

On Everett. Guys, come on, his fielding is amazing (per reputation. I mean, Renteria was supposed to be a decent fielding SS, and we all know how that turned out). So yes, it does justify his horrid batting. Especially seeing as we've got plenty of offense all ready. Remember last year, neglected defense for hitting. Yea, last place in the A.L. Central. Remember '06, great defensive team with not the most fabulous hitting. Yea, A.L. Champs. Think about it guys. I know this is cliched', but "offensive sells tickets, defense wins championships".

On Jackson real quick. I think right now, he's our 4th best pure starter behind Verlander, Bonderman, and Porcello. But I think he has the potential to be a very good pitcher for us. Ala, 15+ Wins, and a mid 3, to a mid 4 ERA. He's loaded with talent, but has some problems with control. But remember, Rick Knapp emphasizes control to the extreme.

So that's just my two cents.