PDA

View Full Version : What to do with excess Starters?

HCo HERO
03-10-2009, 12:07 AM
Derek Lowe
Javier Vazques
Jair Jurrgens
Kenshin kawakami
Tom Glavine
Tommy Hanson
Jo Jo Reyes
Jorge Campillo
Charlie Morton
Buddy Carlyle
James Parr
Anthony Lerew

Depth is something good to have, especially after last years injury plagued season but we have alot of depth. Shouldn't we trade some of these for some of the positional prospects that we lack in the organization while they still have some value.

side note: Jo Jo, Buddy, Hanson are all pitching to well for Glavine to make the team, he needs to be cut and save the money to get Ohman.

baseballman8388
03-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Post on MLBTR says that the Padres are looking to add pitching depth to the organization. We might could get some prospects for some of those guys.

Brawler47
03-10-2009, 02:21 AM
I always liked Glavine but I kinda wish that he would have retired at the end of last season so that this log-jam at starter wouldn't happen. All we need are 5-6 starters and then put the rest on the trade block, put whoever we don't trade in the pen and see how they work out as long relivers for set-up guys and our closer. BTW who is the Braves closer?

BravoFan3736
03-10-2009, 06:18 AM
I always liked Glavine but I kinda wish that he would have retired at the end of last season so that this log-jam at starter wouldn't happen. All we need are 5-6 starters and then put the rest on the trade block, put whoever we don't trade in the pen and see how they work out as long relivers for set-up guys and our closer. BTW who is the Braves closer?

That will be Gonzo, which he is now completely healthly with a full off season and in a walk year this year, I expect he will have a great year with 30+ sv.

Gonzo Closer
Soriano 8th
Moylan 7th
Boyer MR
Loogan/JoJo LOOGY
Acosta/Carlyle MR
Campillo/Bennett Long Relief

As for the pitching Depth that the braves have, They will probably hold on to most (Morton/JoJo/Parr/Medlen) unless we can get a high cieling prospects in return at 3B/MI/Power Bat OF but alot of teams could get despert at end of ST or first month of the season for a #4/#5 Starter to get some serious talent in return. With the recent Stockman injury and Lerew off the 40 man roster it does clear a path for guys in the pen which really we never can enough of since Soriano/Moylan still have questions to answer in being close down Setup man once again.

The one who has really step it up so far in ST is JoJo which I am really pleased to see and could earn a spot as the Loogy in the pen. His stock will increase greatly if he keeps his good work up and could ultimately be involved in trade that could net either a Power Bat sometime during the season. But he may be showing the FO a reason to not to trade him and keep him as the Lefty in the rotation in 10' with trading Vaz/KK/JJ for a LF Power Bat.

Rotation in 10'
Huddy
Lowe
Vaz/KK/JJ (One will be traded..Vaz/JJ/KK-Most unlikely unless he sucks in 09')
Hanson
KK/JJ/JoJo/Morton/Rohrbough

miltdawg01
03-10-2009, 12:39 PM
The Braves are simply not trading JJ at this point in his career. Vaz and KK would be far more of a possibility than JJ. FW is trying to build a long term rotation here with JJ, Hanson, JoJo/Morton, et al. You can bet JJ is a Brave at least through the end of the 2010 season, and probaby much longer than that.

BravoFan3736
03-10-2009, 01:28 PM
The Braves are simply not trading JJ at this point in his career. Vaz and KK would be far more of a possibility than JJ. FW is trying to build a long term rotation here with JJ, Hanson, JoJo/Morton, et al. You can bet JJ is a Brave at least through the end of the 2010 season, and probaby much longer than that.

The likely hood that JJ is trade is small but if the braves are blown away with an offer for a Young Power Bat than you may have to consider it. All I am saying that JJ would have a TON of value to other clubs that would be more willing to give up a HUGE bat in return. We have alot depth at SP with Rohrbough/Hanson/Morton/JoJo/Parr/Medlen/Locke that are just a step behind in making the club and would push to be in the mix in 10'. JJ has two + Pitches and needs to develop a 3rd + changeup pitch to get him to the next class of an top end pitcher. Again the chances the Braves dealing him are probably slim to none so than we are talking about either KK/Vaz which I do believe if the Braves do pick up Huddies Option in 10'(Which I think they will) than the odd man out would be Vaz. This opens a spot up for Hanson at#4 and #5 battler would be between Morton/JoJo/Parr/Medlen/Locke. Which that rotation could be the best in the NL from type to bottom.

We will see...

THE_FLASH_21
03-10-2009, 01:48 PM
Starting 5...

Lowe
Jav
JJ
KK
Glavy/Jo-Jo

We can have Mortn start at AAA....
Campillo and Buddy can be RP's....

The others can be traded or released.... But in a few months we will need to make more moves to bring up Hanson and Hudson.

ecyrb912
03-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Jojo will not be the loogy, hes too talented as a starter and has some head issues, and i dont know how happy he would be about coming in for one hitter every other night. if there is an early injury to the rotation this season he will probably get called up before hanson.

CrippledRam
03-10-2009, 02:26 PM
JJ and KK will not be traded...JJ is gold (a young controllable 1/2 pitcher) and KK is our first Japanese player. I think Vaz pitches like an ace this year and be traded for a nasty prospect.

'10:

Hudson
Lowe
JJ
Hanson
KK

'11
Hanson
Hudson
JJ
Lowe
Farm Guy (Jo-Jo/Redmond/Locke)

Thibs34
03-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Hudson can opt out at the end of the year and get a new contract. With the need to sign Chip, the idea of signing Huddy back seems unlikely with the depth we have at that position right now. It would be great to have him back but I see this fall being the last chance for him and Glavine with the Braves. Should Hanson and Jojo continue to impress, I could see us making a move to allow those two to be a part of our 2010 rotation. JMO

BravoFan3736
03-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Jojo will not be the loogy, hes too talented as a starter and has some head issues, and i dont know how happy he would be about coming in for one hitter every other night. if there is an early injury to the rotation this season he will probably get called up before hanson.

How you know that? If this the only way JoJo can make the club and be the most effective LOOGY on the team than why wouldn't you? This will just add to his trade value to be versatile for another team via trade to fill the farm with MI prospects/Closer Type BP Arm. He has NOTHING to prove at AAA but so far he shown that he can pitch very effectively and be able to do that out of the pen would be a bonus situation for the Braves. I rather have a JoJo in pen adding value to him and not just pitching at AAA....

Make more sense for him to make the club in Pen if he shows that he is the best LOOGY on the team. Either he will just rot in AAA till someone is either ineffective or injuried in order to get into the rotation. This will do nothing for his trade value and would rather have him be show cased for despert teams looking for #4/#5 starter late ST or early May for talent in return.

We will see..

ecyrb912
03-10-2009, 09:06 PM
How you know that? If this the only way JoJo can make the club and be the most effective LOOGY on the team than why wouldn't you? This will just add to his trade value to be versatile for another team via trade to fill the farm with MI prospects/Closer Type BP Arm. He has NOTHING to prove at AAA but so far he shown that he can pitch very effectively and be able to do that out of the pen would be a bonus situation for the Braves. I rather have a JoJo in pen adding value to him and not just pitching at AAA....

Make more sense for him to make the club in Pen if he shows that he is the best LOOGY on the team. Either he will just rot in AAA till someone is either ineffective or injuried in order to get into the rotation. This will do nothing for his trade value and would rather have him be show cased for despert teams looking for #4/#5 starter late ST or early May for talent in return.

We will see..

exactly, looking for a starter. im sure other teams' scouts would rather watch him start at AAA then see him throw to one batter every other night. him being the loogy diminishes his trade value, if a pitcher is put in the bullpen, it usually means after hes been through the lineup once or twice theyve figured him out; this isnt the case with reyes. and do you think morton and schafer will "rot" in AAA this year also? just because has had success there doesnt mean they cant improve.

and if hes the loogy, then what was the point in trading for boone logan and signing eric o'flahrety? theyre actually relief pitchers at least.

from what hes done in ST so far, reyes will be the first pitcher called up to make a spot start. if he sits in the bullpen and doesnt throw regularly, his skills will erode. at least if he stays in a rotation his command and arm strength will be on point.

ATLBravesfan
03-10-2009, 10:14 PM
The Braves will not trade jojo or jurrjens. Why would they when Frank tried so hard to add starting pitching for this season? Why would he put himself in position for the same situation as last season? He will not trade for a YOUNG power hitting out fielder with the way Heyward is hitting, it won't be very long before he makes the majors, and with Freeman on Heywards heels. He might trade for a power hitter, but not one with a long term contract. The braves are building for the future, and the Braves have proven starting pitching will be the base. So again, why would the braves trade Jurrjens when he was the first piece he put in place and was a success? Saying jojo would be better off as a Loogy makes no sense and there is no point in me repeating what the others pointed out.

lavell12
03-10-2009, 11:18 PM
Jurrjens isn't going anywhere, Reyes is another question. I believe there is a good chance Jo Jo will be traded or placed in the pen. If/when an injury occurs Hanson and Campillo will be more than able to fill that spot. Morton is also there and may have trade value also once he is healthy.

MrJones
03-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Jo-Jo is a guy who (like Frenchy) wears his feelings on his sleeve. I think his weight loss is something that has helped out his confidence more than anybody really mentions.

AVG G AB R H TB 2B
------ ------ -- --- - -- -- -- ---
.667 4 3 2 2 3 1

He's an excellent hitting pitcher...

W L S ERA G GS CG SHO IP H R ER
------
2 0 0 2.08 4 3 0 0 13.0 9 3 3

and those are good numbers so far this spring.

I haven't always been a Jo-Jo supporter... but I think if we hang onto him he'll be a fine 3-4 for us for a years to come.

rtgthree
03-12-2009, 08:15 PM
What should we do with our pitching depth? Keep it. Keep ALL of it.

Given the Braves' position, with an already stacked farm system and a real urgency to win now, there's no reason to be trading for marginal prospects, and anyone good enough to have real trade value...well, we are best to keep them around, after last season's debacle.

The only guy that needs to go is Tom Glavine, who should be released before he has a chance to get on the roster. We'll pay you a $1 million thank-you gift, and you will kindly get out of our way.

ATLBravesfan
03-12-2009, 11:39 PM
It don't seem likely that Glavine will be ready for the beginning of the season anyhow. He keeps complaining of shoulder pain and lack of strength in this throwing arm. I believe the biggest reason the Braves signed him to a contract was to continue helping jojo and some of the other young pitchers. It never hurts to keep veteran pitching around.

BravoFan3736
03-13-2009, 08:13 AM
What should we do with our pitching depth? Keep it. Keep ALL of it.

Given the Braves' position, with an already stacked farm system and a real urgency to win now, there's no reason to be trading for marginal prospects, and anyone good enough to have real trade value...well, we are best to keep them around, after last season's debacle.

The only guy that needs to go is Tom Glavine, who should be released before he has a chance to get on the roster. We'll pay you a $1 million thank-you gift, and you will kindly get out of our way.

:clap: I think glavine will be done before the allstar break but hoping that FW gives him the axe when he doesn't make the roster on opening day and give him the 1 Mil retirment bonus and let him walk. We didn't 1/2 assed smoltz and we shouldn't do it with glavine. This whole thing has been a PR issue and FW needs to have the tough love approach with the betterment of the team as the guide for this decisions.
Abreu would been a great pick up with moneys that we could atleast offered. Though reality said that we just didn't have the money to get him with the incentives + base that where offered by the Angels. G Anderson will be serviceable assuming he is healthy for what we will get in production versus the money dulled out this year.
I still think that we will have to contend in dealing Frenchy in 10' + SP JoJo/Morton/Parr/Medlen/Rohrbough for OF PowerBat/3B-MI Prospects but again I just don't know if the Braves will be willing to hold on to him at 4Mil+ in 10' with another sub par season in 09' and than let him walk in '11. And letting Heyward be the RF on opening day in 10' though I hope that Frenchy has a decent year in 09' for his trade value to be something worth while in order get some talent in return from other teams.

Overall, I think the braves will deal one of the SP in AAA since we may get a ransom from a teams that will be really despert for a #4/#5 SP in April/May. If we can Fleece some talent away in return I have problem sending (Morton/JoJo/Parr/Medlen/Rohrbough for a PowerBat. But who knows what FW will decide to do and just may keep them to develop till the right trade offer is on teh table.

We will see....