PDA

View Full Version : NBA Mock Trade Deadline ECF Magic-Cavs

fins08
03-09-2009, 06:41 AM
Magic have homecourt advantage

PLEASE LOOK AT THE ROSTERS! THESE ARE NOT REAL TEAMS, SO PLEASE VOTE ON WHO WOULD WIN IN A 7 GAME SERIES!

Magic (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8260923&postcount=20)
Cavs (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8252665&postcount=6)

Thanks, and good luck. Poll closes at 8:00 PM EST

Magic

C-Tyson Chandler/Melvin Ely/Marcin Gortat
PF-Tim Duncan/Glen Davis/P.J. Brown
SF-Mike Dunleavy/Andres Nocioni/Walter Hermann
SG-Raja Bell/James Posey
PG-Chris Paul/Travis Diener/Mike Wilks

Cavs

PG: Mo Williams/Smush Parker/Will Solomon
SG: Stephen Jackson/Delonte West/Ira Newble
SF: LeBron James/Quentin Richardson/Devean George
PF: Shawn Marion/Antonio Mcdyess/Keith Van Horn
C: Rasheed Wallace/Brendan Haywood/Desagana Diop

fins08
03-09-2009, 06:44 AM
1 Orlando Magic vs. 2 Cleveland Cavaliers

The Cavaliers are deep, athletic, and great defensively. Contrary to our previous two opponents, there is really no one weakness we can exploit from them. But just like our past match-ups, we have a few key advantages that will determine the outcome of the series.

Hotpotato likes to say "We have LeBron, they don't". Yes, he is the best player in the league or at least top 2. Well that won't work in this series. We have Chris Paul and Tim Duncan. They don't. Those two are in the top 5.

Frontcourt: Tyson Chandler and Tim Duncan vs. Rasheed Wallace and Shawn Marion

This is where the series is won for us. At both ends. Tim Duncan is the best post player in the league, both offensively and defensively. He'll have his way with Wallace, Marion, LeBron, or whoever the Cavs want to throw at him. It has nothing to do with their guys; everyone I just named is at least a solid defender. But as I've said many times before Duncan is an animal in the playoffs and he can't be stopped on the biggest stage.

Defensively, Chandler has the length and the footspeed to contain Marion inside or out. Offensively, Sheed only shows up half the time and whenever he does we have the best post defender in the league in Duncan to hold him down.

Rebounding would also work to our advantage here. For his size and talent, Wallace could be a much better rebounder and has always been merely average. Marion, just the opposite, will have trouble outworking the likes of Duncan and Chandler on the glass.

Edge: Magic

Small forward: Mike Dunleavy/James Posey/Andres Nocioni vs. LeBron James

Dunleavy will see 18-24 minutes here. Posey and Nocioni will see the rest of the time available at SF. When they're in the game, LeBron will definitely be challenged. Obviously he cannot be stopped but limiting his production possession by possession is the goal here. And with two hard nosed, tough defenders like Posey and Nocioni switching off on him constantly, he will definitely have some competition to deal with.

A major portion of LeBron's scoring comes from inside as well and Sheed and Marion are both shooting pretty low percentages from outside, we can clog the lane with Duncan and Chandler on occassion as well.

Edge: Cavaliers

Backcourt: Chris Paul and Raja Bell vs. Mo Williams and Stephen Jackson

For the first time in these mock playoffs, Paul may actually have a challenge defensively from the likes of laterally quick guys like Williams and Marion. But realistically, they won't stop him. Bowen and Parker, very laterally quick players, both took cracks at him in the 2008 playoffs and to no avail. Paul is this team's motor and as long as he's going and creating for inside studs like Duncan and sharpshooters in Dunleavy, Posey, Nocioni, and Bell, this team would be just too difficult to beat. Like Posey and Nocioni on LeBron, Williams and Jackson and Marion, may challenge Paul on a few possessions but they won't limit him enough to make a difference in his production and efficiency.

Defensively, we may be the best backcourt in the mock. Bell is not a great defender but he's a solid, tough, persistent one and chuckers with 1.5-1 assist-turnover ratios like Jackson aren't that hard to defend. Paul's defense on the ball is not great but it's solid and he's highly active at the defensive end, constantly looking to pick pockets. He'll give Williams plenty of trouble, no doubt.

Edge: Magic

Realistically, this would truly be an epic matchup. The Cavs are extremely versatile and both teams are loaded with experience, defense, star power, and depth. That said, we think our combo of Paul and Duncan would be too much even for LeBron and the Magic will prevail in a hardfought 7. Homecourt advantage may be a difference maker. I congratulate Hotpotato and Doc for having made it this far and wish the two of them and their Cavs the best of luck in this series.

***THE PLAYERS WILL NOT BE MATCHED UP DEFENSIVELY AGAINST THE PLAYERS OF THEIR POSITION, PLEASE READ THE WRITE UP TO SEE WHO WILL BE DEFENDING WHOM***

Mo Williams vs Chris Paul: Chris Paul is the NBA's best point guard and it would be foolish of me to try to convince anybody that Mo was better. Mo's no slouch though, he's the PERFECT point guard for LeBron, he hits his shots and can run the offense when necessary. Mo's ability to hit the open shots created by king james make him a huge threat to the magic. Now on the defensive end, Mo will not be defending Chris Paul. I love Mo but he's simply not up to it, Chris Paul will be defended by Shawn Marion. Marion is one of the league's top perimeter defenders and my theory is that if you cut off the head of the magic's attack then the body will die. By throwing Marion on CP3 his affectiveness is cut to a more manageable level. And since Shawn Marion is the fifth option offensively for me he can go all out defensively without worrying about being inneffective offensively.

Stephen Jackson vs. Raja Bell: This is a clear win for my Cavs. Raja Bell has clearly lost a step, and while he can still defend at an above average level he's no longer the stopper he once was. Stephen Jackson may be as good of a defender right now because he's still in his prime and he is a very skilled defender when he wants to be. The difference between the two is scoring, Stephen Jackson is a 20 point scorer who, like Mo, will only be helped by the open shots created by LeBron. On the defensive end Stephen will not be defending Raja, Mo Williams will. Raja is small for an SG so Mo can handle him, especially considering he isn't a great offensive player anyway.

LeBron James vs Mike Dunleavy: Oh my god where do I begin. LeBron James is the best player in basketball and Dunleavy is a notoriously bad defender. Not to mention the fact that he's soft as a pillow. What's he gonna do when LeBron's driving on him? LeBron could very well average 40 in this series. The Magic have claimed that James Posey will play big minutes at SF off of the bench, but if he is who will play SG off the bench for them? They have nobody else so more than likely either Andres Nocioni (dog poop) or Mike Dunleavy is going to be forced to guard LeBron James, that will NOT end well for the Magic (although it will for me ).I simply can't tell you how big of a win this is for me. As for defense, LeBron will not be defending Dunleavy, Stephen Jackson will. Stephen has the body of an SF and is a more than capable defender so guarding Dunleavy shouldn't be a problem.

Shawn Marion vs Tim Duncan: Tim Duncan is one of the top players ever so again Marion isn't better than him. But Marion's no scrub either. He's one of basketball's best defenders and a capable three point shooter. His main function on the offensive end is simple, draw Tim Duncan away from the basket. Either Tim comes out to defend Marion on the perimeter and LeBron has a much easier time driving the lane, or he leaves Marion wide open to hit threes. Either way the mismatch of Duncan guarding a perimeter player will hurt the Magic. Now defensively Marion will obviously be guarding CP3 (as stated earlier in the write up), so Duncan will be defended by LeBron James. LeBron's defense has evolved so much this season that he will likely be named to All NBA defensive first team. He's strong enough to defend a big guy like Duncan in the post, but quick and skilled enough to defend Duncan at the high post as well. LeBron's unique skills and unparalled athleticism make him the perfect guy to defend Tim Duncan.

Rasheed Wallace vs Tyson Chandler: This is the closest match up between any two starters in this series in my opinion, but I think Rasheed wins it. Both of these guys are elite post defenders, so that's pretty much a wash. The difference is offense. Rasheed is a skilled low post scorer, he has post moves and can step outside and hit jumpers, even the occasional three pointer. Tyson is one the NBA's least skilled scoring big men, all of his points come by alleyoops from Chris Paul, but with Shawn Marion guarding him those alleyoops are gonna be harder to come by. While Tyson is a capable center defensively, his offensive lack of skills make Rasheed the clear winner of this matchup.

My Bench vs their bench: These are two capable benches, but I like mine better. Neither of us have great point guards off of the bench so that's a wash. James Posey and Delonte West are both capable sixth men, the thing that makes West win their match up is that Posey is out of position. He's not a shooting guard, he's a small forward. He can't move to small forward though because they have nobody else who can play shooting guard. I'd take an excellent 6th man who averages 14 points over an out of position James Posey any day. Quentin Richardson is a capable scorer and could hit big shots off of the bench for me, Andres Nocioni is in my honorable opinion, dog poop. He may have had some value once but now he's just not a good player, Qrich wins that match up. We both have good power forwards off of the bench, I like mine better though because of versatility. I have a great defensive big in Mcdyess and a nice offensive big in Van Horn, Davis and Brown are both defenders and very similar players. My centers demolish his. I have a top 10-15 center COMING OFF OF THE BENCH in Brendan Haywood, as well as another capable starter at center in Desagana Diop coming off of the bench. Melvin Ely and Gorcat are barely roster capable players, we destroy them in backup centers. When you add a defensive stud in Devean George and a great three point shooter in Ira Newble, our bench edges out theirs. For those of you who need to know who wins more matchups, here it is:

Mo<CP3
Sjax>Raja
LeBron>>>>>>Dunleavy
Marion<Duncan
Rasheed>Tyson
My bench>their bench

that's a 4-2 win for me if that's what you're looking at. I personally think that I win because of what I said in the writeup but I know some people like the <=> match ups. Anyway I think this Magic team is one of the best I've ever seen in a mock, I think it's clearly the 2nd best team in this mock but I think in the end my Cavs would prevail in 7 hard fought games. You did a great job CF and RR, I just think my team is a bit better.

writeups

Super.
03-09-2009, 06:47 AM
The Cav's are simply amazing, up front those big men, and having lebron...plus there's some good depth behind these guys too. Cavs in 6

$KnicksAndKobe$
03-09-2009, 07:25 AM
The Magic have Duncan.
Duncan>Lebron
Magic sweep Cavs 4-0

Magic have a better bench and Cavs have too much erratic shooters.
Plus the magic have 2 superstars while the Cavs have 1.

hotpotato1092
03-09-2009, 07:32 AM
Duncan better than LeBron??? Someone's been smokin too much of something, Duncan's past his prime and LeBron's just getting into it. I love Duncan but right now he is not better then LeBron. And you can't just base it off stars, you have to look at the whole teams.

astrosmaniac
03-09-2009, 07:44 AM
HP you cant say that lebron>>>>>dunleavy but put that duncan>marion. its more like duncan>>>>marion. i have to go with the magic. they have 2 top 5 players, a shooter in bell, a solid rotation of offense with dunleavy, and defense with posey and nocioni, and a crazy athletic and defensive player in chandler

hotpotato1092
03-09-2009, 10:59 AM
HP you cant say that lebron>>>>>dunleavy but put that duncan>marion. its more like duncan>>>>marion. i have to go with the magic. they have 2 top 5 players, a shooter in bell, a solid rotation of offense with dunleavy, and defense with posey and nocioni, and a crazy athletic and defensive player in chandler

From a match up standpoint LeBron is that much better than Dunleavy but Duncan isn't that much better than Marion. Dunleavy wouldn't be able to defend LeBron at all, he would go nuts on him, whereas Marion isn't even guarding Duncan so all I have to worry about is Duncan on Marion, which is a mis match because Marion draws Duncan away from the basket. So Marion has advantages over Duncan whereas LeBron would simply destroy Dunleavy in every facet of the game.

hotpotato1092
03-09-2009, 11:06 AM
I hate when voters don't think about match ups, in this series that could kill me. People are just gonna look at "oh Duncan and Paul they must be amazing" but my team has match up advantages over them. Every voters gonna think "oh they have two top five players", but are they gonna think about how effective Paul would be with an elite defender like Marion on him? Are they gonna think about how much the Magic's team defense is hurt by Marion drawing Duncan away from the basket? Are they gonna think about how James Posey would have a hard time defending Delonte West off of the bench because of West's quickness? Are they gonna think about how the double and triple teams that the Magic have to use on LeBron because he's being guarded by the human pillow (mike dunleavy) will create a ton of open shots for everyone else, who all happen to be very good shooters? No, no, no and no. And I think that's ridiculous. Not that I think the Magic are a bad team or anything, but I think my Cavs just match up better with them. Voters, I urge you to look at the match ups instead of just the names.

hotpotato1092
03-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Nice to see the match ups keeping close.

superkegger
03-09-2009, 01:27 PM
For me, this came down to the superstars. I think the benches/role players are pretty well even. And if one has an edge, its so slight it wouldn't be the tipping point.

Tim Duncan simply gets the job done. That's so cliche, but it's the truth. He wins, and having shawn marion on him, not gonna get it done. Though there are a couple decent backups options, like Sheed or Mcdyess, which would propose more trouble for Duncan, but then that gives chandler a mismatch if he has marion on him. And while he's not an offensive stud by any means, we know chris paul knows how to use him, and with marion on him, I'm sure theyd find a way.

LeBron is fantastic, that's for sure. However, I feel like the Magic have enough to throw at him that they could make him a jumpshooter. With Bell, Posey, Dunleavy and Nocioni, and hell even Hermann, there's enough size, pesky defending and energy where the Magic (who seem to be built on pretty sound defensive players, which just leads me to believe they would play good team defense, and be able to at least to a point clog the lane on LeBron) could throw enough different looks and defenders at LeBron to keep him off balance enough to make the difference in one or two games.

That combined with homecourt gives the matchup to the Magic.

celticfan
03-09-2009, 03:40 PM
I hate when voters don't think about match ups, in this series that could kill me. People are just gonna look at "oh Duncan and Paul they must be amazing" but my team has match up advantages over them. Every voters gonna think "oh they have two top five players", but are they gonna think about how effective Paul would be with an elite defender like Marion on him? Are they gonna think about how much the Magic's team defense is hurt by Marion drawing Duncan away from the basket? Are they gonna think about how James Posey would have a hard time defending Delonte West off of the bench because of West's quickness? Are they gonna think about how the double and triple teams that the Magic have to use on LeBron because he's being guarded by the human pillow (mike dunleavy) will create a ton of open shots for everyone else, who all happen to be very good shooters? No, no, no and no. And I think that's ridiculous. Not that I think the Magic are a bad team or anything, but I think my Cavs just match up better with them. Voters, I urge you to look at the match ups instead of just the names.

James Posey I think would be fine against west and you cant put marion on both paul and Duncan at the same time? And you telling me that williams can contain Bell? Yes jame swill have a field day against Dunleavy, we all know that, but Posey can come in and play D off the bench against James. I think the Magic are a great team, and I dont think the cavs have the bigs to compete with them.

unwantedplayer
03-09-2009, 03:50 PM
James Posey will do a good job guarding James. Magic in 6.

hotpotato1092
03-09-2009, 04:08 PM
James Posey I think would be fine against west and you cant put marion on both paul and Duncan at the same time? And you telling me that williams can contain Bell? Yes jame swill have a field day against Dunleavy, we all know that, but Posey can come in and play D off the bench against James. I think the Magic are a great team, and I dont think the cavs have the bigs to compete with them.

Marion guards Paul but on the offensive end Duncan will more than likely be guarding Marion. LeBron's guarding Duncan. Bell is a pretty bad offensive player, Mo shouldn't have a problem with him. Not that it matters any more, I've pretty much lost this series. Not to take anything away from the Magic but I legitimately think I should win this series, I think from both a match up and talent stand point I'm better but I guess it doesn't matter now.

SteveNash
03-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Cavs should have won this...

LeBron would have murdered the entire Magic team going up against Dunleavy for half a game.

But...

The Cavs made terrible defensive moves.

Putting Marion on Paul is terrible, Paul would kill Marion all game long. Instead of cutting off the head, he's making it bigger.

Then he puts LeBron on Tim Duncan, is this a joke? Does he not have one of the best players to guard Duncan in Rasheed Wallace? He's also killing LeBron's offensive game by forcing him to work so hard on the defensive end.

CP3-Mo
Raja-Jackson
Dunleavy-LBJ
Duncan-Rasheed
Chandler-Marion

= Win

CP3-Marion
Raja-Mo
Dunleavy-Jackson
Duncan-LBJ
Chandler-Rasheed

= Fail

RocketsRule
03-09-2009, 04:43 PM
^You've got to realize we have two very good defenders that would see a lot more time than Dunleavy. Both Posey and Nocioni are very good defenders who are capable of holding their own against Lebron.

hotpotato1092
03-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Cavs should have won this...

LeBron would have murdered the entire Magic team going up against Dunleavy for half a game.

But...

The Cavs made terrible defensive moves.

Putting Marion on Paul is terrible, Paul would kill Marion all game long. Instead of cutting off the head, he's making it bigger.

Then he puts LeBron on Tim Duncan, is this a joke? Does he not have one of the best players to guard Duncan in Rasheed Wallace? He's also killing LeBron's offensive game by forcing him to work so hard on the defensive end.

CP3-Mo
Raja-Jackson
Dunleavy-LBJ
Duncan-Rasheed
Chandler-Marion

= Win

CP3-Marion
Raja-Mo
Dunleavy-Jackson
Duncan-LBJ
Chandler-Rasheed

= Fail

Marion's a top 5 perimeter defender, how would Paul destroy him?

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
03-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I say Cleveland, LeBron+4 other legit scorers would be ridiculous.

RocketsRule
03-09-2009, 04:51 PM

:laugh2:

No way Marion can keep up with Paul. Marion's used to guarding SG and SF's. Not one of the quickest PG's in the NBA.

superkegger
03-09-2009, 04:52 PM

Because he's not that great of a defender anymore, and that approach hasn't worked in the past with Paul.

Besides, even in Marion can contain Paul to and extent, it leaves Duncan with a relatively easy matchup, he'd work LeBron in the post.

Catfish1314
03-09-2009, 04:57 PM
From a match up standpoint LeBron is that much better than Dunleavy but Duncan isn't that much better than Marion. Dunleavy wouldn't be able to defend LeBron at all, he would go nuts on him, whereas Marion isn't even guarding Duncan so all I have to worry about is Duncan on Marion, which is a mis match because Marion draws Duncan away from the basket. So Marion has advantages over Duncan whereas LeBron would simply destroy Dunleavy in every facet of the game.

If you read our write-up, we have Chandler defending Marion. Marion has a major quickness advantage, but all Chandler would have to do is give him some space and play him for the drive. Marion is not nor has he ever been a lights out perimeter shooter. He can make them, but it's not like Marion's offensive production is a pivotal factor in the series. Duncan will defend Wallace, who like I said, only shows up half the time on offense.

And I can't understand LeBron on Duncan. Marion on Paul, that's understandable and I would expect as much. But you would be willing to hound LeBron with defending the best interior scorer in the NBA while also being your major motor and catalyst offensively? Duncan is known for getting his defenders into foul trouble and I doubt LeBron, for all his greatness, would be an exception there.

Regardless, I still wish you and Doc the best of luck.

coltsfan11
03-09-2009, 04:58 PM
Cavs win this one in my opinion because of the fact they have a great front court, and LeBron will take over.

Catfish1314
03-09-2009, 04:59 PM
Cavs win this one in my opinion because of the fact they have a great front court, and LeBron will take over.

Yeah and since Chris Paul and Tim Duncan would just stand there and watch.

Sportfan
03-09-2009, 05:13 PM
magic

fins08
03-09-2009, 06:03 PM
if cavs make it within 4 by 8, I will extend it

superkegger
03-09-2009, 07:30 PM
if cavs make it within 4 by 8, I will extend it

not that i care all that much, but wouldn't it make the most sense to just set a close date/time on the poll.

braveniler58
03-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Cavs.

Giannis94
03-09-2009, 07:55 PM
The Cavsgm was not to friendly to me, so I vote for Magice

YankeeFan89
03-09-2009, 08:11 PM
As much as I like Lebrons team...Duncan will destroy...Marion

fins08
03-09-2009, 09:35 PM
not that i care all that much, but wouldn't it make the most sense to just set a close date/time on the poll.

if it is a tie? and i would have to close it tomorow i think which would be pointless

Magic-Lakers on Wednesday for all the marbles

VCaintdead17
03-09-2009, 09:42 PM

BHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! Ohhhh Brewerboy, your reasoning never ceases to amaze me.

EAGLES3658
03-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Cavs

juggla53
03-09-2009, 10:25 PM
I'll take orlando duncans expirence and post season history along with CP3's playmakeing will outduel lebron in a 7 game series. Lebron would deffinatley get his but the magic have two Seven foot shotblocking and rebounding machines in duncan and chandler and i think the magic have the better bench.

hotpotato1092
03-09-2009, 10:43 PM

Are you serious? I got threatened with disqualification when I said that in the redraft. You can't just vote based on your own predjudices, not that it matters now but still brewerboy I'm not surprised you'd do this, after all you've voted against me every round and you made the most ridiculous one sided writeup I've ever seen (I laughed my *** off). Oh well, I can take solace in the fact that I'm an infinitely better GM than you.

GSW fan
03-09-2009, 10:59 PM
cavs are 12 good players deep

vote cavs

except their write up is ********.
soo

vote magic in 6

SteveNash
03-09-2009, 11:09 PM
^You've got to realize we have two very good defenders that would see a lot more time than Dunleavy. Both Posey and Nocioni are very good defenders who are capable of holding their own against Lebron.

You said he was going to be playing LeBron and that he was going to be playing 24 minutes a game.

Marion is not and has never been a top 5 defender. He's older, slower, and wouldn't be able to guard Paul.

Catfish1314
03-09-2009, 11:11 PM
You said he was going to be playing LeBron and that he was going to be playing 24 minutes a game.

I said 18-24. And it's not like LeBron plays 48 minutes a game. Dunleavy's time would have been spent mostly when LeBron wasn't on the floor.

SteveNash
03-09-2009, 11:23 PM
I said 18-24. And it's not like LeBron plays 48 minutes a game. Dunleavy's time would have been spent mostly when LeBron wasn't on the floor.

LeBron could play 48 minutes a game, or close too it.

juggla53
03-09-2009, 11:33 PM

Marion is not and has never been a top 5 defender. He's older, slower, and wouldn't be able to guard Paul.

How can anyone really think marion could contain paul? he was relegated to bench role on a so-so miami team and paul would absolutley murder him at this point in their careers.

DocUSN
03-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Congrats to the magic.

Sportfan
03-10-2009, 05:02 PM
congrats to the magic :clap:

bidi_nash
03-10-2009, 05:06 PM
i voted magic cause cp3 would murder marion

Sportfan
03-10-2009, 05:10 PM
??? they play 2 different positions?

juggla53
03-10-2009, 05:43 PM
??? they play 2 different positions?

True, but the GM of the Cavs said Marion would be guarding CP3... and marion would get completley owned.

KB24PG16
03-10-2009, 06:13 PM
cavs

Ragun
03-10-2009, 07:04 PM
magic

RocketsRule
03-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Your all a little late.... Polls ended yesterday.