PDA

View Full Version : '03-04 Indiana Pacers in the league today, how do they do?

JordansBulls
03-08-2009, 11:51 PM
In 2003-2004 the Indiana Pacers went 61-21 and finished 1st in the Eastern Conference that season in the regular season and went to the ECF.

How good would that team do in the league nowadays if everyone now is how they were at that time?

They were 3rd in Defense that year, they had Reggie Miller, Ron Artest and Jermaine O'neal as their stars. They had solid outside shooting with Reggie Miller and a decent down low scorer with Jermaine O'neal. They also had good rebounding down low with Jermaine and Harrington.

2003-2004 Indiana Pacers (61-21)
PG Jamal Tinsley
SG Reggie Miller
SF Ron Artest
PF Al Harrington
C Jermaine O'neal

Key Bench Players
Anthony Johnson
Fred Jones
Jeff Foster
Austin Croshere

Would this team be able to win the NBA Title?

Thoughts!!!!

Personally I think the next year had the brawl never happened that team in 2005 would have won the East. The East that year would have been the best it had been in the 2000's because it would have had 3 championship teams in Miami, Detroit and Indiana.

But regarding the 2004 Indiana Pacers, how would they do in the league nowadays?

fedwik1
03-09-2009, 12:02 AM
No.

NYstateofMinD
03-09-2009, 12:05 AM
Jeff Foster was their starter, and Al Harrington was on the bench..and honestly in 05 I had them winning the East as well, but the 04 team was inexperienced. In the 09 season I say top 3 or 4 battling Orlando for that spot.

$KnicksAndKobe$
03-09-2009, 12:08 AM
They would be in the top 3 with Boston and LA.

Nirvanaskurdt
03-09-2009, 12:09 AM
they would for sure be in the playoffs.. the east is horrendous.

Still cant get over the lakers beating the pacers in the finals.. =\ was routing for REGGIE!!

Kakaroach
03-09-2009, 12:25 AM
I would have to say in the top 4 conversation. I mean, that team was pretty stellar, maybe even better than Boston's current team.

yojoe792
03-09-2009, 12:33 AM
Meh. 4th-5th in the east.

IndyRealist
03-09-2009, 12:37 AM
One of the forgotten aspects of the Brawl was that the Pacers had annihilated the defending champion Pistons, who had eliminated the Pacers in the previous playoffs. At the time of the fight the Pistons were pulling their starters and conceding the game. Ron Artest was trying to stay focused and under control. Jermaine was at his peak and Reggie was still dangerous. That team was headed for the Finals, if not winning it all. They were a defense first team who had plenty of offensive weapons.

Considering they walked over a Pistons team in their prime with all the motivation in the world to bury Indiana, I could see them going to the Finals now. They had a lockdown perimeter defender, a good inside defensive presence, perimeter shooting, and a deep bench.

chicagocubsfan
03-09-2009, 12:38 AM
They'd be battling the cavs in the central

superkegger
03-09-2009, 12:39 AM
I think they could easily compete in the east.

extreme k.closs
03-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Honestly, they would probably be #1 in the east

IversonIsKrazy
03-09-2009, 12:57 AM
so that means brawl never happened, JO wasnt injury prone yet, Reggie wasnt retired. Let's c, IMO they would be battling for the 1st seed in East w/ the celtics and cavs. They would make the finals and lose 2 either lakers or spurs.

Chronz
03-09-2009, 04:58 AM
No one really stood out offensively for me, they were elite defensively but so are the rest of these other teams.

JordansBulls
03-09-2009, 08:44 AM
so that means brawl never happened, JO wasnt injury prone yet, Reggie wasnt retired. Let's c, IMO they would be battling for the 1st seed in East w/ the celtics and cavs. They would make the finals and lose 2 either lakers or spurs.

Reggie retired after the 2005 season.

bostncelts34
03-09-2009, 09:12 AM
I would have to say in the top 4 conversation. I mean, that team was pretty stellar, maybe even better than Boston's current team.

Not just being a homer, but i would take boston's team every time.

Allen and Miller are pretty much equal. Both amazing shooters.

Pierce and artest- Pierce gives you alot more ofense, while artest gives you a little more D

Kg and O'neal- Oneal in his prime was great, but still not as good as KG IMO.

Then Rondo/Perkins vs Tinsley/Foster.

ID probabaly say they would be battling orlando for that 3rd spot in the east

$KnicksAndKobe$
03-09-2009, 10:13 AM
This is me judging the Celtics today and the Pacers then.

Rondo=Tinsley
Allen=Miller
Artest>Pierce 05Artest was just a SUPERSTAR HIS FIRST AND FINAL 7 GAMES.
J=Kg Jermain would be better then the now KG, he was just a beast.
Foster=Perkins They both do the little things there teams needed, rebound and defend

Pacer bench>Celtic bench

bostncelts34
03-09-2009, 10:25 AM

Rondo=Tinsley
Allen=Miller
Foster=Perkins They both do the little things there teams needed, rebound and defend

Pacer bench>Celtic bench

How is artest BETTER than pierce? And you honestly think Jermaine would be better than KG? wow lol

Anyways, its hard to take a team, 5 years ago or so, and put them in time now. Freezing ages and all that stuff.

Like, what if you had THIS celtics team, with all the ages/skills from THAT season. Like, KG, Ray and pierce skill/age of 04' put together now vs this pacer team? just curious.

The Panch
03-09-2009, 11:45 AM
I don't know about the 03-04 team, but the 04-05 team was beastly. They would of won the championship had the brawl never happened. The had the best reacord in the league when it happenend, and still finished in the 6th seed with 44 wins with all of the suspensions.

mrblisterdundee
03-09-2009, 11:48 AM
Stop making "what if" threads just because Indiana is one of those teams that is destined to lose.

HoosierDaddy
03-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Pacers would win it all

JordansBulls
03-09-2009, 12:18 PM
How is artest BETTER than pierce? And you honestly think Jermaine would be better than KG? wow lol

Anyways, its hard to take a team, 5 years ago or so, and put them in time now. Freezing ages and all that stuff.

Like, what if you had THIS celtics team, with all the ages/skills from THAT season. Like, KG, Ray and pierce skill/age of 04' put together now vs this pacer team? just curious.

Well that was probably Jermaine's best season or 2nd best. KG this year is till a star, but isn't much better than JO was in 2004. For goodness sake the Pacers had the best record in the league that year.

The Panch
03-09-2009, 12:18 PM
No one really stood out offensively for me, they were elite defensively but so are the rest of these other teams.

They had Reggie Miller, one of the top offensive players ever.

IndyRealist
03-09-2009, 02:41 PM

Rondo=Tinsley
Allen=Miller

Pacer bench>Celtic bench

The Pacers had a 14ppg Al Harrington coming off the bench with a 10ppg Austin Croshere and a 10ppg Fred Jones (who won the slam dunk contest sometime in there). The Pacers' bench regularly outscored opposing bench's by a wide margin (20+ppg). That was the team's real strength.

davg31
03-09-2009, 03:00 PM
The could definetly put up a FIGHT- pun intended

JordansBulls
03-09-2009, 03:08 PM

Well IMO they are like the Rockets team this year with Mcgrady around. Good on defense and decent on offense.

SteveNash
03-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Either the second or third best team in the league. Behind Boston, toss up between Cleveland and LA.

montazingmvp
03-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Meh. 4th-5th in the east.

only a laker fan could be so ********

montazingmvp
03-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Not just being a homer, but i would take boston's team every time.

Allen and Miller are pretty much equal. Both amazing shooters.

Pierce and artest- Pierce gives you alot more ofense, while artest gives you a little more D

Kg and O'neal- Oneal in his prime was great, but still not as good as KG IMO.

Then Rondo/Perkins vs Tinsley/Foster.

ID probabaly say they would be battling orlando for that 3rd spot in the east

did you really just say ray allen and reggie miller are pretty equal players...

i prey that is a joke. because that is one of the dumbest comments i've ever read.

reggie miller is one of the 50 greatest players to ever play the game. allen is the third best player on his team, and could barely lead a team to the playoffs

SteveNash
03-09-2009, 03:39 PM

i prey that is a joke. because that is one of the dumbest comments i've ever read.

reggie miller is one of the 50 greatest players to ever play the game. allen is the third best player on his team, and could barely lead a team to the playoffs

Reggie Miller wasn't better than Rip that year. Reggie Miller is not in the top 50. And ranking players based on their career doesn't mean they're going to win that matchup.

JordansBulls
03-09-2009, 04:14 PM

I don't believe Reggie is a top 50 player ever, but he is a hall of famer. Pretty much he is about as good as Ray Allen was.

IndyRealist
03-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Reggie said during a broadcast that Ray Allen was going to break his 3pt shooting record. Reggie was clutch, though. Ask a Knicks fan.

Chronz
03-09-2009, 06:18 PM
They had Reggie Miller, one of the top offensive players ever.

Reggie was a model of consistency but even he would tell you those years were way past his glory days, he played 3-4 years too long according to him, but the way he played at such an advanced age was impressive.

The Answer3
03-09-2009, 06:23 PM
Reggie as a TALENT isn't really a HOF caliber player. He'll get in due to his big moments. Not taking anything away from him. He was a legit all-star but not franchise/superstar worthy.

Anyway, regarding the team, they'll be top 3 in the east and compete for the 1st seed along with Cavs and Celtics. Great defensively with JO in the paint taking charges, great weakside defense. Nice perimeter D with Artest. A guy like Reggie to take over games, he was pretty old though but still a great shooter.

montazingmvp
03-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Reggie as a TALENT isn't really a HOF caliber player. He'll get in due to his big moments. Not taking anything away from him. He was a legit all-star but not franchise/superstar worthy.

Anyway, regarding the team, they'll be top 3 in the east and compete for the 1st seed along with Cavs and Celtics. Great defensively with JO in the paint taking charges, great weakside defense. Nice perimeter D with Artest. A guy like Reggie to take over games, he was pretty old though but still a great shooter.

he was capable of leading a team to the conference finals several times. something ray allen has never done...

$KnicksAndKobe$
03-09-2009, 07:35 PM

Like I said, I was comparing between the Pacer team then and the Celtic team now.

$KnicksAndKobe$
03-09-2009, 07:37 PM
The Pacers had a 14ppg Al Harrington coming off the bench with a 10ppg Austin Croshere and a 10ppg Fred Jones (who won the slam dunk contest sometime in there). The Pacers' bench regularly outscored opposing bench's by a wide margin (20+ppg). That was the team's real strength.

Ye that's why I said Pacer bench > Celtics bench
Thanks for pointing out the facts though. That Pacer team was loaded.

vick27m
03-09-2009, 07:40 PM
they would make the playoffs not sure how far they would get though.

VCaintdead17
03-09-2009, 09:39 PM
No.

Great insight.

Anyways, I truely believe that if it was not for the brawl, we would of won the title. JO was just on tear and a legendary having clutch player like Reggie puts them over the top.

Not to mention they had Jeff Foster :p

JordansBulls
03-09-2009, 10:08 PM
they would make the playoffs not sure how far they would get though.

Of course they make the playoffs. IMO they are better than Orlando and Orlando may even win 60 games.