PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Jennings helps opposing team score 100 points

oldenpolynice
03-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Not sure if he was trying to win them all chalupas or if he just flat out doesn't care about winning as much as he should. But the crap he pulled in Italy (see video) would never stand in the NBA.

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2009/03/09/does-brandon-jennings-lack-competitiveness/

Makes me wonder if this kid is competitive enough to merit a Top 5 pick.

pete_one
03-09-2009, 03:24 PM
the kid should've gone to college. whats wrong with college? he's going to get financial aid anyways, or maybe he just doesnt want to go to school. no heart..

superkegger
03-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Meh, kind of inconclusive from the video what was going on to me. Cook and Jennings both fouled eachother and looked like they were kinda going after eachother. Cook didn't even hit either of the FT's. Don't think its that big of a deal.

superkegger
03-09-2009, 03:26 PM
the kid should've gone to college. whats wrong with college? he's going to get financial aid anyways, or maybe he just doesnt want to go to school. no heart..

or he couldn't get in to college cause he didn't have the test scores.

S.J.Basketball
03-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Didn't look all that bad and they're making a mountain out of a mole hill.

stop40
03-09-2009, 03:29 PM
That does not look like an intentional foul to me.

Chest Rockwell
03-09-2009, 03:29 PM
A better question is why is Chris Farley a category among all those NBA ones on the right side? lol

SteveNash
03-09-2009, 03:36 PM
That was a playoff game too.

Jennings didn't find the right fit, but I don't think his decison was completely terrible. I'm sure he was disconnected with the Euroleague like some of the international players coming over here.

Oh and he did stop the other team from scoring 100.

Hellcrooner
03-09-2009, 03:45 PM
^he is having a hard time because he is playiing amongst and against seasoned veterans that have much more developed skills than the average ncaa starter.

When he goes into the league he will have much more experience and will be more nba ready than the kids that spent the same time in Ncaa.

king4day
03-09-2009, 03:52 PM
They both clearly did the fouls to help the one team get over 100. That didn't happen from what we saw. I don't agree with bumping team stats like that but the game was already decided, so to say he has no heart... I don't get it.

SteveNash
03-09-2009, 04:04 PM
^he is having a hard time because he is playiing amongst and against seasoned veterans that have much more developed skills than the average ncaa starter.

When he goes into the league he will have much more experience and will be more nba ready than the kids that spent the same time in Ncaa.

It's just a shame the NBA prevented him from doing what he wanted to do. The NCAA prevented him from doing what he wanted to do. Going overseas was his third option. It didn't fit him. Jennings can certainly play, but he can't be great when he doesn't get minutes. And if they were going to play him why would they give up almost $2 million for him?

Hellcrooner
03-09-2009, 04:09 PM
^he must understand he is a youngster, had he leaped directly to the nba prabably we would have another Dajuan Wagner in stock.

Nab teams dont have the time to develop younger players, in europe they care for it, he may not be playing much but he is practicing MORE since there are more practices and less games and he is being teached good fundamentals, it will be good for him.

superkegger
03-09-2009, 04:12 PM
^he must understand he is a youngster, had he leaped directly to the nba prabably we would have another Dajuan Wagner in stock.

Nab teams dont have the time to develop younger players, in europe they care for it, he may not be playing much but he is practicing MORE since there are more practices and less games and he is being teached good fundamentals, it will be good for him.

It still doesn't make sense for a euro team to sign him though. It was pretty much a foregone conclusion he'd be there for a year. Are they so desperate to teach someone fundamentals in practice and not give him a lot of time in games that they'd pay him a couple million?

what54!?
should have went to college. He would have been better showcased....

BenFrank
or he couldn't get in to college cause he didn't have the test scores.

He was Committed to Arizona, I think the just wanted to get paid

AFlagRules
03-09-2009, 04:17 PM

I agree with that.

oldenpolynice
03-09-2009, 04:20 PM
It still doesn't make sense for a euro team to sign him though. It was pretty much a foregone conclusion he'd be there for a year. Are they so desperate to teach someone fundamentals in practice and not give him a lot of time in games that they'd pay him a couple million?

Makes sense from a press and marketing standpoint. Here we are talking about Italian League basketball. No one was talking about it a year ago.

SteveNash
03-09-2009, 04:22 PM

What's the comparison to Dajuan Wagner? Wagner had health problems and wasn't nearly as good as Jennings is now.

All I'm saying is it wasn't the right fit, he needed more playing time. Why pay him $2m for a wasted season?

Jacob K.
03-09-2009, 04:23 PM
i agree with that.

+1

superkegger

Maybe to a point, but elgibility issues were definetly a concern. Read this (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/basketball/2008-06-23-jennings-europe_N.htm), and while him wanting to get paid was probably part of it, I think if he had passed the SAT the first time no problem, he'd be at Arizona right now.

The1ronHorse
I still think he is nasty and has a lot of great potential. I see why he would go overseas so he could already make money, but as someone mentioned he would have been better showcased in College, much like Blake Griffin and even Tyler Hansbrough, Hansbrough wouldn't get drafted if not for college and even though he won't be a good NBA player he will still get paid in his rookie year. The truth is Jennings would have made more money by staying, but he is a kid and he wants to get paid now, I have to admit I would think about it if I had that much talent and was offered that.

superkegger
03-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Makes sense from a press and marketing standpoint. Here we are talking about Italian League basketball. No one was talking about it a year ago.

true, but they HC's argument doesn't stand up. It was almost purely a marketing move, since he'll only be there 1 year.

Crazy Crab
03-09-2009, 04:25 PM
"Jennings' said that he didn't have the SAT scores necessary to be admitted to Arizona. Without Arizona as an option and with the NBA's 19 year/plus one rule preventing him from entering the NBA Draft until 2009, Jennings turned to Europe."

http://www.fanhouse.com/tag/BrandonJennings/

oldenpolynice
03-09-2009, 04:28 PM
I still think he is nasty and has a lot of great potential. I see why he would go overseas so he could already make money, but as someone mentioned he would have been better showcased in College, much like Blake Griffin and even Tyler Hansbrough, Hansbrough wouldn't get drafted if not for college and even though he won't be a good NBA player he will still get paid in his rookie year. The truth is Jennings would have made more money by staying, but he is a kid and he wants to get paid now, I have to admit I would think about it if I had that much talent and was offered that.

I agree with that part at the end. Jennings gets paid now AND his stock hasn't dropped much in the draft. He's still projected as a Top 5 pick. Playing in Europe hasn't really hurt him that much.

JIDsanity
03-09-2009, 04:51 PM
People like to blow everything out of proportion

FarOutIos
03-09-2009, 04:59 PM
I love all the posts who know nothing about Jennings situation. Please, people, know what is going on before you post. Don't say he should have gone to college... that makes you look like YOU should have gone to college.

1) Jennings situation forced him to go overseas. His other option would be to delay his entry into the NBA. Thus, while it was not really a forced option, it is one he decided upon.

2) The provided video does not show anything wrong. He misses free throws (not a good sign) and fouls while going for a steal.

3) He probably does not care much if his team loses. Part of this is immaturity. Part of this is also that he is a one-year rookie on an italian team. He probably isn't welcomed much by the opposing players and even if he is, he has a difficult time communicating and relating to the other players. Also, he FEELS as if he is not given a fair chance for big minutes on the team. His biggest complaint is his role on the team- in his mind, he deserves to get more floor time.

4) He is joking around with a fellow american player. Wouldn't it make sense that since he has little in common with his teammates that he will make friendly conversation with the other players who he CAN relate to. I would GUARANTEE that most of you would behave the same. For those of you who have been overseas, how do YOU react when you meet someone from back home?...

So while I don't agree with the thread, or the comments on the video page, I will say that Jennings maturity is a question. His year overseas COULD help him learn and grow. At this point, it doesn't look like it has had much effect, but we will see when he gets back and puts it all into perspective.

oldenpolynice
03-09-2009, 05:08 PM
I love all the posts who know nothing about Jennings situation. Please, people, know what is going on before you post. Don't say he should have gone to college... that makes you look like YOU should have gone to college.

1) Jennings situation forced him to go overseas. His other option would be to delay his entry into the NBA. Thus, while it was not really a forced option, it is one he decided upon.

2) The provided video does not show anything wrong. He misses free throws (not a good sign) and fouls while going for a steal.

3) He probably does not care much if his team loses. Part of this is immaturity. Part of this is also that he is a one-year rookie on an italian team. He probably isn't welcomed much by the opposing players and even if he is, he has a difficult time communicating and relating to the other players. Also, he FEELS as if he is not given a fair chance for big minutes on the team. His biggest complaint is his role on the team- in his mind, he deserves to get more floor time.

4) He is joking around with a fellow american player. Wouldn't it make sense that since he has little in common with his teammates that he will make friendly conversation with the other players who he CAN relate to. I would GUARANTEE that most of you would behave the same. For those of you who have been overseas, how do YOU react when you meet someone from back home?...

So while I don't agree with the thread, or the comments on the video page, I will say that Jennings maturity is a question. His year overseas COULD help him learn and grow. At this point, it doesn't look like it has had much effect, but we will see when he gets back and puts it all into perspective.

Your point is well-taken, but I still can't see LeBron or Kobe or any other elite-level NBA player doing the same if they were in Jennings' shoes. Elite players don't try to fit in, they try to excel. Doesn't look like Jennings is taking that approach.

chicagowhitesox
03-09-2009, 05:50 PM
yeah that's kinda scary, but i don't think he was a top 5 pick to begin with. he could have been if he went to 'zona imo.

oldenpolynice
03-09-2009, 05:57 PM
yeah that's kinda scary, but i don't think he was a top 5 pick to begin with. he could have been if he went to 'zona imo.

He's rated as a Top 5 pick right now actually.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2009mock_draft

celticfan
03-09-2009, 05:59 PM
He was going ot go to arizona but didnt have the test scores

elnino9
03-09-2009, 08:08 PM
its just a shame that he couldnt go into the draft right after high school. i believe his one year over there is a waste of time. but he really didnt have another choice. its not going to do him any good. i think that its a mistake to restrict high schoold players from entering the draft because the one year they spend in between high school and the NBA is escentially a showcase of their talents and doesnt help much IMO.

if they can get on a NBA team, why not let them take that opportunity?? :shrug:

HoLLyWooD PLK
03-09-2009, 08:30 PM
what are you kidding me ?, the broadcaster explained it wonderfully

arlubas
03-09-2009, 08:35 PM
What's the comparison to Dajuan Wagner? Wagner had health problems and wasn't nearly as good as Jennings is now.

All I'm saying is it wasn't the right fit, he needed more playing time. Why pay him $2m for a wasted season?
Wagner wasn't as good in college as Jennings is now? Seriously where do you get these conclusions from? Wagner was a monster scorer back in HS and was also one of the best SGs in the country while playing for Memphis. He was considered by quite a lot NBA scouts as a sure thing for the next level. Jennings hasn't really shown anything that shouldn't put him in the same sentence as "future bust". The kid can play but his lack of size, a consistent J and his obvious lack of giving a funk in general could very well lead him back to Europe in a few years time just like so many other great HS/NCAA PGs have done before him like Khalid El-Amin, Tyus Edney and others.

rickyk13
03-09-2009, 08:52 PM
why was the other player fouling him on the inbounds in a 30 point game?
it looks he did it because of that

JabberJaw
03-09-2009, 08:59 PM
I was thinking it was going to be something aggregious. That was stupid. They both fouled each other, and neither hit a free throw. It was a blowout. Nothing really at all to be honest.

homestarunner93
03-09-2009, 09:07 PM
I wouldn't draft him just because he's obviously stupid. Seriously, he couldn't get into ARIZONA? Their average SAT scores:

SAT Critical Reading: 480-600
SAT Math: 500-620

I had a 590 in Critical Reading and a 600 in Math this year...as a sophomore. Obviously his IQ isn't too high...

HoLLyWooD PLK
03-09-2009, 09:18 PM
why was the other player fouling him on the inbounds in a 30 point game?
it looks he did it because of that

there team never scored in triple digits, he was tryin to get his team into the hundreds

are any of you listening to what they are saying ?

oldenpolynice
03-09-2009, 10:31 PM
I was thinking it was going to be something aggregious. That was stupid. They both fouled each other, and neither hit a free throw. It was a blowout. Nothing really at all to be honest.

I can see how you might think it was just tough defensive pressure, but if it was, wouldn't Jennings have a different reaction while Cook went to the free throw line? If he was playing hard-nosed defense and trying to prove something in the final seconds, why would he be laughing like that? IMO, it was obviously an intentional foul.

AirJordanXVIII
03-09-2009, 10:33 PM
Let him drop to the Sixers.

Julio Zuleta
03-09-2009, 10:47 PM
arizona would be a number one seed with brandon jennings

JayW_1023
03-10-2009, 09:24 AM
I see it alot in Euro league that American players associate with one another more. Even on opposing teams.

ottograham14
03-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Dont think too much of Jennings. Good player I think just not bright, think he will turn out to be another Telfair.

hotdogbun
03-10-2009, 01:35 PM
he made that foul cuz his pissed not cuz he wants them to score 100

elnino9
03-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Let him drop to the Sixers.

seriously, i would be SOOOO happy :pray:

oldenpolynice
03-10-2009, 02:24 PM
he made that foul cuz his pissed not cuz he wants them to score 100

If he was so pissed, why was he laughing about it afterwards?

WSU Tony
03-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm more curious as to why the guy shooting the free throws missed the 2nd one on purpose.

The kid is like 19 and he's about to get some 3-4 M dollar payday in a few months, I don't see the problem with him going for a steal late in the game.

DreamShaker
03-10-2009, 02:46 PM
I agree with that part at the end. Jennings gets paid now AND his stock hasn't dropped much in the draft. He's still projected as a Top 5 pick. Playing in Europe hasn't really hurt him that much.

Plus he's a millionaire.

DreamShaker
03-10-2009, 02:49 PM

Plus he's a millionaire already. I respect him for what he did to a degree...because he was the first to do something like this....it's always hard to be the first....

dgreat5000
03-10-2009, 02:52 PM

He received a full scholarship to Arizona, but his test scores weren't good enough to merit the scholarship...

SteveNash
03-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Wagner wasn't as good in college as Jennings is now? Seriously where do you get these conclusions from? Wagner was a monster scorer back in HS and was also one of the best SGs in the country while playing for Memphis. He was considered by quite a lot NBA scouts as a sure thing for the next level. Jennings hasn't really shown anything that shouldn't put him in the same sentence as "future bust". The kid can play but his lack of size, a consistent J and his obvious lack of giving a funk in general could very well lead him back to Europe in a few years time just like so many other great HS/NCAA PGs have done before him like Khalid El-Amin, Tyus Edney and others.

As an NBA prospect Wagner was not as good as Jennings now. And lets just hold off on the hype. HS numbers are hard to judge by because of the variation in competition and it's not like Wagner was that phenominal his 1 year at Memphis.

A 6'2" low efficient 19 year old scoring guard is never ever a sure thing in the NBA.

Brandon Jennings is the better prospect because he has much more PG skills than Wagner ever had something 6'1/6'2 guys need to be able to do in the NBA.

oldenpolynice
03-10-2009, 05:10 PM
As an NBA prospect Wagner was not as good as Jennings now. And lets just hold off on the hype. HS numbers are hard to judge by because of the variation in competition and it's not like Wagner was that phenominal his 1 year at Memphis.

A 6'2" low efficient 19 year old scoring guard is never ever a sure thing in the NBA.

Brandon Jennings is the better prospect because he has much more PG skills than Wagner ever had something 6'1/6'2 guys need to be able to do in the NBA.

Amen, brother.

MGB
03-10-2009, 05:24 PM
um... it's not even definitive what really happened, and the score looked like it said 99-64 at the time... so who freaking cares?

Sportfan
03-10-2009, 06:12 PM
that wasnt really an intentional to me

Lowstrings
03-10-2009, 07:53 PM

I completely agree. It was either go to college and get paid later, or get paid now then get paid again when he enters the NBA. I'm not judging his heart and commitment though. Kid might have had financial problems or something. Bad test scores didn't help his cause either.

jim51990
03-10-2009, 08:26 PM
i am sure he will not be a top lottery pick let alone a top five
whoever wrote this is an idiot mock draft (http://www.nbadraft.net/2009mock_draft)
yea the thunder are gunna waste a top five pick on a pg when they have russel westbrook who is already better then jennings will ever be

Lindystud36
03-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Kids Smart

Make 2 million, have soe fun, and no stress of sitting threw college classes
He actually probably learned more about international business than a freshman would in college
I am sure if he drops in the draft, a team like the Heat would love to take him

sacgiants1213
03-10-2009, 08:52 PM
He'll fit right in with the kings.

oldenpolynice
03-10-2009, 09:11 PM
He'll fit right in with the kings.

Aw man. Don't say that. I'm depressed enough as it is.

SteveNash
03-10-2009, 09:22 PM
i am sure he will not be a top lottery pick let alone a top five
whoever wrote this is an idiot mock draft (http://www.nbadraft.net/2009mock_draft)
yea the thunder are gunna waste a top five pick on a pg when they have russel westbrook who is already better then jennings will ever be

Most draft sites just list the best player available until after the NBA lottery.

koreancabbage
03-10-2009, 09:52 PM
http://www.draftexpress.com/

has Jennings as a top 5 pick. have you even seen his highlights

he's a PG with tons of potential

I think the Thunder will pick up a PF in Jordan Hill or Thabeet. pretty solid players to go with Durant, Green, Westbrook. You'll eventually get good young players if you suck for a long time. i.e. Portland

thrilla11
03-11-2009, 04:13 PM
didnt look intentional to me

thesparky33
03-11-2009, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't draft him just because he's obviously stupid. Seriously, he couldn't get into ARIZONA? Their average SAT scores:

SAT Critical Reading: 480-600
SAT Math: 500-620

I had a 590 in Critical Reading and a 600 in Math this year...as a sophomore. Obviously his IQ isn't too high...

So just because he doesnt have academic smarts means that he wont be a good basketball player?

Kevin Garnett had horrible test scores, and the reason why he went straight to the NBA was only because he didnt score highly enough on his SAT/ACT (which actually, during the draft night, he learned that he barely passed, ironically). He's the perfect example, such a stupid guy... lol.

oldenpolynice
03-11-2009, 06:15 PM
So just because he doesnt have academic smarts means that he wont be a good basketball player?

Kevin Garnett had horrible test scores, and the reason why he went straight to the NBA was only because he didnt score highly enough on his SAT/ACT (which actually, during the draft night, he learned that he barely passed, ironically). He's the perfect example, such a stupid guy... lol.

Good catch. I was about to call you on that one.

KG isn't going to set the world on fire in terms of academics, but he matured quickly in the NBA. I think he had the Wolves in the playoffs by (what?) his second season in the league. That's mostly because he's an athletic freak, though. I don't feel like Jennings has the same dominant athletic qualities.

Kakaroach
03-11-2009, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't draft him because he seems like he doesn't care. Skips college to go make some money? He's being less scouted and this strange performance doesn't help his stock.