PDA

View Full Version : What specifically is wrong with NBA officiating?

superkegger
03-08-2009, 09:06 PM
Obviously I've got my own take on this, but I'm just wondering what do you see as the biggest faults/criticisms in the NBA officiating?

Don't just say, "they suck," or "they're inconsistent." I'm looking for specifics.

For example:

NBA refs make playing defense too hard. Because basically no contact is allowed by the defensive player, it basically gives guards the ability to drive into the lane at will and just jump into people and they'll get a foul call. Even on plays where the offensive players shot/play is not inhibited by the contact, or is only a very minor contact, they still call the foul. Yet when bigs are in this same situation, battling down low for position, or going up for a bucket, much more contact is allowed, even though were it a guard driving from the perimeter that same contact would automatically be a whistle. The degree to which they give guards/wing players the benefit of the doubt on any kind of contact is ridiculous and makes it that much harder for teams to play good defense, especially on some of these top tier elite wing players.

bostncelts34
03-08-2009, 09:13 PM
Pretty much agree with your example dude.

For instance; today against the magic, Howard jumped into davis a few feet from the hoop. Davis, was literally standing there arms straight up, stiill on his feet. They called a foul on davis. Like, what was he suppose to do? It was a no win situation for him. Im not sure if it was on of those "superstar" calls or whatever. But it really irratated me. As you said, makes it impossible to play people. Especially a guy built like howard, you have to be able to body him up, but when you do you get called for some type of foul; yet he can lower his shoulder into you and plow you into the lane. makes no sense.

carter15
03-08-2009, 09:28 PM
theres just too many calls...anytime a guy falls theyll be a call that they were tripped or pushed.

superkegger
03-08-2009, 10:00 PM
theres just too many calls...anytime a guy falls theyll be a call that they were tripped or pushed.

Well, the number of total foul calls hasn't really increased from in the past until now. That has for the most part stayed pretty consistent. Which is somewhat surprising, because the pace of the game has been somewhat quicker the past few years as compared to the late 90's and early 2000's.

still1ballin
03-08-2009, 10:04 PM
they suck

Sidious
03-08-2009, 10:07 PM
The NBA's officiating is far better than NFL officiating but there are a few things that need improvement...one of those being more consistent with the calls. There shouldn't be more calls in favor of a team just because they're playing at home...call the game correctly.

grkmaster
03-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Obviously I've got my own take on this, but I'm just wondering what do you see as the biggest faults/criticisms in the NBA officiating?

Don't just say, "they suck," or "they're inconsistent." I'm looking for specifics.

For example:

NBA refs make playing defense too hard. Because basically no contact is allowed by the defensive player, it basically gives guards the ability to drive into the lane at will and just jump into people and they'll get a foul call. Even on plays where the offensive players shot/play is not inhibited by the contact, or is only a very minor contact, they still call the foul. Yet when bigs are in this same situation, battling down low for position, or going up for a bucket, much more contact is allowed, even though were it a guard driving from the perimeter that same contact would automatically be a whistle. The degree to which they give guards/wing players the benefit of the doubt on any kind of contact is ridiculous and makes it that much harder for teams to play good defense, especially on some of these top tier elite wing players.

You're pretty much right on... The ability of not being able to have your hand on a player on the perimeter and if you do its a stupid little foul... How in hell are you going to keep the guy from flying right by you if you can't even have your finger tips on the guy

BTownTeamsRKing
03-08-2009, 11:02 PM
they call toooo many fouls that have no effect on the play.
some of them have the biggest egos on Earth. like bavetta thinks hes the show. same with crawford

Frrrrank!!!
03-08-2009, 11:09 PM

For example:

Pretty much how it is.

elnino9
03-08-2009, 11:12 PM
The NBA's officiating is far better than NFL officiating but there are a few things that need improvement...one of those being more consistent with the calls. There shouldn't be more calls in favor of a team just because they're playing at home...call the game correctly.

definately agree with u. theyll make a call one end b/c of who it is or what team it is and down the other end it isnt a foul. im sure if they were more consistent with their calls they wouldnt be brought up as much.

Super.
03-08-2009, 11:17 PM
1.) the inconsistency - if your going to be terrible, be terrible all game to both teams
2.) let them play, don't call little ity bity fouls that don't really affect play
3.) the "superstar" effect, no player should EVER receive special benefit for being a good player. that's ridiculous, the little tiny fouls that get called on players guarding stars? blasphemous
4.) CALL A GOD DAMNED TRAVEL
5.) call a foul on last shot plays where people are fouled!
6.) the final and worst one - Home Court Advantage - Referees, Umpires, any officials of ANY SPORT are supposed to be UNBIASED towards ether team, yet teams get far better officiating at home, its utterly ridiculous

Chronz
03-09-2009, 05:01 AM
Nothing, its a hard job and people will complain regardless. They do horrible jobs on certain players and rookies but the NBA needs to hire more refs to clean up the game. Have 6-8 stationary refs, the fact that we have 3 that have to run to catch up to these guys is why its so hard for them. Games will last for hours but atleast people wont complain as much.

bostncelts34
03-09-2009, 09:22 AM
they call toooo many fouls that have no effect on the play.
some of them have the biggest egos on Earth. like bavetta thinks hes the show. same with crawford

lol like the call of Leon Powe on rashard lewis in a 3 pt game with 23 seconds to go, off the ball? lol

kswissdaf
03-09-2009, 09:51 AM
I wish there was somelike robot ref that made all the right calls

WSU Tony
03-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Too many BIG guys playing a non-contact sport, that's your answer. Oh, and guys yelling every time their wrist is slapped is just plain silly. These guys are "tough" but they cry out every time they get bumped.

THE MATRIX
03-09-2009, 10:20 AM
Too many BIG guys playing a non-contact sport, that's your answer. Oh, and guys yelling every time their wrist is slapped is just plain silly. These guys are "tough" but they cry out every time they get bumped.

Exactly!. I love B-BALL but these so called ballers are acting like soccer players. I can't believe grown men 260 lbs +, are flying around like that after being touched. They should be punished and have to play street ball.

(NO FOULS)

BTownTeamsRKing
03-09-2009, 10:21 AM
lol like the call of Leon Powe on rashard lewis in a 3 pt game with 23 seconds to go, off the ball? lol

my dad told me about it. unforntuetly i was doin school work for a presentation all weekend literally.

i heard the call was very unnnecessary and just the wrong call completely. i guess i picked a good game to miss lol apparently

BTownTeamsRKing
03-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Exactly!. I love B-BALL but these so called ballers are acting like soccer players. I can't believe grown men 260 lbs +, are flying around like that after being touched. They should be punished and have to play street ball.

(NO FOULS)

im all for that. stupid flopping

mrblisterdundee
03-09-2009, 11:53 AM
NBA referees give too many calls based on reputation. Just because a player is a star does not mean they should get any leeway. Everybody should get the same calls.

LAcowBOMBER
03-09-2009, 04:13 PM
You're pretty much right on... The ability of not being able to have your hand on a player on the perimeter and if you do its a stupid little foul... How in hell are you going to keep the guy from flying right by you if you can't even have your finger tips on the guy

That isn't the refs fault. It's the rules. The refs are bad because they don't consistently make the same calls. If its a foul one way, its a foul the other way. I don't care where the game is being played or what the score is, a foul is a foul.

And kinda of topic, but I hate that people think fouls should be even and if they are not the ref favored one team. Sometimes one team does just actually commit more fouls.

scandaless2
03-09-2009, 05:26 PM
I hate them damn make up calls --- one end they call the wrong call or not a call at all , and next trip down they call a bogus makeup call thats bull$h!t.

grkmaster
03-09-2009, 05:40 PM
That isn't the refs fault. It's the rules. The refs are bad because they don't consistently make the same calls. If its a foul one way, its a foul the other way. I don't care where the game is being played or what the score is, a foul is a foul.

And kinda of topic, but I hate that people think fouls should be even and if they are not the ref favored one team. Sometimes one team does just actually commit more fouls.

No its not the refs fault, its the front offices fault for implementing that rule. It was not a part of the game in the 90s where physical D was played. Now you cannot even play D like they used to without a foul being call right away

II KB KG II
03-09-2009, 06:01 PM
i think that people are getting not softer but they really flop too much then the official feels like he supposed to call something because it "looked like" a foul should be called when really one shouldnt be called, which then it gives the other team a huge advtage (the team that didnt do the flop). the nba should start not calling flops and eventually the nba is going to get used to it the way they got used to glen davis' ejection the other day...aka kurt rambis vs the celtics wasnt even a flagarent. so dont say it cant be changed it can be

superkegger
03-12-2009, 12:45 AM

NBA referees give too many calls based on reputation. Just because a player is a star does not mean they should get any leeway. Everybody should get the same calls.

This was basically what I was looking to get at.

IMO, while the refs do have their faults, I'm not sure they're the ones we need to be blaming for the problems we have with officiating.

The other night in the Lakers vs. Blazers game Sasha Vujacic put both of his hands on Brandon Roy's hip area. He didn't gain an advantage, if I recall correctly Roy had already picked up his dribble, and it didn't/wouldn't change the outcome of the play, but by the rulebook, that's illegal and a foul, and was called as such. Sasha didn't push him, lean on him, or do anything but have both of his hands on his hip, foul.

This kind of rule, which was instituted to help increase offensive production for ratings, has somewhat tainted a lot of the great offense we've seen. Michael was a once in a lifetime kind of player, and few players in a hundred years would be able to come close to replicating what he did under his circumstances. So the NBA in an attempt to make a replication of Michael, made it easier to do so.

So now, you just can't touch the shooter, at all, basically at any point. And not to pick on anybody, but certain guys like Devin Harris become vastly better players. They have the speed to go by a lot of guys and just jump into the lane and throw up a shot and draw the foul.

These are grown men, and basketball, while not a full contact sport, is a contact sport. It's not ballet, it's basketball. The NBA needs to examine its' rulebook and make it so that the offensive player doesn't have such an incredible advantage.

This, to a point would take care of a lot of the officiating problems. I think the officials feel a bit obligated to not call a foul on every single play, which by the rules they probably should. So they don't. But when guys like lebron, wade, kobe etc... have the ball as much as they do, and go to the hole as often as they do, or at the very least get defenders out of good position like they do, they really are fouled more than others. There's no doubt that they get the benefit of the doubt sometimes. But when you have the ball and are creating for yourself and others as much as they are, really, you're going to get fouled more than others. Allow for more contact, and you're still going to see a favoritism towards superstar players, but that's always going to be there, because they have the ball in their hands more often, and they just simply are harder to guard.

Allowing for more contact would also help the consistency of calls IMO. You wouldn't have a lot of these ticky tack calls because under new rule definitions, they wouldn't be fouls, and if it takes more contact for a fould to be called, I would think it would be clearer that contact was made, thus making a foul call easier to make.

Bottom line, NBA officiating is a tough job, and it's never going to be perfect. And that's ok, but the NBA and the rules it has implemented has made the officials job damn near impossible. I feel that the NBA has an obligation to its' fans and to its' players to change the rules to make the game better.

Kyle N.
03-12-2009, 12:49 AM
1.) the inconsistency - if your going to be terrible, be terrible all game to both teams
2.) let them play, don't call little ity bity fouls that don't really affect play
3.) the "superstar" effect, no player should EVER receive special benefit for being a good player. that's ridiculous, the little tiny fouls that get called on players guarding stars? blasphemous
4.) CALL A GOD DAMNED TRAVEL
5.) call a foul on last shot plays where people are fouled!
6.) the final and worst one - Home Court Advantage - Referees, Umpires, any officials of ANY SPORT are supposed to be UNBIASED towards ether team, yet teams get far better officiating at home, its utterly ridiculous

Wow, thanks. You summed up exactly what I was thinking. :)

cmoneytakemoney
03-12-2009, 01:33 AM
They need to fix the officiating problems because thr NBA is by far the worst officiated professional sport. The games aren't even close to being called evenly. The call fouls or palming or traveling calls on rookies and younger players that they would never call on the superstars like Lebron, Kobe, and D-Wade. The game should be called equally. You shouldn't be able to break the rules because you sell millions of jerseys. I watched the Boston Celtics vs. Miami Heat game tonight and the officiating was terrible. You know they male one awful call and then try to make it up to the other team by making another awful call and it just goes on and on like that all game. Make the right calls to begin with. They need to do something to fix it that's all I know.

GSW fan
03-12-2009, 03:06 AM
1-"Hand is part of the ball" is never called that way ( if a guy slaps a guys hand on a jump shot is is a fou)

2-Rule of vericality(if you jump straight up and you are not in the restricted area and ur hands are straight up, it is not a foul)

3-inconsistent calls

extreme k.closs
03-12-2009, 03:20 AM
they're drunk

downsos
03-12-2009, 03:30 AM
The best players don't get called for fouls as much as other players do.

S.J.Basketball
03-12-2009, 03:42 AM
My biggest problem is the FLOPPING calls. There needs to be a meeting with all the NBA refs and Stern to decide on what is a real charge and what is total BS. I don't know HOW they are going to do that, but they need to. And they need to take into account what players are consistently doing these when looking back on the replays to stop rewarding them for playing like a pansy.

Also I hate how flagrant fouls and ejections are handed out. What happened to rough play and the rowdiness of the NBA?? It's turned into a game full of touch fouls and sissy calls. What used to be a hard foul is now an ejection. It's not like this is the early days of UFC and rules needed to be implemented to make it more civil. It is BASKETBALL! Sometimes hard fouls will occur.

Hard fouls used to happen to let the other team know: You come down my lane be prepared to REALLY EARN your 2 points.

I don't see what's wrong with that. Call me crazy.

DrDEADalready
03-12-2009, 09:19 AM
they suck

There Inconsistant.

Kakaroach
03-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Not allowing players to be physical and inconsistency. It seems every time someone falls, the whistle is blown.