PDA

View Full Version : Pedro

spiatzko
03-09-2009, 10:32 AM
Here is something to mull over. Pedro Martinez is still out there, and also has something to prove. He isn't a top guy anymore, so he shouldnt cost a ton. The way some of our guys have looked so far this spring, a one year deal may not look to shabby.

JMDTM
03-09-2009, 11:29 AM
for one year, for decently cheap...yes

I BLEED GREEN
03-09-2009, 01:02 PM
yes 1 yr deal would not hurt. he still has something left in the tank. as long as it is cheap

mark1125
03-09-2009, 01:55 PM
I wouldn't be against it if he came dirt cheap. With that being said, it will never happen. The Tigers have too many starters under contract (some of them very fat contracts). Sink or swim, we are going with Verlander, Bondo, Galarraga, Jackson, and a combination of Willis, Nate and Miner. Too many bodies with too much money owed.

Besides, Pdero is a far way from being a sure thing. His numbers wouldn't be any better than the other options. Couple with that the fact that he rarely goes past 5 innings, I am not too excited or confident it happens.

vinnybobhockeyt
03-09-2009, 02:26 PM
look for the tigers to swap problem pitchers before spring training ends.dontrelle willis will go back to national league (san fransisco) and barry zito will come back to the american league with the tigers...leyland will demand at least one left handed starter from dave dombrowski and dombrowski will eat the additional contract cost of zito so he can send porcello to aa erie.better hope bonderman gets healthy quick because robertson and minor are not the answer as the fifth starter.

stanpapi
03-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Look, you can sign Pedro, trade Willis for Zito, and it still won't cure what ails us. And hey, as for Zito, the Giants would have to eat about 90 percent of his contract. I mean, Pedro might net you a few draft picks around the trade deadline to some sucker who thinks his team is a Pedro away from winning it all. But even from wildly optimistic point of view, we are not a Pedro away from contending, or even a Zito. All this only gets us closer to being an old-timers team.

Epic89
03-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Look, you can sign Pedro, trade Willis for Zito, and it still won't cure what ails us. And hey, as for Zito, the Giants would have to eat about 90 percent of his contract. I mean, Pedro might net you a few draft picks around the trade deadline to some sucker who thinks his team is a Pedro away from winning it all. But even from wildly optimistic point of view, we are not a Pedro away from contending, or even a Zito. All this only gets us closer to being an old-timers team.

Word.

spiatzko
03-09-2009, 05:20 PM
I never said we were a Pedro away, I just threw it out there. As for Zito, that may be the kind of change he needs, however I agree we aren't a Zito away either. We may be a Pevey away, no... That wouldnt happen!

Bondomania
03-09-2009, 05:52 PM
no.. pedro is old and injury prone.. not something we can afford.. if anything we just ride it out with Willis.. he has huge upside if/when he gets it back together. Zito is a joke.. i would never want him.. he is a disaster and should have lost more than 20 games last season

JackB
03-09-2009, 10:56 PM
I would be very willing to give Martinez a shot. Hes a better option then Garcia was last year. Martinez is a competitor. I think he still has some gas left in the tank. He is savy. He would have a big ball park to pitch in half his game.He would provide the leadership that Rogers did a couple of years ago. If we could get him cheap enough I would much rather gamble on him then Roberston.Robertson wouldn't the first player the Tigers let go and continued paying for. I just have a feeling Bonderman is going to be on and off the DL all season. Gallaraga only has one year expirence and willis isn't having a great spring and we may never see him return to or even close to what he once was. I think he is a good gamble.

Bondomania
03-10-2009, 10:29 AM
I think if anything the Tigers should just ride out what they have.. and if they are in the playoff race come mid to late July and starting pitching is still an issue then i think they should try and get Sheets who should be ready by then. Sheets, when healthy, is absolutly filthy. Do i trust him over an entire season to stay healthy.. not really.. but if he has to make 10 to 15 starts over the last two months then i am fine with that

hoog
03-10-2009, 10:37 AM
I brought him up as a bullpen candidate early in the off season. He might still be able to go a strong inning or two out of the pen but would he be willing to do it?

RicoSteel
03-10-2009, 10:41 AM
no.. pedro is old and injury prone.. not something we can afford.. if anything we just ride it out with Willis.. he has huge upside if/when he gets it back together. Zito is a joke.. i would never want him.. he is a disaster and should have lost more than 20 games last season

Ride it out with Willis? Great plan. I plan on seeing him start opening day for the Mudhens. Pedro is not a bad idea.

Lions #81
03-10-2009, 01:16 PM
tiger aare interested in Zitto

Lions #81
03-10-2009, 01:16 PM
?

Tragedy
03-10-2009, 02:17 PM
yes 1 yr deal would not hurt. he still has something left in the tank. as long as it is cheap
+1.

It's a matter of money, really. We know whatever he signs will be for a one year deal, we just don't know how much. It seems like he probably wants more than what other teams want to pay him. If he's willing to take $5 million and under, I don't see any reason why a team like the Tigers shouldn't take a look.

sweetlou1
03-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Not a chance. Pedro has stated he wants to play but hes not doing it for peanuts. Whats the difference between Pedro with a 4.79 ERA and Minor with a 4.79 ERA? Less injuries and more starts for less money. Zito still makes to much and the Tigers wont absorb his salary. We have Verlander, Gallaraga, Bondo and don't forget Edwin Jackson, Nate Robertson, Dontrell Willis and Ryan Minor. Porcello is not to far away. That is a ton of starting pitching. Health and fielding will be the key to this year.

Bondomania
03-10-2009, 04:59 PM
Ride it out with Willis? Great plan. I plan on seeing him start opening day for the Mudhens. Pedro is not a bad idea.

Why would we add more to payroll?? Pedro is looking for a 5 mill. base with another 5 mill. in incentives.. I don't see the point.. Willis hasn't been throwing the ball that bad this summer.. and his last outting he had the flu Leyland admitted. Willis has the ability to be good.. Plus.. this year is more of a retooling year anyway.. next year we are going to have a wealth of young talent come up through the farm system..

mark1125
03-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Agreed.

We don't HAVE to ride it out with Willis either. Verlander, Jackson, galaraggaand Bondo (if healthy) are locks. That leaves one spot for Willis, Nate or Miner. Let the best man win (or at least the least bad).

I think many people have yet to realize that Pedro is a long way from being what he was. His age, price, lack of endurance, and injury risk make him unlikely. If he could be had for a million or so, fine. I will let someone else drop $5million on him.

smarkow
03-10-2009, 06:00 PM
This discussion needs to end. Unless we sign pedro for 500K

tigersfan6884
03-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Even if we owe Robertson, Miner, and Willis a ton of money Pedro could not hurt if anything else he can put the pressure on one of them to possibly perform at a higher level, I will admit although against mediocre at best talent in the WBC Pedro has looked good. Sign Him!!!!!!!!

stanpapi
03-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Please, don't.

smarkow
03-11-2009, 01:10 PM
This is one of the dumbest threads i've read on this "bored".

The last thing we need on this team is an over the hill, over priced guy that is going to throw out his arm.

Besides that, where would we even put him? Please don't answer that questions....

Tragedy
03-15-2009, 10:00 PM
This is one of the dumbest threads i've read on this "bored".

The last thing we need on this team is an over the hill, over priced guy that is going to throw out his arm.

Besides that, where would we even put him? Please don't answer that questions....
If you can get him on the cheap (doubtful), you do it. He showed in the WBC that he can still be effective. Can he do it for 30 starts? I doubt it. But if he could do it on the cheap for 15 or so starts, you should add it.

With that said, like I mentioned, it's doubtful that he costs that little. Knowing that, he's probably not a Tiger option.

JackB
03-16-2009, 09:13 PM
well so far Willis isn't make a strong case for making the rotation. Nor the team for that matter.

theoldgoalie
03-19-2009, 04:12 PM

I am with you on this one Papi......Why? It would would be a serious waste of money and resources. Bring a minor leaguer up, let Porcello pitch, see what Lambert, Miner, Rainwater, Robertson or Willis can do, but what the heck would we go get Pedro who has proven absolutely NOTHING over the last couple of years and would be on the DL half the time he was here? Keep the status quo, we have enough pitching talent to get us through, we are FAR from that desperate.

michigansports8
03-22-2009, 07:30 PM
:clap:ive been thinking. whover said the giants would eat the large amount of zitos contract if we got him thats a good point. ever since he was traded to the giants the big contract hes been lousy well we could get him for dirt from the giants and hes shown succes in the al so maybe thats not a bad idea. heres another please reply. texas obviously isnt going anywhere with the angels in there division right and the red sox will win the wild card i believe. we could probly get ian kindsler for inge and and a relief pitcher? he could ply 3rd i love the idea. i wish dave would think about that.

michigansports8
03-22-2009, 07:32 PM
no thanks as for pedro hed want 10 mil to pitch one game and get injured

mark1125
03-22-2009, 08:19 PM
:clap:ive been thinking. whover said the giants would eat the large amount of zitos contract if we got him thats a good point. ever since he was traded to the giants the big contract hes been lousy well we could get him for dirt from the giants and hes shown succes in the al so maybe thats not a bad idea. heres another please reply. texas obviously isnt going anywhere with the angels in there division right and the red sox will win the wild card i believe. we could probly get ian kindsler for inge and and a relief pitcher? he could ply 3rd i love the idea. i wish dave would think about that.

Kinsler is one of the best 2B in the game and is going nowhere but up. We couldn't give Inge away with his contract and there isn't any reliever in our roster that would make up for it. I think Kinsler is untouchable in Texas.

Epic89
03-23-2009, 12:21 AM

:down::down::down::down::down:

Realism never hurt anyone.

Bondomania
03-23-2009, 08:52 PM
hahahahaha... no offense but that is an MLB 2k9 trade.. it would never work.. you would have to give up Inge plus Casey Crosby, Cale Iorg and maybe someone else.. Kinsler is sick and one of the better young 2b in the game.. i don't get exactly what that would accomplish either.. since we have Polanco at 2nd right now

Sheffies Chef
03-23-2009, 10:24 PM
I'll chime in, because I'm fly like that lol.

-Pedro should not, and will not pitch in Detroit. For one, he's old, he's gonna command essentially $7mil more than he's worth (his worth is a $1mil base salary with $2mil in incentives at max). The 5th spot is a competition between Dontrelle, Nate, and Zach. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe Porcello, but that's a bit of a stretch (though he clearly has the best stuff of the three).

-The day we trade for Zito is the day that a major earthquake will strike the world located wherever I am when I hear about this. It would be a dumb, pointless move that accomplishes nothing. For those saying, maybe a change of scenary. Isn't that what we were trying with Dontrelle?

-The guy who mentioned trading Inge and a relief pitcher for Kinsler. Wow dude. Unless your converting Porcello to a reliever, that deal wouldn't be anything.

The conversation between Dave Dombrowski and Jon Daniels:

Dombrowski- Hello Jon, how are you doing?
Daniels- I'm doing well Dave, how about yourself?
DD- I'm well thanks. The reason for my call is about a potential trade I want to try and negotiate with you.
JD- Ok, I'm listening.
DD- I was thinking of Brandon Inge, and a reliever of ours for your Ian Kinsler.
JD- *Chuckling softly* Does that reliever mean Rick Porcello or Ryan Perry?
DD- Uh, no.
JD- *Laughing Hysterically*
DD- Jon? Jon... you there Jon?
JD- *Laughing hardcore*
DD- Dammit *Hangs up*.

Sheffies Chef
03-23-2009, 10:24 PM
The exact conversation between the two. Mark it. lol.

Bondomania
03-24-2009, 08:25 AM
i could see the convo being something similar to that..

michigansports8
03-24-2009, 09:44 AM
texas has lost everything hes all they have. by the time theyre finaly ready for a championship he,ll be far past his prime even tho hes young . not to say there not decent now but theyre not going anywhere yet. i love polonco nd hes done well for a long time for the tigers but we have a team that has many stars ageing ordonez guillen polonco sheffield 4 of our starters over age 34 it woouldnt do any bad to get rid of polonco and someone else for kindsler. and belive me hes far from " untouchable " in texas.

michigansports8
03-24-2009, 09:46 AM
texas has lost everything hes all they have. by the time theyre finaly ready for a championship he,ll be far past his prime even tho hes young . not to say there not decent now but theyre not going anywhere yet. i love polonco nd hes done well for a long time for the tigers but we have a team that has many stars ageing ordonez guillen polonco sheffield 4 of our starters over age 34 it woouldnt do any bad to get rid of polonco and someone else for kindsler. and belive me hes far from " untouchable " in texas........ lol i had to repost this posted in the wrong thread

michigansports8
03-24-2009, 09:46 AM
oh lol