PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Surprise of the Year?

td0tsfinest
03-08-2009, 10:55 PM
Who in you opinion has been the biggest surprise of the Nba season? Pick a player who has exceeded your expectations or a player that's having a disappointing season compare to early expectations.

IMO, Kevin Durant has been one of the biggest surprises for me. I'm not going to lie, I was not sold on Kevin Durant last season. To me, he was just a guy who jacked up a lot of shots. But this season, he has definitely proved himself to be a scorer and he seems to be getting better with every game.

Other Notable players: Andrea Bargnani, Devin Harris, OJ Mayo, Al Jefferson

Disappointing players: Greg Oden, Shawn Marion, Allen Iverson, Tracy McGrady

Who are your choices

superkegger
03-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Biggest surpises ina good way:
Devin Harris. I always liked him and thought he'd be better this year, but I didn't know he'd put up these kind of numbers.
Durant: Not a huge surprise that he's playing well, what's surprised me is how efficent he is on offense
Shaq: Didn't think he had this much left in the tank.
Nuggets: They're slipping a bit as of late, but I didn't think they'd be as good as they are, even after the Chauncey trade, I wasn't sure they would be as good as they have been.
Orlando Magic: With Jameer they showed that they are an elite team. Didn't really expect them to be that good. I figured they would win a good number of games, I just didn't think I would be considering them actually among the best teams in the NBA.
Charlie Villanueava: Dude's been ballin as of late.
Danny Granger: Legitamized himself as a franchise guy.

I know there's a few other's I'm missing.

Biggest dissapointments:
Suns/Mavs/Pistons: 2-3 years ago they were the class of the NBA, now...
Clippers: I thought at the very least they could be relevant. I guess this is why they're the Clippers.
Greg Oden: I keep waiting and waiting for him to be something, so far, I'm still waiting.
Raptors/Sixers: I thought to begin the season they'd be challenging the Celtics, they've dissapointed severly.
Tmac: Has any superstar ever been so fragile?
Bulls: They swept the Heat in the playoffs 2 years ago and then...pathetic.
Sasha Vujacic: Seems to be an all too typical case of a contract year player.
Richard Jefferson: Dude has not lived up to what I thought he could, actually looking like a good move by the Nets.
Rudy Gay: Is there a shot he won't take?

Again, there's some I know I'm missing.

LanceUpperCut
03-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Biggest Suprise teams=Atlanta and Denver
Dissapointment teams=Raptors hands down and Detroit

Ollie Tabooger
03-08-2009, 11:30 PM
aaron brooks: hasnt exceeded my expectations i knew he was the best player in the league but he's improved alot since last year.

MAC10TIZZY
03-08-2009, 11:49 PM
aaron brooks: hasnt exceeded my expectations i knew he was the best player in the league but he's improved alot since last year.

WTF is this guy smoking?

Ollie Tabooger
03-08-2009, 11:59 PM
WTF is this guy smoking?

ha chill bro. ever hear of sarcasm

Kakaroach
03-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Biggest surprises:
Devin Harris, Brook Lopez and Vinsanity could actually take the Nets to the playoffs.
Charlotte Bobcats could get to the playoffs for the first time.
Biggest disappointments:
The "Big 3" not working out cause of injuries in Houston.
Toronto Raptors are one of the worst teams in the league, whereas they should be in the playoffs.

Vinny642
03-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Surprised- Magic, Cavs, Portland
Durant, OJ Mayo(didn't think he'd be this good off a shooter)

Disappointed- Mavs, Suns, Wizard Raptors
Peja(for now, he did have great games but recently he is shooting terribly) , Tmac,Oden

IversonIsKrazy
03-09-2009, 01:31 AM
Most surprising player: Andrea Bargnani

Ever since the year 2009, i think hes putting up around 20ppg, 7rpg, 1.5bpg.

Most Disappointing players: Allen Iverson & Tracy McGrady

I was so hyped abt the AI trade, and i thought detroit was going to go all the way. but i was wrong, SURELY wrong. man it sucked to be an AI fan this season.

T-Mac is like avging like 15ppg, thas really really low. I remember pplz sayin rockets r going to be the team to beat, but i knew they were going to be still injury prone, but i didnt know t-mac would be so bad 4 were hes aving 15ppg, thas jus sad.

Most Dissapointing Team: Toronto Raptors
I thought they were going to be a 4th seed team, would make it to the second round, and actually pose a threat to celtics, man it sucked to be a rap fan, hopefully we get #1 pick, lol.

Most Surprising Team: Denver Nuggets
It already sucked to be an AI fan knowing that he made the PISTONS a 500 team, it sucked even MORE realizing that CHauncey got the nugz to a possible home-court playoff team. Surely did surprise, i mean who would've thought that this year Nugz would be actually posing a threat to steal a seed as high as #2.

GSW fan
03-09-2009, 01:56 AM
the entire draft class

ragee
03-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Devin Harris and Shaq

mrblisterdundee
03-09-2009, 11:55 AM
The biggest surprise would have to be Russell Westbrook playing better than Derrick Rose, after everybody gave all the hype to Rose and Beasley.

black1605
03-09-2009, 03:53 PM
As a Bobcats fan:

Biggest Surprise:

Boris Diaw 15.3 ppg 6.2 rpg 5.1 apg .9 bpg .9 spg .455 from the three

he has simply done whatever it taked on any given night, sometimes he is a scorer, sometimes our best passer...he has been a great addition to the team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Biggest Disappointment:

Alexis Ajinca no stats needed

we traded a future first to get him, and he hasn't looked good. he is a raw talent who rides the bench...why not sen him to the d-league so he can at least play competitive basketball?

*EDIT* right after making this post, i read that Ajinca was sent to the D-League today....nice move!

IndyRealist
03-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Biggest surprises:
Boris Diaw: I didn't realize how good he was till I started analyzing the Bobcats trade. He deserves every penny he's making.
Eric Gordon: I'm from Indiana, and I thought he was overrated. Shame on me.
Brook Lopez: He is exactly as advertised, and that almost never happens in the draft.
New Jersey: What they're doing in Jersey is just crazy.
San Antonio: When Manu went down, and then Parker, I never would have thought that they'd be second in the West.

About what I expected:
Philly: Without outside shooters, Elton Brand was never going to work out on that team.
Phoenix: Same as Philly, but insert Shaq for Brand.

Disappointments:
Indiana: Yeah, losing your second leading scorer for basically the entire season will do that. And a 12-18 month rehab, starting....now.

black1605
03-09-2009, 04:25 PM
yeah, the Phoenix trade has proven to be our best move in Franchise history

we basically got: 28 points a game, 10 rebounds, 8 assists (Diaw and Bell combined) for Jason Richardson and his one dimensional game, and TWO run ins with the law since moving to Phoenix....not to mention Bell is the best defender on our team

obviouslly I am biased, but our front office has to be considered one of the most successful this season....not just by adding these two, but Radmonovich has been an excellent pick up, Juwan Howard has been solid, and Diop is a decent backup to Okafor

i am really excited for the rest of this year!

NYMetros
03-09-2009, 04:26 PM
My biggest ones thus far...

Denver Nuggets - made a great move by acquiring Billups. I didn't think they would do as good as they are now, but they are positioning themselves for a deep playoff run -- with Chauncey leading the charge.

Greg Oden - In one of his first ever games in the NBA -- after missing all of his 1st real season -- he gets injured. And now, he hasn't seen the court in weeks. This guy has bust written all over his face. Blazers fans will be setting themselves up for disappointment if they expect this guy to a fixture of their franchise.

Orlando Magic - Most of their success is due to Dwight Howard developing a respectable post game -- thanks to all the hard work he and Ewing have put in together. If he keeps on working on it this offseason and comes back with an even bigger repertoire next year, then the rest of the league better watch out. Stan Van Gundy is a phenomenal coach too. But remember: when it gets into the clutch, Hedo Turkoglu is the one that is making all the big plays to win the game. Hedo has got to be near the top of the list for the most underrated players in the game today.

Washington Wizards - Damn, they are terrible.

witness2010
03-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Surprises:
Devon Harris
Russell Westbrook
Eric Gordon--Watched him ***** on my Knicks, this kid puts in work!!
Shaq--Thought he just fell off...

Disappointments:
Greg Oden--WTF is up with this Broked!ck??
Baron Davis--What happened to this cat??
Elton Brand--What happened to this cat??
Jason Richardson--What are you doing my dude??

Vinny642
03-09-2009, 04:41 PM
^ Brand is out for the season...

montazingmvp
03-09-2009, 04:52 PM
my biggest surprises of the year....the cavs, didn't expect them to have such a good record. last year they only won 45 games...

also the pacers have been better without granger, and the thunder have been better without durant

alexander_37
03-09-2009, 05:02 PM

He is by far the best player in the league.

Quick fact Aaron Jamal Brooks only shoots 4 point shot's and shoots 158%.

Hellcrooner
03-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Ive been surprised by Nico Batum, nothing he did here in europe or with FRENCH team made me believe he would have such a nice first season.

chicagowhitesox
03-09-2009, 05:47 PM
i'm surprised how amazingly well dwyane wade is playing now that he's healthy.

Baller1
03-09-2009, 06:26 PM
Honestly, coming from a fan of the team, It's Westbrook.

I was extremely pissed with this pick, but he has definitely shut my *** up. Westbrook is an incredibly athletic player, and to me, making a very strong case for the ROTY.

Vinny642
03-09-2009, 06:55 PM
Westbrook is great, I think he'll be like Parker instead of a pass first PG

Faneik
03-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Rondo... He just keeps improving...In ways, a stat line doesn't show.

TheWaterboy
03-09-2009, 07:03 PM
The biggest surprise would have to be Russell Westbrook playing better than Derrick Rose, after everybody gave all the hype to Rose and Beasley.

he's is better? he has to be a leader. I don't think you can say either one has played better than one another.

$KnicksAndKobe$
03-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Cavs, Nuggets, and Wizards are the most surprising teams for me.

I didn't expect the Nuggets and Cavs to have this good of a record and I definitely did not expect the Wizards to suck this hard ... thanks to Arenas I'm assuming.

Oh and I dunno why you guys are so surprised about Westbrook. He was always a beast.
I am surprised on how freaking better Durant got in just one year.

dolfan720
03-09-2009, 08:50 PM
He is by far the best player in the league.

Quick fact Aaron Jamal Brooks only shoots 4 point shot's and shoots 158%.

why do you use his middle name when you say his name?

lorenz00
03-09-2009, 09:21 PM
biggest surprise pistons traded billups

biggest disappointment Raptors! wtf is wrong with you! lol

alexander_37
03-09-2009, 09:37 PM
why do you use his middle name when you say his name?

The man deserves the utmost respect.

baller1532
03-09-2009, 09:40 PM
suprise: melos d improved along wit rebounding; alos shaq being great again

disappointment: philly

BALLER R
03-09-2009, 09:41 PM
surprises:
Wade doing what hes going
Toronto (everything about them)
washington too
devin harris