PDA

View Full Version : Derek Fisher talks about the Celtics defense and says it wasn't Overly Physical

JordansBulls
03-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Source: SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/03/06/weekly.countdown/2.html)

1. On the Celtics' defensive style. "It looks physical, and obviously it's a physical game. But playing Detroit in [the 2004 Finals] was physically challenging. In 2001 against the Sixers, even though we won the series 4-1, they played a physical, tough, defensive brand of basketball with Eric Snow and Tyrone Hill and those guys. The Celtics had an energy and an air about them that they were physical, but it wasn't overly physical, it wasn't like you couldn't handle it. I just think they had an ability to sustain it in ways that arguably the league hasn't seen since '04, since that good Pistons team.''

Hawkeye15
03-09-2009, 04:35 PM
Gasol and Odom grew a mangina. That was the problem.

JJ81
03-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Shouldn't this be in the Laker/Boston forum?

plpfctn
03-09-2009, 04:38 PM
The Cavs and Atlanta Hawks agree with Fisher.

IDB Josh M
03-09-2009, 04:44 PM

Which is sad considering they handled a tough Utah team IN utah, and Timmy's Spurs. Although Ginobli's injury had a huge impact with the Spurs.

Trying not to be biased, I'm not taking anything away from the Celtics (the Big three held Kobe down effectively and perkins and KG had their way inside). But it is quite shocking that the Odom and Gasol pussied out after toughing out the Western Conference.

J4KOP99
03-09-2009, 04:51 PM
The 2004 Pistons were a far better defensive team. It was painful as a Laker fan to watch us play the Pistons in the finals.

Yes the celtics beat the lakers last year but they had many chances to win games and fell short. In 2004 the Lakers were flat-out dominated.

Hawkeye15
03-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Which is sad considering they handled a tough Utah team IN utah, and Timmy's Spurs. Although Ginobli's injury had a huge impact with the Spurs.

Trying not to be biased, I'm not taking anything away from the Celtics (the Big three held Kobe down effectively and perkins and KG had their way inside). But it is quite shocking that the Odom and Gasol pussied out after toughing out the Western Conference.

Well, Perkins and Powe are tougher than San Antonio and Detroits bigs, but yeah, they really just folded. And Ray Allen woke up big time. The Celtics had more to do with it than most Laker fans want to admit

IDB Josh M
03-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Well, Perkins and Powe are tougher than San Antonio and Detroits bigs, but yeah, they really just folded. And Ray Allen woke up big time. The Celtics had more to do with it than most Laker fans want to admit

Shoot, I'll admit it. I just wished they matched their intensity.

Hawkeye15
03-09-2009, 04:58 PM
The 2004 Pistons were a far better defensive team. It was painful as a Laker fan to watch us play the Pistons in the finals.

Yes the celtics beat the lakers last year but they had many chances to win games and fell short. In 2004 the Lakers were flat-out dominated.

yeah, the Pistons were just a matchup nightmare for the Lakers. I actually thought Minnesota had a better chance against Detroit.

berserker74
03-09-2009, 05:09 PM

no, the problem was the celtics took kobe out of the game, which was their gameplan from the start.

it's easy to sit here and talk about not being physical a year after the fact, but anyone that watched the finals, like i did, saw the celtics beat up on the lakers and they couldn't do anything about it. they had no answer at all for pierce and the celtics had all the answers for the lakers.

if you listen to any laker or laker fan from last season, every single response just sounds like sour grapes. to bad lakers. the celtics owned you and the championship. get over it and concentrate on this season!

Chronz
03-09-2009, 06:08 PM
Lakers lost to a superior team and as a result players are labeled soft while the winners are labeled tougher. Maybe mentally but you cant blame Pau for the loss, he was great. KG didnt do jack the whole series with Pau on him, and Pau was efficient with the limited touches he got. Odom was the only guy you could say really let the physicality get to him, but thats because he was going up against a center.

bbd24
03-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Its called team defense. Shoot, despite the Pistons, the entire NBA hasn't seen it since the 80's.

The Lakers, Cavs, and Hawks all saw what it takes to get a title. Now whether or not they can implicate that in a 7 games series is another story.

leftymo
03-09-2009, 06:30 PM
The Lakers may have been soft, who knows. But one thing is for sure. They got to the finals one year ahead of schedule. Their youth and inexperience was glaringly apparent.

This year they are on schedule, and prepared. Here's a difference that's somewhat meaningful in the regular season. Lakers against Cleveland & Boston last year. 0-4.

Lakers against Cleveland & Boston this year. 4-0.

Lakersfan2483
03-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Source: SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/03/06/weekly.countdown/2.html)

Both Boston and Detroit (2004) played a physical brand of basketball and presented major problems for the lakers. However, I think that 2004 Detroit Pistons' team was one of the best defensive teams in the modern era, they completely controlled games with their imposing defense and had the personnel to matchup against any team..... Also, Larry Brown's coaching was sheer genius that season, you can't underestimate what he meant to that team defensively. As far as the Celtics, they have 3 big time players that can get it done in crunch time on both offense and defense which helped them win a title.

Hawkeye15
03-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Lakers lost to a superior team and as a result players are labeled soft while the winners are labeled tougher. Maybe mentally but you cant blame Pau for the loss, he was great. KG didnt do jack the whole series with Pau on him, and Pau was efficient with the limited touches he got. Odom was the only guy you could say really let the physicality get to him, but thats because he was going up against a center.

KG went for 20-10 for the series (better than regular season), and in game 6, 26/14. I would say that's better than jack. And Pau getting shut down had a lot to do with KG. Odom checked out, true. But the 3 Boston vets wanted it way more. They played harder, and with more emotion.

Chronz
03-09-2009, 06:48 PM
KG went for 20-10 for the series (better than regular season), and in game 6, 26/14. I would say that's better than jack. And Pau getting shut down had a lot to do with KG. Odom checked out, true. But the 3 Boston vets wanted it way more. They played harder, and with more emotion.

Shooting%? Definitely not better than regular season KG.

Pau did a better job on KG than KG did on Pau. The main difference was Pau didnt get many touches. He wasnt as bad as people make it out to be. The Boston 3 were better players, its not that hard really. Its not that Pau didnt want it if thats what your trying to get at.

Faneik
03-09-2009, 06:51 PM
lol

Faneik
03-09-2009, 06:53 PM

Pau did a better job on KG than, KG did on Pau. The main difference was Pau didnt get many touches. He wasnt as bad as people make it out to be.

I'd like to thank Kobe for forcing shots in the 4th, not trusting his teammates and try to win it by himself.

Thanks Kobe.

Rocco007
03-09-2009, 07:07 PM
I agree with DFish..
Boston was quick, collective and suffocating as a defense. Thats not necessarily physical. They're not banging you down when you drive like Detroit might've done..But still, you must be tough mentally and physically to forge thru that pressure because it wears you out.

Chronz
03-09-2009, 07:22 PM
I'd like to thank Kobe for forcing shots in the 4th, not trusting his teammates and try to win it by himself.

Thanks Kobe.

I just checked, KG didnt average 20-10 he shot 42% scoring 18PPG. Pau only averaged 14 but shot 53%, got to the line more, turned it over less, and tallied more assists. KG still outplayed him because of his work on the offensive glass and his defensive help but he wasnt out of this world, the reason the Lakers lost wasnt because Pau grew a "mangina" it was because the Lakers had Pau and Kobe, while the Celtics had the BIG3+Rondo the Odom vs Perk matchup + their bench played better.

Kobe did what he had to, he probably couldve played better but all things considered he was still the 2nd best player in the series. It wasnt a matter of heart or physicality, it was a matter of cohesion and trust. The Lakers were thrown together and gelled instantly, they crushed the Western conference. Problem was that the Celtics gelled instantly as well, only they got to be together for a full season.

If the Lakers were to win, Odom had to play alot better on both ends, which in turn wouldve helped Kobes game.

magichatnumber9
03-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Playing that kind of D is almost impossible with the way officials are calling games today. Playing D pays a toll on you physically, and if your not rewarded for it you tend not to do it.

kb24ap28
03-09-2009, 08:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQaVvf2VOsc

watch this video. yes it was physical defense, but it was all illegal physical defense.

Chronz
03-09-2009, 08:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQaVvf2VOsc

watch this video. yes it was physical defense, but it was all illegal physical defense.

Alborz is that you?

G-Funk
03-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Chronz amd Hawkeyes15 have very good points but I agree with Chronz a bit more, I also thought that LO playing Perkins was not good for the Lakers...

Knowledge
03-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Both Boston and Detroit (2004) played a physical brand of basketball and presented major problems for the lakers. However, I think that 2004 Detroit Pistons' team was one of the best defensive teams in the modern era, they completely controlled games with their imposing defense and had the personnel to matchup against any team..... Also, Larry Brown's coaching was sheer genius that season, you can't underestimate what he meant to that team defensively. As far as the Celtics, they have 3 big time players that can get it done in crunch time on both offense and defense which helped them win a title.

i think they are right. 04 Pistons were just too much with the Defensive MVP version of Ben Wallace and Rasheed Wallace as anchors it was just a stout dominant d.

JordansBulls
03-09-2009, 10:03 PM

Pau did a better job on KG than KG did on Pau. The main difference was Pau didnt get many touches. He wasnt as bad as people make it out to be. The Boston 3 were better players, its not that hard really. Its not that Pau didnt want it if thats what your trying to get at.

:nod:

This was how the top 3 for the Lakers did in the finals.

Gasol: 14.7/10.2/3.3/0.5/0.5, 53.2%/64.7%, 2.2 TO; EFF: 20.2
Kobe: 25.7/4.7/5/2.7/0.2, 40.5%/79.6%, 3.8 TO; EFF: 19.7
Odom: 13.5/9/3/0.3/1, 51.7%/64.3%, 2.7 TO; EFF: 17.7

Gasol did a whole lot better than people give him credit for.

missionh1llpart
03-09-2009, 10:12 PM
the celtics won. end thread.

Frrrrank!!!
03-10-2009, 10:35 AM
I think maybe the reason people say Gasol pussied out is because he wasn't as aggresive in that series. Now if he played like he did in the two games against the Celtics this season who knows what would of happened.

LakerzDQ
03-10-2009, 10:41 AM
well, the celtics didn't really need to play physical with Fisher did they? from what I've seen, they focused their defense on Pau and Kobe. Fisher is just a spot up shooter, of course they're not gonna be physical with him...

hotdogbun
03-10-2009, 10:50 AM
i dont get why people always say this team won cuz they wanted it more? it isnt always like that teams win mostly because of talent. LOL even if the thunder wanted it way more than the celtics they still would lose.

jayl1377
03-10-2009, 11:26 AM
lakers *****ed out as usual

GspLAL
03-10-2009, 03:02 PM

Exactly, LO didn't understand that their centers can't match his speed and skills, whatever, it was a mental break down.

S.J.Basketball
03-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Wow greatest34. Your posts are so insightful and thought provoking. Tell me more.

Frrrrank!!!
03-10-2009, 06:38 PM
:laugh2: greatest guy coming back 34 times.

bostncelts34
03-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Didnt Kobe say it was physical and the celtics played more physical?

Chronz
03-10-2009, 11:16 PM
I think maybe the reason people say Gasol pussied out is because he wasn't as aggresive in that series. Now if he played like he did in the two games against the Celtics this season who knows what would of happened.
Those people are ********, he had a few games where he looked bad and it affected him but KG had some games where he looked downright awful. Should we call KG a ***** for taking nothing but jumpers despite going something like 4-16 from midrange? Or does the fact that KG had better support make him less of a pansy?

Gasol took what the defense gave him and reacted to the limited touches he got. Its hard to be agressive when you dont have the ball. Pau took very little jumpers, he made a concentrated effort to get inside shots. I only imagine how bad the Lakers wouldve lost if he had taken nothing but jumpers like KG and how much people wouldve ripped him then.

Chronz
03-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Exactly, LO didn't understand that their centers can't match his speed and skills, whatever, it was a mental break down.
He kept trying to take it inside and when the opposing team has no respect for your jumper its hard to put that quickness to use. The only guy who was consistently hitting their jumper was Farmar, how come nobody talks about how bad Fisher and Sasha played they were invisible, but no blame the guy who actually showed up.

well, the celtics didn't really need to play physical with Fisher did they? from what I've seen, they focused their defense on Pau and Kobe. Fisher is just a spot up shooter, of course they're not gonna be physical with him...

So true

Frrrrank!!!
03-10-2009, 11:23 PM
Those people are ********, he had a few games where he looked bad and it affected him but KG had some games where he looked downright awful. Should we call KG a ***** for taking nothing but jumpers despite going something like 4-16 from midrange? Or does the fact that KG had better support make him less of a pansy?

Gasol took what the defense gave him and reacted to the limited touches he got. Its hard to be agressive when you dont have the ball. Pau took very little jumpers, he made a concentrated effort to get inside shots. I only imagine how bad the Lakers wouldve lost if he had taken nothing but jumpers like KG and how much people wouldve ripped him then.

Just trying to give a reason.:shrug:

Chronz
03-10-2009, 11:29 PM
I know, Im just speaking to those who think he was a pansy because he took smart shots.

JordansBulls
03-10-2009, 11:49 PM
Didnt Kobe say it was physical and the celtics played more physical?

He said they were tougher.